Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Founder & Build Synthesis Battlehawke's Avatar

Default Trading Card Game. Great Concept but discouraging.

I haven't discussed it too much but I have come to the conclusion that the card game was just a turn off for me. I think its a great idea with tons of potential and they seem to have invested a lot of time into it but it just was dissapointing for me.

I have drawn cards on every server at least a couple times each and pulled on Gallahanda every day except for three days. I have not received a single 9 or 10 Card. Not one. Is that the intent? That some people won't? Does that mean that some people pulled it a bunch? Or that most of us never saw them? Every game needs to have a certain amount of fairness and I get the "trading" thing, but with that kind of effort (over 80 cards) shouldn't I have seen them at least once?

At first I thought it was just my poor luck, but I have talked to 5 other people who have had the same "poor" experience. They too have not seen the number 9 or 10 card.

I still love DDO and will continue to play it with the same passion. I will have a few xp pots or whatever I trade my cards in for free, and that's not so bad. However, again I ask if that was the intent? That some people get none?

Was it just the luck of the draw? Did many of you have the same experience? Or was it so dissapointing for so many of you?

B
    Last edited by Battlehawke; 04-05-2014 at 11:36 PM.
    The Best Server: Gallhanda

Looking for a great guild? Check Out Our Guild: http://www.oldtimersguild.com/vb/forum.php

Looking for some good builds to play? https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...for-Characters

Community Member

108 cards from just opening all the boxes and first rolls across all accounts and servers, then 7-11 every day, depending how ambitious I was that day and I saw all of one card 9, no 10's. I'd guess 9 & 10 to have a drop rate of less than half a percent combined. So, no, I doubt it was set up with everyone getting one in mind.

There were only 10 cards. 2 of them were so rare that noone I know got one. and the other 8, well ive got 5-7 each of those. Not sure what the incentive for trading was supposed to be.

Having also received no 9 or 10 cards (on my one and only account, only trying on the one server I play on) I have to say I'm not really that bummed about it. Sure a couple 9s would've been nice for the UMD Tomes, and/or some 10s for the +4 Skill tomes; but by & large I found this to be quite preferable to the cake where most of the (IMO) good stuff was BTC and useless for my (many) bank alts. But what the heck, it was all free right?

P.S. Am I the only one who was (pleasantly) surprised that there was no shard option for extra rolls?
    I would still like to see... Something that tests character versatility and player adaptability rather than character focus strength and quest knowledge.
    I play the quests for the content of the quests not just as an XP/min merry-go-round.
    Actual play experience is worth infinitely more than theorycrafting...

Pirate Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Gremmlynn View Post
    108 cards from just opening all the boxes and first rolls across all accounts and servers, then 7-11 every day, depending how ambitious I was that day and I saw all of one card 9, no 10's. I'd guess 9 & 10 to have a drop rate of less than half a percent combined. So, no, I doubt it was set up with everyone getting one in mind.
    This. I've rolled for 3 vip accounts on all worlds daily, and rolled only a single 10. Succesfully traded for some more rares, but in all, yes they ARE extremely rare.
    But I do LOVE the event

Greetz,
    Red Orm

I only had four accounts I could roll on, but made sure I rolled once every 18 hours for each account. I got lucky enough to roll two 9's, but no 10's, and a heck of a lot of 8's and 3's.

I was lucky enough to trade ten low-number cards I didn't really care for to get a 10, so at least one of my characters has an endless potion.
    "Why is stuff so hard?" - William Murderface

I'd agree with those who thought this was one of the better Turbine giveaways--probably the best. There was a large range of useful items and the card designs really appealed especially to those of us who have been playing D&D in some form since the dawn of time. I do, however, agree that the 9 and 10 cards were rarer than they should have been. Unless I roll one tomorrow I'll have gone through this whole process without receiving even one. Still, it's been a good event and I hope Turbine considers making the cards rare loot in our standard chests.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Battlehawke View Post
    I haven't discussed it too much but I have come to the conclusion that the card game was just a turn off for me. I think its a great idea with tons of potential and they seem to have invested a lot of time into it but it just was dissapointing for me.
    I can't really see how this event is a disappointment. You get a lot of free stuff that is really useful for free.
    He left the name, at which the world grew pale.

