Community Member

Talking This game needs Vision

Please implement darkvision for Dwarves and Drow.

Please implement low-light vision for Elves and Helves.

These are inherent racial traits. Why don't they have them?
    http://myaccount.turbine.com

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

/signed as long as it don't increase lag
    Gary Gygax quotes

The essence of a role-playing game is that it is a group, cooperative experience.

There is no winning or losing, but rather the value is in the experience of imagining yourself as a character in whatever genre you are involved in, whether its a fantasy game, the Wild West, secret agents or whatever else. You get to sort of vicariously experience those things.

Role-playing isn't storytelling. If the dungeon master is directing it, its not a game.

When AI approximates Machine Intelligence, than many online and computer run RPGs will move toward actual RPG activity. Nonetheless, that will not replace the experience of "being there" anymore than seeing a theatrical motion picture can replace the stage play.

The secret we should never let the game masters know is that they don't need any rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Tscheuss View Post
    Please implement darkvision for Dwarves and Drow.

Please implement low-light vision for Elves and Helves.

These are inherent racial traits. Why don't they have them?
    Only useful/needed if we got more quests like Rainbow In The Dark. But do you really want to run many quests with just black/white coloration? That will get pretty tough for your eyes. Then Low Light Vision combined with a FvS Archon was the best choice.

And how do you treat 3rd person playstyle? If a Lantern Archon (teehee) provides light, what is with everything outside its radius when you have toons with darkvision?
    Characters on Orien:
    Wanzer/ Klingtanz/ Incanta Superior/ Mercantus

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by zwiebelring View Post
    Only useful/needed if we got more quests like Rainbow In The Dark. But do you really want to run many quests with just black/white coloration? That will get pretty tough for your eyes. Then Low Light Vision combined with a FvS Archon was the best choice.

And how do you treat 3rd person playstyle? If a Lantern Archon (teehee) provides light, what is with everything outside its radius when you have toons with darkvision?
    Could also see better in the Underdark and other dimly lit areas.

Never make sense that a Drow or Dwarf would need goggles to see better in the Underdark.

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

I first read this as the game needs Venison.

Guess I've been in the stormhorns too much lately.
    Magical Rings are well... magical. - Gandalf

Could also see better in the Underdark and other dimly lit areas.

Never make sense that a Drow or Dwarf would need goggles to see better in the Underdark.
    I'd love to see it implemented as well, for immersion sake. But, I am pretty sure it is something we have to sacrifice in order to have a playable game for longer than 1-2 hours . Think about the Shadowfell effect in What Goes Up. I don't mind suffering a bit for one quest. But Wheloon area + Mirror Darkly + What Goes Up is too much for my eyes.
    Characters on Orien:

It could be implemented via fog. All races have fog and it gets pushed in or out based on race/class/gear/feats/enhancements, etc.

Community Member

I'd love to see it implemented as well, for immersion sake. But, I am pretty sure it is something we have to sacrifice in order to have a playable game for longer than 1-2 hours . Think about the Shadowfell effect in What Goes Up. I don't mind suffering a bit for one quest. But Wheloon area + Mirror Darkly + What Goes Up is too much for my eyes.
    I believe they only take effect in dark or poorly lit areas. Should be normal in regular light, so everything should look normal for these races as long as there is some light, and black & white for dwarves and drow when there is no light. I need to ask my uncle to see his books again, since I cannot recall whether having darkvision includes low-light vision in dim areas.

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

I believe they only take effect in dark or poorly lit areas. Should be normal in regular light, so everything should look normal for these races as long as there is some light, and black & white for dwarves and drow when there is no light. I need to ask my uncle to see his books again, since I cannot recall whether having darkvision includes low-light vision in dim areas.
    http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbi...htm#darkvision
    SRD is your friend. No it does not in 3.5.

The advantage of darkvision is obvious but DDO is designed without needing it, so I doubt a real benfit for the game but instead I think of more frequent headaches in certain quests/sagas.
    Characters on Orien:

Community Member

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbi...htm#darkvision
    SRD is your friend. No it does not in 3.5.

The advantage of darkvision is obvious but DDO is designed without needing it, so I doubt a real benfit for the game but instead I think of more frequent headaches in certain quests/sagas.
    Nice, and Horcs have darkvision, too.

Another question. Do races with darkvision see normally in normal lighting, or are they permanently colorblind? In other words, is darkvision in addition to normal vision, or is it a replacement?

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

Another question. Do races with darkvision see normally in normal lighting, or are they permanently colorblind? In other words, is darkvision in addition to normal vision, or is it a replacement?

According to WotC...

The presence of light does not spoil darkvision. If a character has darkvision with a 60-foot range, and he stands within a 20-foot radius of light, the character can see normally in the light, and 40 feet beyond the light because of his darkvision.
    I think it operates only in low or no-light conditions. If characters with darkvision were always colorblind, how could one possibly explain some of the garish outfits they wear?
    Last edited by sebastianosmith; 04-07-2014 at 05:01 PM.
    The newest computer can merely compound, at speed, the oldest problem in the relations between human beings, and in the end the communicator will be confronted with the old problem, of what to say and how to say it. - Edward R. Murrow (1964)

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by sebastianosmith View Post
    According to WotC...

I think it operates only in low or no-light conditions. If characters with darkvision were always colorblind, how could one possibly explain some of the garish outfits they wear?
    Um... they wouldn't realize they were garish.

Thanks for the reference. Now we know that implementing darkvision for dwarves, drow, and horcs will not take away their normal vision.

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Seikojin View Post
    It could be implemented via fog. All races have fog and it gets pushed in or out based on race/class/gear/feats/enhancements, etc.
    Sounds good. Make it so.

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

Um... they wouldn't realize they were garish.
    Oh, they know what they're doing. "Cultural", they call it. Bah. I've seen things in a Petri dish with more "culture", and a smarter sense of style.
    The newest computer can merely compound, at speed, the oldest problem in the relations between human beings, and in the end the communicator will be confronted with the old problem, of what to say and how to say it. - Edward R. Murrow (1964)

Community Member

Am I mistaken or wasn't racial darkvision intended to happen with MOtU?

I just assumed it didn't work but got lost behind everything else that came in borked, and then everyone collectively forgot/didn't give a damn in the first place and it was never spoken of again.

Lost in my imagination.... or sometimes just living in Canada..

Default Natural undersun goggles, that toggles.

I've been thinking about this pretty much since I started playing DDO. When FR and the Underdark came out it really clicked in to me how perfect those Undersun Goggles were for replicating dark vision. What I think could be good is if creatures with darkvision get the ability like the goggles (and maybe something for low light vision creatures as well?) that can be toggles off and on as a hotbar/natural feat sort of option. (Like auto attack.)
    Basically, giving races with darkvision the natural ability of the undersun goggles, that can be toggled on/off.

ETA
    Quote Originally Posted by FrancisP.Fancypants View Post
    Am I mistaken or wasn't racial darkvision intended to happen with MOtU?

I just assumed it didn't work but got lost behind everything else that came in borked, and then everyone collectively forgot/didn't give a damn in the first place and it was never spoken of again.
    I had thought that was going to happen as well. I couldn't tell you where I read it, or heard it, so I'm not 100% sure that it was going to actually be a new thing or I had just miss-read something and thought it was coming out.
    Last edited by Luadrilae; 04-07-2014 at 05:38 PM. Reason: ETA
    (Formally known as Luadrilae)

Phaeshalee likes you. Yes... you.
    My deviantART gallery