Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    54

    Default merge servers to increase server populations

    Server population has declined. Please merge everyone into 1, or 2 servers. Perhaps when DDO started many years ago this was impossible technologically. Now, technology has improved exponentially and I'm sure this can be managed.

    Players are becoming frustrated at being unable to find groups, etc. DDO has become largely a solo based game (different greatly from the social game that paper DnD is).
    viktoriya/booksniffer cannith

  2. #2
    The Hatchery stoerm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,565
    Last edited by stoerm; 08-14-2014 at 08:28 AM. Reason: Moar!
    Praise the Dark Six and pass the heals to pure melees.
    Full feat tree; Cannith; change; merger; evil; win; minmaxing; FotM; deja vu; Kobolds.
    Dungeons and Dragons Online ~ Nude Song and Gnarled Onions

  3. #3
    2014 DDO Players Council Flavilandile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    France
    Posts
    3,646

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wyvernmonarch7 View Post
    Server population has declined. Please merge everyone into 1, or 2 servers. Perhaps when DDO started many years ago this was impossible technologically. Now, technology has improved exponentially and I'm sure this can be managed.
    Are you willing you rename all your characters ?

    Quote Originally Posted by wyvernmonarch7 View Post
    Players are becoming frustrated at being unable to find groups, etc. DDO has become largely a solo based game (different greatly from the social game that paper DnD is).
    This is not caused by the lack of people, this is caused by other reasons ... say... Retarded Streak, Dungeon Scaling, Dungeon Alert... I can name a few more.
    During the 8 years of DDO many mechanisms have been put in place that are just a hindrance to forming full parties...
    On G-Land : Flavilandile, Blacklock, Yaelle, Millishande, Larilandile, Gildalinde, Tenalafel, and many other...

  4. #4
    The Hatchery Syllph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,992

    Default

    With ESO live, populations will likely drop even lower. DDO had a good run, but too many bugs, not enough listening to players, and basically something new and shiny (new game) has nailed the last nail in this coffin. RIP ddo.

  5. #5
    The Hatchery GeneralDiomedes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    5,282

    Default

    They really really should. And yes, it is different this time.

  6. #6
    Community Member Qhualor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    10,023

    Default

    im sure the same thing that's been said for the past 5 years will be said here.

    a new gane is coming out and people will leave DDO

    DDO has become a solo game with grouping options

    put up an lfm

    put 'IP" and your group will fill

    I don't have time to play and like that I can solo

    I don't want to wait 5 minutes to form a group

    thank Jimmy there is no more role playing in DDO!

    theres 5 lfms, but theres 500 people logged onto my server right now

    I judge the population by the amount of lfms

    I have no problem filling groups for Von 3

    pugs don't know how to play up to my standards and I don't want -10%

    other games have 1 server and can handle it, why cant DDO?

    im in a 5 man guild with players from 7 continents and its too difficult to get them on at the same time to run quests

    all is fine

    did I forget something?

  7. #7
    Community Member azrael4h's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Skara Brae
    Posts
    2,780

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qhualor View Post
    im sure the same thing that's been said for the past 5 years will be said here.

    a new gane is coming out and people will leave DDO

    DDO has become a solo game with grouping options

    put up an lfm

    put 'IP" and your group will fill

    I don't have time to play and like that I can solo

    I don't want to wait 5 minutes to form a group

    thank Jimmy there is no more role playing in DDO!

    theres 5 lfms, but theres 500 people logged onto my server right now

    I judge the population by the amount of lfms

    I have no problem filling groups for Von 3

    pugs don't know how to play up to my standards and I don't want -10%

    other games have 1 server and can handle it, why cant DDO?

    im in a 5 man guild with players from 7 continents and its too difficult to get them on at the same time to run quests

    all is fine

    did I forget something?
    You forgot "I'm Batman!"
    It was the night before Hogswatch....

    Optimus Prime/Grimlock 2016 Because in diplomacy, sending in the Dinobots is the only answer.

  8. #8
    Community Member bjones0064's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    97

    Default I vote for a server merge.

    Quote Originally Posted by wyvernmonarch7 View Post
    Server population has declined. Please merge everyone into 1, or 2 servers. Perhaps when DDO started many years ago this was impossible technologically. Now, technology has improved exponentially and I'm sure this can be managed.

    Players are becoming frustrated at being unable to find groups, etc. DDO has become largely a solo based game (different greatly from the social game that paper DnD is).
    Normally I would disagree with this type of move but I'm actually inclined to agree. I have been playing for a while and I have noticed it has gotten progressively slower to fill groups with random players. If your not on with your guildies or plan to TR with someone you know then our of luck. Now I'm really not speaking for myself on this as I have friends I typically TR with but for the abundance of new players out their they're going to want groups to fill quicker than they are.

  9. #9
    Community Member Grosbeak07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Thelanis
    Posts
    7,590

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GeneralDiomedes View Post
    They really really should. And yes, it is different this time.
    As opposed to last time?

    There are a number of reasons why this won't happen. Turbine likely has contractual agreements with whoever hosts their server farm and b) the negative PR alone doesn't make it worth it.
    Magical Rings are well... magical. - Gandalf

  10. #10
    Community Member Ivan_Milic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Thelanis
    Posts
    4,901

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Syllph View Post
    With ESO live, populations will likely drop even lower. DDO had a good run, but too many bugs, not enough listening to players, and basically something new and shiny (new game) has nailed the last nail in this coffin. RIP ddo.
    Lol, you are one of those people when every time new mmo comes out you yell rip ddo.

  11. #11
    The Hatchery stoerm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,565

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Syllph View Post
    With ESO live, populations will likely drop even lower. DDO had a good run, but too many bugs, not enough listening to players, and basically something new and shiny (new game) has nailed the last nail in this coffin. RIP ddo.
    There will probably be a dip as people try it out. I played the beta and based on what I saw (admittedly only lower levels) I wll not be paying for it. Very pretty but shallow and boring. My guess is people will try it and many will be back in DDO sooner or later. The same has happened before, I have seen some people who quit publicly here on the forums now quietly back on Cannith.

    That last nail has been proclaimed many times before, but I foresee a long slow decline for DDO, not a sudden death. It would be nice to have a resurgence like with Eberron Unlimited but I won't hold my breath. Nothing lasts forever.
    Last edited by stoerm; 04-05-2014 at 11:49 AM.
    Praise the Dark Six and pass the heals to pure melees.
    Full feat tree; Cannith; change; merger; evil; win; minmaxing; FotM; deja vu; Kobolds.
    Dungeons and Dragons Online ~ Nude Song and Gnarled Onions

  12. #12
    Community Member bjones0064's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    97

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Syllph View Post
    With ESO live, populations will likely drop even lower. DDO had a good run, but too many bugs, not enough listening to players, and basically something new and shiny (new game) has nailed the last nail in this coffin. RIP ddo.
    DDO will remain the MMO to beat

  13. #13
    Community Member Ivan_Milic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Thelanis
    Posts
    4,901

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stoerm View Post
    That last nail has been proclaimed many times before, but I foresee a long slow decline for DDO, not a sudden death. It would be nice to have a resurgence like with Eberron Unlimited but I won't hold my breath. Nothing lasts forever.
    Gw2, tera, rift, diablo 3, swtor and more to come that have killed ddo.

  14. #14
    The Hatchery Syllph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,992

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan_Milic View Post
    Lol, you are one of those people when every time new mmo comes out you yell rip ddo.
    You think? If you get bored and check my past several years of quotes you'll actually find the opposite. I've almost always defended DDO against other games. (I've complained about the game itself quite a bit, but I don't think I've ever said it will die because of another game)

    No I think this time it is different. It's not ESO that will exclusively kill DDO, it's one of several factors that will do it. I do agree with the other poster that said it was pretty, but shallow. ESO definitely isn't anything ground breaking (apart from their PVP server which is amazing - and I HAVE said I hate PVP on this forum more than I care to admit. So to go 180 around to loving something is pretty cool for me at least)

    Personally, I just see DDO alive because of the community. If the community starts to decline, like I've been seeing, I can't see the game last very long.

  15. #15
    Community Member fmalfeas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    891

    Default

    You know, this refrain gets really, really old. You know where else this doom has been spewed? Everquest. Since Luclin, at least. So...yeah, I'm not seeing it. Until Turbine makes an announcement, or we get another 'year of no content', I'm just going to work off the assumption that DDO will be here for the foreseeable future.

  16. #16
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    54

    Default

    [QUOTE=Flavilandile;5303934]Are you willing you rename all your characters ?


    absolutely (and ddo can just put -1, -2, -3 at the end of players names too, as I have been seeing recently on my server, cannith)
    viktoriya/booksniffer cannith

  17. #17
    Community Member Lonnbeimnech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,310

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wyvernmonarch7 View Post
    Are you willing you rename all your characters ?


    absolutely (and ddo can just put -1, -2, -3 at the end of players names too, as I have been seeing recently on my server, cannith)
    And for those people that have a few characters on the servers that get merged. Should they be ok with buying extra character slots?

  18. #18
    The Hatchery stoerm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,565

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lonnbeimnech View Post
    And for those people that have a few characters on the servers that get merged. Should they be ok with buying extra character slots?
    I think with the first DDO server merge the number of slots was expanded to accomodate all existing alts.
    Praise the Dark Six and pass the heals to pure melees.
    Full feat tree; Cannith; change; merger; evil; win; minmaxing; FotM; deja vu; Kobolds.
    Dungeons and Dragons Online ~ Nude Song and Gnarled Onions

  19. #19
    Community Member MalkavianX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Not Eberron
    Posts
    567

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lonnbeimnech View Post
    And for those people that have a few characters on the servers that get merged. Should they be ok with buying extra character slots?
    ^This.

    Say they merge Argo with Cannith (for example) and I have 14/14 characters on Argo and 10/14 on Cannith. After the merge, will I have 24/28 or will I have 24/14 and have to buy 10 more slots to be able to play them all? If they made people pay the ridiculous tp price for each new slot in order to play their already made and played characters, THAT would make a carp ton of people quit.

    And yes, I really do have that many characters, and then some (roughly 8-10+) on each of the other servers. Alt-oholism ftw!

    Quote Originally Posted by grodon9999 View Post
    This game has been such an absurd grind that I’d rather stick my junk in a beehive than make another toon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    An expansion . .. with a set of packs for each plane to come out every month or two . . . it'll be like crack to Whitney Houston.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload