Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
    Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Xyfiel View Post
    Larafey can almost solo the quest for you minus the red named and defending the queen. It takes her a few tries to destruct sometimes so she can run out of mana if you get unlucky getting to the journals.

Put her on passive, target the ogres, hit her destruction button.
    I did a double-take when you mentioned Larafay. That psycho will kill anything that moves. She will comet-fall stuff with just 1 hp left. She is the Ahab of the hirelings. Be *very* sure to put her on passive after that first book is found, or she will pulverize the next 5 spiders you find.

Well, if it's going to be such a huge issue...whatever happened to old-fashioned piking?
    "Why is stuff so hard?" - William Murderface

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Katie_Seaglen View Post
    I did a double-take when you mentioned Larafay. That psycho will kill anything that moves. She will comet-fall stuff with just 1 hp left. She is the Ahab of the hirelings. Be *very* sure to put her on passive after that first book is found, or she will pulverize the next 5 spiders you find.
    I miss the Larafay she used to be.

Community Member
    still fighting the unending armies of shavarath

That a girl You show your little sister Tanya how it's done!

(Tanya kicks ace too)

...J
    Thelanis: HoeLee, Rasminder, Cerinah, Arlinah, Shrenn, Rowkhan, Paladonis - Jakburton's Porkchop Express (now hiring)

Sarlona: Aingell of Death, KimberLee, Soullaris the Divine, Bendyr - The Order of Cygnus

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    The post you quoted was him saying he watched youtube videos of HH and Thunderholme because he couldn't run them.
    Think through the quest level discrepancy there and think through everything then that he can run and apparently does/has.

Quote Originally Posted by Missing_Minds View Post
    Think through the quest level discrepancy there and think through everything then that he can run and apparently does/has.
    I think EllisDee is saying that OP can't run those quests. It's entirely possible for someone to watch videos of HH and Thunderholme without having any characters even close in level to being able to run them.
    Last edited by Cardtrick; 04-09-2014 at 06:14 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizard_Zero View Post
    One day I just wrote "Why Do I Die So Much?" in party chat, and that is how I learned about fortification.

Community Member

A the new players complains again :-)

2 failed runs and never wanna do it again i i know it can be a lill disheartening but
    Come on..

I havent failed this quest in 3 years i think do you play on thelanis ? I ll help you run it.

Blogger and Hatchery Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council
    Texas - the most "MURICA!" part of 'murica! rawr

well... unfortunately as a first lifer, this alt wasn't able to open elite...

but i did complete it. solo. about 2 minutes ago

and that's with having to be careful in the end fight because i accidentally killed 1 spider in the main part of the quest. i had no safety net.

so yes. still doable. not broken. no issues

the official home of LOLWUT

LONG LIVE R.O.G.U.E ! Pay2Win AND PROUD
    Q: how do you get me to instantly appear in a thread? A: ask a bard question!

Community Member

The issue is the new targeting where you have to both hard target and manually align yourself with your target for melee auto attacks, because you hit whatever is directly in front of you. If you do a metric ton of damage per swing, it can be frustrating if an ogre moves around or a spider jumps in front of your attack as you hit stunning blow or something. A precise shot ranged shouldn't have a problem, nor should a caster.
    Last edited by Tilomere; 04-11-2014 at 02:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilomere View Post
    The issue is the new targeting where you have to both hard target and manually align yourself with your target for melee auto attacks, because you hit whatever is directly in front of you. If you do a metric ton of damage per swing, it can be frustrating if an ogre moves around or a spider jumps in front of your attack as you hit stunning blow or something. A precise shot ranged shouldn't have a problem, nor should a caster.
    you mean aim at what you're trying to kill? and swing when you need too? and don't do metric tons of damage when not needed?
    Inagaki
    Argo
    CoP

Blogger and Hatchery Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council
    Texas - the most "MURICA!" part of 'murica! rawr

i noticed that... i wasn't sure if it was an artifact of being a wolf, or if something had actually changed... it used to be that if you hard targeted a mob, if you weren't using a two handed weapon, you would only hit what you targeted... that was not the case when i ran dust yesterday. i did actually have an issue with hitting other mobs while i had an ogre hard targeted....

resulted in me needing to be very crafty. i completed with a variety of single pulling ogres and just plain running around (spiders chase faster than ogres... i let the spiders come to me, then ran to the ogres and killed fast) and i used my pet, set on passive, as a decoy in the end fight.

it was a challenge. i had to think about what i was doing, and do it carefully. but it was not an impossible challenge.

the official home of LOLWUT

LONG LIVE R.O.G.U.E ! Pay2Win AND PROUD
    Q: how do you get me to instantly appear in a thread? A: ask a bard question!

I always try to remember to turn off improved precise shot, thusly only using precise shot. However, be warned! Even if you hard target your orgre, once he dies and if you're still firing away with manyshot perhaps, you just might kill a spider or two!

Quote Originally Posted by Impaqt View Post
    How exactly did you get a greensteel blank if you've never been able to complete Dust?
    A few months ago I did Sleeping Dust for the stone. I managed to kill a fifth spider and the boss at about the same time - fail. But I immediately ran to the end chest and was able to loot it and get the stone before I got kicked out for failing the quest. So if this happens to you, run for the end chest and hope for the best. Apparently, the chest was unlocked when the boss died and the chest didn't have a "too many dead spiders" over-ride switch.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Knobull View Post
    Two failed efforts here, each over 2 hours long and each time the end bosses kill the spiders that are in the room with them causing the quest to fail.

The quest is extremely un-fun as it is without this sick joke at the end. Looks like my running mate and I will never see The Shroud until this quest is removed from the game or at least fixed. I would prefer to see the quest removed, it just is horribly boring and frustrating. It is the kind of thing one might quit over.

So as it stands, I will never get to see the most popular raid in the game, because the most hated quest in the game is broken as far as I can tell. Has anyone completed this quest since update 20?

Not fun. Most unhappy. I shall console myself with pizza and probably just start a new level 1 character again.
    Just completed this on elite with zero dead spiders, so I didnt encounter any issues.

Oh wow I think this was exactly my problem. I came to this thread because I failed this quest earlier today, and since it has been so long since I've run this quest (literally, years), I was trying to remember what the tricks were. My previous character was a Wiz, so back then it was just a bunch of Finger of Death. But today I tried it solo (Normal) on my lvl 20 THF Bard/Warchanter, except of course for Sleeping Dust I put away the THF and switched to sword and a shield with acid guard. I knew to skip picking up the first journal but I couldn't remember what I had to do to get the 2nd journal, so after I ended up clearing what I could except for whatever was behind locked doors, I went back and got the first journal, and then ended up running around trying to figure out where to go. And although I tried really hard to be careful with my positioning, etc., I ended up killing 5 spiders just by attrition and never found the 2nd journal. And this was even though i always had the ogres hard targeted. It was like I was still doing glancing blows on the spiders, despite just using a shortsword. There is so much moving around necessary to keep the ogre in position. Any thoughts on how to solo melee your way through this? Flesh to Stone scrolls, maybe?

Community Member

Any thoughts on how to solo melee your way through this? Flesh to Stone scrolls, maybe?
    Anything that you can think of. But the bottom line is be careful what you hit, how you position yourself etc. I soloed it on my fighter with a dwarven axe that actually deals glancing blows. Took a while, but manageable (oh, and I didn't kill any spider. I wanted the challenge).

It's like Crucible swim. Sure, you can evade your way in there or get a hire and raise your way in there, but can be done with a low HP toon with some good swim skills and no reflex save.
    My main server is Khyber. Have toons in almost every server for favor purposes. The Faltouts

Quote Originally Posted by DANTEIL View Post
    Oh wow I think this was exactly my problem. I came to this thread because I failed this quest earlier today, and since it has been so long since I've run this quest (literally, years), I was trying to remember what the tricks were. My previous character was a Wiz, so back then it was just a bunch of Finger of Death. But today I tried it solo (Normal) on my lvl 20 THF Bard/Warchanter, except of course for Sleeping Dust I put away the THF and switched to sword and a shield with acid guard. I knew to skip picking up the first journal but I couldn't remember what I had to do to get the 2nd journal, so after I ended up clearing what I could except for whatever was behind locked doors, I went back and got the first journal, and then ended up running around trying to figure out where to go. And although I tried really hard to be careful with my positioning, etc., I ended up killing 5 spiders just by attrition and never found the 2nd journal. And this was even though i always had the ogres hard targeted. It was like I was still doing glancing blows on the spiders, despite just using a shortsword. There is so much moving around necessary to keep the ogre in position. Any thoughts on how to solo melee your way through this? Flesh to Stone scrolls, maybe?
    Considering I have been farming for mats to make GS items, one tactic that works if you have to resort to melee is run the spiders away from the ogres and then circle around to take out the ogres while the spiders chase you back. The other strategy my wizard found (by accident) was the Cannith Challenge Boots seem to work very well against the spiders. GL though, it can be very frustrating finding the book(s), especially after reading the 1st.

Community Member

Note that if you kill no spiders whatsoever, including those before the first book, you get three chests at the end. Two are junk though and it's not worth the trouble.
    Not quite.

One chest for completion
    Second chest for not killing any spiders
    Third chest for killing all the ogre mages

Quote Originally Posted by DANTEIL View Post
    ok for this when you're done clearing and found the first book go ahead and pick it up. kill the boss etc. now here is a nice tip for you. when you're in the big room run around it looking up high using tab or backspace trying to find the book. once you locate it now you need to figure which tunnel works. so for example the tunnels that lead to the shrine are on the very outside. so i guess what nw and sw. then you have what north and south and then what ne and se? once you figure which tunnels will connect to the book go that way. normally i have no issue even on elite soloing. sure some damage can hurt, but i didn't say that wouldn't happen. most of the time i use sword/board if im using 2 handed. wraps if i have monk levels.

bow or caster turn off auto targeting so normally g unless you changed it. hard target. i hope some of that helps.

Waiting in the lava pits to chain trip you on the way to Prison of the Planes

Quote Originally Posted by arkonas View Post
    ok for this when you're done clearing and found the first book go ahead and pick it up. kill the boss etc. now here is a nice tip for you. when you're in the big room run around it looking up high using tab or backspace trying to find the book. once you locate it now you need to figure which tunnel works. so for example the tunnels that lead to the shrine are on the very outside. so i guess what nw and sw. then you have what north and south and then what ne and se? once you figure which tunnels will connect to the book go that way. normally i have no issue even on elite soloing. sure some damage can hurt, but i didn't say that wouldn't happen. most of the time i use sword/board if im using 2 handed. wraps if i have monk levels.

bow or caster turn off auto targeting so normally g unless you changed it. hard target. i hope some of that helps.
    The connected tunnels are:
    NW and SW (access for when the second book is at shrine),
    N and NE (access for when the second book is broadly N), and,
    S and SE (access for when the second book is broadly S).

If someone could remember whether it's N or S that has the book next to the explosive barrels that could provide even more clarity.
    Khyber: Aggrim (Completionist!)
    All of my builds are grossly out of date. Just roll a human or drow mechanic / assassin rogue thing.
    Blind insta-kills floating eye balls.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast