Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy Rest in Peace, David A. Trampier.

For anyone who played the classic AD&D - you know David A. Trampier's artwork, even if you don't know the name. He was the artist who created many of the iconic black and white drawings within the Monster Manual, Player's Handbook, Deities & Demigods, and the Dungeon Master's Guide. He also created the artwork on the cover on those same Player's Handbook and DMG. He also made the cover of several classic adventures, including the Temple of Elemental Evil.

His artwork also graces several of this year's Anniversary Cards.

Thank you so much, Mr. Trampier, for contributing that artwork. As a kid, those drawings brought D&D to life, and fired my imagination - spurring a lifelong love of drawing and creating in myself. I don't think it can be said how much his art influenced AD&D, and our enjoyment of it. It may have been Dave and Gary's rules and words... but his was the hand that brought so much of it to life.

Readers of Dragon Magazine also may remmber him as the creator and artist of the comic Wormy that graced that magazine for years.

He died this past week at the age of 59.

Thank you.
    “Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough.” ~ Mark Twain

Your first exposure to the art of DnD was far grander than mine.

I've looked through an original "Village Of Hommlet" down at my local games store (not for sale obviously) and it's probably the coolest real life loot I've ever seen pulled.

Barbachop/Fizzburn/Politikills & Boaby - Omnipresence,Ghallanda

Founder & Hero
    2016 DDO Players Council

Yah jolly Blackburn let us know we was hoping it was a rumor like Neuman's death was. Jolly was on his way to Gary con when we heard. I think jolly needs to stop going to cons since the one before this Aaron Alston died. Jolly tried to get him to do some new pages of wormy to put in KODT but Dave wouldn't think of it and didn't want to be bothered about it any more. I always enjoyed Wormy and his other work gonna miss the idea and knowing we will never have a chance at getting more of it.

Beware the Sleepeater

I wonder how many DDO players were teens around 1980 when these pictures were appearing in the AD&D 1st edition rulebooks? Those were great pictures and I ran a search on his artwork and saw pictures I hadn't seen since before I left for college and thought I'd left fantasy behind me.

Quote Originally Posted by waryJerry View Post
    I wonder how many DDO players were teens around 1980 when these pictures were appearing in the AD&D 1st edition rulebooks? Those were great pictures and I ran a search on his artwork and saw pictures I hadn't seen since before I left for college and thought I'd left fantasy behind me.
    You can count me among one of them. I turned 13 in 1980.

Compared to his beginner stuff, I think this is where he made great advances in honing his talent, like his iconic lich, rakshasa, and pseudodragon images (and who can forget those great Cthulhu images for the Dieties and Demigods volume?) when he went full-on, high-contrast with his technique.
    "Why is stuff so hard?" - William Murderface

Fond memories of nerdie nights with arcane manuals and funny (yet evocative) pictures...
    They still sit in my library.
    Rest in Peace.
    Elk
    R.I.P. Devourer - 20-Aug-2010 11:00 GMT(+1 DST)
    (World Broadcast): World broadcast: 'Farewell to all our loyal players and thank you for your time in Eberron. We wish you all the best for your future adventures. Please log out now as the servers are now going down. Many thanks, Codemasters Online.'

And another one bites the dust.

Funny how I only get to know who these hiding in the shadows folks are once they've rolled a 1 with a critical failure.

Quote Originally Posted by waryJerry View Post
    I wonder how many DDO players were teens around 1980 when these pictures were appearing in the AD&D 1st edition rulebooks? ....
    *Raises hand*

One of the hardest things to deal with getting old is watching everything we grew up with going away.

Star Frontiers:

tramp-star-frontiers-254.jpg

And my favoritest pic ever from Gamma World:

gammaworldhoops.gif
    Last edited by cdbd3rd; 03-29-2014 at 05:24 AM.
    CEO - Cupcake's Muskateers, Thelanis
    DDO Freebies

In a cozy little place just south of Hell

Heavy props to this incredible artist who had a huge influence on me as a child. I have played D&D since 1977 ( 7 years old). My brother was 5 years older and I got to join him and his friends at the round oak table in our living room. I loved looking at the Monster Manual and modules. His art will never be forgotten from me. RIP DAT

Enjoy the link to amazing amount of artwork he did

https://www.google.ca/search?q=david...w=1440&bih=754
    Mobility, proud leader of Bane on Thelanis ~ I am either loved or hated, there is no in between. (Self declared Ultimate Piker, though I now give my crown to Ranit. He has guildies log his toons and play his toons for him. Getting xp and not even playing the game? He wins)

In a cozy little place just south of Hell

Quote Originally Posted by LightBear View Post
    And another one bites the dust.

Funny how I only get to know who these hiding in the shadows folks are once they've rolled a 1 with a critical failure.
    lol, I want on my tombstone to read "Failed his saving throw"
    Mobility, proud leader of Bane on Thelanis ~ I am either loved or hated, there is no in between. (Self declared Ultimate Piker, though I now give my crown to Ranit. He has guildies log his toons and play his toons for him. Getting xp and not even playing the game? He wins)

Quote Originally Posted by LightBear View Post

Well, Trampier was literally hiding in the shadows since late 80s:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_A._Trampier
    CEO - Cupcake's Muskateers, Thelanis
    DDO Freebies

Community Member

Sad to lose such a Great artist, and 59 is so young to pass away in this day and age.

Quote Originally Posted by HackSlashKill View Post
    Heavy props to this incredible artist who had a huge influence on me as a child. I have played D&D since 1977 ( 7 years old). My brother was 5 years older and I got to join him and his friends at the round oak table in our living room. I loved looking at the Monster Manual and modules. His art will never be forgotten from me. RIP DAT

Enjoy the link to amazing amount of artwork he did

https://www.google.ca/search?q=david...w=1440&bih=754
    ditto.

Thx OP for bringing this to my attention.
    ROGUE Part QUATRE: Prove your Stealth Skills!

Proud Knight of the Silver Legion, Cannith: Saekee (main; epic completionist), Naerfelka (farmer)

Quote Originally Posted by Saekee View Post
    Thx OP for bringing this to my attention.
    I just wish the circumstances were better.

I also really hope his estate assembles a book or exhibit of his art. I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
    “Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough.” ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    I just wish the circumstances were better.

I also really hope his estate assembles a book or exhibit of his art. I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
    You wouldn't be alone.

RIP DAT

Default Sad so young!

I loved his artwork but never knew the artist til now! Those pics were my introduction to the fantasy realms and I still have them in the bookcase. I was only 12ish when the first AD&D books came out and played with a group of friends every week.

Thanks OP for letting me go back to my childhood and remember a bunch of pics and the man behind them.
    Lightsocket, Lightarrow, Lighter, Lighttank, Lightzapper
    Lightmeup, Lightsage, Lightemup, Lightrock, Lightbright, Lightsurge, Lightmaker, Lightbeam, Lightmist

Default interesting story

Yeah, wow, brings back memories and lots of nostalgia.

Read his story though - pretty strange. I wonder what happened in his life that would cause him to become a recluse.

Founder
    2015 DDO Players Council

RIP to a great artist who helped get this girl interested in such a fantastic gaming world. We need a memorial in Waterworks, lol. Kobolds always remember!

Saal
    "Fools said I, you do not know. Silence like a cancer grows, hear my words that I might teach you, take my hand that I might reach you, but my words like silent raindrops fell...."-Paul Simon "Day after day, we caught no breath or motion. As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean."--Coleridge

Being it long time i saw his works, i havent recognize at first what artist the article is talking about. I used my google fu out of curiosity and it was like BLAM!!! to my head when i realized its all about DAT my most favourite artist of classic ADND. I loved his works from the first time i saw his pics in 1st Ed Monstrous manual. Lot of his pictures are burned to my memory as archetypes of monsters (lich, vampire, medusa, pitfiend) and however good are artists who depicted those after DAT - i always see DAT ones first when thinkin about those creatures.

If there is Artist Olymp, i hope he went there. R.I.P.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast