Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Uber Uber Completionist
    2014 DDO Player Council
    The Stormreach Campaign
    Scotland - where the dwarf accents come from

Quote Originally Posted by Pandir View Post
    Hey it makes about as much sense as a frenzied enraged berserker having an increased chance at hitting enemy weak points (critical threat range increase) while swinging around wildly.
    The harder you hit, the more likely you are to damage a vital spot.

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Deadlock View Post
    The harder you hit, the more likely you are to damage a vital spot.
    Exactly. You don't have to make an organ go explody to still do massive trama to it.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    I'm sorry, an STR-based ability working on a INT-based RANGER weapon is stupid, even for you mammals.
    So you are advocating that the bow strength feat should be removed from the game?

Quote Originally Posted by Alfhild View Post
    So you are advocating that the bow strength feat should be removed from the game?
    It should be removed.

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Singular View Post
    Arties focus their fury through the lens of their minds, thereby increasing their damage via adrenaline.
    Maybe a better equalizer would be that if you use it, you damage your weapon due to abusive usage? That would effect everyone equally. I mean you are pushing the weapon beyond normal bounds be it ranged or melee.

Then I can see it in the store now. New argument, damage your weapon takes reduced by half! And a no damage augment for quad the price.

*shrugs* file the idea under random possibly bad ideas.

Community Member

It should be removed.
    Should this change also apply to the D20 system which allows composite bows to employ STR damage bonuses which the bow strength feat attempts to emulate?

It should be removed.
    Not for bows it shouldnt.

Whether people are arguing RL references, or D&D references, both allow for str to impact how much damage a bow can do.

The problem here is arbitrary damage multipliers, and since they fall under specific rules and lore, excuses are being made to limit who can have those arbitrary damage multipliers. Make up any lore you want, but giving arbitrary damage multipliers to some but not all, results in further bottlenecking of what is effective and what is not.
    Last edited by Chai; 03-28-2014 at 12:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan_Milic View Post
    People really like rumors on thelanis, this is just like the rumor about spinner of shadows, if you light the wards before you have all of the them more mobs will spawn, funny how fast false rumors spread.
    don't open the chest until the optional chests have spawned!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    Not for bows it shouldnt.

Whether people are arguing RL references, or D&D references, both allow for str to impact how much damage a bow can do.

The problem here is arbitrary damage multipliers, and since they fall under specific rules and lore, excuses are being made to limit who can have those arbitrary damage multipliers. Make up any lore you want, but giving arbitrary damage multipliers to some but not all, results in further bottlenecking of what is effective and what is not.
    We could go back to second edition rules. A critical hit means, you do double weapon damage on a 20, period. No str mods added, no expanded crit range or multipliers and no crits for spells.

That would balance the $&!@ out of everyone.

Not quite actually. In real life, that Nordic strongman dude who's going to be playing the mountain on Season 4 of Game of Thrones isn't going to be able to make a 20 pound draw weight juvenile recurve do any more damage than a skinny little 10 year old could. However, that dude would probably be able to draw back on a 300 pound draw weight bow made from a grand piano frame that launches projectiles the size of skinny little 10 year olds.

Bow strength in DDO doesn't really make sense unless you pretend the stronger you get you automatically change out your bow with an identical bow that has a higher draw weight.

Obviously not the most far fetched idea in the game to try to swallow, but hardly based in reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilldude View Post
    Not quite actually. In real life, that Nordic strongman dude who's going to be playing the mountain on Season 4 of Game of Thrones isn't going to be able to make a 20 pound draw weight juvenile recurve do any more damage than a skinny little 10 year old could. However, that dude would probably be able to draw back on a 300 pound draw weight bow made from a grand piano frame that launches projectiles the size of skinny little 10 year olds.

Bow strength in DDO doesn't really make sense unless you pretend the stronger you get you automatically change out your bow with an identical bow that has a higher draw weight.

Obviously not the most far fetched idea in the game to try to swallow, but hardly based in reality.
    We could pretend that they called it bow strength just to make it match it's description in a more newb friendly manner. And that it is really a fletching feat that allows the character to modify his bow to an appropriate draw strength.

My Elf pure ranger runs in FoTW all the time. I would be disappointed if I couldnt fury shot any more. I imagine if it was nerfed I would still run FoTW because it fills out my ability to melee nicely. Elf Ranger AA + FoTW enables me to run 50/50 ranged melee. I really like switching back and forth.
    Argonnessen - Glibb Bonefish, Lev 28 pure Elf Ranger

Community Member

And I'm sorry Mr Arificer, it affecting crossbows at all is ********.
    Artificer is my favorite class, and I absolutely agree with you. It really, really shouldn't affect crossbows. I didnt' even know that it did. This and another thread have taught me that apparently some people cannot play artificers without some stout crutches.

Exclamation

You talk about "arbitrary" as if it is a terrible thing, while in fact any mechanic in D&D (or any other game, for that matter) has been chosen arbitrarily. Giving some builds higher multipliers than others can in fact be beneficial for balance, if done correctly. I.e. provide a bonus to the weaker classes so that there is less "bottlenecking".
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelstar View Post
    The fact that some changes are necessary is not diminished by the fact that other necessary changes have not happened yet.

Being strong means that you have a longer window to aim for a vital spot. It also makes a bow easier to aim.
    Dystopia = utopia achieved

Community Member

Right, which is why composite bows in PnP required them to be custom made to match the strength of the user. Bows also came with a STR rating where you saw decreased damage if your STR was lower.
    But in a fantasy setting where magic runs wild, I really do not see an issue whereby magic bows possess an enchantment which allows the bow to have an upper limit draw strength which can adapt to the strength of the user. More powerful bows allow for a higher limit draw STR, etc.
    Attempts to discredit STR as being relevant to bow damage are based on both an appeal to an authority which does not exist in the primary reality and can be shown to be irrelevant in a world where you answer any physics-based anomaly with the answer "It's magic'.

Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

The only way that could work would be if the bows were magic.
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful

Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

We should also make Fury Eternal and Adrenaline not work with Finesse weapons.
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful

Quote Originally Posted by Alfhild View Post
    If you can bend a stiffer bow it stores more kinetic energy. A stronger person can bend a stiffer bow. The best reason to get rid of that feat is so they can give Bow strength without needing a feat.

I'm not a fan of governing the game via verisimilitude but nor am I a fan of using false verisimilitude to eliminate totally plausible things that ARE reality.

Quote Originally Posted by HungarianRhapsody View Post
    We should also make Fury Eternal and Adrenaline not work with Finesse weapons.
    It makes sense that Dex-to-damage shouldn't get this.

Njerf thehm!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast