Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by CThruTheEgo View Post
    How do you charge blitz on a pure ranged arti? If you're talking about a melee arti, I'm not sure pure is optimal.
    Didn't you take the cleaves for overwhelming critical anyway? That's all that you need to charge blitz. Equip a bastard sword, cleave the air for a minute and get blitzing.

This would be a major build rework but if you are doing eTRs yoiu might as well try it for a life and see if it works. On paper, it looks like it should. 10 seconds fusillade downtime, +250% crossbow damage, +1.5[w], +50% damage against helpless mobs that works on everything, even on your spells...
    Kmnh * Kmn * Kmm * Knn * Knm

Leader of Templar

Community Member

How do you charge blitz on a pure ranged arti? If you're talking about a melee arti, I'm not sure pure is optimal.
    It takes forever, but trip and sunder can charge up blitz.

Some random rock hurdling through the universe to who knows where...

Quote Originally Posted by tkneip1874 View Post
    I'm confused. Why does Lucid dreams always do less damage. I looked both on the wiki and in game and both state the same damage, same max charge and same imbue. Yes I would rather use Archaic Device but mainly because of -2 will save and -5% mana.
    When the changes to spell power went live, it stated in the release notes that rune arms would be affected by a range of spell power, 50-80% iirc. As far as I know a dev has never confirmed how this percentage is calculated for the different rune arms. Players have speculated that min level might have something to do with it since a common perception is that Lucid Dreams does less damage than Archaic Device even though, as you noted, their descriptions are the same. It is also generally recognized that the acid rune arms do more damage than the force ones leading some to believe (myself included) that the force rune arms use a lower percentage of spell power due to fewer mobs having resistance to force damage and since they use a will save (generally a weaker save for mobs). As far as I know, no one has ever done any testing to see how much spell power each rune arm uses.
    Totally Bass Ackwards ~ int based/heavy armored pure tempest<>The Count of Monte Cristo ~ dps/CC/survivability focused pure swashbuckler<>Santa's Little Slayer ~ dragonmarked elf centered kensai<>Hassan's Assassin ~ 76 DC/dps/survivability focused human assassin<>Dubbell O'Seven ~ casting/ranged WF artificer

Quote Originally Posted by Kmnh View Post
    Didn't you take the cleaves for overwhelming critical anyway? That's all that you need to charge blitz. Equip a bastard sword, cleave the air for a minute and get blitzing.
    I don't take overwhelming crit on my arti. Artis do get a lot of feats but they are all used on basic ranged and casting feats. I'm sure you could fit it in, but I personally don't see the value in spending three feats for only 1 more crit multiplier 10% of the time. That's a heavy cost.
    Totally Bass Ackwards ~ int based/heavy armored pure tempest<>The Count of Monte Cristo ~ dps/CC/survivability focused pure swashbuckler<>Santa's Little Slayer ~ dragonmarked elf centered kensai<>Hassan's Assassin ~ 76 DC/dps/survivability focused human assassin<>Dubbell O'Seven ~ casting/ranged WF artificer

I don't take overwhelming crit on my arti. Artis do get a lot of feats but they are all used on basic ranged and casting feats. I'm sure you could fit it in, but I personally don't see the value in spending three feats for only 1 more crit multiplier 10% of the time. That's a heavy cost.
    Absolutely agree on this point. Melee arti is a different story, but we have been talking about ranged/caster Arti the whole time.
    Panzermeyer - Huge Terry Brooks Shannara Fan

Main
    Jelara Shannara - PDK
    Steel Shrine (TR XX - Barb x3, Drd x3, FvS x3, Pal x2, Rgr x1, Rog x2, Sorc x3, Wiz x3 - EtR X - Arc x3, Div x2, Mart x3, Prim x3 - ItR II - PDK x2)
    Alts
    DamsonRhee Shannara - PDK Swashbuckler
    Challenge Farmer
    Eritria Shannara - Human Swashbuckler
    (TR VII - Ftr x3, Sorc x1, Wiz x3 EtR - Prim x1)
    Kirisin Shannara - Sun Elf Shadovar Infiltrator (TR XIV - Barb x1, Bard x1, Clc x3, Fvs x3, Sorc x3, Wiz x3 - EtR V - Mart x2, Div x3 - ItR - MLE x1)

Default Tovens hammer

I use tovens hammer onn my arite 98% of the time. I like the transform kinetic energy, the lightning strike, and the shot is decent as well. I switch to corruption of nature and anartic device when needed.
    Azrreal / 28 completionist and epic completionist / Artificer 20
    Azrealla / 28 12 fighter / 4 monk / 4 pali
    Hoehoe / 28 ranger
    Twinkiee / 28 18 sorc / 2 pali
    Dingdong / 28 pali
    Razeall / 28 18 monk / 2 fighter

Quote Originally Posted by Irongutz2000 View Post
    I use tovens hammer onn my arite 98% of the time. I like the transform kinetic energy, the lightning strike, and the shot is decent as well. I switch to corruption of nature and anartic device when needed.
    Toven's is great for the levels in which it was intended, but it just doesn't cut it on EE imo. The rune arms do not use the full evocation DC. It's not entirely clear what isn't applied, but they end up with an even lower DC than the already low DCs that artis get. This is one of Toven's greatest weaknesses for EE. The AoE damage it puts out is nothing compared to what you can do with blade barrier or energy burst and it's far behind the force or acid rune arms vs single targets.

The lightning strike is definitely nice but the transform kinetic energy effect is obsolete in EE since you don't want to be taking hits at all.

Default Darn, late to the party!

I really like this suggestion and I can't believe I missed the Sage's Spectacles. This option would provide the strongest energy burst. I've been trying to put together a full gear set with these in mind but I'm having a hard time making it work. Goggles seem to be more difficult to replace.
    Yeah - it could be good. I'm really only running the 2 new raids atm, so right now force is my best option as in the fire dragon raid...nearly everything is immune to fire

But otherwise, I think the goggles make a great ... swap item! Just swap them in for EB, then swap back to your deadly/resist or whatever goggles.

hee, hee, hee

Or don't, and build your Thunderholme xbow around fire. Spell power, as it stands, buffs the new augments (ruby eye of whatever) and so if you went the fire-fire-fire w/the vulnerability and slotted in ruby eye of flame, you'd be nicely synergized. As I said, I have done this on my twf and it works nicely - now I just have to get the goggles on her and watch the damage go up.

I'll be using the EE Gloves of the Master Illusionist for 11 int and get wizardry X from the planar erudition set. I had planned on using Intricate Field Optics, so losing those means one less slot and having to slot spot elsewhere, so it's not easy.
    You don't really need spot slotted - I'm sure that by now you know where all the traps are - and, if you feel like you do, you could always slot a +15 spot diamond somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Panzermeyer View Post
    Oh it might, since there is not much resistant to force.

The problem is that pretty much other than caster sticks there really isn't anything out there, other than those bracers from Wheloon that boost Force crit chance. And with body inventory space at a premium I am not sure slotting one item with only one benefit in any slot (Since SP is useless on an Arti) would be worth it.
    I have those bracers on - they're quite nice on a force specked artie. Since AD fires 5 shots on average one will crit every shot. If I move away from this set up, or go to xbow, I'd slot the 9% doublestrike ones. Yes, the new bracers are ridiculous for defense, but I tend on the side of a strong offense.

Quote Originally Posted by tkneip1874 View Post
    I'm confused. Why does Lucid dreams always do less damage. I looked both on the wiki and in game and both state the same damage, same max charge and same imbue. Yes I would rather use Archaic Device but mainly because of -2 will save and -5% mana.
    Just get both and fire them both. Lucid Dreams always does less damage than Archaic Device on my force-specced artie. I have around 400 spell power in force, maximize and empower turned on, and 29% crit chance with force spells - I do roughly 100-200 per shot of LD and roughly 200-840 per shot of AD, meaning that LD hits for about 500-1000 and AD 1200-2200 per shot.
    Last edited by Singular; 04-10-2014 at 01:41 AM.

If we can't find synergy between xbow, rune arm and spells, it might be worth trying to fully chase xbow damage. Someone sent me a tell saying that they were getting 3-5k crits on adrenaline Needle this way - if that works out to better than our generalist builds, it might be worth pursuing.

