Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

When you figure it out let me know. The amusement has worn off for me.

Main: 18 Artificer, Thelanis

Shame really, it was a good game. I had characters levelled 28, 25 and a few 20 and lot of level 4- 5's helping Guildies get going. All that's gone now.

Good luck all, may you find a better game

End of an era I suppose.

*sadness*

Engineer: The glass is the wrong size.

For those of you who don't read Lamannia release notes...

Lamannia Client Changes

A new version of the Lamannia client is now available! Click here to download the client. (Lamannia Mac client coming soon.) The client has also been updated with a new implementation of Akamai NetSession. Once installed, it is possible to uninstall the NetSession client, and NetSession will not be reinstalled unless necessary to download a new file or new installation. Additionally, the EULA has been corrected to remove language related to peer-to-peer technology, which we are not using in our implementation of the NetSession client.

I don't have a clue what Lamania is, I don't have a clue what that last post meant. All I know is there's something on my PC that I didn't authorise. Which to me is an invasion and an insulting assaultive abuse.

Well, by clicking "I Agree" you did authorize it.

However, on the plus side, what the Lammania post means is that Turbine recognizes that Akamai is a problem, bigger than they expected, and that they have taken steps to fix it. Akamai will be fully removable with a very soon upcoming patch. So all your 28s and 25s and all that don't need to be utterly thrown away. Be patient just a little bit and all will be well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Towrn
    ...when the worst thing that happens when you make a mistake at your job is someone complains on the internet, you probably care a little less!

Well, by clicking "I Agree" you did authorize it.
    I respectfully disagree. Anyone who had the time to read the whole 5 pages of small print would be as blind as a bat by the third page unless they were used to focusing intently on PC screens for illegal purposes.

For example, did anyone read all the pages on their House mortgage, their Bank Details their Car Insurance or even their Pre-Nupt?... I think not ogre old chap!

Otherwise they would have said 'erm.. what's this bit?'....

regards.

Quote Originally Posted by ImanCarrot View Post
    I respectfully disagree. Anyone who had the time to read the whole 5 pages of small print would be as blind as a bat by the third page unless they were used to focusing intently on PC screens for illegal purposes.

For example, did anyone read all the pages on their House mortgage, their Bank Details their Car Insurance or even their Pre-Nupt?... I think not ogre old chap!

Otherwise they would have said 'erm.. what's this bit?'....

regards.
    That's a terrible argument. Yes, I did read all the pages on my mortgage, what idiot would not? Car Insurance, yup, I have no pre-nup, but um.... obviously that's something you'd ought to read. doi.

No difference here. You sign without reading, your mistake.

Anyways, irrelevant now. They're fixing it. Peace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Towrn
    ...when the worst thing that happens when you make a mistake at your job is someone complains on the internet, you probably care a little less!

Peace too, But there is no way you could have read, for example, the whole of the EULA for Windows which you are operating... please tell me no, lol, you would be blind!

Or dead old! even God ain't that old lol.

Community Member

I don't think I've ever known anyone who has a mortgage and didn't read the entire thing. That would be really dumb. Seriously, if you have $200,000 at stake, it is worth your time to read a few pages.
    Yes, that seebs.
    Not having fun anymore? Learn to play, noob!

I'm really glad to see that when enough people complain about something that is blatanly obvious, eventually steps are taken to correct it. Thank you
    OkarisRage, artificer master crafter
    Caldrick, mabar cleric - soon to become a mabar paladin
    Noellal, spellsinger loremistress
    Comprehensive list of cormyrean attributes

2014 DDO Players Council Flavilandile's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Greantun View Post
    Good to know... That might make me update Lammania Client to test that.

I don't have a clue what Lamania is, I don't have a clue what that last post meant. All I know is there's something on my PC that I didn't authorise. Which to me is an invasion and an insulting assaultive abuse.
    Lammania is the Preview-Beta server... That's the server where the next update to go live is shown to all the players willing to go there. It require it's special installation ( it's just another DDO install dedicated to Lammania ).
    When it's working you can copy ( for free ) your characters from live using the character copy tool. ( https://www.ddo.com/en/character_copy ).
    It allows you to test the system changes ( like the new destiny for Divines that will come in Patch 1 ) and the new quests, and you can give feedback on things seen there.

For example, The Akamai Problem was raised at least a month before Update 21 hit live, because it was seen on Lammania... In that particular instance Turbine decided that the few that raised the issue on Lammania were just crying Wolf and went with it. To the effect we all saw once it went live.
    On G-Land : Flavilandile, Blacklock, Yaelle, Millishande, Larilandile, Gildalinde, Tenalafel, and many other...

Blogger and Hatchery Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council
    Texas - the most "MURICA!" part of 'murica! rawr

i have updated the lammania client on my computer, and i can verify that Akamai NO LONGER INSTALLS ITSELF after the initial update.

