Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by mons View Post
    - When a Vorpal crit was the weapons crit range and not a natural 20.

- When you could glide around town on your back/sitting etc.

- When the loot chest in Caverns of Koromar needed no key to open.

- When the paralyze effect looked like the current hold monster effect.

- When the dc of a scroll was the same as the spell itself and we said goodbye to dimension door/firewall/cloudkill scrolls soon after.

- When booting people in group while they were in a quest.

- When there was no mail system or AH.

speaking of the no ah..i finally just deleted some PM's from back when the forums were used as the AH....that brought me back.

1) Stacking fire walls (esp 3 high for the giants)
    2) Everyone carried fire wall scrolls & used them everywhere
    3) The trap boxes in the fire room of STK before they moved them
    4) Shield walls
    5) The end fight of STK ... bring that back I miss it
    6) Playing follow the leader when blind
    7) Doing quests on elite way below level (STK at level 1, StormCleave @ 2, ...etc) ... please let us do this again - take away the silly level requirements
    8) The your gimp delete it & re-roll
    Last edited by Theolin; 03-25-2014 at 10:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Theolin View Post
    7) Doing quests on elite way below level (STK at level 1, StormCleave @ 2, ...etc) ... please let us do this again - take away the silly level requirements
    And you got bonus XP for doing a quest underlevel.

I remember the old loot runs. Giant Caves, Co6 Pt6, and Threnal South3. Making sure I left the last two before completion to keep it open and farm it to ransack once a week.
    Officer of Disciples of the Apocalypse on Sarlona
    Himawari Life 3 - 1 FvS | Svipul Life 3 - 1 FvS | Chikaze Life 2 - 2 PAL / 2 MNK / 4 FVS
    Completionist Project: GLaDOS - Life 14 of ??: Bladeforged 'Zeus' - Started 22/02/14

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grimborn View Post
    Back when being cursed or blinded was a real pain in the a**. Hoping a kind cleric would help you because it would NEVER go away by it's self.
    I got blinded near the end of Swiped Cygnet. When I recalled I had to "feel" my way to the vendors in the marketplace to buy a pot. Now you just wait a short time and it's gone - what's the point?
    He left the name, at which the world grew pale.

Math never helps solve problems, it only further complicates them.

Community Member

Guaranteed 2 items of raid loot in a raid chest = my best time in the game!

*Duoing DQ on my 6 con elven ranger with a Ariya (the killer rogue) every 3 days to load up on raid loot
    *3 manning Von 5 & 6 with ariya and anatela (ranger, rogue, pali) every 3 days to load up on raid loot (running von 1-6 in 1 hour, 3 man)
    *Showing friends in Reinos how to solo DQ in exchange for getting shown how to solo Stormreaver

3 manning VON 6 elite and failing on the last 1% of health because we ran out of time!

Good times!

Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    People died in lockanias challenge - the original tutorial in the beginning of the game.

The blackguards in Tempest Spine had 51 AC - people only hit them on a 20, so we made a shieldwall at every door and firewalled them to death.

Curses were perminent until removal.

Character death had a penalty of Xp debt.
    OMG - shieldwall in doorways was a fave tactic. Everyone carried a shield.

But the thing that used to irritate me the most (but is funny in retrospect) was when pets would go agro if their "master" left the instance. Was really irritating to be trying to FO and someone's pet would attack me lol.

And speaking of pets, Iron Defender pets for everyone

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by schelsullivan View Post
    I remember when I started, I was F2P and you had to loot a "sigil" before you could level past 4
    I'd forgotten about those. Weren't there different ones to get you to different levels? As I remember they weren't too difficult to get.
    He left the name, at which the world grew pale.

Math never helps solve problems, it only further complicates them.

I remember when everyone had to hide behind a boulder so the Wizard or Sorc could Magic Missile Velah until they died and another Wizard or Sorc would replace the dead person to continue using Magic Missiles against Velah.

The cleric would use raise dead to continue the fight. It was THE only way to finish Vault of Night 6.
    Gum Shoe~Drow Elf Rogue Hackin Slash~Human Fighter
    Timkin~Drow Elf Sorc Aarone Stone~Human Bard
    Tarnaa~Human Favored Soul Alcaden~Human Paladin
    Tipsee McStagger~Halfling Rogue Brawwn~Half-Orc Barbarian

I remember when each energy resistance required a spell slot.

I also remember logging in and sitting in the tavern casting remove curse/blind and healing people who had just died.

I remember my first help request. After "falling" from about a cm off a ladder and being insta-killed from falling damage. And the gm telling me falling damage was WAI.

Which reminds me, XP debt coupled with finite xp available

My first group run in STK and the many deaths that followed from the fire trap room and giant.

When my +1 icy mace on my battle cleric was awesome

When I used to check with groups to make sure it was cool if I used my icy mace since it broke mobs chance to drop collectibles

I remember when collectibles were important and trading them in for bane weapons to sell was great

I remember when I used to pug. Then more recently I pugged and remembered why I stopped. J/K... but seriously

When raid leaders got the shard (or key) to determine who got the raid loot!

When VON and Tempest Spine were both closed and only Raids in the Game!

When guilds had no ranks.

And waiting during Von6, so mobs could be pulled to Home Base.
    Last edited by Raiderone; 03-25-2014 at 11:21 AM.

No founder here, I guess I'm a FtP bandwagoner.

But, I have some fond memories of that time as well, such as: when palemaster's were the worst wizard tree.

When I started and I told an interested friend that this game was not for him since he liked tanks and ranged combat

Keeping tomes after TR inspired a revolution (of TRing)

You were happy to get your +40% xp for doing a quest on elite the first time

I carried a stack of 100 of the best tavern food in my inventory to get back to full health quicker after death (yikes I died alot)

An arcane toon was bound to Reaver's Reach since it was the only place you couldn't teleport to

Dropping group to reform to re-run an explorer

Getting 7500 kills in the Orchard was the preferred method of leveling an arcane

When drow were the good guys or slaves (mostly)

+2 tomes in store were the biggest PtW

"Link DR breakers" happened alot
    -Anything is possible....if you don't understand the problem.
    -Better to be perceived a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt.
    -Luck is simply a crossroads between circumstance and knowledge, both are things you can control.

Falling to your death from the upper levels of the market tent while shopping.
    Falling to your death in the House K trench.
    Drowning when falling off the boat where new characters appeared.
    Being blind and "feeling" your way to a tavern, then standing with all the other blind people hoping a "high level" cleric stopped by.
    Most Fighters were sword and board.
    Some of the best equipment was +5 mithril full plate and a Pearl of Power.
    Farming the Threnal Giant Caves for hours in hopes of getting a tome.
    The only way a non-caster could teleport was with a royal guard mask, and if it failed you were quickly a stain on the marketplace floor.
    Dragging mobs to Web before attacking was a normal tactic.
    Cloudkill through doors and walls was a normal way to get through quests.
    Ghallanda: Save the newbie, save the world.

Almost forgot, Protection from Energy was immunity and people would swim in lava for fun. Game breaking, but I kind of missed that.
    Ghallanda: Save the newbie, save the world.

2 minute pike-athon in Cult of the 6 Part 2... waiting at quest entrance for the rogue to complete the quest.
    Like many, Giant Cave is a must be told... It was nicknamed Guild HQ since we always had a party there.
    Retribution, being the weapon to get, unless you went for the Threnalian Warblade.
    You had to either complete all the quests of the Lower Harbor ( and you could do them on normal/hard/elite ) or go through the Low Road to enter the Harbor itself...
    Then you had to deal with Waterworks ( or bribe the guard ) to get the Commendation from Harbormaster Zin to enter the market.
    Irestone, Gwylan, Stormcleave, Korromar were tough...
    You could do quests like VON3 with LVL 5/6 characters ( on normal ) for phat XPs ( if you managed to avoid dying too much ).
    It was also the time where some people wondered why Irestone Inlet and Stormcleave weren't Raids...
    You were careful in quests, and hugged the Cleric... Death brought a real penalty.
    On G-Land : Flavilandile, Blacklock, Yaelle, Millishande, Larilandile, Gildalinde, Tenalafel, and many other...

Casting spells for the first time to see what the effects were in the Lobster on the first day the game opened. Using Cats Grace on people and going "Cool - a cat!"

The destruction of the Tent during the live second anniversary event. This was the most awesome thing I have ever experienced in an MMO (yes, even with the horrendous lag caused by ******bags jumping from one instance to another to follow it)
    Bring teleport more inline with PnP: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...Basic-Teleport
    Player made quests can work in DDO: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...erated-content

Quote Originally Posted by mons View Post
    You guys still active on Thelanis?
    If you are referring to the Crypt Crawlers, then yes . Although, we do have a number of folks no longer playing. I have been trying hard to fill back in the ranks.

Community Member

Sit 'n Spin your toon while shrining.

nm
    Last edited by Thrudh; 03-26-2014 at 08:30 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago. Note - This was posted in 10/2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by TedSandyman View Post
    Some people brag about how fast they finished the game. I cant think of a stupider thing to brag about. Or in this game, going from level 1 to level 30 in two days, or however long it takes. I can't even begin to imagine what drives a person to think that is fun. You are ignoring all of the content and options and going for sheer speed. It is like going to a museum and bragging about how fast you made it through. Or bragging about how fast you finished a good steak.

Quote Originally Posted by MagicBlue View Post
    Hours of waiting for a cleric in party? Yes, because without a cleric you could not go anywhere.
    Im glad we dont have this anymore.

I remember no search option for ah.
    Also many lfms to join party just so you can reset their wilderness or quest so they dont have to wait 5 min.
    Last edited by Ivan_Milic; 03-25-2014 at 05:30 PM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast