Default Old player thinking about coming back

Hiho

I used to play ddo a lot up to 2009 and I've been thinking about coming back to it.

I'm just wondering whats changed with regards to quests/character progression/community.

old mains were Dunsparrow (fighter) and Hairlock (wizard) on Cannith

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Picker View Post
    Hiho

I used to play ddo a lot up to 2009 and I've been thinking about coming back to it.

I'm just wondering whats changed with regards to quests/character progression/community.

Everything changed, pretty much. More quests, some extremely fun, most normally fun, few boring (I am looking at you, lord of stone!).

Character progression - we got nech enchancement (better), which changed the game a LOT (multiclassing is the way to go now). We also get epic destinies - these work after level 20 (aye, the current cap is level 28, final capp will be level 30) and they are... extension to character class? Its much more complicated. Imagine them as switchable epic level classes.

Community - well, I arrived as you left. So, hard to say. We lost Shade. We got Teh_Troll. I would say that DDO is much bigger then it used to be and it has smaller, but loyal (and in some cases, extremely bitc... hmmm... arguing? :-) community).

That said, DDo is well worth a visit again.

And if you are on cannith, send mail or PM to Ardeen, and I show you around....
    Quote Originally Posted by bartharok View Post
    Its also a hireling, it needs buffs to figure out what end the food goes in.
    Quote Originally Posted by FranOhmsford View Post
    Oh and Lol - Fortitude 57, Reflex 64, Will 55 {Godlike Saves!}.
    Quote Originally Posted by VCB View Post
    There are players that I wish could be improved to the point of being a hire.

Oi vey. You're coming back to pretty much a new game honestly. In my opinion the majority of the changes have been for the better. Enhancements, quests and so forth. I really couldn't even begin to list the changes from 2009. My suggestion is to just jump in the pool, ask questions and have fun.

Don't mind some of the forumites, it's pretty easy to figure out who to not pay attention to.

Above all, welcome back!

Main: 18 Artificer, Thelanis

Community Member moomooprincess's Avatar

Hmmm, Cannith started August 2009 for VIPs and opened up to F2P September 2009.

Enhancements - COMPLETELY different

Free Silver Daily Dice gives you free junk every day. If a VIP you get a FREE Gold roll once per week.

All the quests are the same, but XP is different.

Since TRing is the name of the game, Turbine lowered the amount of XP it takes to level on your first life, then it gets progressively worse.

There is this thing called Cannith Crafting, MAJOR GRIND, but you can craft one or two unique items.

Loot is COMPLETELY different. You will find new prefixes and suffixes and just about all of the old prefixes and suffixes are gone.

Feather Fall Items are common as swords. Underwater Action, and thieves items rare as anything.

You now have SKILL tomes, such as Bluff +1, +2 +3 etc.

Some quests and adventure packs have been epicized. Epic is how you progress in level 21 and higher.

The 8th Birthday Event is the BEST EVER and it is going on right now.
    Last edited by moomooprincess; 03-20-2014 at 10:03 AM.
    Recipemaker Guild: Top Chef School of Recipes

Event Statistics: Risia, Festivult, Midwinter, Daily Dice, Mimic Hunt

Hiho

You're looking at a brand new game compared to 2009 with character progression all the way to level 28. You'll be busy.

I had a few level 20's that i had ready for a TR, can i still do this at 20 or do i need to get to 28?

Community Member moomooprincess's Avatar

I had a few level 20's that i had ready for a TR, can i still do this at 20 or do i need to get to 28?
    Yes you can TR at 20 still. 28 is if you want Epic Destinies.

TR is an all new ballgame.

OH, and TR is now located in the Hall of Heroes, not in House J.
    Recipemaker Guild: Top Chef School of Recipes

Event Statistics: Risia, Festivult, Midwinter, Daily Dice, Mimic Hunt

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Brief summary of major changes in the last few years:
    • Level cap has been bumped up to 28. Epic lvls (lvl 21-28) are classless; everyone gains the same bonuses to skills, BAB, etc., as well as extra stat pts & feat slots.
    • Epic Destinies were added. These provide a lot of extra oomph to every character and are the real meat of epic char customization, IMHO.
    • The Enhancement system was completely overhauled last summer; several new PrEs were added, others got expanded, a few got merged. As with any major rebalancing, a lot of old builds got nerfed (or at least tweaked) while new builds have emerged on top. [EDIT: ironically, though, we still don't have the extra racial PrEs we were promised many, many moons ago - the more things change...]
    • Iconic Heroes were added.
    • Reincarnation system has been expanded; in addition to LR & HTR, there's now ITR and E(T)R. Confused by acronyms? Go read the wiki page.
    • Lots of new content, mostly set in the Forgotten Realms: two major expansions (MotU and Shadowfell), plus a few quest packs (Druid's Deep, High Road of Shadows, and now Thunderholme). Oh, and Gianthold got epic-fied in U17.
    • Thunderholme (U21) has also added Thunder Forge crafting.

That's a lot to take in at once, I know; so it may be easier if you ask for specific pointers (e.g., "How do I make a Pale Master now?"), rather than try to absorb all the changes at once.
    Last edited by unbongwah; 03-20-2014 at 10:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    Brief summary of major changes in the last few years:
    • Level cap has been bumped up to 28. Epic lvls (lvl 21-28) are classless; everyone gains the same bonuses to skills, BAB, etc., as well as extra stat pts & feat slots.
    • Epic Destinies were added. These provide a lot of extra oomph to every character and are the real meat of epic char customization, IMHO.
    • The Enhancement system was completely overhauled last summer; several new PrEs were added, others got expanded, a few got merged. As with any major rebalancing, a lot of old builds got nerfed (or at least tweaked) while new builds have emerged on top. [EDIT: ironically, though, we still don't have the extra racial PrEs we were promised many, many moons ago - the more things change...]
    • Iconic Heroes were added.
    • Reincarnation system has been expanded; in addition to LR & HTR, there's now ITR and E(T)R. Confused by acronyms? Go read the wiki page.
    • Lots of new content, mostly set in the Forgotten Realms: two major expansions (MotU and Shadowfell), plus a few quest packs (Druid's Deep, High Road of Shadows, and now Thunderholme). Oh, and Gianthold got epic-fied in U17.
    • Thunderholme (U21) has also added Thunder Forge crafting.

That's a lot to take in at once, I know; so it may be easier if you ask for specific pointers (e.g., "How do I make a Pale Master now?"), rather than try to absorb all the changes at once.

Thanks for the summary i think i'll be downloading this tonight

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Oh, you might also want to review the account comparisons, particularly if you've come back as a VIP, as there are a few things you still need to pay to unlock (like the expansions & EDs). Also check out EllisDee37's quest pack reviews if you need some guidance about what quests are worthwhile.

Welcome back.

Community Member

Welcome back! My husband stopped playing for a bit and then came back. He said there are so many differences between before and now. I only started playing a year or so ago, but there have been many changes in that short time. I play on Orien mostly, occasionally on Cannith. I have many friends on Orien, only play Cannith with my son.

Depending on how you like to play there are different builds I recommend. If you are a up-close melee type, a fighter/rogue is the choice. A distance (ranged) type, a ranger is your best bet. If you really want to mix it up, a clunk (cleric/monk) is fun. I usually stick to straight cleric or 2 rogue/18 artificer. I only have 1 TR character, but 13 other characters that range from 4 to 16 levels. We are VIP, and so have 14 character slots. Are you coming back as a VIP?

3 types of TR. For heroic you need to be 20 and you go back to 1. For iconic you need to be 28 and you go back to 15 (as Iconic). For Epic you need to be 28 and you go back to 20 with all flagged stuff intact (including slayer counts and such).

Quote Originally Posted by patang01 View Post
    3 types of TR. For heroic you need to be 20 and you go back to 1. For iconic you need to be 28 and you go back to 15 (as Iconic). For Epic you need to be 28 and you go back to 20 with all flagged stuff intact (including slayer counts and such).
    This isn't quite right on iconic and heroic.

For heroic, you have to currently be a non-Iconic race, and you have to be level 20 or higher. You retain any progress in epic destinies, although they're disabled until you get back to level 20, but you lose any epic levels. You can start over at level 1 if TRing into a normal race or level 15 if TRing into an iconic race. You receive one heroic past life (free passive feat and selectable active feat), for whatever the dominant class of your current life is.

For iconic, you have to currently be an Iconic race, and you have to be level 28. You retain any progress in epic destinies, although again they're disabled. You lose your epic levels. You can start over at level 1 if TRing into a normal race or level 15 if TRing into another iconic race. (You do not have to go Iconic->Iconic, you can choose to go Iconic->Heroic.) Your receive two past lives -- an Iconic past life for your current Iconic race (both a passive feat and a selectable active iconic stance) and the heroic past life for your dominant heroic class (the same free passive feat and selectable active feat as if you'd done a heroic TR in that class). You do not receive an epic past life.

Note that it is also perfectly possible, and in fact pretty common, to level to 28 as a non-Iconic. Then do an epic TR (which reverts you to 20 and gives an epic past life) and then immediately perform a heroic TR (reverting you to level 1 if going to a normal race or 15 if going to iconic, and giving a heroic past life).

Also, it's good to be aware that if you're purchasing the reincarnation hearts with in-game resources (tokens or commendations), it is much, much cheaper and easier to do a heroic TR than an iconic TR or epic TR. So that's something to bear in mind if you're thinking about doing nothing but iconic TRs to get 2 past lives at once.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizard_Zero View Post
    One day I just wrote "Why Do I Die So Much?" in party chat, and that is how I learned about fortification.