Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zeonardo View Post
    But the Lantern Archon also piked a lot, made irritating noise and died all the time with a long cooldown to summon another, so not a big loss.
    It piked because they never fixed the blasted thing. It never regens SP and hasn't for years. I've lost track of the number of bug reports I put in about that.

But this is one of the few updates that ever made me want to shed a tear of sadness. And soley because of this change. Very sad/patheic, but true.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan_Milic View Post
    But the server/client positional arguments based on ladders or jumping and getting red alert instantly wont be fixed?
    Fixed that for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    No, I'm not saying that. Rather, the trail that began with looking into performance improvements in Thunderholme eventually led into the discovery of the impact that the summoned archon had on game performance. Unrelated, except for the process that led to its discovery.
    Honestly, I've wondered how long it was going to be allowed to be a light source. Several years ago.... I think it was Keeper that stated that too many light sources and the engine started to choke. 7 was the magic number I think.

Looks like that day has finally come.
    Last edited by Missing_Minds; 04-07-2014 at 12:55 PM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Missing_Minds View Post
    But this is one of the few updates that ever made me want to shed a tear of sadness. And soley because of this change. Very sad/patheic, but true.
    I'll go ahead and confess that for a few weeks now, every time I got a sweet high four digit crit with boulder toss (or even the occasional 5 digit one), I had a sense of regret since I knew it was going to be taken away soon and turbine would not replace it with anything near as nice.

It is funny the things in the game that are part of the fun factor.

Quote Originally Posted by Ancient View Post
    I'll go ahead and confess that for a few weeks now, every time I got a sweet high four digit crit with boulder toss (or even the occasional 5 digit one), I had a sense of regret since I knew it was going to be taken away soon and turbine would not replace it with anything near as nice.

It is funny the things in the game that are part of the fun factor.
    I hear ya on the boulder toss. But the fact that spell power effect it never made any sense to me means I'm not going to miss it as much.

But this one... *sheds tear* Poor Archon... no more the light that it used to be. Forced to succumb to old age.

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    No, I'm not saying that. Rather, the trail that began with looking into performance improvements in Thunderholme eventually led into the discovery of the impact that the summoned archon had on game performance. Unrelated, except for the process that led to its discovery.
    Then I will assume that the Favored Soul's Summon Archon, which is still providing light by the way, was intended to be changed as well. Otherwise the only way I could see this actually being a worthwhile correction would be if the method to give an archon a light involved every single summon having one attached regardless of whether or not it was actually used.
    Last edited by Ryiah; 04-07-2014 at 01:01 PM.
    Ryiah | Raeyah | Reikara
    Toy Soldiers

I don't know anyone who summons the lantern archon monster.

I do know the lantern Archon lvl 4 summons was under scrutiny for Mabar lag and chaos back in the day, To the point where players were summoning it just to grief. Would cause freeze ups and major lag. Maybe some players do it just to grief groups in thunderholme or something.

This summons has been trouble for performance for awhile now. Perfect excuse to just remove the summons from the game and add in one that is not so buggy and still throws some light.
    Born to play, Forced to work !

Quote Originally Posted by badbob117 View Post
    This summons has been trouble for performance for awhile now. Perfect excuse to just remove the summons from the game and add in one that is not so buggy and still throws some light.
    Light sources, especially if they have dynamic shadows, always have fairly big performance penalties associated with them. It actually wouldn't surprise me if the summon really did bring a big performance hit.
    Last edited by Ryiah; 04-07-2014 at 01:13 PM.
    Ryiah | Raeyah | Reikara
    Toy Soldiers

Community Member

Or can decrease the number of mobs and respawn. If engine can't handle the number of mobs, make less of them and make them stronger.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ryiah View Post
    Light sources, especially if they have dynamic shadows, always have fairly big performance penalties associated with them. It actually wouldn't surprise me if the summon really did bring a big performance hit.
    20 years ago, sure. It was never causing problems in Rainbow years ago even on hardware that was outdated then.

2015 DDO Players Council
    Axel's DDO Channel

I'm all for this if it reduces DDO's lag problems!

Who cares, the latern archon was only useful in one quest. I'm suprised people are actually whining about it.