(also, the new shadow effect on the thunder weapons doesn't look half bad now. XD)

the official home of LOLWUT

LONG LIVE R.O.G.U.E ! Pay2Win AND PROUD
    Q: how do you get me to instantly appear in a thread? A: ask a bard question!

2015 DDO Players Council

For example, did anyone read all the pages on their House mortgage absolutely. that was $100,000 on the line and 30 years of our life tied up there, their Bank Details of course. i don't want surprise fees hitting me because i neglected to read what i was agreeing to their Car Insurance absolutely or even their Pre-Nupt don't have one?... I think not ogre old chap! i think so, because i'll add car lease/loan/ contract, credit card agreements, medical privacy agreements (HIPAA), cell phone contracts, any form of rental agreement (car, equipment, video), and even job application/agreements

Otherwise they would have said 'erm.. what's this bit?'.... they DID.... hence this thread (and literally dozens like it).

regards.

um.. what?

i would say i'm sorry to see you go, but.. umm.....

fare thee well

2015 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Greantun View Post
    Lamannia Client Changes

A new version of the Lamannia client is now available! Click here to download the client. (Lamannia Mac client coming soon.) The client has also been updated with a new implementation of Akamai NetSession. Once installed, it is possible to uninstall the NetSession client, and NetSession will not be reinstalled unless necessary to download a new file or new installation. Additionally, the EULA has been corrected to remove language related to peer-to-peer technology, which we are not using in our implementation of the NetSession client.
    See, I'm having a problem with that right there...

2015 DDO Players Council

ok, basically, when the patch goes live, it will load akamai one more time, as it still thinks it needs to because the client hasn't changed at your end yet. you'll see the updated EULA which will no longer have P2P wording in it. accept that, let it install, turn around and uninstall it (note, you can even do this while the patch is running), run your favorite registry cleaner (i like Eusing Free Registry Cleaner), and when the patch is done, it will never ask to install Akamai again... unless you manage to bork a file somehow and it has to download just one file. and it will work just like pando used to. (reminder, check your system and remove pando if you havn't already. it's what USED to be used to install DDO.)

problem solved. finally.

I never used Pando either (I still have the original full installer with .bin files).

I'll just stick to a 3rd party launcher then.

2014 DDO Players Council Flavilandile's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ravoc-DDO View Post
    See, I'm having a problem with that right there...
    You had a problem with Pando ? If not Akamai Netsession will be exactly like Pando was :
    A download tool to install the game. Once it has installed the game it can be removed, and you can still play the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravoc-DDO View Post
    I never used Pando either (I still have the original full installer with .bin files).

I'll just stick to a 3rd party launcher then.
    Same for me... and after updating Lammania I can tell that it does launch the game without Akamai running. I have the directory where Akamai instals itself set to : Cannot Read, Write or Execute ( in *nix parlance it's d--------- Try to do something with that ) [ the update was performed through PyLOTRO though ]

I might go back to the normal launcher ( but I'll keep PyLOTRO and DDO-ML around to tinker with them and learn about coding on PC in a language that is not assembler ) once it goes live... But that's because I'm lazy.
    On G-Land : Flavilandile, Blacklock, Yaelle, Millishande, Larilandile, Gildalinde, Tenalafel, and many other...

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    We have been investigating our options, and have found a solution which we hope will alleviate your concerns. In a future update, we will be altering the Akamai NetSession client to only install if the DDO launcher detects that it is necessary (for example, if you accidentally deleted a required file, or if you are installing new.) Additionally, we will use a more specific EULA that provides further detail about what the program is, and more clearly matches our actual usage of the product.

Once you install the DDO client, it will be possible to uninstall Akamai NetSession from your computer, and NetSession will not reinstall upon subsequent launch of the DDO client unless it is necessary to deliver a deleted file or a fresh installation. Typical game updates will not require the use of Akamai NetSession.

As always, we appreciate your support, and thank you for playing DDO!
    This is good news. I appreciate Turbine acting on this. It may not be a perfect solution for some, but it addresses the things I was most concerned with. Thanks Cordovan.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedora1 View Post
    This is good news. I appreciate Turbine acting on this. It may not be a perfect solution for some, but it addresses the things I was most concerned with. Thanks Cordovan.
    I think I'm gonna do my patching with DDO-ML from now on (just because I don't trust NS to not try and install itself, although I get that it probably won't without at least trying to get me to sign a EULA fist). But once they push a client that doesn't have to force install NS, I'll use that for normal startup.
    The locus of my identity is totally exterior to me.
    "On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer." - Satoru Iwata

DDO Character Planner (Version 04.25.03) (Preview Screenshot) - Now with Warlocky goodness!
    Let's Play DDO!! - My attempt to video document a FULL runthrough of DDO, completionist style (Currently working through level 3 quests)

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast