Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Arzoc View Post
    Ok, if the FvS is critical to the build I can look at farming it up at the end. I do have access to about everything, not VIP but have most, missing a couple of packs around the 8-10 range (Threnal and Restless I think?). I'm first life so it'll take some farming on my part, we'll see how much I enjoy (don't hate) doing it and go from there. Thanks for the quick input both of you

Edit: Oh, and this'll go all the way up if I can, I never really got to play MotU and High Road after I bought them
    The other piece, that I wasn't really thinking about, is that if you're a first life non-VIP, you're not going to be able to open quests on elite. Getting to 2500 favor reasonably soon after maxing heroic XP really relies on playing each quest once through on elite.

It might be better just to forget the favored soul levels for now and take this into epics as an 18/2 wizard/monk (or maybe a 16/2/2 wizard/monk/paladin, although the paladin splash works a lot better on sorcerers). It'll take you a while in epics leveling destinies before you can even open Shiradi. You might want to use that time to also hit 2500 favor, and then just TR into this build.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizard_Zero View Post
    One day I just wrote "Why Do I Die So Much?" in party chat, and that is how I learned about fortification.

Community Member

If you cannot open on elite, I'd suggest doing a life as a paletrapper:

https://www.ddo.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/30-Wizard

EllisDee37 has some great builds.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ancient View Post
    If you cannot open on elite, I'd suggest doing a life as a paletrapper:

https://www.ddo.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/30-Wizard

EllisDee37 has some great builds.
    Yeah after actually looking at my toon, I realized I'm not even the right alignment. I made him so long ago, I think right before MotU, that I have no idea what I was even building him for and I didn't take any rogue levels to start with (not to mention I kinda hate trapping). Since he's got a tome getting through the life pure really shouldn't be an issue and I'll probably run this for life #2. Thanks for the input guys

Edit: Actually, as luck would have it I have a 3rd life monk I had on my old server along with my +20 stone from the enhancement pass, so I'll be rolling this up, woot!
    Last edited by Arzoc; 03-26-2014 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Circumstances changed

Community Member

My PM is sitting at 25 after an 8 month hiatus so I might use that LR and try this build out.
    I am not too happy with how he was performing before.

Appreciate the build.
    Fist and Faith
    Musashi DragonClaw
    Thelanis Warclaws, DragonClaws, MusashiCLAW, Warsclaw
    www.C-L-A-W.org

Community Member

U21 Patch update.

Toss boulder now "fixed" damage and ignores spell power. There isn't a solid alternative, trying to use both tsunami and energy burst eats through the mana fast and would be a better option for a sorc build.

On the good side, it seems turbine did miss something and a wizard will still be king of the boulder toss.

Community Member

Many thanks for the interesting build. I have LR+20ed my L16 Halfling into it - now to go shopping for/crafting appropriate gear!

I lose a feat, but do gain +1 to saves (and another +1 for 1AP), and I kept Hide and Move Silently leveled, so the racial bonuses there will be useful too (Wraith pumps Move Silently even higher, and Invisibility should help with Hiding to an extent).

Community Member

Update: I have switched to using ruin to provide single target burst dps when needed. I still use toss boulder and no one in the game can match an arcane supremacy wiz at tossing boulders.

I have also started twisting in embrace the light to counter light damage.

Community Member

Thumbs up thank you

I just wanted to thank you for sharing your build and video. I have always played a wizard in every game I ever played... Until DDO. Starting as a wizard was miserable, and turned me away from all casters in the game. They couldn't handle being sneezed on, let alone a hit. Probably just newbie skills but still. I recently saw your build and after the video, I thought "I can do that." This build is the most fun I have had in the game thus far. So, just wanted to thank you for sharing your hard work.

Update: I have switched to using ruin to provide single target burst dps when needed. I still use toss boulder and no one in the game can match an arcane supremacy wiz at tossing boulders.

I have also started twisting in embrace the light to counter light damage.
    I want to do a force/fire wizard build, most for heroic and play a little in epics with guild friends. Its is possible to do a pure build and use some desintegration, webs, finger? Or just take the 2 lvl of FVS? I plan to be WF, should i invest in AC, dodge, HP or DR?

Thx

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Doutrinador View Post
    I want to do a force/fire wizard build, most for heroic and play a little in epics with guild friends. Its is possible to do a pure build and use some desintegration, webs, finger? Or just take the 2 lvl of FVS? I plan to be WF, should i invest in AC, dodge, HP or DR?

Thx
    It is possible but it is a different build that plays different ways. If you want to be pure, I would recommend the palemaster build thread.

It is possible but it is a different build that plays different ways. If you want to be pure, I would recommend the palemaster build thread.
    OK, thx for the reply. And with 18 wizard/ 2 FVS, can i survive well in epics?

Thx again

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Doutrinador View Post
    OK, thx for the reply. And with 18 wizard/ 2 FVS, can i survive well in epics?

Thx again
    It is "possible" yes. You don't have the dodge or saves from monk, but those really come into pay on epic elites. There are people who do just fine with pure wizards, so it is certainly possible.

Community Member

Default Farming Epic Dest

I have just farmed the third shiradi life, so I have to start farming 3 lives in arcane sphere (in order o get
    Epic completionist). What is the best destiny for this build? Draconic or magister? What would be the twist?
    Will this build work out of shiradi dest?

Community Member

Could you give me an advice that on which levels should be a good choosing monk and fvs?

Community Member

How about go Half Elf for Paladin Dilly, drop a few points from Eldritch Knight, and grab tier 2 dilly for +4 saves?

Note: this first quoted part is from the Initial Post: "...
    Build Details
    Any Race 16 Wiz/2 Monk/2 FVS
    I actually recommend human, although if you are not sure... Robot is the safe fallback if you wish to not fully commit to undead form.
    ..."
    Wiz v.s. Sorc
    After the intial enhancement pass, it seemed like forum opinion was doom and gloom for the sorcerers. Now it has swung the other way and I have seen many people proclaim that sorcs make the best shiradi pew pew casters. Sorc's are powerful and have many options... but I still like wiz best. Here is why:
    • Arcane supremacy! This is a very underrated ability. It is not as random as it seems. If arcane supremacy is ready to go, then the opening sequnce of 3 chain missiles and magic missile is (3X8)+5 procs = 1-(.93^29) = 87.8% chance for arcane supremacy proc. Once I have arcane supremacy, I switch to destiny level offense: Energy Burst -> Wild Shots -> Toss boulder. With +25% chance to crit, crits happen a lot. With +1 crit multiplier, crits hit hard.
    • Force is more universal than elemental: Force is resisted less often. Most of the shiradi damage comes from the core procs which are force/sonic, and force improves my destiny attacks (wild shots and toss boulder). More force spell power and more force crits means better synergy with shiradi and my epic attack twists.

Wraith v.s. Robot
    Robots are great, but here is why I ended up with a preference for wraith form:

• Defense: Wraith form is 25% incorp as well as ... Passive healing not only keeps me topped off, it also heals when I'm not able to (knocked down, stoned, afk, typing in guild chat...). ...
    • Mana Efficiency: ... A palemaster has a much more efficient heal! ...
    • Focused DPS: ... a non-wraith has to stop and heal while the wraith continues to cast. ...
    • Flexibility: ... or to pick up other iconic past lives because I don't HAVE to be a robot. ...

Why not 4 levels of FVS?
    I like the 4 FVS splash, but I don't think that it is right for this build.
    • Enhancement Points: ... very tight on enhancement points. ...
    • Level 8 spells: ... but there are monsters that are immune to lower level spells ... you have an answer. ...
    • The level 15 feat: ... The force SLAs have a short range and having enlarge lets me use them from a distance. ... it is to grab agro early on so the rest of my party is safe! There are however a few quests where having long range attacks is a game changer.

Rogue instead of monk?
    Absolutely! As I indicated in my opening, the grandmaster stance is not so much a defining part of the build. In a strange way, dropping monk actually frees a feat! (You gained two feats, but spent 3 on stances). The pain is:
    • A significant hit to saves by losing the saves bonus from water stance. Fort and will saves take a second hit because rogue saves are not as good as monk saves for these two. Will saves take a THIRD hit because water stance was also +wisdom.
    • A loss of 8 dodge points (4 from flurry of blows, 4 from water stance)
    • A loss of some movement speed

If you are playing on epic elite, the loss in saves is probably going to hurt. If you play a lot of epic hard... the extra utility from the rogue might be worth the trade. You would have one more feat to spend, I would recommend either mobility (for more dodge) or deflect arrows. If you are human, you could possibly go dodge/mobility/spring attack to recoup some of the lost dodge.
    As always a great write up! I just noticed this build from your signature and read it like the way you both summarize and detail things. You do a great job in spirit of 'tell em what you are going to say, say it, then tell em what you said'...

For some reason I have always be hesitant to go the undead route and generally have avoided true arcanes except for my old WizardX/Rogue2 which I stopped playing back in the day when firewall no longer stacked... Since then among many other builds (I have many characters across 6 accounts) I have really liked some which are arcane-ish like Robot Arties in multiple EDs & more recently a Robot 11Wiz/6Monk/3Rogue-Shuriken-Shiradi...

After really enjoying Shiradi and AoEs in general on a Shuriken build I was thinking of trying a Spell-based-Shiradi on a life to see how I like it compared to a thrower-based-Shiradi.

My main goal is to be able to solo with up to 5 pikers when multiboxing and ideally be able to do traps on my main. When one or more of my 5 daughters join me and take over one or more pikers I want to be able to control aggro and keep them off of my kids so they have fun (some really freak out if one or more mobs get on them). While I sometimes go EE when solo or with the kids we often prefer EH as it is faster and EE scaling is painful with multiple pikers... Guild runs are often EE but frankly there are many talented people with more experience than me that I don't need to be crazy self-sufficient (just reasonably so) when on guild runs so the Rogue option may work out well for my goals...

I like that your build emphasizes being tankish in Shiradi and would allow me to try out undead-self-unhealing but still fall back on Robot-self-repairs. Getting comfortable with undead-self-unhealing will really help for future iconic lives or efforts toward completionists...

The main kicker I need to decide if I am willing to give up trapping on my main which may not be a big deal as I can always run up a piker that has trap skills if I really needed to (or let one of my kids do the traps if they are on).

Since I have a little time I will continue to study Spell-based-Shiradis until I am ready to reincarnate again and plan to reread this thread a few more times after giving it time to peculate...

Thanks again and sorry I missed this build until now but at least I now have it subscribed...

Lastly, I am also curious whether you use Otto's Irresistible Dance (OID) at all and if not, why not?

Another person asked and I assume it is because you don't feel OID is typically needed by your 3CM rotation followed by Energy-Burst/etc but figured it best to get the answer in your own words...
    Last edited by Nodoze; 08-20-2014 at 12:18 PM. Reason: meant OID not Disco Ball...

Ancient,

The more I study your build the more I like it. Some follow-up questions:

1) Someone earlier asked and I am also curious whether you use Otto's Irresistible Dance (OID) at all and if not, why not? I assume it is because you don't feel OID is typically needed even on Orange Named MOBs after your 3 Chain Missile rotation followed by Energy-Burst/etc but figured it best to get the answer in your own words...

2) Have you tried boosting your Evo/Wizard Casting Levels from gear to increase the missiles from Chain Missile (CM)? After studying your build I can see with multiple MOBs how CM can be very effective if you have more Wizard levels (max of 10 at CL 19) than many of the other Shiradi builds are carrying. If I understand your current build correctly you are casting CM at caster level 16 which gives you 8 missiles at CL15 to nearby targets after the initial hit. Have you considered getting 3 pieces of the ML20 Greater Abashi set to get +3 Evo Caster levels? If I understand correctly that should give you 25% more extra missiles in your opening 3 CM salvo (6 more missiles at +2 per CM) because you should get an extra missile at CL17 and an extra at CL19 (the max). Alternatively for much less effort you could get an extra 12.5% (+1 per CM) by getting CL17 via an Infused Chaos Docent or Infused Chaosrobe (could also add +10reflex or will saves & +20 Alchemical SP procs if you put some elemental damage like Scorching Ray into your sequence). There are lots of options via Spell Augmentation but those were the first that came to mind...

