Community Member

Default What should I spend free turbine points on?

I currently have 1,400 free turbine points saved up from questing and stuff on all my characters on all the servers through gaining favor. I'm considering spending them on quest packs. It just seems to me that if I spend them on those it will...

1. Give me more fun storylines to play.

2. Let me gain more favor for even more free turbine points to get even more quest packs.

3. Make it easier to get a character higher level since most of the high level quests seem to be pay-to-play.

This leaves me with just two questions:

1. What quests should I aim to get first?

2. Do quests ever go on sale? I've been looking through the DDO Store sale page on the website and I usually try out all the free samples, but there aren't any quests available. How often will I be able to find one of those on sale?
    Joseph Korczakowski

Community Member moomooprincess's Avatar

Are you a VIP or a premium or a F2P? Reading your OP I am assuming you are NOT a VIP.

Please list what adventure packs you own now.

I would buy adventure packs. Once you buy an adventure pack it is available on ALL servers.

Quests do go on sale but not as frequently as they used to.

Currently, quest sales seem to be 20% off. Back in December, you could have bought some of Menace of the Underdark at 75% off. Maybe it was the whole package.

In the past, Turbine has offered spend 3000 points, get 30% off. Or spend 2500 points, get 25% off, but I have not seen one of those in a long time.

With that many points, I would try to get another 150 or so to BUY Necropolis BUNDLE and Gianthold. At 20% that is 1956 Turbine points.
    Last edited by moomooprincess; 03-18-2014 at 08:59 AM.
    Recipemaker Guild: Top Chef School of Recipes

Event Statistics: Risia, Festivult, Midwinter, Daily Dice, Mimic Hunt

Quest packs are definately a good choice. Bad choices are the "expendable" things like potions/elixirs.

Best packs are going to be different for everyone. I would recommend Delera's first, just because the XP and end rewards are very good. Giant hold is a great choice too.

Community Member

On a related topic, if you ever considered spending $, start by purchasing Menace of the Underdark Standard Edition.
    (As a result I recommend that you don't buy any of the adv.packs included in the package via TP).

To me, MOTU+Gianthold is the minimum content required if you intend to play DDO. And shared bank.

2016 DDO Players Council RD2play's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph_Korczakowski View Post
    I currently have 1,400 free turbine points saved up from questing and stuff on all my characters on all the servers through gaining favor. I'm considering spending them on quest packs. It just seems to me that if I spend them on those it will...

1. Give me more fun storylines to play.

2. Let me gain more favor for even more free turbine points to get even more quest packs.

3. Make it easier to get a character higher level since most of the high level quests seem to be pay-to-play.

2. Do quests ever go on sale? I've been looking through the DDO Store sale page on the website and I usually try out all the free samples, but there aren't any quests available. How often will I be able to find one of those on sale?
    Started F2P myself, went prem after bought the entire game (exept xpacks) with TP first earned then so bought, paid about the same a a one year VIP to unlock/buy everything (buy points when bonus is availeble, and buy packs/races/classes when in discount) adn I am now VIP (perks are worth it to me)

dont buy what you can unlock (drow, Fvs,, 32pts build, and arti, ... fvs and arti takes some effort)

Adventure-Packs >> Classes >> Races >> other stuff (dont like buying consumables but some times theres no choice i.e. epic healing WO mana/ki)

For the packs: To be able to run EPIC at least get Gianthold and Motu Xpack(best to buy this one from the site as it gives xtra's and will make you acount premium), other worth while packs (for TRing mostly) are Delaras tomb (for voice of the master +5%xp) Vale of twiglight (shroud = best nonepic weapons ml12 and lots of utility gear), next I would reccomend Necropolis for the deathblock necklace (only need 3 for this one) and to be able to get the silver flame favor for the SF healing potions (need all 4 for this one, 4 will give you the abbot raid aswell). Lastly tangleroot will give you a deathward clicky. the rest is just filler imo, you might want to pick up 3barrel cove as it will be EPIfied next update and the price might be set higher then so get it before to be safe or wait till after they will come with a discount

Hope this helps RD out

2016 DDO Players Council RD2play's Avatar

One more note! your EARNED TP has a shelf life ! dont know how long but after certain time it will evaporate (this does not apply to bought points, although its probably coded to spend your Earned TP first)

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by RD2play View Post
    One more note! your EARNED TP has a shelf life ! dont know how long but after certain time it will evaporate (this does not apply to bought points, although its probably coded to spend your Earned TP first)
    Really? I started this account in 2012 and I never spent any of my free points, yet they're all still there. Though often in the past I've taken breaks spanning several months between playing the game time to time when I'm bored.
    Joseph Korczakowski

In the green heart of GERMANY - where wilderness means the next village is 3 klicks away.

Source for your claim?
    Erzskalde (Warchanter) / Erzmarschall (melee FvS) / Erzsoldat (waiting for TR-time) / Erzschmied (ranged Artificer)

AOK - From Argonnessen

Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council

That was changed awhile ago.

EDIT:

Update 13 Feburary of 2012
    Last edited by Krelar; 03-18-2014 at 10:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedora1 View Post
    Quest packs are definately a good choice. Bad choices are the "expendable" things like potions/elixirs.
    I agree with this. I also buy up Account Bank space every chance I get, but if you don't have many (or any) alts then that might be a low priority. I very, very seldom buy anything with TP that doesn't apply to my account on all servers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ertay View Post
    While they were at it though, the devs decided to go on an incredible nerfhammer rampage and left nothing in their wake standing...

Community Member

1. Like others, I recommend paying cash for the MOTU expansion if at all possible- it gives you a LOT of good stuff (including, i think, 4 older but very fun packs). After that I recommend getting:

Vale of Twilight: solid xp and 3 raids (although 2 are RARELY run these days), I don't think green steel items will ever not be useful

Gianthold: heroic and epic settings for extra xp. The quests are fun too

Necropolis bundle (all 4 adventure packs..I think you save a bit more TP buying it like this): Lots of quests (favor!), pretty good xp for levels 5-17, but I find a lot of these quests not super fun. I bought this entire bundle for 35% off and I still wonder if it was worth it when I run the quests..
    Reaver's Refuge: Good xp for level 18-20, dragonscale armor (outdated but still halfway decent if you get lucky on your pulls), CHEAP to buy

Whichever pack has Devil's Assault: Cheap, easy way to get tokens to TR

Landlubber bundle (I think includes 3 barrel cove and sentinels of stormreach) - low level xp..probably currently not really worth the TP, but there is lots of talk that 3 barrel cove is becoming epic, so the cost will likely go up sooner, rather than later.

Sands of Menechtarun - lots of quests = favor, pretty fun (except chains of flame), mediocre xp (some good, some bad), has heroic and epic settings. Not run a ton as the loot is outdated

Vault of Night - nice xp, decent favor, fairly popular to run

2. Yes - quests do go on sale, usually 20-25% off. It seems like every other month or so there will be a "20% off all heroic adventure packs" or something to that effect..if you aren't dying to buy a new pack right now I'd recommend waiting for the next sale

3. Packs to avoid (in my opinion) - Threnal, House C challenge pack, Sorrowdusk Isle (ok, this one isn't bad..but definitely get all the ones mentioned above before this one)

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

The best things to spend your TPs on are permanent account options, such as quest packs (see EllisDee37's review thread for guidance as to what's worthwhile), a shared bank (arguably the single most useful upgrade if you play a lot of alts, since it lets them share any BtA gear you acquire), extra char slots, new races & classes (Bladeforged + monk is basically the "I WIN!" combo for melees these days), etc. Although usually my first piece of advice to someone looking to spend some dough on DDO for the first time is to buy the MotU SE which unlocks a ton of stuff (MotU, EDs, druids, 4 Eberron quest packs, etc.); then use the 1,000 TPs you get to unlock Gianthold.

Community Member

For this specific purpose, Catacombs can be a good investment. Plenty of favor for its price in TP, and easy to get full favor. It's one of the very few packs where the all-f2p can turn a net profit in TP without deleting/rerolling or True Reincarnating a single character, even at full price, and even better if gotten at a discount.
    No longer completely f2p as of November 2014. Father of 3 more DDO players so far (I do have more children than that).
    Away from the game most of 2015.

Don't forget:

DEMOCOUPON1

one time per account 5% discount. So make sure you use it when you spend most TP. I used it when I bought 3 packs.

and I would sugest you get

1. Vale of twightlight
    2. Gianthold
    3. MotU