Centre of the Universe-ish, winterland version

Default Red-named Generic Monsters - Is this a new thing?

I was running Epic Tharashk Arena a few days ago, and in the arena fight I was surprised to see red-named mobs apearing in each of the various waves. I haven't run the quest in a while, but I feel quite sure that in previous runs the only red named enemies I saw were Deadheart and his little buddy. Is this a recent-ish change, or is my memory just faulty.

I'll note that the red named trash mobs were all spellcasters - Mudwallow Ogre Mage, Horns of Fury Shaman, etc. My hunch is that this was just a quick way to increase "difficulty", by making the only enemies that posed any kind of threat immune to insta-kills and incapacitation. Has anyone run this enough to confirm this - either that it was a change, or that I'm totally offbase and need to get my memory checked?
    Last edited by Mercureal; 06-30-2014 at 09:47 PM.
    ---------------------------------------
    * Thelanis - Mercure *
    C.L.A.W. (Council of Law and War)

Community Member

There should be no such thing as red name trash.

2015 DDO Players Council B0ltdrag0n's Avatar

It was the third stupidest thing that started with MOTU. The others being spell ward "slow" and the first being Lolth in space
    Officer of Renowned

2015 DDO Players Council Seikojin's Avatar

I think you will find that on EH or higher. However, it does make some sense to control the last fight, to have the enemies buffed against common instant wins.

Quote Originally Posted by Bridge_Dweller View Post
    There should be no such thing as red name trash.
    ^This.

Every Red deserves a name or it shouldn't be Red.
    Jotmon - Let's not forget why we play these games - to have fun - ~
    Guild: Degenerate Matter - 200 (Former Guilds: ChaosKnights, Big Damn Heroes, Shadowfiends, Order of the Drow, Unusual Suspects, Raided R)
    Argo-Jotmon(Completionist - before the Otto's/XP pots easymode), Jotmonheals(Clr17/Rog2/Mnk1-Epic Completionist), Whatthetruck.. and many many more alts..

Update 24: Champions... "whew, it's ok, it's only a red name" .. sad day when trash spawn Champions and their one-shot ignore fort attacks instill more party fear than the Red named bosses.

Centre of the Universe-ish, winterland version

So, I can't tell for certain from the responses if this is a recent development, though they seem to lead that way. Maybe I haven't noticed because I haven't run a lot of epic quests recently - how widespread is it?

And I was running on epic normal, for what that's worth.
    * Thelanis - Mercure *
    C.L.A.W. (Council of Law and War)

Community Member

Started with MotU. Have you run Caught in the Web? The number of unnamed reds in there is astounding. Incanters in Unquiet Graves. Minotaur shaman in VoN 2 (can't remember if it was this way when the cap was 20).

I think Donald Rumsfeld said it best: "Reports that say there's -- that something hasn't happened are always interesting to me, because as we know, there are named names; there are things that we name that are named. We also know there are named unnameds; that is to say we name some things we do not name. But there are also unnamed unnameds, the ones we don't name we don't name."
    I Cannith-craft (150 levels in all schools) for free on Thelanis if you provide all needed materials.
    Getting Past Traps without Trap Skills | Musical Musings

Not everything should be autowin just because one plays a necro specialized Wizard .

I welcome all changes that make people adapt a little bit, i would definitely throw in more random spawn spots for Redname monstas in every longer dungeon.
    Easy access to Spellpotions have trivialized the combat encounters beyond reason.

On another note: 100% immunities without opportunity to break them to at least 95% are really bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercureal View Post
    So, I can't tell for certain from the responses if this is a recent development, though they seem to lead that way. Maybe I haven't noticed because I haven't run a lot of epic quests recently - how widespread is it?
    It's widespread... even look at the explorer areas.

Old explorer area: King Forest = Panthers
    New explorer area: Three-Barrel Cove = Tree of Death

The red named trash in new raid is also annoying (BattleRagers).
    Dorian

And I was running on epic normal, for what that's worth.
    In that specific quest, those specific mobs have been red named for as long as I can remember.
    Owy Evoker FvS / Praledric Completionist Qstaff Rogue/Monk/Druid / Laraeph DC Wizard / Laraelph AA Monk/Ranger/Pally / Gaenry Shiradi Sorc/FvS/Wiz / Reasis SWF Pally & numerous others
    The Leveller for DDO!

2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by -Zephyr- View Post
    In that specific quest, those specific mobs have been red named for as long as I can remember.
    Yes. Red-named trash has (sadly) become a lot more common lately, but it's been in Epic VoN1 for years, since the level-cap-20 days.

Default As long as i remember

I'll note that the red named trash mobs were all spellcasters - Mudwallow Ogre Mage, Horns of Fury Shaman, etc. My hunch is that this was just a quick way to increase "difficulty", by making the only enemies that posed any kind of threat immune to insta-kills and incapacitation. Has anyone run this enough to confirm this - either that it was a change, or that I'm totally offbase and need to get my memory checked?
    Since the introduction of N/H/E to epics on Hard or Elite those casters have always been red-named. You either missed it or never ran it.

I hate the red named trash mobs in Thunderholme (Magma Brute ***) for example which is stupid imo.

In the mentioned VON 1 they have a "purpose" for me ,as do the Minotaur Shamans in VON2 for example, since only trash mobs in the whole quest makes it to easy for some players sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by JOTMON View Post
    ^This.

Every Red deserves a name or it shouldn't be Red.
    I would go even further and say every red name should also have a chest
    Keepers of Khyber - Proud Guild Leader

Quote Originally Posted by Flavilandile View Post
    This is how it should scale: Random loot < Named Loot < Raid Named Loot.
    The Trophy Room A great idea. Please do this devs!

Quote Originally Posted by janave View Post
    Not everything should be autowin just because one plays a necro specialized Wizard .

I welcome all changes that make people adapt a little bit, i would definitely throw in more random spawn spots for Redname monstas in every longer dungeon.
    Easy access to Spellpotions have trivialized the combat encounters beyond reason.

On another note: 100% immunities without opportunity to break them to at least 95% are really bad.
    Sure im all down with every mob being red. But reward me for killing your boss named mobs.
    The blade itself incites to deeds of violence.
    Highlanders Cannith - Kalimah, Calimah, Rustymonster, Kraps, Nepheli, Wurshuper

Community Member

I just wish bosses didn't have complete blanket immunity to so many fundamental effects. It seems like they want to introduce more variety in viable playstyles for the game....but then they take the most challenging part of any quest, the boss fight, and make it so the only currency is DPS and damage avoidance.

It doesn't really matter if you can solo EE with your CCs, instakills, stealth, etc., if you get to the end and the boss is like "Ha! DPS or go home!". If you need to beat that one guy to beat the quest, and you can only beat him with DPS, then you might as well just build for DPS all the time.

You'd think they could just make them less effective on bosses but not completely worthless. Give them a Slippery Mind-type effect, double or triple rolls on their already-high saving throws or just a blanket XX% chance to ignore CCs...make successful instakill effects take off 10% of their current life instead of 100% a la Mortal Fear...XX% reduction in slow/hold duration, etc. etc. Enough so that it still mitigates some of the difficulty of the fight without completely subverting it.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by janave View Post
    So make them orange named, I have no issue with that.