Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    2,069

    Default Bread and circuses vs useful communication

    Hi,

    Perhaps my sense of humour is not what it used to be, but I'm getting a little tired of naming competitions, personal biographies of staff, player council PR exercises, and bacon jokes.

    What I'd really like to see instead is some form of regular and useful communication from Turbine with its players about important issues in the game.

    Despite all of the promises post MOTU about better communication, it just doesn't seem to be coming true. Is that because it wasn't a sincere promise, priorities have changed since then, or staffing for DDO has contracted to the point where it's just not possible?

    If you think this is a worthwhile idea, please post the issues you'd like to be discussed.

    Thanks.
    Astrican on Khyber

  2. #2
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3,018

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blerkington View Post
    Hi,

    Perhaps my sense of humour is not what it used to be, but I'm getting a little tired of naming competitions, personal biographies of staff, player council PR exercises, and bacon jokes.

    What I'd really like to see instead is some form of regular and useful communication from Turbine with its players about important issues in the game.

    Despite all of the promises post MOTU about better communication, it just doesn't seem to be coming true. Is that because it wasn't a sincere promise, priorities have changed since then, or staffing for DDO has contracted to the point where it's just not possible?

    If you think this is a worthwhile idea, please post the issues you'd like to be discussed.

    Thanks.
    Well there's only so much meaningful news they have to give us any given day....and just like actual news shows, they need to fill the difference with "fluff" pieces

    I'm just confused what you think they're still NOT telling us - it seems like they've been pretty forthcoming and present through the whole Thunderholme release cycle.

  3. #3
    Pirate Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council
    RedOrm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,139

    Default

    Somewhat serious, somewhat tongue-in-cheek: well, they COULD explain to us why epic DQ2 still does not give cov's...

    And decidedly not tongue-in-cheek, why the lesser and greater tomes of epic learning do not give a boost to cov's similar to xp pots, ship buff, and Voice.

    Greetz,
    Red Orm

  4. #4
    Community Member Aelonwy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,301

    Default

    What about token fragments of the twelve not dropping in EGH? it is EPIC eberron content afterall. On the plus side we have been getting good communication in the character balance thread, albeit not frequent communication but I can understand that as it was alot of feedback to comb through and tally up.
    "Its not D&D anymore, more D$D." -- Brannigan
    Blood Scented Axe Body Spray (Thelanis)
    Aelonwy - Wydavir - Metaluscious - Aertimys - Aelyrra - Kaelaria - Lunaura - Aelurawynn - Saurscha - Crystalorn - Aurvaeyn - Vaelyns - Wyllowynd

  5. #5
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    1,672

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blerkington View Post
    Hi,

    Perhaps my sense of humour is not what it used to be, but I'm getting a little tired of naming competitions, personal biographies of staff, player council PR exercises, and bacon jokes.

    What I'd really like to see instead is some form of regular and useful communication from Turbine with its players about important issues in the game.

    Despite all of the promises post MOTU about better communication, it just doesn't seem to be coming true. Is that because it wasn't a sincere promise, priorities have changed since then, or staffing for DDO has contracted to the point where it's just not possible?

    If you think this is a worthwhile idea, please post the issues you'd like to be discussed.

    Thanks.
    I find the communication to be excellent at the moment so I am definitely not seeing it the way you appear to ee. The three most recent major communication threads:
    - Divine Sphere Debate: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...estiny-Changes
    - Player Balance Debate: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...racter-Balance
    - Monster stat/AI debate: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...-Monster-Stats!
    Then add the many replies given by various Devs to other threads (and not just Cordovan but also people that work in the machine room rather than the front).

    Sure, they could communicate even more but claiming there has not been a significant improvement is contrary to my experience and if they keep up the current level of communication I will be a happy costumer on that count.

  6. #6
    2014 DDO Players Council
    Alt-pletionist
    IronClan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,132

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mikarddo View Post
    I find the communication to be excellent at the moment so I am definitely not seeing it the way you appear to ee. The three most recent major communication threads:
    - Divine Sphere Debate: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...estiny-Changes
    - Player Balance Debate: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...racter-Balance
    - Monster stat/AI debate: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...-Monster-Stats!
    Then add the many replies given by various Devs to other threads (and not just Cordovan but also people that work in the machine room rather than the front).

    Sure, they could communicate even more but claiming there has not been a significant improvement is contrary to my experience and if they keep up the current level of communication I will be a happy costumer on that count.
    Agreed, though I think communication was Rowan's thing and it has slacked off a bit since he went back to LOTRO.

    Still it's elevated. And the Divine Epic Sphere dialog alone is light years better than anything I've experienced in the past.
    *Disclaimer: All statements are generalized without boging down in minutia. Assuming that there are ALWAYS exceptions that test the rule, variations, and un-stated details may be omitted for brevity. These can be assumed to be understood; without bloating my posts with preemptive coverass. [*] Seal[*] Scroll[*] Shard[*] Base Item - eSoS >200 runs

  7. #7
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    2,069

    Default

    Hi,

    Thanks for your replies, it was good to hear other people's perspectives on this.
    Astrican on Khyber

  8. #8
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3,018

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blerkington View Post
    Hi,

    Thanks for your replies, it was good to hear other people's perspectives on this.
    Something else to consider too....you have to appreciate the difference between what you WANT the devs to tell us, and what you EXPECT the devs to tell us. There's a lot of issues that a lot of people want an answer to, naturally, but that doesn't mean that answers actually EXIST yet. Devs, understandably, have to be very careful how they couch their responses. They have to discuss and debate and come to an agreement on an issue; its not like any given dev can just hop in and unilaterally speak for all of Turbine and immediately answer a concern when its posted.

    I get the feeling that as soon as an answer is decided on, its communicated to us - but there's only so much time they can devote to coming up with answers, when it takes so much time to actually implement the changes they've already promised

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload