Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Quote Originally Posted by HungarianRhapsody View Post
    1) Updated character names don't include the Surname since Surname is not used as a unique identifier in DDO (i.e. you can't make Hungarianrhaposdy Smith and Hungarianrhapsody Jones on the same server).
    Sorry I meant Surname as in "of Server" rather than actual player made Surname {many characters in DDO don't even have one!}

Quote Originally Posted by HungarianRhapsody View Post
    2) The last time Turbine combined servers, they did exactly what the person you quoted (and disagreed with) stated. It's unreasonable to expect that they would do something different this time around.
    And I feel it's unreasonable to expect Turbine to do exactly the same as they did 6 years ago!

Quote Originally Posted by FranOhmsford View Post
    If the Updated Character name includes Surname why do you think Turbine would need to change player's character names at all?

Khyber-Cannith as my example {name works quite well too}.

Franohmsford of Cannith
    Franohmsford of Khyber {I don't actually have a Franohmsford on Khyber atm but you get my point?}

Just add "of Server" to every Character name and you don't have to rename a SINGLE Character!
    You can even do this for Guilds though Judges of Sarlona of Sarlona does sound a bit strange.

Or even better - Use a Player's Log-In name which should already be Unique as that Player's ID no matter which character he's on!

P.S.
    Sarlona-Argonnessen
    &
    Wayfinder-Ghallanda
    roll off the tongue much better than if you turned them around.

Orien-Thelanis or Thelanis-Orien - The difference is minimal to me.
    I can't tell you how much I would hate having the server thing added to my name and using anything but a first name adds a huge pain in the rear to mail and tells

The ANTI-Realms FANBOI NUKE THE REALMS ITS THE ONLY REAL WAY TO BE SURE

Quote Originally Posted by Uska View Post
    I can't tell you how much I would hate having the server thing added to my name and using anything but a first name adds a huge pain in the rear to mail and tells
    19,360 Posts!

Pretty sure you're not gonna be deterred by having to type "Whatsername of server" to send a tell.

And We've been having this argument as long as I've been on the forums Uska - It's pretty obvious that there's absolutely nothing anyone could say to get you to say yes to a Server Merge so I'm not gonna bother.

I'm for a Merge
    You're against it.

Let's leave it to Turbine to decide {eventually!}

19,360 Posts!

Pretty sure you're not gonna be deterred by having to type "Whatsername of server" to send a tell.

And We've been having this argument as long as I've been on the forums Uska - It's pretty obvious that there's absolutely nothing anyone could say to get you to say yes to a Server Merge so I'm not gonna bother.

I'm for a Merge
    You're against it.

Let's leave it to Turbine to decide {eventually!}

Never said I am against a merger just your horrible ideas regarding names

So I have 19k posts not the highest count around but then I have been here more than 8 years and still have half the posts that I did in SWG in less time I see stuff that I like or that annoys me and I will post

The ANTI-Realms FANBOI NUKE THE REALMS ITS THE ONLY REAL WAY TO BE SURE

Sorry I meant Surname as in "of Server" rather than actual player made Surname {many characters in DDO don't even have one!}
    You mean letting Turbine do this? Because it seems to me the character limit on a first name would only allow you to use very very short names if you are going to add "of server" to each. Maybe Tom, Bob, and Joe?

Really isn't the limit about 12 letters or something? And making CAPS doesn't stick, so it looks funny if you try to use that to make your name look right. In character creation you could name him DonTheGreat, but he will simply appear as DONTHEGREAT in game. Hmmm, is that Dont He Great?

2014 DDO Players Council Flavilandile's Avatar

P.S.
    Sarlona-Argonnessen
    &
    Wayfinder-Ghallanda
    roll off the tongue much better than if you turned them around.

Orien-Thelanis or Thelanis-Orien - The difference is minimal to me.
    This is how it was done when we merged servers in Europe... appending the old server name to the character name. We still have some characters that run around with -Aureon, -Onatar, -Boldrei, ...

Now since I'm in that thread :

No to merging, for the simple reason that DDO has enough load problems as things are ( widespread lag, area specific lag ) and all the servers except maybe Wayfinder have more than enough population. ( especially when you compare it to what the population was in Europe during the last year. )

The problem is that there's some specific mechanisms that are just killers when it comes to grouping and PUGs. People prefer Guild/Private Channels to build groups instead of LFMs because of those mechanisms.
    On G-Land : Flavilandile, Blacklock, Yaelle, Millishande, Larilandile, Gildalinde, Tenalafel, and many other...

Quote Originally Posted by Flavilandile View Post
    (...)The problem is that there's some specific mechanisms that are just killers when it comes to grouping and PUGs. People prefer Guild/Private Channels to build groups instead of LFMs because of those mechanisms.
    Streaks; stormstomping thru low level content instead of grooming and advising; Healing game mechanics; Dungeon scaling (solo-friendly); Just to name a few.

I'm sure it's been mentioned in the thread already, but merging the servers won't do jack for the issue at hand. This trend has in effect been coming down the pike for *years* now, and is finally caught up to the where-we-are-at now. It started out small, with certain groups of people only wanting to play amongst themselves while everyone else threw their proverbial hats into the mix, and won some as well as lost some. It was fun, sometimes frustrating, but groups were fairly rampant in varying ranges and quests.

Fast forward to the raised cap to 28, TRing is full-blown (in my case, what drove me off, props to all those peeps who I ran with who could stomach the endless TR train, but when you leave for a period of months and come back and you can meta-game everything like before you left, you know the magic is indeed gone), the BYOH movement went from beyond clerics/fvs trying to get people to be more self-sufficient as a means to lessen their workload as it were to where everyone and their grandmother can keep themselves going (funny how that works, instead of grab 5 and go, it's solo it all, or keep it in channels).. the scene as a whole, with the expanded level ranges, the streak thing *still* being more of a hindrance for random groups than not, makes a server merge a waste of time, imo..

Don't get me wrong, meeting new people and possibly getting a sense of community would be enticing for a little while, but I doubt it would last. The original mergers in a lot of ways killed off that small-town feel that the servers had previously, what with each server practically being described as a scene more than a name.

TL-DR: Nice idea on paper, but the game as a whole is a new animal.. doubt it will make a difference for the purposes intended in the long run. The community aspect is long gone, and it's a dang shame.

Ah well, back to other things once more. Cheers!
    Last edited by Eistander; 03-23-2014 at 01:03 PM. Reason: it makes a smiley with the :DR thinger.. silly thinger..
    Science may be theory, but stupidity is proven.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567