Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Some random rock hurdling through the universe to who knows where...

Default Optimizing a pure arti for EE

EDIT: U23 has largely solved the problem of gearing an artificer. Because of this, the options below are essentially outdated. Check out Dubbell O'Seven for a U23 gear set and build.

So I've been considering how to optimize Dubbell O'Seven for the current endgame and am having difficulty finding the balance. There's a lot to consider and these are issues that affect all artis so, at the suggestion of a friend, I decided to start a separate thread about it. Here is what I am currently seeing with optimizing a pure arti for EE.

Artificers need to boost 2 types of spell power: force (since it affects all relevant arti spells and possibly the rune arm if you're using Archaic Device) and 1 element for energy burst (and the rune arm if you're going with acid). Energy burst is extremely powerful and not using this is simply not an option for me. Formerly, I didn't mind not having a source of force spell power other than potency because there was little difference between the 80 potency on Bluescale armor and the 114 you could slot (when the level cap was 25). But 80 potency is way behind the 138 you can slot now or the 150 available from Thunder Forged crafted and lootgen weapons.

So how to fit in both force and elemental spell power is the central problem. Crafting a Thunder Forged repeater with 150 spell power means gimping ranged dps and is not an option as far as I am concerned. You only get one red slot on the repeater (whether you're using Needle or a Thunder Forged repeater), which means only one type of spell power. After searching for accessories (not weapons or shields) with elemental spell power or a red slot, the only two I have found that are worth considering are Corruption of Nature with 114 acid spell power and Iron Beads with 120 electric and 16% electric lore. Some older epic items and Cannith Challenge items have 90 elemental spell power, but that's barely an improvement from the 80 on Bluescale armor.

Going electric specced has the added advantage of an extra 4% lore from the arcanotechnician tree. But Iron Beads competes with the Sage's Locket, which means losing 5 DCs (which I don't see any other way to slot evocation focus) and needing to slot 15 spellcraft somewhere else.

Regarding rune arms: I would still say the acid and force rune arms are the only viable ones at endgame because of their 5 shots. Electric and ice still don't compare. There is no way to get acid lore (outside of regular spell lore, which has been totally gimped). So with the 20% kinetic lore on the Sage's Cuffs (along with the 4% force lore from arcanotechnician) and 138 force slotted in the repeater, I wonder if that would outdamage Corruption of Nature or Turmoil Within with 138 acid slotted in the repeater and only 9% lore from bluescale. Same spell power for each but 15% more crits for force. I might do a brief test using lootgen items with 138 spell power to get a feel for how these options compare.

So based on the above, I'm thinking the only decent options are:

1) slot 138 force in the repeater, Sage's Cuffs for 20% force lore, Archaic Device, Iron Beads for 120 electric and 16% electric lore
    2) slot 138 force in the repeater, Sage's Cuffs for 20% force lore, Corruption of Nature for 114 acid spell power, Sage's Locket, and Epic Rock Boots for 16% acid lore
    3) slot 138 acid in the repeater, Sage's Cuffs for 20% force lore, Corruption of Nature or Turmoil Within, Sage's Locket, Epic Rock Boots for 16% acid lore, and Bluescale for 80 potency (affecting force)
    4) slot 138 acid in the repeater, Sage's Cuffs for 20% force lore, Corruption of Nature or Turmoil Within, Sage's Locket, Epic Rock Boots for 16% acid lore, and the Holy Symbol of Lolth for 102 force
    5) slot 138 force in the repeater, Sage's Cuffs for 20% force lore, Archaic Device, Sage's Locket, and Sage's Spectacles for 132 fire and 18% fire lore

These options provide:

1) 183 force/24% lore, 165 electric/20% lore, -5 DCs -- strong rune arm, strong energy burst, strongest arti spells, gimp DCs
    2) 183 force/24% lore, 159 acid/16% lore, +5 DCs -- strong rune arm, strong energy burst, strongest arti spells
    3) 125 force/24% lore, 183 acid/16% lore, +5 DCs -- strong rune arm, strong energy burst, weak arti spells
    4) 132 force/24% lore, 168 acid/16% lore, +5 DCs -- strong rune arm, strong energy burst, weak arti spells
    5) 183 force/24% lore, 177 fire/22% lore, +5 DCs -- strong rune arm, strongest energy burst, strongest arti spells

These numbers include 15 spellcraft (assuming it is slotted if not wearing the Sage's Locket), the 15 spell power set bonus from the Blue Dragonscale set, and the 15 spell power set bonus from planar conflux. It is worth noting that options 1, 2, 4, and 5 can use either the blue scale set or the shadowscale armor/helm combo (for better ranged dps), so they have the flexibility to emphasize spell power or ranged dps, which option 3 does not because of its reliance on bluescale for the potency. Option 4 is not able to use the planar conflux set bonus. Tier 3 Greensteel accessories also offer 16% elemental lore (which would be used for acid), but the Epic Rock Boots allow for a better overall gear setup.

I think option 5 currently offers the most overall.

I have also been considering dropping the three spell focus feats to pick up the three mental toughnesses for another 3% spell crit. I'm feeling like just dumping DCs entirely on an arti and maximizing straight dps is the way to go now. A pure arti is only going to get around a 54 DC with minimal effort. That could be pushed up to around 60 with a lot of work (past lives and running in shadowdancer or draconic), but for current EEs this is still low.

So what do you all think? Are there any other items that offer at least 114 elemental spell power or a red slot that I'm missing? Anyone see other options that I'm not? Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Fleshy artis have the option of EE Shadowmail with 120 force or acid spell power. That locks out both the Bluescale set (which gives another 15 spell power) and the Shadowscale armor (which boosts ranged dps a bit). It is also medium armor so eliminates the use of evasion either with a splash or from shadowdancer.
    Last edited by CThruTheEgo; 10-20-2014 at 11:48 AM.
    White Feather Sniper: dps focused, 62DC paralyzing arrows human ranged ranger/The Divine Cuisinart: human tempest in divine crusader/Hassan's Assassin: 81DC halfling assassin/The Count of Monte Cristo: human swashbuckler/Dubbell O'Seven: WF artificer
    Abandoned builds: Totally Bass Ackwards/Santa's Little Slayer

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by CThruTheEgo View Post
    So I've been considering how to optimize Dubbell O'Seven for the current endgame and am having difficulty finding the balance. There's a lot to consider and these are issues that affect all artis so, at the suggestion of a friend, I decided to start a separate thread about it. Here is what I am currently seeing with optimizing a pure arti for EE.

Artificers need to boost 2 types of spell power: force (since it affects all relevant arti spells and possibly the rune arm if you're using Archaic Device) and 1 element for energy burst (and the rune arm if you're going with acid). Energy burst is extremely powerful and not using this is simply not an option for me. Formerly, I didn't mind not having a source of force spell power other than potency because there was little difference between the 80 potency on Bluescale armor and the 114 you could slot (when the level cap was 25). But 80 potency is way behind the 138 you can slot now or the 150 available from Thunder Forged crafted and lootgen weapons.

So how to fit in both force and elemental spell power is the central problem. Crafting a Thunder Forged repeater with 150 spell power means gimping ranged dps and is not an option as far as I am concerned. You only get one red slot on the repeater (whether you're using Needle or a Thunder Forged repeater), which means only one type of spell power. After searching for accessories (not weapons or shields) with elemental spell power or a red slot, the only two I have found that are worth considering are Corruption of Nature with 114 acid spell power and Iron Beads with 120 electric and 16% electric lore. Some older epic items and Cannith Challenge items have 90 elemental spell power, but that's barely an improvement from the 80 on Bluescale armor.

Going electric specced has the added advantage of an extra 4% lore from the arcanotechnician tree. But Iron Beads competes with the Sage's Locket, which means losing 5 DCs (which I don't see any other way to slot evocation focus) and needing to slot 15 spellcraft somewhere else.

Regarding rune arms: I would still say the acid and force rune arms are the only viable ones at endgame because of their 5 shots. Electric and ice still don't compare. There is no way to get acid lore (outside of regular spell lore, which has been totally gimped). So with the 20% kinetic lore on the Sage's Cuffs (along with the 4% force lore from arcanotechnician) and 138 force slotted in the repeater, I wonder if that would outdamage Corruption of Nature or Turmoil Within with 138 acid slotted in the repeater and only 9% lore from bluescale. Same spell power for each but 15% more crits for force. I might do a brief test using lootgen items with 138 spell power to get a feel for how these options compare.

So based on the above, I'm thinking the only decent options are:

1) slot 138 force in the repeater, Sage's Cuffs for 20% force lore, Corruption of Nature for 114 acid spell power, Sage's Locket, and Bluescale for 9% lore
    2) slot 138 force in the repeater, Sage's Cuffs for 20% force lore, Archaic Device, Iron Beads for 120 electric and 16% electric lore, and Shadowscale armor (probably with sneak attack) and Dragon Masque
    3) slot 138 acid in the repeater, Sage's Cuffs for 20% force lore, Corruption Nature or Turmoil Within, Sage's Locket, and Bluescale for 80 potency (affecting force) and 9% lore

These options provide:

1) 153 force/24% lore, 129 acid/9% lore, +5 DCs -- strong rune arm dps, good energy burst, strong arti spells
    2) 138 force/24% lore, 120 electric/20% lore, -5 DCs -- assuming 15 spellcraft is slotted somewhere, strong rune arm, strong energy burst, strong art spells, gimp DCs
    3) 95 force/24% lore, 153 acid/9% lore, +5 DCs -- strong rune arm dps, strong energy burst, weak arti spells

I think I like option 2 the best but I'm not sure about gimping DCs.

I have also been considering dropping the three spell focus feats to pick up the three mental toughnesses for another 3% spell crit. I'm feeling like just dumping DCs entirely on an arti and maximizing straight dps is the way to go now. A pure arti is only going to get around a 54 DC with minimal effort. That could be pushed up to around 60 with a lot of work (past lives and running in shadowdancer or draconic), but for current EEs this is still low.

So what do you all think? Are there any other items that offer at least 114 elemental spell power or a red slot that I'm missing? Anyone see other options that I'm not? Thanks in advance.
    Just wanna say thanks for putting the time to do this, been looking at Dubbell and like you answered to me: it was out dated...
    Race wise? still WF or BF is an option now? I know the -2DEX is bugging, but with power of the forge, it's like having the human'S damage boost AND endless fusillade...

Glass Cannon has impulse 120 and while the shot is not very good, having 2 imbues makes it the single best runearm for xbow dps.

EE Shadowmail is an option with 120 spell power to an element, spell lore VI and Wizardry X

If you really need to slot lore somewhere you could make a Greensteel with major lore to whatever element you want.

Options do seem limited. Arty is in dire need of new endgame runearms. The ToR ones are quite awful making Archaic Device (level 20) the best option. Quite a sad state.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ancient View Post
    Maybe you missed it in my wall of text but:

Some older epic items and Cannith Challenge items have 90 elemental spell power, but that's barely an improvement from the 80 on Bluescale armor.
    The goal is to slot spell power comparable to the values currently available, so none of that older gear is worth considering in that regard.

EDIT: Although the Rock Boots do have 16% acid lore, which is the same that a tier3 greensteel offers. That's only 7% more than what blue scale offers and only 4% behind electric with Iron Beads and the arcanotechnician enhancements. That would mean having to keep EE Corruption of Nature for the 114 acid spell power. I'd still be interested to see how Corruption with 114 spell power and 16% lore compares to Archaic Device with 138 spell power and 24% lore. This option does allow you to keep the Sage's Locket. It's worth considering.
    Last edited by CThruTheEgo; 03-31-2014 at 08:42 AM.
    White Feather Sniper: dps focused, 62DC paralyzing arrows human ranged ranger/The Divine Cuisinart: human tempest in divine crusader/Hassan's Assassin: 81DC halfling assassin/The Count of Monte Cristo: human swashbuckler/Dubbell O'Seven: WF artificer

Quote Originally Posted by Choopak View Post
    Race wise? still WF or BF is an option now? I know the -2DEX is bugging, but with power of the forge, it's like having the human'S damage boost AND endless fusillade...
    I still don't like bladeforged for the same two reasons I mentioned before. First, you need to spend a lot in the racial tree to really take advantage of the race and there is a lot to spend your points on in both arti trees as it is. Second, the SLA is a cheap, easy to obtain method of self healing, which is just redundant on a pure arti. Regular recon works just fine. I've rarely had problems with sp management, so I don't need anything cheaper, especially if the spell focus feats are dropped for mental toughness (and that would only be for the spell crits, not the sp).

Quote Originally Posted by Satyriasys View Post
    Glass Cannon has impulse 120 and while the shot is not very good, having 2 imbues makes it the single best runearm for xbow dps.

EE Shadowmail is an option with 120 spell power to an element, spell lore VI and Wizardry X

If you really need to slot lore somewhere you could make a Greensteel with major lore to whatever element you want.

Options do seem limited. Arty is in dire need of new endgame runearms. The ToR ones are quite awful making Archaic Device (level 20) the best option. Quite a sad state.
    Glass cannon does have 120 impulse but I didn't bother mentioning it because then you gimp you're rune arm dps, which is a huge contributor to your overall dps. So I don't see that as a viable option.

I'd forgotten about the Shadowmail. That's certainly a decent option for a fleshy, but I intend to stay WF for the easy button self healing. I also forgot about the lore on greensteel and that is definitely worth considering.

And I completely agree that artis are in need of new rune arms... preferably with a red, orange, or purple slot.

Thanks for the suggestions Satyriasys.

Quote Originally Posted by Satyriasys View Post

I'm sorry, Glass Cannon is worthless as an end game repeater, except if you are interested in breaking boxes or doing slight damage to that one elemental in Von 5. It barely does any damage whatsoever - like 500 or so per shot aoe and 120 force doesn't do much to help artie spells - which barely do damage as they are - enough. Yes, if you can hot bar it and swap it in just as you cast force spells, then swap back to an EE useful rune arm, you could use it - that, unfortunately, would gimp your force repeaters and your rune arm dps.

On pure xbow builds, that have splashed artie, then yes, Glass Cannon is good, since it provides 2 damage types. On pure artie builds, it's just not viable unless you're running EN, or EH as a support class.

To Cthru: I run with my xbow's red slot taken up by a 138 force augment and wear the 20% bracers. My Archaic Device hits for 1200-2200, BT and Ruin 3-9 k, and whatever for artie spells. Honestly, I'm thinking of turning off max/emp for tac/det and prismatic strike since I primarily use those as CC and not damage. BB is still very useful but rarely kills things before the timer wears out in EE content.

Because I'm concerned about CC, the must have for me is the Sage's Locekt (+5 Evocation, +15 spell power). I really don't see how this is an option on an artie and I certainly cannot recommend putting any other necklace on.

I apologize, I do not see Shadowmail as useful. First, you don't get a useful crit chance with it 6% is so low as to be meaningless - anyone who specializes is going to have much higher. Second, artie spells have three basic lines: electricity, force and fire. You really only need to specialize in one of those, since whichever one you use will carry over to most of your spells. Tac det uses force and fire. Prismatic strike, fire, force and sonic, and the other 2 artie CCs use electricity. So arties are basically going force or electricity, though a case could be made for fire. Specializing in acid or cold buffs only your acid rune arm damage (if you can manage to do two, though, hats off to you). Third, the dragon armors offer nice bonuses with the helmets.

Personally, I use the black dragon armor + helmet for the +2 damage and +5% rage effect. The blue is good, too, if you are trying to increase spell power (or fight electricity things). I basically stopped using it so I could focus on xbow dps. If you are using the new Thunderholme weapons, you are losing the potential damage bonus from the Prowess set - +4 - and the only way you can make that up is by wearing Black dragon armor, and that's only +2 artifact bonus.

Since you are suggesting two specializations, I'd like to suggest one more item: bracers of wind. +16% lightning lore, +90 magnetic spell power. Yes, not great and yes, it would preclude wearing the force bracers, but it's something to consider if one is going electric (and whatever) for the lore alone. In fact, a case could be made for making a pure electric specced artie who twists in electric Energy burst - give up on force completely. My guess is that this will be a favorite for melee arties, but you could probably make some of the electric rune arms worthwhile.

It is worth noting that, if you get 3 etrs for arcane, your crit chance for elemental damage types will go up by 9%. That's an amazing buff for arties! Our crit lines are only 1% per tier, which is half of what Wizards and Sorcerers get (and really, really sucks for us). So getting those past lives would almost double your crit chance without the use of any weapons - thereby making the non-force lines and rune arms much stronger. In fact, I'd suggest anyone who does that to specialize in fire or electric spell damage, though you could make a case for acid for sure.

Regarding Energy Burst: it's never been worth it on my artie. But I'm highly specialized in force. I tried it with electricity and only pulled off 2-4k damage with it. Since EB requires that I get surrounded, it was a hinderance. On the other hand, it mixes quite nicely with Primal Scream. You fire one then the other off, then your artie spells (in this case, set to max). I imagine arcanotechnitian types use it.

Thank you Cthru for this top - it's something we need to think about to keep arties as an end game class, despite the proposed changes.
    Last edited by Singular; 03-31-2014 at 12:54 PM.

I'd forgotten about the Shadowmail. That's certainly a decent option for a fleshy, but I intend to stay WF for the easy button self healing. I also forgot about the lore on greensteel and that is definitely worth considering.
    The other problem with Shadowmail is the effort required to farm out the one with the proper spell power, and not to mention that it is Medium armor and will axe the evasion you would get in Shadowdancer. Not sure if I like those two options.
    Panzermeyer - Huge Terry Brooks Shannara Fan

Main
    Jelara Shannara - Morning Lord Warlock
    (TR XXI - Barb x3, Drd x3, FvS x3, Pal x3, Rgr x1, Rog x2, Sorc x3, Wiz x3 - EtR XII - Epic Completionist - ItR III - PDK x3)
    Alts
    DamsonRhee Shannara - PDK Swashbuckler
    Challenge Farmer
    Eritria Shannara - Human Swashbuckler
    (TR VII - Ftr x3, Sorc x1, Wiz x3 EtR - Prim x1)
    Kirisin Shannara - Sun Elf Shadovar Infiltrator (TR XIV - Barb x1, Bard x1, Clc x3, Fvs x3, Sorc x3, Wiz x3 - EtR V - Mart x2, Div x3 - ItR - MLE x1)

I was taking my Arti TR project through the ropes to get him to the place of being a optimum Arti as far as PL are concerned.

On my druid lives I decided to play him in epics for a bit to get an ETR to get the experience of what it was like to play a druid before I roll one up from scratch and screw it up as a first timer on a druid.

Well I have had so much fun with him as a Caster Druid I am on my 3 ETR with him as a druid and have been having a difficult time deciding if I want to make him a druid or keep on my Arti project.

This post has made me realize why I am not playing my first life arti as much any more, and an aspect of my dilemma.

I think I will just turn him into a completionist Druid until there has been a gear upgrade for the Artis.

Main
    (TR XXI - Barb x3, Drd x3, FvS x3, Pal x3, Rgr x1, Rog x2, Sorc x3, Wiz x3 - EtR XII - Epic Completionist - ItR III - PDK x3)
    Alts
    Challenge Farmer
    Kirisin Shannara - Sun Elf Shadovar Infiltrator (TR XIV - Barb x1, Bard x1, Clc x3, Fvs x3, Sorc x3, Wiz x3 - EtR V - Mart x2, Div x3 - ItR - MLE x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Singular View Post
    I'm sorry, Glass Cannon is worthless as an end game repeater, except if you are interested in breaking boxes or doing slight damage to that one elemental in Von 5. It barely does any damage whatsoever - like 500 or so per shot aoe and 120 force doesn't do much to help artie spells - which barely do damage as they are - enough. Yes, if you can hot bar it and swap it in just as you cast force spells, then swap back to an EE useful rune arm, you could use it - that, unfortunately, would gimp your force repeaters and your rune arm dps.

On pure xbow builds, that have splashed artie, then yes, Glass Cannon is good, since it provides 2 damage types. On pure artie builds, it's just not viable unless you're running EN, or EH as a support class.
    Pretty much exactly what I said. The shot is a joke but the 2 imbues are nice for your xbow. I swap it in when I am just shooting something or too far to use my runearm, also I like having impulse sp but this isn't a good source for it since the runearm doesn't benefit from the force shot =(

Arty options really are not that great no matter how you cut it.

Quote Originally Posted by Panzermeyer View Post
    The other problem with Shadowmail is the effort required to farm out the one with the proper spell power, and not to mention that it is Medium armor and will axe the evasion you would get in Shadowdancer. Not sure if I like those two options.
    Good points Panzermeyer. I didn't really consider the pros and cons of Shadowmail since I'm not a fleshy, but these are both worth noting.

It's actually not hard to farm for. You can just invis to the spider, I think I ransacked it once or twice before I got the force version. But yeah, I stopped using it awhile back. It could of been the perfect arti armor with a few tweaks.

Thanks for the input Singular.

To Cthru: I run with my xbow's red slot taken up by a 138 force augment and wear the 20% bracers. My Archaic Device hits for 1200-2200, BT and Ruin 3-9 k, and whatever for artie spells. Honestly, I'm thinking of turning off max/emp for tac/det and prismatic strike since I primarily use those as CC and not damage. BB is still very useful but rarely kills things before the timer wears out in EE content.
    I can't imagine making an arti that doesn't specialize in force. So for me, slotting 138 force in the repeater is pretty much a given. It's just a question of how to fit in a second spell power for energy burst.

I don't use maximize/empower for tactical detonation or prismatic strike. I only use those for their CC potential, not damage. Blade barrier I still find to be very useful though.

Because I'm concerned about CC, the must have for me is the Sage's Locekt (+5 Evocation, +15 spell power). I really don't see how this is an option on an artie and I certainly cannot recommend putting any other necklace on.
    I don't like the idea of dumping DCs, personally, but at this point I'm willing to consider anything. I'd much rather have an effective energy burst than the minor CC capability of an arti. Sage's Locket is the only place to slot evocation focus 5 as far as I can tell. So if CC is your goal, then it is a must have item.

I apologize, I do not see Shadowmail as useful. First, you don't get a useful crit chance with it 6% is so low as to be meaningless - anyone who specializes is going to have much higher. Second, artie spells have three basic lines: electricity, force and fire. You really only need to specialize in one of those, since whichever one you use will carry over to most of your spells. Tac det uses force and fire. Prismatic strike, fire, force and sonic, and the other 2 artie CCs use electricity. So arties are basically going force or electricity, though a case could be made for fire. Specializing in acid or cold buffs only your acid rune arm damage (if you can manage to do two, though, hats off to you). Third, the dragon armors offer nice bonuses with the helmets.
    I certainly don't consider Shadowmail optimal, but then again, I don't really see any of our options as optimal. I do think the other options presented in the OP are better than using Shadowmail, but it is another place to get a somewhat decent spell power (you can also get acid on it).

And the second spell power is primarily for energy burst, not the rune arm. If it were not for energy burst, I'd just go force all the way and gearing would be a lot simpler.

Personally, I use the black dragon armor + helmet for the +2 damage and +5% rage effect. The blue is good, too, if you are trying to increase spell power (or fight electricity things). I basically stopped using it so I could focus on xbow dps. If you are using the new Thunderholme weapons, you are losing the potential damage bonus from the Prowess set - +4 - and the only way you can make that up is by wearing Black dragon armor, and that's only +2 artifact bonus.
    It's worth mentioning that the Shadowscale armor with sneak attack and Dragon Masque will offer more dps than the Black Dragonscale set. So I think it's more of a choice between the Blue set to max spell power or the Shadowscale set to max ranged dps. I think either one is viable and I'm still undecided about which one I will go for.

Since you are suggesting two specializations, I'd like to suggest one more item: bracers of wind. +16% lightning lore, +90 magnetic spell power. Yes, not great and yes, it would preclude wearing the force bracers, but it's something to consider if one is going electric (and whatever) for the lore alone. In fact, a case could be made for making a pure electric specced artie who twists in electric Energy burst - give up on force completely. My guess is that this will be a favorite for melee arties, but you could probably make some of the electric rune arms worthwhile.
    Bracers of wind is an ok choice to boost electric lore, but then you're limited to only 90 electric spell power. I'd much rather boost spell power over lore, within reason of course. That's one advantage of going acid specced over electric. You can use Corruption for your acid spell power and the Rock Boots for lore. If you go electric, you have to use Iron Beads if you want a decent spell power, which means losing 5 DCs.

Regarding Energy Burst: it's never been worth it on my artie. But I'm highly specialized in force. I tried it with electricity and only pulled off 2-4k damage with it. Since EB requires that I get surrounded, it was a hinderance. On the other hand, it mixes quite nicely with Primal Scream. You fire one then the other off, then your artie spells (in this case, set to max). I imagine arcanotechnitian types use it.
    Energy burst is huge. It's like an AoE boulder toss. But it does require that second spell power since there's no energy burst force. A 2-4k AoE every 30 seconds for almost no mana is pretty significant. I tend to have somewhat of a reckless playstyle, so getting in the middle of a group of mobs suits me quite well. I'll usually run back through a group while I'm kiting them around and hit it as I'm going through them. But that's another advantage to WF, you can be a little more reckless when you've got the easy button healing.

This post has made me realize why I am not playing my first life arti as much any more, and an aspect of my dilemma.

I think I will just turn him into a completionist Druid until there has been a gear upgrade for the Artis.
    Sorc has been looking pretty good to me.

I was taking my Arti TR project through the ropes to get him to the place of being a optimum Arti as far as PL are concerned.

Good thread and glad to see Singular, Ancient, Jelara & others chime in with thoughts & ideas. Sad to see no optimal solutions.

Very sad to see multiple considering shelving their Arties for/from EE content until Turbine releases some better upgrades/options.

Good points Panzermeyer. I didn't really consider the pros and cons of Shadowmail since I'm not a fleshy, but these are both worth noting.
    Yea I just won't do warforged. So my arti is fleshy going with construct essence. So I do consider it. =)

Main
    Alts
    Challenge Farmer

I have never run with TD or PS on Maximized. The damage is really minial even maximized, and just burns quicker to a smaller XP pool. Both are for CC. And thus the Sage's locket was a must for me.

I run with the bracers of wind as well. However I mainly do that for the blurry, dodge, and lightning lore.

I am with Cthru, Energy burst is a 20sp for that 2-4k of damage. And I have hit (electric specced) over 7k before on energy burst. Even if in higher difficulty content it doesn't kill stuff outright, 20sp for 2-7k of damage is pretty damn nice. Cheaper and more effective than any of the other Arti damage based spells.

Thank you Cthru for this top - it's something we need to think about to keep arties as an end game class, despite the proposed changes.
    I agree. But over all, I think that a lot of the DDO gear is lagging behind the game. I wish rather than increase the lvl cap to 30, they would work on updating some existing versions of gear, and adding new gear, to make toons more viable on the more difficult content. Artis are definitely lagging more than others.

Main
    Alts
    Challenge Farmer

Having played a lot of Sorcs, I think Druids are a more fun to play and a bit more viable.

Excellent healing and rez capabilities. Don't HAVE to be warforged for the self healing. Don't have to come to stupid MM Shiradi spams just to be effective.

Druids jsut have more options in playstyle.

And sides, lots of new spells from all of the older divine/arcane spells. The variety is nice.

And I have to say there doesn't seem to be any CC spell better than Earthquake.

Just having so much fun with the Druid class.

Main
    Alts
    Challenge Farmer

But over all, I think that a lot of the DDO gear is lagging behind the game. I wish rather than increase the lvl cap to 30, they would work on updating some existing versions of gear, and adding new gear, to make toons more viable on the more difficult content. Artis are definitely lagging more than others.
    Agreed. Although I think barbs, bards, and paladins would have a lot to say regarding our complaints about artis needing some love.

Having played a lot of Sorcs, I think Druids are a more fun to play and a bit more viable.

Excellent healing and rez capabilities. Don't HAVE to be warforged for the self healing. Don't have to come to stupid MM Shiradi spams just to be effective.

Druids jsut have more options in playstyle.

And sides, lots of new spells from all of the older divine/arcane spells. The variety is nice.

And I have to say there doesn't seem to be any CC spell better than Earthquake.

Just having so much fun with the Druid class.
    I haven't played a druid, but I would agree that they are more versatile. I just like to play the nuker role, which sorcs are exceedingly good at. I wouldn't go the shiradi route, just not interested.

If I ever do get around to playing a druid, I've already got my name reserved on Sarlona: Vespa the Druish Princess.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast