Thread: Thrower Build

Community Member

Default Thrower Build

I have a fair amount of decent throwing weapons saved just because I could never part with them. The good old dwarven thrower, chill shard. various dr breakers, feeding dagger and metalline hammers.

So I saw a rogue almost doubling the kill count of most in our group in EE Demonweb, not as an assassin, but as a dagger thrower. Here I was on my Monkcher (off destiny tho and only 2nd life....excuses excuses) not taking down the top prize.

I wish I had paid more attention to his split and asked more, but we were moving pretty fast paced through them and I was just enjoying the speed.

In any case I now have some questions about a build I previously thought couldn't compete.

1) Throwing Stars or other? Which is the best for a build for damage output? I have seen a couple Shuriken builds out there, but I'm pretty sure this guy didn't have a yellow bar. Can some builds keep up with 10k stars without burst output?

2) Would love to see a few builds, shuriken or other. I have 1 free character slot right now and an inventory full of stuff to throw.

Thanks

Community Member

It'd be nice to know more about that character. I've thought about it a decent amount, and I don't see how any non-Shuriken thrower can keep up with the attack rate of Shuriken Expertise + Advanced Ninja Training + 10k Stars.

The non-Monk throwers can have the benefit of a Rune Arm, and the damage that adds can be significant (about +20 Damage from Glass Cannon for example), but I still don't see how that could keep up. FWIW Shurikens can benefit from some off-hand weapon enchantments too, so it's not like the Rune Arm is a clearly dominant distinguisher. I guess as a Rogue Assassin would give some pretty impressive crits with Throwing Daggers (assuming that applies). It's an interesting angle...getting that 17-20/x3 Crit Range for pretty cheap (only 5 Rogue levels). Shuriken crit enhancements are exhorbitantly expensive. Heaven Forbid Master Thrower from Halfling stacks with Knife Specialization. You'd have to really focus on Doubleshot to get your attack rate up.

Color me intrigued.
    Last edited by rimble; 03-12-2014 at 03:54 PM.

Yes i think DPS wise shuriken are still the best there is out there. But that does not mean you can build a decent thrower with other throwing weapons. You probably have to get sneak attack damage as high as you can get and maybe use a rune arm if you don't have celestia. In that case you will have higher damage but low attack speed where shuriken can reach some insane attack speed with decent damage per hit.

There is a good amount of throwing weapon builds on the forum now all with different focus. From personal experience and fun factor i can of course recommend my pure monk shuricannon. If you want to go the rogue road with disabling traps etc. you are probably better off with another build though.
    Shuricannon 2.0 Drow 20 Monk Thrower for DPS, Nethercannon Shadar-Kai 15 Pal/3 Monk/2 Rog Thrower for Past Lifes
    Shiradi Shuricannon Drow 20 Monk Thrower for Defense, Shiradi Warcannon Warforged 11 Wiz/6 Monk/3 Rog Thrower...Throwers for the win

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RumbIe View Post
    So I saw a rogue almost doubling the kill count of most in our group in EE Demonweb, not as an assassin, but as a dagger thrower.
    Kill-stealing != max DPS That being said...

The two main problems with thrower builds are low rate of fire and low base dmg. Shuriken monk builds can improve the former via Shuriken Expertise & 10K Stars; they'll also improve the latter if & when Ninja capstone and/or Master Thrower provide the crit bonuses they're supposed to.

Improving RoF: Quick Draw, Rapid Shot, Whirling Wrist
    Improving dmg per hit: Heavy Draw, doubleshot bonuses like Rapid Fire (Mechanic) or the new AA capstone

Community Member

I agree. Kill stealing does not equal more dps. However I will say that when it is significantly higher than others in the group it raises an eye and gets me interested. I mean at the very least perhaps they have a special feat that allows you to target a mob with the least hp left automatically for the last minute kill. Now that would be cool.

On a serious note though it was more of the flavor aspect that got me interested as I don't have a thrower toon yet. To me flavor is one thing, but it has to be viable and useful in a party apart from minimal dps. Seeing this guy made me think there must be a build or two out there that might not be in the top 5% of uber builds (shiradi sorc, monckcher, jugg, etc), but perhaps one in the next tier which would be OK for me for a flavor build.

On poster above questioned if knife specialization worked with throwing daggers. Anyone know? I'd also throw out there that it would be pretty cool if assassinate worked with throwing knives. A ranged insta kill for rogues. Or maybe it could work like slayer arrows (though i think that also works with throwing)

Don't forget about Cormyr's spellplaged throwing weapons.
    http://ddowiki.com/page/Eveningstar_...en_mechanic.29
    Quote Originally Posted by ForgettableNPC View Post
    Oh in the name of the Dark Six why.

Curse you, Dr. Wily! Only a mind as evil as yours could come up with something like this!

Now go back to making Robot Masters.

Quote Originally Posted by RumbIe View Post
    (...)On poster above questioned if knife specialization worked with throwing daggers. Anyone know? I'd also throw out there that it would be pretty cool if assassinate worked with throwing knives. A ranged insta kill for rogues. Or maybe it could work like slayer arrows (though i think that also works with throwing)
    I tested this on Lamannia and as far as i could tell Knife in the Darkness and Dagger in the back work with throwing daggers. From Knife Specialization - as with all throwing weapons right now - the improved crit range did not work but the improved crit multiplier did. Hopefully this will become fixed soon.

I also had high hopes that the Lethality enhancement would be actually better than a vorpal but in truth it seems it is worse. I could see it instakill mobs below 1000HP but to mobs above 1000HP it did not even add the 100 bonus damage that a vorpal weapon would do but simply had no effect.

The assassin capstone enhancement with 4d6 sneak attack damage seems to work fine so with the epic Improved Sneak Attack feat you could dish out some insane sneak attack damage if you would go pure rogue. Only drawback is the attack speed but with Whirling Wrists, Haste Boost and all the thrower feats and some good amount of Doublestrike from Killer you can have a decent attack speed. Throw in Arbalester from Mechanic, 3d6 Sneak Attack dice from Halfling, Venomed Blades from Assassin and Shadow Dodge from Thief Acrobat along with maximum DEX and you have a solid fun build. You need not even worry about being centered and can wear light armor.
    Since throwing daggers have a better base damage than a shuriken and a better crit range too and with the increased crit multiplier you even do some good amount of regular physical damage.

With that build you would be locked to throwing daggers. I would use Noxious Fang for the lower levels, Greensteel (Radiance II) at level 12 and spelltouched from level 16 on and probably you can even get an Epic Noxious Fang or otherwise use lvl 20 and lvl 24 spelltouched throwing daggers with improved paralyzing on them. In Endgame you can craft yourself some Thunderforged throwers.

As Epic Destiny i would go shiradi for the CC and damage.

It will be not as good as a shuriken thrower but still a nice funbuild.
    Last edited by Firewall; 03-22-2014 at 12:57 PM.
    Shuricannon 2.0 Drow 20 Monk Thrower for DPS, Nethercannon Shadar-Kai 15 Pal/3 Monk/2 Rog Thrower for Past Lifes
    Shiradi Shuricannon Drow 20 Monk Thrower for Defense, Shiradi Warcannon Warforged 11 Wiz/6 Monk/3 Rog Thrower...Throwers for the win

Forgot to mention: If you can get your hands on a Tower of Despair Assassin set you will have a chance to apply a negative level on sneak attacks. That could be a really nice addition though in epics it might be too costly to sacrifice two gearslots for it.