Quote Originally Posted by Irongutz2000 View Post
    Lightning Strike adds 9 damage/shot over time. On my artie, I get miserable damage with Toven's shot - it maxes out around 800 (and I get lots of evades/saves). I get 1200-2200 per firing of AD, meaning that I'm losing at least 400-1400 damage per firing using Toven's. Since we can fire the rune arm every 6 seconds, that's a loss of 80-235 dps.

You get almost 2 shots/second w/a repeater, making Lightning Strike add 18/sec on average.

So, for me, switching to Tovens from Archaic Device would be a net loss of, at least, 62-223 damage per second (and that's assuming a perfect shot from Toven's every time against an average shot from AD). Clearly Toven's is a waste of time on my build.

But I'm not electrical specced - if you are, what kind of damage are you seeing from Toven's in EE content?

I did some numbers calculations a while back comparing LD to Fury, using Needle versus the top alchemical repeater (fire-earth-fire). Needle came out waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay ahead and did so most in Fury. My comparison had LD coming in at around 80% of Fury.

However, if you can keep your blitz up, you're going to produce a lot more damage over time than in Fury. If you are in a party, don't bother with LD, just use Fury. But if you're, say, clearing the environment in Thunderholme, or soloing a quest with a ton of mobs, try out LD. Once you get your blitz up, you'll have a great time - especially when you line them all up with Improved Precise Shot (I have my IPS and PS on a toggle, so I can flick between them).

So I logged on today and did the Double Dragon raid. My Boulder Toss was hitting for 1000-2200, but usually around 2k. Not soooooooo awful - a loss of about 1-6k damage. Ruin was doing 6-9k reliably.

I still pulled aggro off all of the tanks - had one of them send me a tell saying "if you bring the dragon back to me, and stop attacking, I'll get it's aggro back" hahaha I always think "why? I'm just going to take it's aggro again."

Most of that damage was from Needle - so it might be worth min/maxing around xbow damage. But since Livmo posted his damage for Toven's...I'm curious to respec around lightning and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Singular View Post
    So I logged on today and did the Double Dragon raid. My Boulder Toss was hitting for 1000-2200, but usually around 2k. Not soooooooo awful - a loss of about 1-6k damage. Ruin was doing 6-9k reliably.

I still pulled aggro off all of the tanks - had one of them send me a tell saying "if you bring the dragon back to me, and stop attacking, I'll get it's aggro back" hahaha I always think "why? I'm just going to take it's aggro again."

Most of that damage was from Needle - so it might be worth min/maxing around xbow damage. But since Livmo posted his damage for Toven's...I'm curious to respec around lightning and see what happens.

If you do respec around Electrical damage and can replicate those numbers I would love to see a full build posted including enhancements, ED/twists,gear,etc as well as spell/sla/rune-arm rotation. I would definitely like to better understand self-augmented Purple Damage (assuming it isn't achieved by pairing with an Air Savant or some other character/class). I did try awhile back with an iconic to try to max Shocking Vulnerability with the full Arcanotechnician enhancements/SLAs/Spells/Electrical-Rune-Arm but was way under-whelmed with what I could get on Sobrien. Did great with an Air Savant and with a WarPriest using Smite Weakness with a Vulnerable weapons but all other sources were meh in that testing but maybe I was missing something.

EDIT: For what it is worth my testing was only with a quick 15 iconic BF with only 14 levels of Artificer with a store bought ML13 'Greater Lightning Rune arm' but with only a 5% chance of getting vulnerable stacks I couldn't get the Vulnerable Stacks very high at all on a fully spec'ed Arcanotechnician Artificer (even when only spamming all electrical spells and rune-arm only). For reference I also tried a BF 1P/14Sorc(air), 1P/2Art/12Sorc(air) as well as various monkchers, warpriests,etc. Note however that this was before U21 came out and before we could craft a Wyrm-Wrought repeater with 1st-Degree-Burns... Hopefully something kicks in at the higher levels or the difference is Toven's or 1st-Degree-Burns (or all of them). Before U21 the only really viable vulnerable stacking that I could achieve from a single character in testing with iconics or my regular characters was by a Warpriest with the right weapons or an Air Savant. The WarPriest can get to 20 vulnerable stacks on a single target consistently in about 18 seconds by smiting with a Vulnerable weapon (I was using Frostbite blades then and get the same speed now with 1st degree burns). An Air-Savant seemed not too far behind as the vulnerable proced quite a bit but everything else was meh (including a WarPriest without a Vulnerable weapon as it takes too long to get the stacks up high without a Vulnerable weapon). More details here:

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post5266318
    Last edited by Nodoze; 04-14-2014 at 08:22 AM. Reason: more details on Electrical testing setup...

Quote Originally Posted by Singular View Post
    You don't really need spot slotted - I'm sure that by now you know where all the traps are - and, if you feel like you do, you could always slot a +15 spot diamond somewhere.
    I know some trappers don't mind going without spot, but I'm just not one of them. I don't know where every trap is, especially in newer content. I have been trying to slot it, but that's the problem I've been having - not enough slots.

Regarding electric spec (for anyone who isn't following all the recent arti threads), here are my thoughts quoted from another thread.

Toven's states that the blast does 8-30 + 1-10 per arti level. Assuming a pure artificer, that's going to be 19+110 average base damage per bolt or 129 average. Assuming 400 electric spell power, that's going to be an average of 556 average per bolt. Add 15% (about 83) for lightning motes and it'll be 639 average. Since nearly everything will save for half damage on EE, Toven's will hit for an average of 320 per bolt and 0 against mobs with evasion. Since it gives four shots that's 1280 average damage on every mob hit.

It might work just fine in EN and EH (although when I used Toven's I remember still seeing mostly saves in EH), but a single energy burst is going to one shot most trash in EN and EH anyway, doing at least 2k per mob. And consider blade barrier which is a persistant AoE. If you get 500 non crit saved damage on blade barrier you only need it to hit a mob three times and its already done more damage than Toven's. But since it is a persistant AoE you can kite them through it as long as it lasts, doing far more damage than you could with Toven's. All of this applies to the SLAs as well.

Everything that electric specced does well just doesn't cut it in EE and simply isn't needed in EN or EH. This is why I don't consider electric spec optimal.

Curious if U22 helps at all. I think I saw at least a LV24 Electric Rune Arm (that got buffed at least once after feedback) but not sure what other gear is dropping.

I think I heard on the developer twitch video that the new single-weapon-fighting feats work with Rune Arms though frankly I prefer to stay at range.

Quote Originally Posted by Nodoze View Post
    Curious if U22 helps at all. I think I saw at least a LV24 Electric Rune Arm (that got buffed at least once after feedback) but not sure what other gear is dropping.

I think I heard on the developer twitch video that the new single-weapon-fighting feats work with Rune Arms though frankly I prefer to stay at range.
    I'm curious about the new rune arm as well, but in the past I've been rather disappointed by new rune arms, so we will see.

SWF might open up some options for melee artis. But there is a definite lack of synergy. The melee weapon enhancements for artis only affect bastard swords and dwarven axes by raising their glancing blow percentage. The SWF feat line is better than the THF line for sure. Faster attack speed with the basic glancing blow damage is OK I guess.

But since the swashbuckling stance only applies to finesse weapons, they won't work with the arti enhancements. Although you could just use a finesse weapon to take advantage of swashbuckling, while using battle engineer primarily for the rune arm enhancements. But any arti/bard multiclass needs to be mostly arti since the power of rune arms increases with artificer levels. 4-5 bard levels at most just to reach those tier enhancements. Any more than this and the benefit of the rune arm is minimized and you'd probably be better off with a different kind of SWF imo. To top it off artis specialize in fire, force, and electric, while bards specialize in sonic. So I just don't see much synergy there.

The SLAs seem particularly suited for melee artis, but they will still have the same weaknesses and limitations that they have always had.

So overall I really don't see much changing for artis unfortunately.

Community Member

The Lightning Sphere SLA is actually a really good SLA. While the damage is rather subpar, it is a cheap and easy source of CC thanks to the fact that it doesn't seem to actually have a save against the daze effect. True, the daze is only 6 seconds and breaks on damage, but the sphere is easily spammable with a cost of 4 SP and a 6 second cooldown.

Quote Originally Posted by gwonbush View Post
    The Lightning Sphere SLA is actually a really good SLA. While the damage is rather subpar, it is a cheap and easy source of CC thanks to the fact that it doesn't seem to actually have a save against the daze effect. True, the daze is only 6 seconds and breaks on damage, but the sphere is easily spammable with a cost of 4 SP and a 6 second cooldown.
    Stuns that break on damage can be problematic. I use a lot of AoE effects on my arti (energy burst, blade barrier, improved precise shot) and a lot of other players do as wel - from melees with cleaves to casters. So to really get use out of this requires quite an adjustment in playstyle for a lot of players. Without that adjustment, you have to spam it constantly to really get any use out of it, significantly reducing your own dps. That's the reason why I don't like it.

Stuns that break on damage can be problematic. I use a lot of AoE effects on my arti (energy burst, blade barrier, improved precise shot) and a lot of other players do as wel - from melees with cleaves to casters. So to really get use out of this requires quite an adjustment in playstyle for a lot of players. Without that adjustment, you have to spam it constantly to really get any use out of it, significantly reducing your own dps. That's the reason why I don't like it.
    All very true though it may be something to consider when I play solo. But even solo between IPS and both the rune arm and knives both going in arcs it may be hard to utilize. I don't think I ever really tried it so hard to know...
    Last edited by Nodoze; 06-03-2014 at 10:54 PM.

Default U23 Gear Set

U23 should offer some closure to this discussion... finally. Huge improvements to gear will be available. The new rune arm, Knives Eternal, seems like it will be the sole endgame option. And there are a couple of significant options for fire spell power for use with energy burst. Fire has good synergy with the arcanotechnician enhancements to fire crit. So it looks like force/fire specced is the way to go.

Here is the gear set I've come up with for Dubbell, assuming of course that none of it changes when it goes live. So thoughts, comments, critiques, improvements, what do you all think?

U23 GEAR SET:
    Weapon: Thunderforged Heavy Repeater (1st degree burns/dragon's edge/mortal fear/orange slotted meteoric star ruby)
    Rune Arm: Knives Eternal (knife shot/spike guard/2d10 pierce imbue/impulse150/kinetic lore22/spiked - 3.5 pierce damage/blue OR yellow slotted disease10/green slotted poison10)
    Armor: Shadowscale docent (shadow phase x3/deathblock/ghostly/fort130/profane spell DC1/blue slotted PRR16/green slotted good luck2)
    Goggles: EH Intricate Field Optics (int3/spot20/TS/green slotted HP40/colorless slotted vitality)
    Helm: Epic Deific Diadem helm (lesser heighten5/int11/wis11/cha11/deific focus2/blue OR yellow slotted wizardry10/green slotted greater evocation focus)
    Neck: Sage's Locket (evocation focus5/spellcraft15)
    Trinket: Epic Litany of the Dead (turn the page/profane abilities2/attack4/damage4/light of dawn/blue OR yellow slotted blindness immunity/green slotted fear immunity)
    Cloak: Epic Cloak of Flames (combustion90/fire lore16/insight AC4/fire absorption20%/fire shield hot/inherent fire resistance10/colorless slotted/blue slotted)
    Belt: Epic Belt of Thoughtful Remembrance (deathblock6/con11/concentration20/resistance11/dodge11/greater regen/blue OR yellow slotted con2/green slotted striding30)
    Ring Swap: Seal of House Avithoul (dex7/sneak attack5/exc sneak attack3/improved deception)
    Gloves: Sanctified Gages gloves (UMD5/2d6 light damage/deadly11/greater dispelling guard/blue OR yellow slotted str6/green slotted str2)
    Boots: GS HP Smoke2 (45HP/dex skills6/blur/displacement clicky x2)
    Ring: EE Consuming Darkness (seeker12/combat mastery5/green slotted feather falling)
    Bracers: Epic Inferno Bracers (con11/fire resist40/combustion144/spellcraft20/blue OR yellow slotted dex8/green slotted dex2)
    Quiver: Quiver of Poison (d10 poison on ranged)
    Last edited by CThruTheEgo; 09-24-2014 at 05:38 PM.

Community Member

U23 should offer some closure to this discussion... finally. Huge improvements to gear will be available. The new rune arm, Knives Eternal, seems like it will be the sole endgame option. And there are a couple of significant options for fire spell power for use with energy burst. Fire has good synergy with the arcanotechnician enhancements to fire crit. So it looks like force/fire specced is the way to go.

Here is the gear set I've come up with for Dubbell, assuming of course that none of it changes when it goes live. So thoughts, comments, critiques, improvements, what do you all think?

U23 GEAR SET:
    Weapon: Thunderforged Heavy Repeater (crippling flames/dragon's edge/mortal fear/orange slotted meteoric star ruby)
    Rune Arm: Knives Eternal (knife shot/spike guard/2d10 pierce imbue/impulse150/kinetic lore22/spiked - 3.5 pierce damage/blue OR yellow slotted disease10/green slotted poison10)
    Armor: Shadowscale docent (shadow phase x3/deathblock/ghostly/fort130/profane spell DC1/blue slotted PRR16/green slotted good luck2)
    Goggles: EH Intricate Field Optics (int3/spot20/TS/green slotted HP40/colorless slotted vitality)
    Helm: Epic Deific Diadem helm (lesser heighten5/int11/wis11/cha11/deific focus2/blue OR yellow slotted wizardry10/green slotted greater evocation focus)
    Neck: Sage's Locket (evocation focus5/spellcraft15)
    Trinket: Epic Litany of the Dead (turn the page/profane abilities2/attack4/damage4/light of dawn/blue OR yellow slotted blindness immunity/green slotted fear immunity)
    Cloak: Epic Cloak of Flames (combustion90/fire lore16/insight AC4/fire absorption20%/fire shield hot/inherent fire resistance10/colorless slotted/blue slotted)
    Belt: Epic Belt of Thoughtful Remembrance (deathblock6/con11/concentration20/resistance11/dodge11/greater regen/blue OR yellow slotted con2/green slotted striding30)
    Ring Swap: Seal of House Avithoul (dex7/sneak attack5/exc sneak attack3/improved deception)
    Gloves: Sanctified Gages gloves (UMD5/2d6 light damage/deadly11/greater dispelling guard/blue OR yellow slotted str6/green slotted str2)
    Boots: GS HP Smoke2 (45HP/dex skills6/blur/displacement clicky x2)
    Ring: EE Consuming Darkness (seeker12/combat mastery5/green slotted feather falling)
    Bracers: Epic Inferno Bracers (con11/fire resist40/combustion144/spellcraft20/blue OR yellow slotted dex8/green slotted dex2)
    Quiver: Quiver of Poison (d10 poison on ranged)
    Glad to see you back, Cthru! I am curious if you are going to change your build at all with the new Harper Tree and I am theory crafting with gear if you anyone is interested as well.

Weapon: Needle (Voltaic Shock)
    Rune Arm: Knives Eternal (Reconstruction +138/???)
    Armor: Flawless Shadow Dragonscale Docent (2d6 SA/Good Luck +2/???)
    Helm: Dragon Masque (Globe of True Imperial Blood/Vitality +20)
    Goggles: Intricate Field Optics (Int +3/Resistance +8/Wisdom +8)
    Necklace: Sage's Locket/Iron Beads (Spellcraft +15/FF)
    Cloak: Adamantine Cloak of the Wolf/Jeweled Cloak (???/???)/Prismatic Cloak, Red (Resistance +10/???)
    Belt: GS HP Item
    Bracers: Skirmisher's Bracers
    Gloves: Epic Fanged Gloves (Evo DC +2/???)
    Boots: GS SP Item (Maybe switch to Epic Boots of the Innocent after buffs)
    Ring 1: Seal of House Avithoul or Guardian's Ring or Circle of Malevolence
    Ring 2: Consuming Darkness (Repair +15)
    Trinket: Epic Litany of the Dead (???/???)

I swap to Iron Beads for Energy Burst which goes well with Motes, and I need to fit in more augments, specifically +Con, False Life, and SP

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast