Community Member

Default spell power, spell DCs, and Spell pen?

So. I've decided to start stacking up some PLFs to make a good caster. Or rather, a super caster. I have a hard time understanding some of the mechanics, and was wondering if someone could help clarify.

So, Sorcerer past life feats says it gives "+1 to the spell DCs of evolcation"
    Wizard PLF says "+2 to Spell penetration."

So whats the difference between "spell pen and spell DCs"

Also, when I hit a monster with say, Finger of death or some such spell and it pops up "Immune", is there any way to get a monster to not be immune to certain spells?

Spell power I pretty much understand, but any advice on how to get it as high as possible, or any suggestions for good gear to make it as high as it can get at level.

Any help on these issues would be greatly appreciated!

Community Member

Have you met the wiki? It's my first stop whenever I have any questions about mechanics.

To briefly answer your questions:
    • Your DC is the difficulty check enemies have to roll against to save vs. your attacks. Some spells have no DC and land automatically (e.g., Solid Fog). Direct damage spells (such as Fireball) often (but not always; Polar Ray is an exception) have a save to take half damage. When the save is a Reflex save for half damage, enemies with Evasion making their save will instead take no damage. DCs also apply to your CC (e.g., Web) and instakill (Finger) spells.
    • Additionally, many non-direct-damage spells have a Spell Penetration check. This is the equivalent of AC for spell defense; you roll a d20 and add your Spell Pen bonuses to see if you beat your target's Spell Resistance. Spell Pen typically applies to your CC and instakill spells (Web is an exception; it has no Spell Pen check). This is on top of the DC. So for some spells to land, you must beat the target's Spell Resistance and their save roll. Note that not all monsters have SR, but if you want to run, for example, drow content on the most difficult settings, you will have to invest in Spell Pen to land those spells which require an SR check. Spell tooltips will generally mark if they require a Spell Pen check.
    • There is no way to remove a monster's innate immunities. E.g., you will never do fire damage to a pit fiend; you will never dance a red-named; you will never finger an undead creature. Theoretically, if the immunity is granted by a buff such as FoM or Deathward, you can dispel it; however, with enemy caster levels being inflated, in practise, you will not be able to dispel enemy buffs.
    • For spell power, I am typically lazy. I have two main weapon set for damage spells: Fire + Acid sticks and Ice + Lightning sticks (damage + crit chance). For force or untyped spells (Disintegrate, Blade Barrier), I will also carry an Impulse stick. Caster classes also typically have spell damage enhancements in their trees.
    I Cannith-craft (150 levels in all schools) for free on Thelanis if you provide all needed materials.
    Getting Past Traps without Trap Skills | Musical Musings

Sample monsters with spell resistance:
    demons?, Devils, drow

Notes for raising spell DC:
    The yellow spell DC augments (ML16 for +1 and ML 24 for +2) currently stack with equipment bonuses. So, for example, if you have a +5 necromancy DC item and have a +2 Necromancy DC yellow augment slotted, you'd have a total of +7 to your necromancy DCs.

Spell mastery (stormreavers napkin, etc) doesn't stack with equipment bonuses, so it's really only good for boosting the DC of spells that you don't want to equip a DC stick for.

For heroic leveling, it's very hard to beat the cannith challenge gear. If you can make masterful craftsmanship shards, you can equip +90 spell power cannith challenge gear at level 13. +90 spell power is normally a ~LVL 20 gear mutation, so you get it 7 levels early and don't have to worry much about spellpower gear until you hit 20.

For early epic levels, have found the epic ring of elemental essence to be a good lazy gear slot, but that's probably because I already have one in the bank, and am not interested in clogging up my (already full) TR cache with more caster gear that I won't use next life.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thalone View Post
    Have you met the wiki? It's my first stop whenever I have any questions about mechanics.[/LIST]
    Yeah. Not a new player, just didn't know where else to put this. Also, I usually find the wiki to be lacking and somewhat vague.

So DCs are generally to get through their saves,
    and Spell pen is to get through their spell resistance?

2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by skaught78 View Post
    So DCs are generally to get through their saves,
    and Spell pen is to get through their spell resistance?
    Yes, exactly, you've got it.

You pretty much ALWAYS need to get through their saves.

Spell Resistance & Spell Penetration only matter for certain select mobs with certain select spells.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thalone View Post
    you will never finger an undead creature
    Does this sound very very wrong just to me?

To me a super caster is a shiradi missile spammer, they are way more efficient Sp wise at killing stuff on EE.

Pure dc focused casters are not super casters, they are adequate and playable with effort but might require drinking depending on what you plan to do.

I can't let go of my evocation caster I've put too much effort into him and i will never change him for that sake.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Miow View Post
    To me a super caster is a shiradi missile spammer, they are way more efficient Sp wise at killing stuff on EE.

Pure dc focused casters are not super casters, they are adequate and playable with effort but might require drinking depending on what you plan to do.

I can't let go of my evocation caster I've put too much effort into him and i will never change him for that sake.
    What do you mean "might require drinking"?

Quote Originally Posted by skaught78 View Post
    What do you mean "might require drinking"?
    In higher level quests ~24+ DC casting tends to not be reliable without the full collection of past lives, etc. In addition, DC caster setups tend to be 'bad' at turning SP in HP damage. So if the have to DPS down many monsters, rather than just finger them, they tend to run out of SP quickly, and thus, need to drink potions.

On the other hand, Shiradi casters are all about efficiently turning SP into HP damage, so they don't tend to have this problem.

Community Member

Hi,

An enchantment spec caster with good holds and energy burst works well in higher level content.

It's fairly SP efficient, and the melees in the party love those blue rings and dancing balls.

It's old news to experienced casters, but arcane augmentation items also raise your spell pen.

Thanks.
    Astrican on Khyber

2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by blerkington View Post
    It's old news to experienced casters, but arcane augmentation items also raise your spell pen.
    Note that for most casters, that's not true. It only helps spells on the Wiz/Sorc spell list. So all the caster Clr/FvS/Drd/Brd are out of luck for this as a source of Spell Pen.

Devs: please turn "Arcane Augmentation" into "Spell Augmentation" and make it work on ALL spells!