Math never helps solve problems, it only further complicates them.

Free loot is Free.
    http://myaccount.turbine.com

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

Quote Originally Posted by donblas View Post
    I can't really see how this event is a disappointment. You get a lot of free stuff that is really useful for free.
    I much preferred the birthday boxes with static rewards.

1) Open box
    2) Select reward
    3) Done

Sure I have a pile of cards that I can crunch into some things but, the randomness of the whole event left some with and some without.
    Trading on the AH was overlooked
    Cards were exploited
    Trade forums, General chat, LFM panel, Trade Chat were flooded with traffic that bogged down their actual usefulness.
    Cross server trade unsafe
    Accounts created to get more Cards
    Shared Cool down Mechanic on Endless flasks make the rewards for the rarer cards a bit diminishing as well as limiting the usefulness of the endless flask from Cove that was a gargantuan grind.

9s and 10s are rare yes but easily traded for {500k plat has quickly become a standardized price for either WHEREAS items that are available in game permanently go for much much more!}.

This past month has been great for gearing up my f2p alt accounts and making sure I have enough Slayer and Mnem pots to last me through to 2020!

However I have got the feeling in the past week or two that ONE card is much more popular amongst players than any other:

No matter what time of day and on what server {except Wayfinder obviously!} you log on you'll find at least one player in the harbour desperately asking for 2s in trade. {And it's not always been me either!}.

1s, 5s and 8s seem to have been the next most wanted whilst 3s, 4s, 6s and 7s despite the latter 3 being 3/4 of the equation for Major or Superior Mnem pots have been offered over and over again in return for 1s,2s,5s and 8s!

I've even stopped collecting Superior Mnem Pots as they only stack to 100 in Shared Bank and I can't spare more than 2 slots!

I do have two major issues though: The Image Gallery being:
    1) Character Based and making me log on over and over again to every single character to double click cards as I got them and relog to make certain it had gone through!
    2) Vanishing on TR - This hasn't been a huge problem yet as I have TRd just one character this month and he didn't lose a rare card BUT Turbine are going to get lots and lots of complaints as more and more players TR and lose their Image Galleries when there's no possible way to replenish them!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Oxarhamar View Post
    I much preferred the birthday boxes with static rewards.

1) Open box
    2) Select reward
    3) Done
    With the cards I've equipped all 29 of my lvl11+ toons on Khyber with at least +3 tomes on all significant stats.
    I've been able to add skill tomes to those who had too many necessary skills to be covered by the free tomes I got buying expansions
    I've had a great time with major slayer boosts in high level slayer areas
    Sovereign XP elixirs
    Plus loads left to use when and if I need them.

The birthday boxes don't compare, even if you weren't lucky enough to get the rare cards.

Congrats to the staff in designing a great event.

And the cards look brilliant and recall the time when I first stated D&D decades ago.
    He left the name, at which the world grew pale.

Math never helps solve problems, it only further complicates them.

Quote Originally Posted by donblas View Post
    With the cards I've equipped all 29 of my lvl11+ toons on Khyber with at least +3 tomes on all significant stats.
    I've been able to add skill tomes to those who had too many necessary skills to be covered by the free tomes I got buying expansions
    I've had a great time with major slayer boosts in high level slayer areas
    Sovereign XP elixirs
    Plus loads left to use when and if I need them.

The birthday boxes don't compare, even if you weren't lucky enough to get the rare cards.

Congrats to the staff in designing a great event.

And the cards look brilliant and recall the time when I first stated D&D decades ago.
    Your opinion only I'm with the Birthday box is better crowd.

Wonder how much time you spent doing that. I spent that time playing the game instead of in trade channel or creating dummy accounts

Community Member

Was it just the luck of the draw? Did many of you have the same experience? Or was it so dissapointing for so many of you?
    No offense but I don't se how you (and me) not getting lucky in the card-draw makes the concept discouraging.

I mean I got both the perfect TOD rings in 3 runs for my ranger, I got a +5 mith fullplate when regular +5 fullplates were seen as the best item in game but it took me 160 runs on my barb to get the SoS base item from Von5 (got the more elusive exuum in a fraction of the time) and never ever got a single WoP drop (with 6 or 4 crit range) when wop rapiers were the best item in game. It's just the law of numbers and luck/bad luck.

And, as opposed to the sos base item above, the cards are tradeable so anyone who was unlucky can use some of their luck in other places to trade items/pp/shards for the card(s) they are missing. Also the card crunched stuff is very nice but nowhere near gamebreaking.

So imho - very good event.
    Last edited by grandeibra; 04-06-2014 at 08:04 AM.

Pirate Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council

Your opinion only I'm with the Birthday box is better crowd.
    *shrug* Some people like quick and simple, some like complicated and tricky. Many of people are enjoying it a lot, whether they just roll their single card every day or trade cross server for multiple accounts.
    If you really just wanted something like the cakes, you could easily have opened your box, roll the D20, crunch 6 of your cards, and destroy everything else before going on your merry way.

Greetz,
    Red Orm

I just rolled my main account everyday. Did not bother rolling up 150 new acouts or going onto other servers.

That said, I got skunked on 9 and 10, But still managed to trade a holy symbol of lolth i had in my bank for a card XI. So i am thankful for the card trading. Worked out for me. Got my Fom Flask a couple of 50% pots and im good to go for a TR.

They are rare man. Straight up. It is like the SOS shard, Torc and Mysterious bauble. Some people will luck out. Others will grind for years to never see that rare item. It took me well over 100 Goes of hard and elite Eye of the titan to ever see a eardweller back in the day. My buddy got his after like 3 completions. That is the way the cookie crumbles in DDO. Thankfully we could actually trade for these rare items unlike so many in the game. So its not so bad in my books.

Go hang around harbor and market, Chances are someone will want to trade a rare card for something you got horded.
    Last edited by badbob117; 04-06-2014 at 07:37 AM.
    Born to play, Forced to work !

Quote Originally Posted by FranOhmsford View Post
    9s and 10s are rare yes but easily traded for {500k plat has quickly become a standardized price for either WHEREAS items that are available in game permanently go for much much more!}.
    500k, you cant get card 9 and 10 for 2m here.

As a Premium player this event was the BEST EVAR.

I was able to stock my entire family with +3 tomes, rest shrines, and, sovereign elixers (plus we have tons of Raid timers to sell for easy AS)

The 9 & 10 drop had to be pretty rare though, out of hundreds of cards- I did not get ANY. (won't say how many hundreds though ;P)

Also- as an old school PNP D & D player- I did geek out pretty hard on the drawings.
    Last edited by Arnez; 04-06-2014 at 08:12 AM.

Community Member the_one_dwarfforged's Avatar

Wonder how much time you spent doing that. I spent that time playing the game instead of in trade channel or creating dummy accounts
    this
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    By the way, sorry for the folks I dropped the death cube on. Except I'm not sorry.
    Quote Originally Posted by DDOTalk71 View Post
    Due to the rising costs of OlladraCare, the Coin Lords laid off Mari and outsourced her job to foreigners.

#MakeStormreachGreatAgain
    Quote Originally Posted by changelingamuck View Post
    Class balance isn't a black-or-white...issue...

The main reason the IXs and Xs are not extremly rare is unfortunately that some people seem to have duped them.

With 3 VIP accounts across all servers I rolled 3 rare cards and trade for some more (80 common cards for 1 rare card).

I really liked the event but I am happy its done so I dont feel I need to log onto every server every day with 3 accounts.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast