Community Member

Default Fire on Thunder Peak / Temple of the Deathwyrm : Named items/mats Drop rates

How do you feel with the named items/Phlogistons drop rates ?

After 10 runs ( Mix of EN/EH ) of Thunder Peak i saw only one named...

Is it WAI ?

To acquire new items is only a part of a MMORPG ofc and i like those new raids i had fun in, but imo it would be nice to up the drop rates, i dont see the point to bring so much frustration to players or to have to repeat so much times a raid to have a chance to get something...

I agree, I also ran 10 runs on Sunday and only saw 1 named item drop (helm). My last 3 runs were with a different group and they saw only 1 name drop in their 8 runs (ring). Since 0 side chests spawned for us, hopefully there is a chance drop in every chest when it is fixed. As of right now... This is redonkulus!

My haul was 52 Red dragon scales and 4 Philogistin before ransack. Tell me again why ransack occurs when you paid turbine to run the raid and loot the chest again?
    Last edited by Zzevel; 03-24-2014 at 11:17 AM.

The drop rates are far too low, plain and simple. We're supposed to have worthwhile differences for the difficulties (see below), but frankly, running EN over and over and over again to 20th completion seems the most efficient method. I understand Turbine wants difficulties beyond EE to be worth running, but from my experience so far with a number of EE and EH completions, there is zero worthwhile difference, if anything, named raid loot drops are actually worse on higher difficulties...

Source:
    Quote Originally Posted by DrOctothorpe View Post
    Scaling Treasure (Normal/Hard/Elite differences)
    For Update 21, items will not be different based on the difficulty of the content run. You can consider this to be the default status for this year’s coming releases, but we are constantly reviewing the incentives for running different difficulties, and we’ll adjust our approach as needed. The difficulty incentives in U21 content rely on drop rates, and we are attempting to scale those so there is a real, worthwhile difference.
    Degenerate Matter
    Argonnessen

Grizzt
    Ivandria
    Sazcir
    Halania
    Tazaras
    Karjya
    Shintao Monk Henshin Mystic Mechanic Artificer Tempest

Archmage
    (Retired)
    Air Savant
    (Retired)

Quote Originally Posted by grohgredin View Post

Is it WAI ?

To acquire new items is only a part of a MMORPG ofc and i like those new raids i had fun in, but imo it would be nice to up the drop rates, i dont see the point to bring so much frustration to players or to have to repeat so much times a raid to have a chance to get something...
    The drop rate in the actual chest is miniscule. I believe the intent is for players to grind to 20 (ideally buying bypass timers from the store) to get the items they want. I know there was much talk from players about Turbine lowering raid loot drop rates to increase bypass sales. This may or may not have anything to do with that, but when you run 20 runs in full groups and only see one or 2 items for all players among those runs, it sure seems like Turbine really wants you to just grind to 20.

I personally would rather have higher chances in the chest. The old 1 in 6 odds were fine back in the day. I suppose they think that because there are fewer items and a crafting system that they could just lower rates. I prefer to feel like I have a reasonable shot at raid loot from the chest and not have to run to 20 for loot. I'd love to hear from a dev about whether this is working as intended and the logic behind these low drop rates if that's the case. I'm about ready to bug report it, but it's totally possible it's WAI.
    Kaarloe - Degenerate Matter - Argonnessen

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by grohgredin View Post

Is it WAI ?

Considering there are only 4 named from each raid, it seems WAI if you compare it other raids with many more named items. In other words if it were 1% for each named item, in a full raid party there will only be a 48% chance to see a named item pop in the entire party. If it's .5% then it's a 24% chance for entire party. Again seems about right for normal raid loot.

As far as phlogs go, finish farming the other ings before you complain about phlogs. Unless you like farming rates daily in the wilderness, you will be short on Dwarven ingots among all other mats, including phlogs.

By the way 20th lists have a choice of any named item, 10 phlogs or 100 scales. In my opinion there should be 500 ingots in this list as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzt14 View Post
    The drop rates are far too low, plain and simple. We're supposed to have worthwhile differences for the difficulties (see below), but frankly, running EN over and over and over again to 20th completion seems the most efficient method. I understand Turbine wants difficulties beyond EE to be worth running, but from my experience so far with a number of EE and EH completions, there is zero worthwhile difference, if anything, named raid loot drops are actually worse on higher difficulties...

Source:
    I think that's where Turbine missed the mark. When the drop rates are so low on any difficulty that the run to 20 is ALWAYS your best option, there is something wrong. If players were to stick to EN only, I might see this logic, but running 20 EH or EE raids really should give you a noticeable chance of pulling your item (or any item) before hitting the 20th list.

Quote Originally Posted by jskinner937 View Post
    Considering there are only 4 named from each raid, it seems WAI if you compare it other raids with many more named items. In other words if it were 1% for each named item, in a full raid party there will only be a 48% chance to see a named item pop in the entire party. If it's .5% then it's a 24% chance for entire party. Again seems about right for normal raid loot.

As far as phlogs go, finish farming the other ings before you complain about phlogs. Unless you like farming rates daily in the wilderness, you will be short on Dwarven ingots among all other mats, including phlogs.

By the way 20th lists have a choice of any named item, 10 phlogs or 100 scales. In my opinion there should be 500 ingots in this list as well.
    If your math is correct, there is no way it's even as high as .5% You could easily go 5 or 10 runs in a row without seeing a single piece of raid loot for the entire party.

Community Member

I think they missed the mark with the low amount of items, likely from doing too many quests and systems at once (2 raids, crafting system, armor crafting, and classic named from haunted halls). Raids should have more then 4 items, increase it to like 10-15, some items with effects around top tier random gen loot with an extra socket, some flavor (eternal fom/deathward, rainbow socket item with random +10 stat, eternal cold shield). Maybe a weapon or two with increased crit range, crit multiplier, or base dmg, a weapon which doesn't get much use (great crossbow, hand axe, throwing axe) - make them icy or able to help deal with the raid. One semi-decent set of 3 items for an overlooked class (turn undead maybe?). All the items don't need to be great, but it would be nice if something dropped. If the items were just a decent upgrade to loot gen people could still enjoy it. Who cares make it exactly the same a top tier loot gen (28+wondrous crafting) then let people use 20-40 ingots to upgrade it to have 1 socket, another 40-60 ingots and upgrade it to 2 sockets.

Green steel had so many ingredients required, in tiers, and so many chests that it doesn't feel like as much of a grind. YOU GOT SOMETHING EVERY RUN

This raid drops 1 chest, with nothing in it, very boring.

ON a side note I really enjoy this raid, and though I've only ran the deathwyrm raid once I enjoyed that too. After multiple runs of fire on thunder peak and not one named item (zero for ANYBODY in the GROUP) I'm getting kind of bored. Running something 20 times should not be required! For shroud it is still an OPTION, not a requirement.

People still run VON 5-6 for the couple good items, but most people still feel ok with other items, at least you got something. People put things up for dice rolls etc. and its fun. On thunder peak, everyone loots and leaves immediately.
    Last edited by Arcanegrin; 03-24-2014 at 04:36 PM.

This is why I think the chest re-roll is a bad idea. It encourages Turbine to give extremely low drop rates to encourage us to waste our shards on re-rolls. They're not supposed to be available in raids but were in the new ones last I checked.

You cannot reroll the raid chest. When the update first came out you could reroll. That has been turned off though.

The fire raid only having one chest on EN, 2 on EH is kind of lame. There should be at least 2 side chests and then the Warded one for that raid.
    Characters: Celemia / Tukson / Thau (Broken link) / Atremus

“A pessimist is one who feels bad when he feels good for fear he'll feel worse when he feels better.”

I was fortunate enough to pull the belt out of Deathwyrm my first run through on EH. This is very much the exception not the rule, but I agree that the drop rates for items is incredibly low in game. Turbine uses the same formula/algorithm for all chests and the drop rate for an item you want likely sits below 1% of a chance.

Naturally, people will always complain about loot mechanics. After 30 EH/EE runs of VoN 5/6 on multiple characters I have seen the SoS shard drop a grand total of two times - and I am still waiting to get mine.

I do know that the length of time these two new raids have been available does not equate to the thousands of scales that are posted on the ASAH and the regular auction house.
    ~ Archangels ~
    Grimmlock (Heroic Completionist Life 15); Saulot (Life 3); Leviathian (Life 5); Flogging Molly; Mithriss; TheBoondock Saynts; Bushmils; Humblebeard; Guinnesss.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by redspecter23 View Post
    If your math is correct, there is no way it's even as high as .5% You could easily go 5 or 10 runs in a row without seeing a single piece of raid loot for the entire party.
    eH I think is right on the money...1/2 see named item. Don't do much eN runs, but ran an eE on each and skunked both times. Heard from others that eE compred to eH is very little difference however.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grimlock View Post
    I was fortunate enough to pull the belt out of Deathwyrm my first run through on EH. This is very much the exception not the rule, but I agree that the drop rates for items is incredibly low in game. Turbine uses the same formula/algorithm for all chests and the drop rate for an item you want likely sits below 1% of a chance.

Naturally, people will always complain about loot mechanics. After 30 EH/EE runs of VoN 5/6 on multiple characters I have seen the SoS shard drop a grand total of two times - and I am still waiting to get mine.

I do know that the length of time these two new raids have been available does not equate to the thousands of scales that are posted on the ASAH and the regular auction house.
    30 runs seen twice the eSoS shard? Wow. 800 runs here dating back to old epic and seen guessing less than 15, never once in my name.

30 runs seen twice the eSoS shard? Wow. 800 runs here dating back to old epic and seen guessing less than 15, never once in my name.
    800 epic runs? Lol. Uh huh.
    ~ Archangels ~
    Grimmlock (Heroic Completionist Life 15); Saulot (Life 3); Leviathian (Life 5); Flogging Molly; Mithriss; TheBoondock Saynts; Bushmils; Humblebeard; Guinnesss.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

I'll tell you if you take care of your own curses.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimlock View Post
    800 epic runs? Lol. Uh huh.
    Can happen. A guildie of mine did over 600 runs before the SoS shard dropped for him. I was in the party- you would have thought he had a heart attack with all the screaming. Quite exciting.
    ~ Pallai, Chennai, Saraphima~
    ~Shipbuff, Sophalia, Northenstar ~
    ~ Ascent~

Community Member

40 runs on a combination of EN but mostly EH and I have seen 4 items drop and all of those in the Fire Raid. We havent seen a single item in the TotD Raid. Its almost like Turbine wants us to buy raid timers to get to 20 so we can pick our loot......
    Fist and Faith
    Musashi DragonClaw
    Thelanis Warclaws, DragonClaws, MusashiCLAW, Warsclaw
    www.C-L-A-W.org

Keep in mind that there is going to be a few folks who are on ransack for raids, but buying timers for the completion count, that will never see any raid loot. It skews the drop rate.
    Sarlona Server Mythical:
    Kluege Fixer- Baddabing - Majuscule Kluege - Klueje - Klooj Maker - Dundar Kluege - Superkluege

2016 DDO Players Council PsychoBlonde's Avatar

I was wondering about this, because it's the raids with very few named items that people complain about low drop rates the most. If drop rates are on a per-item basis instead of a "roll to see if you got AN item, then roll to see which ONE it was" sort of basis, then yeah, fewer items means you're not going to see many, if any, per run, but your chances of getting a SPECIFIC item are still the same.
    Thelanis player: Lehren (heroic/epic completionist), Kimberlei (heroic/epic completionist), Natheme, Daiahn, Arrekeh