Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DnD Novels?

2015 DDO Players Council
    Axel's DDO Channel

Default DnD Novels?

I read mostly sci-fi, not very much fantasy. But I have been playing a lot of DDO lately and thought I'd try out some DnD/fantasy related novels. Any suggestions? I've heard good things about R.A. Salvatore and the Drizzt books but I've never been interested in elves or elvish lore, they are my least favorite race in DnD and DDO.

What are the highest rated/highest reviewed fantasy series' out there? I was thinking my best bet would be to try out whatever has the best reviews rather than something obscure.

Click the banner above to get to my DDO youtube channel
    Twitch page: www.twitch.tv/axel311
    Streaming DDO on Twitch, usually on Fridays @ 9PM Eastern

Quote Originally Posted by axel15810 View Post
    I read mostly sci-fi, not very much fantasy. But I have been playing a lot of DDO lately and thought I'd try out some DnD/fantasy related novels. Any suggestions? I've heard good things about R.A. Salvatore and the Drizzt books but I've never been interested in elves or elvish lore, they are my least favorite race in DnD and DDO.

What are the highest rated/highest reviewed fantasy series' out there? I was thinking my best bet would be to try out whatever has the best reviews rather than something obscure.
    DragonLance novels and anything by Margaret Weiss and Tracy Hickman.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeryyn View Post
    I like the "Death gate cycle" Its not TSR but a great 7 book series.
    Kahzadoom~Xzr~Irondoom~Doomlord~XvKing DoomHammer~
    Xoriat Born~Doompriest~Doom~DoomTusk~Legion of Doom~Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering.

Forgotten Realms-wise, I like the Erevis Cale Trilogy by Paul S. Kemp. However, it could be a bit rough for one without a big background in lore.

cleric quintet by salvatore.

not a drizzzt series at all. hate the doodad though.

Salvatore's Drow Trilogy are probably the most widely read. They get a lot of flack, mainly because they are so popular but they provide a great gateway into fantasy, the Realms, and the dark elves - which are hella cool and unlike the poncy surface dwelling cousins. Really for me this ticks all the boxes although personally I think R.A. Salvatore should have killed off Drizzt instead of going 20+ books deep.

If you feel up to the challenge, simply put Steven Erikson's Malazan Book Of The Fallen series is unparalleled in fantasy literature. It's the richest tapestry of fantasy set across realms and worlds spanning eternities of magic and complete with the most diverse group of characters I have ever met. You won't do better than this for my money.

Barbachop/Fizzburn/Politikills & Boaby - Omnipresence,Ghallanda

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Arianka View Post
    cleric quintet by salvatore.
    I second this, probably my favourite DnD series

Edit: On the other hand, if the series doesn't have to be DnD, i would recommend Julian May's Saga of the Exiles. Brilliant books, without a doubt my favourite book series (though i am actually referring to the Saga of the Exiles + Intervention + the Galactic Milieu Trilogy) in any genre.
    Last edited by sifubob; 04-02-2014 at 01:53 AM.

If you are playing DDO and want to read some novels about DnD, try the two books of Marsheila Rockwell, a DDO player, The Shard Axe and the Skein of Shadows, both about the DDO Eberron Unlimited game.

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Product.a...novel/49791000
    A dirge for the dead girl that she died so young...http://thewitchinthewoods.enjin.com/home..a DDo Fansite.

Community Member

Default DnD Novels?

elminster novels are good and the drzzt novels after he comes out of the underdark and befriends the drorfs don't have much elven lore

Community Member

Default dragon lance books

[

dragon lance outomn summer and winter books are about a caster and fighter brother raistlin and caromon and there trials against a dark quessn god there awesome plus much much more

Some random rock hurdling through the universe to who knows where...

Quote Originally Posted by Aeryyn View Post
    This^

Start with Dragons of Autumn Twilight, the first novel in the Chronicles Trilogy. If you enjoy that series, the Legends Trilogy is an excellent follow up. These are among the most popular DnD novels and are excellent reads. Weis and Hickman are great authors.