Click the banner above to get to my DDO youtube channel
    Twitch page: www.twitch.tv/axel311
    Streaming DDO on Twitch, usually on Fridays @ 9PM Eastern

Quote Originally Posted by oweieie View Post
    It was never causing problems in Rainbow years ago even on hardware that was outdated then.
    I suppose it could be related to non-graphical lighting calculations. Last I knew the stealth system took lighting into consideration. DDO is very complex and it is hard to say how everything is intertwined.
    Ryiah | Raeyah | Reikara
    Toy Soldiers

Miasto Stołeczne Warszawa (The Capital City of Warsaw)

Anyone tried undersun goggles in that quest?

(probably shoudn't post it here, because, if they help, guess what's nerfed in next hotfix)
    Quote Originally Posted by Originally Posted by Random Person #2 View Post
    People who exploit bugs in code are cheaters cheaters cheaters. And they are big fat ****yheads too.

Maybe alternative lights sources should be offered.

For rainbow having a pack of torches lying inside the entrance would allow latecomers to get to the party. Not many people would want to use them the whole quest since it would take up one hand, but it would at least let you catch up, or if you get separated get back to the party....

For the record I really like Rainbow, but having only one lights source available is stupid.
    Argonessenn -Officer of Storm Shadow-
    Olen Anteres

2015 DDO Players Council
    Axel's DDO Channel

Quote Originally Posted by BurnerD View Post
    Maybe alternative lights sources should be offered.

For rainbow having a pack of torches lying inside the entrance would allow latecomers to get to the party. Not many people would want to use them the whole quest since it would take up one hand, but it would at least let you catch up, or if you get separated get back to the party....

For the record I really like Rainbow, but having only one lights source available is stupid.
    I don't think it's stupid, god forbid we have a quest where the party needs to stay together and work as one unit.

Click the banner above to get to my DDO youtube channel
    Twitch page: www.twitch.tv/axel311
    Streaming DDO on Twitch, usually on Fridays @ 9PM Eastern

Quote Originally Posted by Vellrad View Post
    Anyone tried undersun goggles in that quest?

(probably shoudn't post it here, because, if they help, guess what's nerfed in next hotfix)
    They don't, I checked when MOTU first came out.

Can we get the brightness cranked up a bit to compensate? I hate changing my brightness settings, and straining my eyes. The darkness mechanic is ******, and you are removing one of the few ways to migrate it.

You can still see the enemies and stuff, all it does is strain your eyes. Blah.

Quote Originally Posted by axel15810 View Post
    I don't think it's stupid, god forbid we have a quest where the party needs to stay together and work as one unit.
    Except lack of a light source never really stopped me from going off on my own in that quest.
    Ryiah | Raeyah | Reikara
    Toy Soldiers

I still think it is funny that only one cave in two entire worlds is dark enough to warrant a torch. Even the underdark isn't dark enough for that. Even the Drow's magical darkness effect wasn't that dark. Can we get three cheers for used once, then abandoned, systems and mechanics? As for a "Lantern" Archon not providing light, that is in my honest opinion, extremely <Insert your favorite expletive here (mine is *&^%$)> !

FYI I have ever run Rainbow in the Dark using only SLAs as flashes of light to guide me, so that is an option as well.
    Last edited by Havok.cry; 04-07-2014 at 02:36 PM.
    Matt Walsh:
    But Truth is eternal, so it can never be old or new. It never ‘was’ or ‘will be.’ It just ‘is.’ It always ‘is.’

Quote Originally Posted by Havok.cry View Post
    FYI I have ever run Rainbow in the Dark using only SLAs as flashes of light to guide me, so that is an option as well.
    Eternal wand of ____ worked in the same fashion equally as well and I've done it that way before. Acid Splash seemed to have the best "glow" as it were.

So, really, Jerry... looks like you need to go back to the developers and tell them they have more light nerfing to do.

edit: And I apologize for how snarky that sounds. It was not meant to be, but if performance is mattering that much they need to look at those as well if they haven't.

Community Member

Oh, it looks like they did another not needed change... They nerfed fvs wings only because of 1 shiny new quest called Lord of Blades. of course noone runs LoB anymore. So, they changed a level 4 summon because of their new shiny wilderness called Thunderholm. Guess what, people will still run Rainbow in the Dark when Thunderholm will be so empty, most of us won't remember where is its entrance.

Unneeded change and lacks the knowledge of their own game lag issues. How many anchorn we have in Wheloon prison when the lag kills entire parties?! Zero.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast