Default Monsters Have Stopped Doing Their Jobs

Monsters with tasks, such as running to a gong at the first sign of trouble, or activating a golem when adventurers enter a lair, have stopped doing so after the latest update.

I don't blame them. The time they spend doing their jobs is ultimately fatal, however a lot of flavour has been lost, and a lot of gongs go unrung as a result.

Get a supervisor down to Sector 7G and get those loafs working again.
    <°)))>< O l d T i m e r s ' G u i l d ><(((°>
    H a r a j u k u - H o o l o o v o o - V e x x y
    <°)))><
    G h a l l a n d a ><(((°>

Really?

Sounds like I should run Frame Work a few times while the minotaurs are on strike.
    -Anything is possible....if you don't understand the problem.
    -Better to be perceived a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt.
    -Luck is simply a crossroads between circumstance and knowledge, both are things you can control.

I agree.

The slackers in Gwylan's stand used to run straight to their traps and activate them at the first sign of attack.
    Now they just run headlong into danger without any consideration for their tasks.

Turbine, please look into this!
    <-Curelite Bottling Company->

Quote Originally Posted by Chilldude
    Dude, did you see they way that guy just pressed button 1? It was amazing! A display of skill unseen since the 1984 World Games where in the men's room, between events, a man washed his hands with such unbridled majesty that people were claiming the faucet he used was OP.

This may be part of the AI changes that monsters now do that reflect the stealth process. Activating a trap is more of a "programmed" response that's different from the main routines that tell a monster to attack. I've also watched enemies attack me first and then go running to an alarm or trap to pull when their health is in trouble or some other condition is met (see "Blockade Buster" and the kobold engineers).

So maybe the trap-keeper's behavior is an unexpected side-effect of that programming change that now makes their searching for stealthy/invisible players work more realistically.
    Editor, The Book of Syncletica: An unofficial DDO Monk Guide, and Stormreach Shadows: An unofficial DDO Stealth Guide
    The Order of Syncletica: A DDO-flavored blog on Monks and gameplay and more
    (formerly known as Spencerian)

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spencerian View Post
    This may be part of the AI changes that monsters now do that reflect the stealth process. Activating a trap is more of a "programmed" response that's different from the main routines that tell a monster to attack. I've also watched enemies attack me first and then go running to an alarm or trap to pull when their health is in trouble or some other condition is met (see "Blockade Buster" and the kobold engineers).

So maybe the trap-keeper's behavior is an unexpected side-effect of that programming change that now makes their searching for stealthy/invisible players work more realistically.
    I've noticed that too, and I like it.
    First, it doesn't seem to be 100% guaranteed behavior- sometimes they go for the bell, sometimes they head for you first. Second, it gives non-stealthy people an option in those situations. And it seems like an option (at least with the mob-activated traps) that was originally intended- if not, why wouldnt' it just be a normal, proximity triggered trap (or spawns, etc.).

Quote Originally Posted by danotmano1998 View Post
    I agree.

The slackers in Gwylan's stand used to run straight to their traps and activate them at the first sign of attack.
    Now they just run headlong into danger without any consideration for their tasks.

Turbine, please look into this!
    If I'm not mistaken, if you attack them before they actually see you, they wont. But if they see u whole ur attacking something else or just gain agro, they set it off. Problem is there is a million range classes now, which has always messed up agro and we kill things too fast in general.

Seems the Kobold Unions are on the warpath again ^^.

Quote Originally Posted by Linvak View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, if you attack them before they actually see you, they wont. But if they see u whole ur attacking something else or just gain agro, they set it off. Problem is there is a million range classes now, which has always messed up agro and we kill things too fast in general.
    What I can say for sure is once upon a time it was IMPERATIVE to one shot them if you didn't have a trapper or you were headed for trouble. On hit or on sight they would beeline right to that trapbox and hit it at the first inkling of danger.
    Now I can jump up and down, wave my arms, throw a wet fish at their head and stick out my tongue while they shout and charge towards me.

No, I wasn't in stealth mode or invisible.

Something has definitely changed, and not for the better, IMO. I had thought it was just that quest until I saw this thread.
    <-Curelite Bottling Company->

Quote Originally Posted by Chilldude
    Dude, did you see they way that guy just pressed button 1? It was amazing! A display of skill unseen since the 1984 World Games where in the men's room, between events, a man washed his hands with such unbridled majesty that people were claiming the faucet he used was OP.