Default Build Request: Unarmed Damage/solo build

Hi, I recently came back to the game and found that the character I had been building before I quit has become obsolete. I really want to play an unarmed style monk build that can support solo as well as EE content without devolving into a monkcher or zen archery build. Before my break I was looking into something like The Emerald build:

That build had nearly everything I was looking for in a character, solid unarmed damage, high defenses, the ability to be a tank as well as self sufficient healing and raise scrolls. The scrolls can still be obtained from halfelf but the changes to AC, lack of unarmed support for several feats, enhancements, and epic destinies, and a lack of understanding on what makes a good build in the current content makes it difficult for me to adjust that builds playstyle with the current updates.

Mainly what I want is a character whose primary focus is maximizing unarmed combat, while maintaining solid defensive capabilities so as not to be a glass cannon. Most unarmed builds run in mountain stance anyway, so being able to have a decent PRR/AC/dodge spread shouldn't be too much of a stretch. I just was completely unhappy with my characters performance in epic content and basically felt like I was taking up a party slot simply to run behind the archer ranged builds and soak up xp for no real effort. I don't want that. I want to feel like I did leveling, where I could compete against ranged classes for damage and solo consistently. It really seems like past level 20 the ranged and caster class skyrocket in terms of damage output and viability, while a lot of melee builds struggle or are completely based on having the best equipment available. Any build ideas, or suggestions on how to proceed with the TR would be greatly appreciated.

Community Member

Hey, i have an unarmed stunner monk as well its on its 9th epic life now. What u wanna do is put as much points into wisdom as possible to be able to stun literally everything (only GH mystics save sometimes on EE)
    Now u dont wanna gimp ur con and if u have a +5 con tome u might wanna go for epic toughness but put at least 16 and all ur level ups in wisdom. Ur gonna want to have the 2wf line (obviously) and power attack, cleave, maybe great cleave. I multiclassed 2 fighter and 2 pally in there tell me if u wanna know why. first i will talk about a solid unarmed fighter. Unarmed combatants are simply not very effective against red names and undead. this is because they cannot be stunned and undead is immune to sneak attacks. Unarmed monks are trash beaters. u can hit for 200 per fist easily if u get no mercy from ninja spy(+30% damage to helpless) and sense weakness from fury of the wild ED. for +110% damage to stunned + the sneak damage. u also get tomb of jade to stun ellies/undead etc. but it has a 30 sec cooldown unfortunately :C.
    ofc u know u need 17 base dex (including tomes) 13 str and id put rest in con. (while putting at least 16 into wis) Best race IMO is human as far as i know. for the heal amp and 1 extra wis.

ehhh what else is there idk.... lemme know if u have questions... lol

Quote Originally Posted by Amideus View Post
    Mainly what I want is a character whose primary focus is maximizing unarmed combat, while maintaining solid defensive capabilities so as not to be a glass cannon. Most unarmed builds run in mountain stance anyway, so being able to have a decent PRR/AC/dodge spread shouldn't be too much of a stretch.
    A straight up, pure 20, light-side shintao monk will have all of that. I soloed everything up to lvl 28 on EH on my main (Kodraith). Worked great once I discovered the Healing Cocoon + magical training exploit. Splash up to 4 levels of some combination of (2 fighter(feats, haste boost, tactics), 2 pally(huge saves), 2 rogue(staff+UMD)) if you want. Folks have also been experimenting with 2 druid in wolf form with spectacular results, but to me, that's just wrong.

Basically a pure monk is designed to be a highly survivable, self sufficient melee solo toon. I have only +3/+4 tomes and a 34 point build and I'm stunning and killing everything in EH. I spent about 40 astral shards worth of stuff I sniped for EN versions of the gear I wanted on the AH and I am 95% of what a crazy completionist with too many lives has. I went human for the extra feat and the healing amp, but halfing, helf, dorf are also good choices.

Monks also have Rise of the Phoenix which is an AWESOME ability for 100% solo chars. No hireling required. I only ditched it at 28 since I now mostly just do raids and dont need to self rez.

My build is basically +STR until you qualify for OC, then everything into WIS (you should qualify for vorpal strikes and OC if you have the tomes). If you're not goign to qualify for BOTH OC and Vorpal, I'd go all in WIS, and take vorpal. Take "the standard monk feats" + cleave, gcleave, and dodge. I really only have +4 tomes, but I'm buying a +5 for either WIS or STR soon. You either need starting stats of 16 in both and +4 tomes OR 15/16 and +5/+4 tomes to get both OC and vorpal.

You get some choices with this build at lvl 3 and 18 for feats. I took magical training, but you don't really need it if you twist in echoes of power as a ED twist slot. In that case take Past life:monk if you're going to loose improved MA.

I run around in earth stance and hit pretty hard with Thunder forged wraps. I slotted devotion +138 on my trinket, so I heal with just FoL finisher for around 300 and Healing cocoon hits for around 200/tick. AC of around 105 and full dodge/incorp/blurry. PRR around 60. So I don't get hit much outside of EE. EH I mostly dies from stat dmg that hit fast enough to make me uncentered. That was bad.

Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 04.20.02
    DDO Character Planner Home Page
    Level 28 Lawful Good Human Male
    (20 Monk \ 8 Epic) 
    Hit Points: 392
    Spell Points: 0 
    BAB: 15\15\20\25\25
    Fortitude: 16
    Reflex: 16
    Will: 19
                      Starting          Feat/Enhancement
    Abilities        Base Stats          Modified Stats
    (34 Point)       (Level 1)             (Level 28)
    Strength             15                    23
    Dexterity            15                    18
    Constitution         15                    18
    Intelligence          8                    10
    Wisdom               16                    24
    Charisma              8                    10
    Tomes Used
    +4 Tome of Strength used at level 1
    +3 Tome of Dexterity used at level 1
    +3 Tome of Constitution used at level 1
    +1 Tome of Intelligence used at level 1
    +4 Tome of Wisdom used at level 1
    +2 Tome of Charisma used at level 1
    +2 Tome of Intelligence used at level 3
    +5 Tome of Wisdom used at level 20
                      Starting          Feat/Enhancement
                     Base Skills         Modified Skills
    Skills           (Level 1)            (Level 28)
    Balance               4                    30
    Bluff                 0                     8
    Concentration         8                    37
    Diplomacy             0                     8
    Disable Device       n/a                    n/a
    Haggle                0                     8
    Heal                  5                    15
    Hide                  4                    12
    Intimidate            0                     8
    Jump                  8                    37
    Listen                5                    15
    Move Silently         4                    12
    Open Lock             n/a                  n/a
    Perform               n/a                   n/a
    Repair               -1                     8
    Search               -1                     8
    Spellcraft           -1                     8
    Spot                  5                    15
    Swim                  4                    14
    Tumble                8                    35
    Use Magic Device      2                    19
    Level 1 (Monk)
    Feat: (Monk Bonus) Dodge
    Feat: (Past Life) Past Life: Monk
    Feat: (Selected) Power Attack
    Feat: (Human Bonus) Two Weapon Fighting
    Level 2 (Monk)
    Feat: (Monk Bonus) Stunning Fist
    Level 3 (Monk)
    Feat: (Selected) Cleave
    Feat: (Monk Path) Path of Harmonious Balance: Fists of Light
    Level 4 (Monk)
    Ability Raise: STR
    Level 5 (Monk)
    Level 6 (Monk)
    Feat: (Monk Bonus) Deflect Arrows
    Feat: (Selected) Great Cleave
    Level 7 (Monk)
    Level 8 (Monk)
    Level 9 (Monk)
    Feat: (Selected) Improved Two Weapon Fighting
    Level 10 (Monk)
    Level 11 (Monk)
    Level 12 (Monk)
    Feat: (Selected) Improved Critical: Bludgeoning Weapons
    Level 13 (Monk)
    Level 14 (Monk)
    Level 15 (Monk)
    Feat: (Selected) Greater Two Weapon Fighting
    Level 16 (Monk)
    Level 17 (Monk)
    Level 18 (Monk)
    Feat: (Selected) Past Life: Disciple of the Fist
    Level 19 (Monk)
    Level 20 (Monk)
    Ability Raise: WIS
    Level 21 (Epic)
    Feat: (Selected) Epic: Overwhelming Critical
    Level 22 (Epic)
    Level 23 (Epic)
    Level 24 (Epic)
    Feat: (Selected) Epic: Vorpal Strikes
    Level 25 (Epic)
    Level 26 (Epic)
    Feat: (Epic Destiny) Epic Destiny: Perfect Two Weapon Fighting
    Level 27 (Epic)
    Feat: (Selected) Epic: Blinding Speed
    Level 28 (Epic)
    Feat: (Epic Destiny) Epic Destiny: Holy Strike
    I'm a monk. I hit things; it's what I do.