On a related note I also thought about swapping 2 wizard levels for FvS levels going 14Wiz/4FvS/2x which with the +3 Evo caster levels from FvS Enhancements makes you +1 Evo CL buy my concern with the overall -2 wizard levels impacting necro and losing level 8 spells and I figured the above may be a better approach...

3) You currently have 11 points in Eldrich Knight (EK) up to the Core2. Have you tried putting 3 more AP into EK for Arcane Barrier for an extra 25% mitigation when you need it most? It automatically kicks in and is ready to go again 70seconds after it wears off so it seems pretty reliable.

Community Member

Default Wiz Monk build

Nice build, I'll have to try it some day.
    Last edited by Cor_Dath'a; 09-17-2014 at 08:21 PM.
    He's dead, Jim.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nodoze View Post
    Ancient,

The more I study your build the more I like it. Some follow-up questions:
    Thank you!

1) Someone earlier asked and I am also curious whether you use Otto's Irresistible Dance (OID) at all and if not, why not? I assume it is because you don't feel OID is typically needed even on Orange Named MOBs after your 3 Chain Missile rotation followed by Energy-Burst/etc but figured it best to get the answer in your own words...
    I don't typically use OID, but it does have great synergy with the build. I just have not hit a situation where I think it would have made a big difference.
    2) Have you tried boosting your Evo/Wizard Casting Levels from gear to increase the missiles from Chain Missile (CM)? After studying your build I can see with multiple MOBs how CM can be very effective if you have more Wizard levels (max of 10 at CL 19) than many of the other Shiradi builds are carrying. If I understand your current build correctly you are casting CM at caster level 16 which gives you 8 missiles at CL15 to nearby targets after the initial hit. Have you considered getting 3 pieces of the ML20 Greater Abashi set to get +3 Evo Caster levels? If I understand correctly that should give you 25% more extra missiles in your opening 3 CM salvo (6 more missiles at +2 per CM) because you should get an extra missile at CL17 and an extra at CL19 (the max). Alternatively for much less effort you could get an extra 12.5% (+1 per CM) by getting CL17 via an Infused Chaos Docent or Infused Chaosrobe (could also add +10reflex or will saves & +20 Alchemical SP procs if you put some elemental damage like Scorching Ray into your sequence). There are lots of options via Spell Augmentation but those were the first that came to mind...
    I have used twilight sometimes, but my impression is that the bigger spell power staves give better results. No math, just feelings. I am toying with a rebuild that would have 17 wiz levels though.

On a related note I also thought about swapping 2 wizard levels for FvS levels going 14Wiz/4FvS/2x which with the +3 Evo caster levels from FvS Enhancements makes you +1 Evo CL buy my concern with the overall -2 wizard levels impacting necro and losing level 8 spells and I figured the above may be a better approach...
    I like having black dragon bolt. I don't use it much, but when I need it... nothing else lower level would work. If you don't do wiz king... it probably would be a very viable choice.
    3) You currently have 11 points in Eldrich Knight (EK) up to the Core2. Have you tried putting 3 more AP into EK for Arcane Barrier for an extra 25% mitigation when you need it most? It automatically kicks in and is ready to go again 70seconds after it wears off so it seems pretty reliable.
    With the new armor pass and evasion being so last update... I'm toying with dropping the monk levels and pouring into EK to go heavy armor. A friend had arcane barrier a while back and spoke very well of it.

Glad to see the replies and looking forward to any udpates. I have been doing a Rogue variant for soloing & being able to get traps/locks on one of my characters and like the build very much and learned much from the write up you did.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast