Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Akamai NetSession and DDO

Hello! We recently enabled a non-peer-to-peer version of the Akamai NetSession client for the DDO launcher, and wanted to update you on our plans to utilize this service in the future.

The Akamai NetSession client allows us to quickly and reliably deliver fresh DDO client installations to you, and assist in the repair of missing or corrupted files in current game installations. The client utilizes Akamai’s large network of edge servers to deliver this content from a location which is deemed geographically closest to you, and ensures that we are able to efficiently and effectively get you what you need to play DDO.

Although some versions of the Akamai NetSession client used by other software providers utilize Peer-to-Peer technology, we have decided not to use P2P as it relates to DDO. What this means is that Akamai NetSession will NOT use peer-to-peer when delivering DDO-related content even if the P2P NetSession Client is installed. The P2P setting is configured on both the NetSession Client and on the server-end, and both must be configured to enable P2P before P2P traffic is allowed.

When we launched Update 21, the Akamai NetSession client was introduced in part to replace the former Pando-enabled client. Since the launch, we’ve heard from you about your concerns, including:

• The need to accept a required Akamai EULA that contains language in which enablement of peer-to-peer technology is discussed, despite our decision to not utilize this aspect of the client.
    • The requirement that Akamai NetSession be installed on your computer to launch DDO, even if you no longer have an immediate need for the program.
    • That Akamai NetSession reinstalls upon subsequent launch of the DDO client once removed.

We have been investigating our options, and have found a solution which we hope will alleviate your concerns. In a future update, we will be altering the Akamai NetSession client to only install if the DDO launcher detects that it is necessary (for example, if you accidentally deleted a required file, or if you are installing new.) Additionally, we will use a more specific EULA that provides further detail about what the program is, and more clearly matches our actual usage of the product.

Once you install the DDO client, it will be possible to uninstall Akamai NetSession from your computer, and NetSession will not reinstall upon subsequent launch of the DDO client unless it is necessary to deliver a deleted file or a fresh installation. Typical game updates will not require the use of Akamai NetSession.

As always, we appreciate your support, and thank you for playing DDO!
    Have fun, and don't forget to gather for buffs!
    Submit DDO Bugs through: ddobugs.turbine.com
    Follow DDO on: Facebook Twitter Google+ Pinterest
    Join us on Twitch!

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    The P2P setting is configured on both the NetSession Client and on the server-end, and both must be configured to enable P2P before P2P traffic is allowed.
    I did not know that. This statement alone goes a LONG way towards allaying my concerns. The rest of the info is great news as well. Thank you for listening (even to me with my bad attitude!) and for making these adjustments.

edit: I for one am happy to start running the game again with this in place. I'l be happier still when that second half your plan is implemented. Do you have any idea how long that will be?
    Last edited by BOgre; 03-14-2014 at 02:16 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Towrn
    ...when the worst thing that happens when you make a mistake at your job is someone complains on the internet, you probably care a little less!

Thank you, Jerry.
    The newest computer can merely compound, at speed, the oldest problem in the relations between human beings, and in the end the communicator will be confronted with the old problem, of what to say and how to say it. - Edward R. Murrow (1964)

Sounds good to me. Thank you, Cordovan.

I will still look forward to use DDO ML until then, but this is most acceptable. Best answer I was hoping for.

Community Member

Thank you for the good news, Cordovan. It helps to know you guys pay attention to our concerns.
    http://myaccount.turbine.com

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

Blogger and Hatchery Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council
    Texas - the most "MURICA!" part of 'murica! rawr

thank you.

woulda been nice to hear all this sooner, but still nice it was said.

the official home of LOLWUT

LONG LIVE R.O.G.U.E ! Pay2Win AND PROUD
    Q: how do you get me to instantly appear in a thread? A: ask a bard question!

Hero

Thanks. Any rough idea on when your hoping a "future update" might be? Later this year? Or with a upcoming patch?

I realize pinning down an exact time isn't realistic, but it would give a good idea as to how important you deem this change.

Community Member

<...>

In a future update, we will be altering the Akamai NetSession client to only install if the DDO launcher detects that it is necessary (for example, if you accidentally deleted a required file, or if you are installing new.) Additionally, we will use a more specific EULA that provides further detail about what the program is, and more clearly matches our actual usage of the product.

Once you install the DDO client, it will be possible to uninstall Akamai NetSession from your computer, and NetSession will not reinstall upon subsequent launch of the DDO client <...>
    Thank you for listening to the complaints and reacting in a reasonable manner. I'm satisfied enough by the above that I've reinstated my monthly sub (though I'm still using a 3rd party launcher until the new version above goes into effect).

Seriously, thanks for listening.

edit to add : since the response was so speedy that means Turbine didn't lose out on any money from me (my sub didn't run out for another week or so). I hope that higher ups at Turbine will take note of this. Playing fairly and reacting quickly the way you all did rather than dragging your feet and hoping the issue would go away meant your revenue stream didn't take a hit from one customer at least. Well done, IMO.
    Last edited by DDOBobC; 03-14-2014 at 02:26 PM.

Akamai didn't bother me, but this sounds like a good compromise.
    Magical Rings are well... magical. - Gandalf

A truly STUNNING end to a frelling ridiculous drama.

Main: 18 Artificer, Thelanis

Quote Originally Posted by Drwaz99 View Post
    Thanks. Any rough idea on when your hoping a "future update" might be? Later this year? Or with a upcoming patch?

I realize pinning down an exact time isn't realistic, but it would give a good idea as to how important you deem this change.
    I don't want to commit to a "when" until our engineers have completed their work and it's gone through the process, but the short answer is "as soon as we are able to."
    Have fun, and don't forget to gather for buffs!
    Submit DDO Bugs through: ddobugs.turbine.com
    Follow DDO on: Facebook Twitter Google+ Pinterest
    Join us on Twitch!

Now if only this post had been made a month ago on lamannia, you would've avoided most of this complete debacle. Seriously, it's baffling how little foresight you guys seem to have sometimes...
    We want more Monster Manuals.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ovrad View Post
    Now if only this post had been made a month ago on lamannia, you would've avoided most of this complete debacle. Seriously, it's baffling how little foresight you guys seem to have sometimes...
    Truth.
    A failure to plan is a plan for failure.

Community Member

Hello! We recently enabled a non-peer-to-peer version of the Akamai NetSession client for the DDO launcher, and wanted to update you on our plans to utilize this service in the future.

The Akamai NetSession client allows us to quickly and reliably deliver fresh DDO client installations to you, and assist in the repair of missing or corrupted files in current game installations. The client utilizes Akamai’s large network of edge servers to deliver this content from a location which is deemed geographically closest to you, and ensures that we are able to efficiently and effectively get you what you need to play DDO.

Although some versions of the Akamai NetSession client used by other software providers utilize Peer-to-Peer technology, we have decided not to use P2P as it relates to DDO. What this means is that Akamai NetSession will NOT use peer-to-peer when delivering DDO-related content even if the P2P NetSession Client is installed. The P2P setting is configured on both the NetSession Client and on the server-end, and both must be configured to enable P2P before P2P traffic is allowed.

When we launched Update 21, the Akamai NetSession client was introduced in part to replace the former Pando-enabled client. Since the launch, we’ve heard from you about your concerns, including:

• The need to accept a required Akamai EULA that contains language in which enablement of peer-to-peer technology is discussed, despite our decision to not utilize this aspect of the client.
    • The requirement that Akamai NetSession be installed on your computer to launch DDO, even if you no longer have an immediate need for the program.
    • That Akamai NetSession reinstalls upon subsequent launch of the DDO client once removed.

We have been investigating our options, and have found a solution which we hope will alleviate your concerns. In a future update, we will be altering the Akamai NetSession client to only install if the DDO launcher detects that it is necessary (for example, if you accidentally deleted a required file, or if you are installing new.) Additionally, we will use a more specific EULA that provides further detail about what the program is, and more clearly matches our actual usage of the product.

Once you install the DDO client, it will be possible to uninstall Akamai NetSession from your computer, and NetSession will not reinstall upon subsequent launch of the DDO client unless it is necessary to deliver a deleted file or a fresh installation. Typical game updates will not require the use of Akamai NetSession.

As always, we appreciate your support, and thank you for playing DDO!
    One question comes to mind. If Akamai NetSession is uninstalled, will it be a complete uninstall? By complete I mean with no remaining files or registry entries.
    Thelanis - Absolix, Absolyx, Absolax, Absolux

Quote Originally Posted by Ovrad View Post
    Or how little grace or common good manners some people have to say "thank you" when they get what they want.

Thanks Cordovan for the information and changes being made.
    “A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.” ~ Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkTraveler View Post
    Or how little grace or common good manners some people have to say "thank you" when they get what they want.

Thanks Cordovan for the information and changes being made.
    These are the DDO forums. I'd expect nothing less.

Main: 18 Artificer, Thelanis

Quote Originally Posted by illsigore View Post
    One question comes to mind. If Akamai NetSession is uninstalled, will it be a complete uninstall? By complete I mean with no remaining files or registry entries.
    I would be surprised if there are no registry entries at all left, but I put that more on Microsoft and Windows than on Akamai or Turbine. There is a reason computers get "messier" over time with many installs and uninstalls.

There are registry cleaners that claim to take care of things, but my preferred method with Windows has always been backups and fresh OS installs every couple of years.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spirethorn View Post
    I would be surprised if there are no registry entries at all left, but I put that more on Microsoft and Windows than on Akamai or Turbine. There is a reason computers get "messier" over time with many installs and uninstalls.

There are registry cleaners that claim to take care of things, but my preferred method with Windows has always been backups and fresh OS installs every couple of years.

<Ripley>
    I say we take off and FDISK the boot drive from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
    </Ripley>

A habit I picked up many many years ago that's saved me hours of frustration is have one physical drive (or RAID set) which houses the OS and nothing else. Makes reinstalls far less hair-pully, so it's not a big deal to freshen things up (OS-wise) every couple of years, or at mobo change.

Community Member

Default Good, thank you for listening to our concerns, lets hope it gets implemented soon

Thank you for the update on this issue and thank you for listening to our concerns, trying to understand them and finding a way to get forward from there on to adress the things that were most worrying to most of us.

I would also like to say that while a tad repetitive, I think the large portion of valuable feedback from people showing what the program actually does, what alternatives from the Akemai might be used instead, and narrowing down the worst parts of the issue helped get this prioritized.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast