Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default For all the Vets - Want a new Perpective? A new feel of DDO (Accidentally Discovered)

This past weekend I did something on a whim. I logged onto a server that I never logged onto before and rolled up a brand new Toon. Wow does this give me a new appreciation for this game of ours. After running korthos island I went to the Harbour. Well, it is definitely not the harbour I landed in back when I was new and fresh to this game. Just finding the new locations and who gives what was actually refreshing and I felt kind of newbish on a game I have been playing since u7.My next thought was I have to get to my ship and ...... wait a sec...... So I made a guild. ...... then saw how much platt I didn't have, nor a TR bank, nor anything. I sat down. I laughed and thought how great this was.Here I am all these years later and feeling that new feeling again. It was great. I'm staying on that new server and going to grow a whole new DDO footprint. Of course I will go home and play my "Big Fat Toons" and they are great as well as the new content. But how cool is it to feel this game as a new player and a veteran at the same time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    To repeat what has already been said (numerous times, including once already in this thread): The DDO team is made up of a wide diversity of players, covering just about the entire spectrum of the player base. We have some that I believe would self-identify and in general be considered hardcore, others who are more casual. Some who are into the role play part of the game, some who have played permadeath, many who have spent time and effort acquiring gear and such. They bring both their professional and personal opinions to the decision-making process (in meetings, etc.) It's a good thing! Finally, I'm not at all embarrassed about how I play, not sure where you'd get that idea.

Glad you're enjoying it. It is definitely not for me. I thought I'd give it a go since I am now logging on different servers to trade cards and such. I have too much time invested in the gear I have on my characters on my main server to switch servers. Not to mention most of my characters are now multi-life with good tomes and such.

Quote Originally Posted by 2x4 View Post
    This past weekend I did something on a whim. I logged onto a server that I never logged onto before and rolled up a brand new Toon. Wow does this give me a new appreciation for this game of ours. After running korthos island I went to the Harbour. Well, it is definitely not the harbour I landed in back when I was new and fresh to this game. Just finding the new locations and who gives what was actually refreshing and I felt kind of newbish on a game I have been playing since u7.My next thought was I have to get to my ship and ...... wait a sec...... So I made a guild. ...... then saw how much platt I didn't have, nor a TR bank, nor anything. I sat down. I laughed and thought how great this was.Here I am all these years later and feeling that new feeling again. It was great. I'm staying on that new server and going to grow a whole new DDO footprint. Of course I will go home and play my "Big Fat Toons" and they are great as well as the new content. But how cool is it to feel this game as a new player and a veteran at the same time?
    It's pretty fun ain't it?

Community Member

Very rude of you to make a guild on your alt on another server, when you'll be going back to your real characters 'your mains'.

I've been invited to guilds that felt dead before, then later I've found out that the leader / officers of the guild I was in were all alts and kept their mains secret.

ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING, to be trying to play a main character in others secret alt guild and always been let down for 'reason unknown' hint: (they're really playing on their mains somewhere else).

Quote Originally Posted by Weredawite View Post
    Very rude of you to make a guild on your alt on another server, when you'll be going back to your real characters 'your mains'.

I've been invited to guilds that felt dead before, then later I've found out that the leader / officers of the guild I was in were all alts and kept their mains secret.

ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING, to be trying to play a main character in others secret alt guild and always been let down for 'reason unknown' hint: (they're really playing on their mains somewhere else).
    What?

He never said he invited other people to the guild. I'm sure he didn't.

A lot of people have their own solo guilds, or guilds with just a few friends. It gives you something to use your guild renown pulls for, and it's really nice to be able to use the guild vendors. Even a low level airship is much better than nothing, for the transportation options if nothing else.

I'm in a real guild on one server, but on my primary server I just run my own solo guild for my alts. I've never ground renown, so the level is just somewhere in the high 30s, but it's still really useful for me. Sometimes I think about joining an actual guild, but I'm weirdly proud of my dinky little solo guild, and it's nice feeling like I actually "earned" my ship buffs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizard_Zero View Post
    One day I just wrote "Why Do I Die So Much?" in party chat, and that is how I learned about fortification.

I'm sorry, I just don't see the rudeness in creating a guild on a server you're new on, even if it's only for an alt. You can always leave the guild if it feels dead to you.
    Keepers of Khyber - Proud Guild Leader

Quote Originally Posted by Flavilandile View Post
    This is how it should scale: Random loot < Named Loot < Raid Named Loot.
    The Trophy Room A great idea. Please do this devs!

only thing i have against that is that you cant play hard or elite unless there are groups up and comming from gland to other servers there are a lot less groups
    Elemo IronCast - Patorikku Yama - Happyfruit Wardancer - Toysoldier - Wookiee ~Ghallanda~

When seeking a guild, try to run with as many of their members as possible before you decide to join. Last thing you want to do when joining (or recruiting for that matter) is to blindly handle invites. Most of the time the results are less than satisfactory.
    Ryiah | Raeyah | Reikara
    Toy Soldiers

Community Member moomooprincess's Avatar

How does that person feel about BLIND guild invites? How does that poster feel about BLIND party invites?

I create my own guilds on new servers. You know why? So, I don't get invited to anyone else's guilds. I also do not invite anyone into my guild. Why do I want my own guild? Because I know I am not planning on contributing much to other guilds. Plus, I really do not care about guild buffs.

It looks like a wash to me. One player does not appreciate guilds being created on a server we do not plan on staying on, I don't appreciate being BLIND invited to guilds and parties on new servers.

Sometimes, I can't even get my own characters into the guild without getting two BLIND guild invites before I open my mail.
    Recipemaker Guild: Top Chef School of Recipes

Event Statistics: Risia, Festivult, Midwinter, Daily Dice, Mimic Hunt

Community Member

When did that turn into a thread about people having their periods?

The derailment about guilds makes no sense here. NONE!
    Kal Vas Flam... Corp Por... Corp Por

...And then there was silence

Wow. No reason to attack the OP like this. He never said he was inviting people. He also sounds like he is planning to spend some real time on the new server. I think the fact I enjoy my characters on the one server so much is why I don't get into running new characters on new servers. Anyway, you should probably practice taking what someone has written at face value rather than applying your interpretation of their writing and then using that interpretation as the basis and justification for attacking them.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyopa View Post
    Wow. No reason to attack the OP like this. He never said he was inviting people. He also sounds like he is planning to spend some real time on the new server. I think the fact I enjoy my characters on the one server so much is why I don't get into running new characters on new servers. Anyway, you should probably practice taking what someone has written at face value rather than applying your interpretation of their writing and then using that interpretation as the basis and justification for attacking them.
    Coyopa and to the others who responded like this. Thank you. On the server that I started on, with what people are calling my mains I have a solo guild. I have only 4 Toons and they are all at level 28 and I have been a solo guild for 80% of my time on DDO. The point of my post was that I accidently discovered that I can play DDO as a brand new player and as a veteran at the same time and all it took was starting fresh on a second server. So now I have more play options. I am not giving up an my original server at all. I am able to now play the game as a vet and as a new player. Also, on the new server the fresh start began last weekend so I am experiencing it new with the game as is today. It is very refreshing and also a challenge to have zero platt, no banked items and no possibility of my veteran toons passing me twink gear. Ungood knows what I am trying to say and caught it right away. I am just trying to share a positive experience with the game that I discovered by accident.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    To repeat what has already been said (numerous times, including once already in this thread): The DDO team is made up of a wide diversity of players, covering just about the entire spectrum of the player base. We have some that I believe would self-identify and in general be considered hardcore, others who are more casual. Some who are into the role play part of the game, some who have played permadeath, many who have spent time and effort acquiring gear and such. They bring both their professional and personal opinions to the decision-making process (in meetings, etc.) It's a good thing! Finally, I'm not at all embarrassed about how I play, not sure where you'd get that idea.

Someone just went off the rails into awkward randomland.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by 2x4 View Post
    Now go Permadeath.

Quote Originally Posted by jskinner937 View Post
    Now go Permadeath.
    Elite-Only Solo Ironman Permadeath.* ^^
    (Combat): ********** was healed by you for 5,033 points.

Quote Originally Posted by jskinner937 View Post
    Now go Permadeath.
    lol! Good on the people who are successful with Permadeath. I hate dying, but I like taking stupid chances and being able to get back up after.

Community Member

If perma-death was enforced someone, like an option when you create your character with say... you can respawn 3 times in your entire character's life(for lag deaths) and in exchange you get say 10% bonus xp and +1 Loot. I'd go permadeath. But right now, I just wouldn't have a reason to do it, fun yes, maybe. But I wouldn't trust the others who'd die stupidly not to respawn. And it's kind of limiting when you want to play with others too.

I remember finding out about Hardcore mode in Diablo II and then that's all I played. But back then, there was a very large community who played this mode, not just like what, 2% of the population?

Quote Originally Posted by Azarddoze View Post
    When did that turn into a thread about people having their periods?

The derailment about guilds makes no sense here. NONE!
    One word, Internets.

I found out the same thing as the OP, but because of maybe an odd reason.

I'm a premium player, and before MotU I was running out of character slots. There was a type of toon I really wanted to try out, so I went to a different server and made it. Now I have a pretty good stable on two servers. If the lfms are dead in one place, I look at the other.
    Sarlona: Aramzim, Attickus, Behren, Daaghda, Darksyde, Fyggaro, Oldero
    Argonessen: Egyll, Ghrae, Mitrel, Physz, Sanjurow, Schaeleen
    Thelanis: Aarlyss | Ghallanda: Glooming | Khyber: Ghrae

Default Almost the same feeling

I have been playing the same toons for years now. Recently my daughter wanted to try the game so I rolled a brand new toon. Decided, to be fair, I would not use any twink gear as my daughter has none. The quests are not the cake walk they are with a multilife twinked out toon. Been having a blast as we need to play smarter now.

I would recommend that many of the players claiming everything is so easy to give this a go.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sarlona Server - Blime | Darkgeddy | Youburn | Northernboy | Lakeside | Toasthead

Leader of The Wulfepack - "If you call one wolf, you invite the Pack"
    Visit http://thewulfepack.shivtr.com/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast