Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Community Member Henky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    267

    Default Exalted Angel SLA DC

    They have the standard DC calculation method of Epic Destinies, resulting in a lower DC than that of a pure DC caster:


    vs

    BUT they can be enhanced by heighten which does NOTHING:




    Hey devs, can you put a multiselector type on the SLA? So people can choice the char level DC or the standard caster level DC? The last one affected by Focus Feats and Items and Past lifes?
    Thelanis - Officer of Reinos Olvidados: Henkyh, Neghi, Konokka, Kufei, Bartolomew, Rovinh, Artinata

  2. #2
    2014 DDO Players Council
    SirValentine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Korea (temporarily)
    Posts
    5,430

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Henky View Post
    So people can choice the char level DC or the standard caster level DC? The last one affected by Focus Feats and Items and Past lifes?
    Wait, what? An Evocation SLA should already be affected by Evocation Focus feats, items, etc.! If not, that's clearly a bug.

    And, in this case, makes what I was looking forward to using actually not nearly so useful at all.

  3. #3
    Community Member Henky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    267

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SirValentine View Post
    Wait, what? An Evocation SLA should already be affected by Evocation Focus feats, items, etc.! If not, that's clearly a bug.

    And, in this case, makes what I was looking forward to using actually not nearly so useful at all.
    Yep.

    Both screens of Soundburst are from lamannia with the current built. The red one is the SLA on exalted angel, the blue one is the spell on my fvs evoker with 60 wisdom, +3 DC feats, +5 DC twists, +5 equipment and +2 enchantment.

    As you can see on the screens, both SLA DC are: 10 + char level + wisdom/cha mod (standard Epic Destiny DC). Normal Spell DCs are 10 + spell level + stat mod + focus feats/items.

    But now we have a "problem", having 2 useful "epic moments" (SunBolt SLA and Divine Wrath) we can't have +6 wisdom AND both "epic moments".
    Thelanis - Officer of Reinos Olvidados: Henkyh, Neghi, Konokka, Kufei, Bartolomew, Rovinh, Artinata

  4. #4

    Default

    Are there similar issues with other ED SLAs?

  5. #5
    Community Member FlaviusMaximus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,636

    Default

    The SLAs have the advantage of using total character level when calculating DCs, but can end up falling behind in the end due to the fact that evocation enhancing feats and gear do not have any effect.

    The Sounburst SLA, for example, isn't going to have a high enough DC to be usable in high difficulty, high level content. I would much prefer that this ability ends up having some use.

    Obviously adding in evocation bonuses to the way things are calculated for the SLAs now will make the DCs too high. Perhaps a happy medium could be reached. Adding in 1/2 of the evocation bonus might make the DCs reasonable.

  6. #6
    2014 DDO Players Council
    SirValentine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Korea (temporarily)
    Posts
    5,430

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FlaviusMaximus View Post
    Obviously adding in evocation bonuses to the way things are calculated for the SLAs now will make the DCs too high.
    Not really. It's Fort save. Mob Fort saves are bloated way higher than their Will or Reflex.

    The main reason I was happy about Soundburst was BECAUSE it was Evocation, so all the gear & feats I've put into boosting Evocation might get it high enough to be useful. But if my DC with this, to just CC, is going to be less effective than my insta-kill DCs (also Fort saves), I'll just skip it and toss a Slay Living.

    Another good idea mangled by poor implementation.

    Also to whoever tested this: so it doesn't benefit from Evocation-specific gear. What about Sorc Past Life feats, or enhancements? What about all-school stuff, like the +2 on Tablecloth, or the +1 from the Wizard purchased past life feat?

    I'd appreciate from the devs some real transparency on what is supposed to boost this. I'd also appreciate knowing why you wouldn't let an Evocation SLA benefit from Evocation boosts.
    Last edited by SirValentine; 03-31-2014 at 02:11 PM.

  7. #7
    Community Member Cardtrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Cannith
    Posts
    2,025

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SirValentine View Post
    Also to whoever tested this: so it doesn't benefit from Evocation-specific gear. What about Sorc Past Life feats, or enhancements? What about all-school stuff, like the +2 on Tablecloth, or the +1 from the Wizard purchased past life feat?

    I'd appreciate from the devs some real transparency on what is supposed to boost this. I'd also appreciate knowing why you wouldn't let an Evocation SLA benefit from Evocation boosts.
    Abilities/spells with custom DCs typically don't benefit from any of these things (e.g., Knock), so I doubt it, but I'm also interested to know.

    This is definitely disappointing -- an ability that I thought, if anything, might be too powerful (just because it was easily twistable by high-wis monkchers, high-cha sorcerers, etc.), instead appears to be nearly useless in challenging content.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizard_Zero View Post
    One day I just wrote "Why Do I Die So Much?" in party chat, and that is how I learned about fortification.

  8. #8
    The Hatchery Wipey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    EU
    Posts
    1,907

    Default

    I don't see it that way.
    65+ DC easily spammable ( another form of ) cc for sorcs/druids/charisma divines is no joke.
    It's lower DC than spell ironically for wisdom DC divine casters.
    Shahang Nezhat Bellezza Wipekin Farida of Ghallanda

  9. #9
    Community Member FlaviusMaximus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,636

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SirValentine View Post
    Not really. It's Fort save. Mob Fort saves are bloated way higher than their Will or Reflex.

    The main reason I was happy about Soundburst was BECAUSE it was Evocation, so all the gear & feats I've put into boosting Evocation might get it high enough to be useful. But if my DC with this, to just CC, is going to be less effective than my insta-kill DCs (also Fort saves), I'll just skip it and toss a Slay Living.

    Another good idea mangled by poor implementation.

    Also to whoever tested this: so it doesn't benefit from Evocation-specific gear. What about Sorc Past Life feats, or enhancements? What about all-school stuff, like the +2 on Tablecloth, or the +1 from the Wizard purchased past life feat?

    I'd appreciate from the devs some real transparency on what is supposed to boost this. I'd also appreciate knowing why you wouldn't let an Evocation SLA benefit from Evocation boosts.
    Took things out of context a bit. I went on to say that 1/2 the total evo bonuses might be about right (meaning past lives and all sources of bonuses/2). I'm as greedy as anyone, but I do think a potential 80+dc 6sp perma-stun is probably a bit too much to ask for with a straight face, fort save or not.

    I've only tested the DCs with spell focus feats and destiny evocation pluses. Lamannia is certainly open for further testing if more information is desired.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload