Default ~ Character Transfer Bug ~

Okay, I've posted quite often about not being able to transfer some of my characters from Wayfinder to Argonnessen. This time I have some new information. I rolled up a brand new iconic character on Wayfinder, fully leveled her to 15, then transferred all the items from the character I really wanted transferred - my bard - to the iconic. I've tried at least 10 times in over two years to have my bard transferred, but I kept getting emailed that the transfer encountered some sort of error. When asked about the error, they always tell me they had no information. Well, here's the information;

After transferring items to my iconic, I put in two transfer requests, one for the iconic, and one for the now naked and inventory bare bard. Guess which transfer went through? The bard. My iconic, with all the gear and items I wanted to bring over, encountered the error. So now I know, some piece of gear or item is causing the error. What I want to know is...

WHAT ITEM IS IT??? I'll remove it and PAY YOU to get me the rest of my **** to my play server!!! Jeez, two years and you couldn't tell me it's a fracking item causing this??? Please, pleasepleaseplease just figure out what item it is so I can get this show on the road. Dear god, look up my account and see how much money I not only give you yearly, but monthly. Give a guy supporting you guys some help, please! It's not a complicated issue, one answer and everything's fixed.

2015 DDO Players Council Seikojin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ppsm09 View Post
    Okay, I've posted quite often about not being able to transfer some of my characters from Wayfinder to Argonnessen. This time I have some new information. I rolled up a brand new iconic character on Wayfinder, fully leveled her to 15, then transferred all the items from the character I really wanted transferred - my bard - to the iconic. I've tried at least 10 times in over two years to have my bard transferred, but I kept getting emailed that the transfer encountered some sort of error. When asked about the error, they always tell me they had no information. Well, here's the information;

After transferring items to my iconic, I put in two transfer requests, one for the iconic, and one for the now naked and inventory bare bard. Guess which transfer went through? The bard. My iconic, with all the gear and items I wanted to bring over, encountered the error. So now I know, some piece of gear or item is causing the error. What I want to know is...

WHAT ITEM IS IT??? I'll remove it and PAY YOU to get me the rest of my **** to my play server!!! Jeez, two years and you couldn't tell me it's a fracking item causing this??? Please, pleasepleaseplease just figure out what item it is so I can get this show on the road. Dear god, look up my account and see how much money I not only give you yearly, but monthly. Give a guy supporting you guys some help, please! It's not a complicated issue, one answer and everything's fixed.
    Good information.

Try server only/account limited items. like exclusives (medium collectable bag?), or the anniversary stuff (can only have one bag, dice, cruncher per server).

Moved half of the items to another toon, got this;

Greetings *****,
    Thank you for your inquiry. I do apologize, however I am unable to transfer this character at this time. There is a bug in the system preventing this character from being transferred to Argonnesson. Unfortunately I do not have an estimated time when this issue will be resolved. If you have any further questions or concerns please reply to this message. Thanks!
    Eshyr
    Turbine, powered by our fans.

This was for the Iconic I made just for the move. Funniest part, I got that same message for my bard for 2+ years until the day I moved gear off of her. And again, they won't say what the bug is. Really love the don't have an estimated time part. Kinda' implies to me they're not even really looking into it. Again. Heh, maybe they'll just shut down premium services again for an unspecified amount of time, then randomly bring them back, claiming they're fixed when they're really not.

*Sigh* Ah well. 2+ years. Eventually Wayfinder might be populated, I might be able to go back and play there. *Shrugs* Love ya, Turbine.
    Last edited by ppsm09; 04-09-2014 at 06:03 PM.

Time to do a binary search!

Move half the items to one character, then try to transfer both of them. One goes through, one fails.

For the failed guy, move half the items to another character, and try to transfer both of them. Again, one goes through, one fails. Just keep repeating.

There a total of 7 tabs of 20 inventory slots available. Plus 16 worn items. Plus 5 bank tabs (or is it 6 now?) of 20 slots. So that's a total of 256 items (wow, that makes this math easy). 256 is 2 ^ 8. So you'll know exactly what the problem item is after only 8 total character transfers!

Of course . . . that's assuming there really is exactly 1 item causing the problem. And it only costs $20 a pop, so you can solve this mystery for as little as $160!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizard_Zero View Post
    One day I just wrote "Why Do I Die So Much?" in party chat, and that is how I learned about fortification.

Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Cardtrick View Post
    Time to do a binary search!

Move half the items to one character, then try to transfer both of them. One goes through, one fails.

For the failed guy, move half the items to another character, and try to transfer both of them. Again, one goes through, one fails. Just keep repeating.

There a total of 7 tabs of 20 inventory slots available. Plus 16 worn items. Plus 5 bank tabs (or is it 6 now?) of 20 slots. So that's a total of 256 items (wow, that makes this math easy). 256 is 2 ^ 8. So you'll know exactly what the problem item is after only 8 total character transfers!

Of course . . . that's assuming there really is exactly 1 item causing the problem. And it only costs $20 a pop, so you can solve this mystery for as little as $160!
    Actually if it's just one item you could solve it with just $20 and a lot of time.

1) Move one item from the main toon item to a mule and try and transfer the main toon.
    2a) If it works then that one item must be the problem and you're done.
    2b) If it doesn't give that item back to the main toon.
    3) Repeat as necessary using a different item each time.

Quote Originally Posted by Krelar View Post
    Actually if it's just one item you could solve it with just $20 and a lot of time.

1) Move one item from the main toon item to a mule and try and transfer the main toon.
    2a) If it works then that one item must be the problem and you're done.
    2b) If it doesn't give that item back to the main toon.
    3) Repeat as necessary using a different item each time.
    This is a good point. I was just so happy when I went to look at it as a binary search and the number of possible inventory items worked out exactly to an even power of 2 that I didn't think any more about it.

But man, can you imagine the tedium of trying that? Plus that way would fail if there were actually 2 problem items -- you'd get all the way to the end and still have no idea which ones were causing the problem. With the binary search method, you could potentially have 2 failure items, and the worst case scenario is that you'd have 2 simultaneous failing transfers -- in which case you'd just iterate one more time and split both of those characters' inventories. More expensive, but at least you'd know you weren't missing anything.

Or -- someone from Turbine could just communicate with OP on the issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizard_Zero View Post
    One day I just wrote "Why Do I Die So Much?" in party chat, and that is how I learned about fortification.

Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Cardtrick View Post
    Or -- someone from Turbine could just communicate with OP on the issue.
    It would probably be faster to iterate through every possible combination of items first.