Quote Originally Posted by gongafied View Post
    [

dragon lance outomn summer and winter books are about a caster and fighter brother raistlin and caromon and there trials against a dark quessn god there awesome plus much much more
    I believe you are describing the Legends Trilogy. It is specifically about Raistlin and Caramon. Dragons of Autumn Twilight, Winter Night, and Spring Dawning make up the Chronicles Trilogy which introducs the two brothers, but they are part of a larger group, not the central characters in that series.
    White Feather Sniper: dps focused, 62DC paralyzing arrows human ranged ranger/The Divine Cuisinart: human tempest in divine crusader/Hassan's Assassin: 81DC halfling assassin/The Count of Monte Cristo: human swashbuckler/Dubbell O'Seven: WF artificer
    Abandoned builds: Totally Bass Ackwards/Santa's Little Slayer

Founder & Hero
    2016 DDO Players Council

Its not dnd but if you want a really good fantasy read try the 1st three books of the Black Company by Glen Cook about the best ever in my mind. I have set my Hackmaster game in that world.

The ANTI-Realms FANBOI NUKE THE REALMS ITS THE ONLY REAL WAY TO BE SURE

The first three Dragonlance novels I read every year. I also second the Cleric Quintet.

Main: 18 Artificer, Thelanis

All good stuff in this thread i own most of it.

I'm going to recommend this fantasy series to you.

Sword of Truth by Terry Goodkind 11 books incredible story. Not for the young or faint of heart though....
    Last edited by Miow; 04-02-2014 at 11:55 AM.

2015 DDO Players Council
    Axel's DDO Channel

Thanks a lot for the suggestions everyone.

I've looked into the suggestions posted, the Divine classes have always been my favorite in DnD and my main in DDO is a cleric so I think I may try out the Cleric Quintet first. Definitely keeping the others in mind though.

Click the banner above to get to my DDO youtube channel
    Twitch page: www.twitch.tv/axel311
    Streaming DDO on Twitch, usually on Fridays @ 9PM Eastern

Community Member TheLegendOfAra's Avatar

I realize I am a bit late here, but I would highly recommend "War of the Spider Queen".
    It's possible one of my favorite series, and arguably the main character is just perfection.
    Araphina Skycrow - 15Paladin/3Ranger/2Fighter (Life 8/25) 5xRanger, 3xPaladin
    Araphell - Arasin - Arathaes - Arawyn - Aravein
    Guild: Fors Fortis;Guild of Won, & VENOM @ Argo
    "And we learn, as we age; We've learned nothing! And my body still aches."

I really enjoyed the ravenloft novels, particularly Knight of the Black Rose, and the Dark Queen Trilogy from Dragonlance.

Was a while since I read any realms specific ones though... I remember one with an iron golem dressed up like a viking and some noob mage fireballing it...
    - Proud co-founder of the Dragonspire Legion -
    Souldout (Completionist Life 2), Diamese(TR), Darkfey, Darkwai(TR), Darkriff, Shayris, Shayrn, Tekron, & more semi-retired mules

Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council

IF you can find them, the old Ravenloft books were pretty good. And the ones where Midnight, Kelemvor, and Cyric become godes in the first place, it was a Time of Troubles trilogy named after cities in the Realms and dang if I can remember the particular book names, but I liked the story. The Spellfire trilogies were fun too.

I liked Dragonlance as a young teen, but when I reread them as an adult, they were awful. Good young adult reads though.
    Turtel, Turtley Wrath, Tortoisse, Waterssong, Victerr Creed, Utahraptor, Velocaraptor, Minddancer, Loggerhead, Matamata, Sulcata, Ticerratops, Sierrann, Hankx, Shartelhane

Member of Highlords of Malkier! Help channel, everyone welcome in this channel!

Community Member

If you are a young adult, then many of the already listed books are great.

If you are a mature reader then I suggest the Song of Fire and Ice series (Game of Thrones), hands down the best fantasy series ever.

Wheel of time series is good. Less wordy than Sword of truth. Not as dnd lore specific.

Dnd lore specific, spellfire series (its like 2 books?) and the Avatar Series ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._Avatar_Series ) is a good one. And as you can see from the link, plenty of more to choose from. I liked the writing in the avatar series more than spellfire, but spellfire did have some interesting play with characters I felt were long established.

Outside of those, Xanth and the immortality series by Piers Anthony are great reads (Xanth is a little on the childish side often).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast