Hybrid View

Community Member

Question Bard template - need help

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the game. I'd like to play as a Spellsinger Bard (I like the supporting CC + heal + buff playstile). I've read some posts discussing builds and endgame content, but I don't understand a lot of stuff people discuss on their builds. So I'd like to ask veteran players to reply with some advice about this playstile in a language that 'newbies' like me can understand. Btw, I've paid VIP status, if it adds something useful to the build. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Melius View Post
    Hi everyone,

I'm new to the game. I'd like to play as a Spellsinger Bard (I like the supporting CC + heal + buff playstile). I've read some posts discussing builds and endgame content, but I don't understand a lot of stuff people discuss on their builds. So I'd like to ask veteran players to reply with some advice about this playstile in a language that 'newbies' like me can understand. Btw, I've paid VIP status, if it adds something useful to the build. Thanks.
    Hi and thanks for posting on the forums! That's a fairly broad topic and I want to say first that the best way to learn is to play. Now, let me think of some pointers.

As a new player your support character will probably be fairly group oriented. It's possible to build a spellsinger with good melee ability if you have the resources (tomes, plat, gear, past lives) but I'd advise not to spread yourself too thin for now. As a consequence I'll give some tips for group play.

1) Don't get aggro. Monsters focus their attacks on the player at the top of their aggro list. You usually get aggro by being the first in the room or damaging the monster. Let others go in first. If you are swinging a weapon, hit a mob that the fighter has already engaged.

2) Shed aggro if you get it. Bring a light shield and block, or use Diplomacy to make the mobs lose their interest in you.

3) Sing, heal and buff. Throw CC.

4) Don't get disheartened if you aren't always vital. Especially at lower levels veterans will burn through content and won't be reliant on you. Most people will ignore your fascinate and just wake the mobs with a cleave. You'll get to shine. Just singing the SP regeneration song will make you a star.

5) Get a cha and a con item. Get an item to boost your positive spell power.

6) Learn about DCs and how to debuff mobs.

7) Read DDOwiki

Not sure if that's the type of stuff you were asking for, but it's my 2cp worth.
    Last edited by stoerm; 03-12-2014 at 05:43 PM.
    Praise the Dark Six and pass the heals to pure melees.
    Full feat tree; Cannith; change; merger; evil; win; minmaxing; FotM; deja vu; Kobolds.
    Dungeons and Dragons Online ~ Nude Song and Gnarled Onions

Quote Originally Posted by Melius View Post
    Hi everyone,

Not sure exactly what you're asking for here, but I'll go with a different angle from the previous answer -

VIP status gives you access to half-orc, half-elf, and warforged races, and druid and monk classes, none of which (in my opinion) are particularly useful for the kind of bard you're describing. It also gives access to most of the quests in the game, which is useful

For a new player, I'd go with human, put as many points as possible into charisma, and at least 6 points into constitution (should give you 18 CHA & 14 CON before adding anything else). Where you put the rest of your points doesn't matter as much - strength will help with killing things (which you will need to be able to do without relying entirely on spells & minions...er, other players, at least at lower levels), dexterity helps with reflex saving throws (not getting killed by traps, lightning bolts, etc.), Intelligence gives more skill points (not a huge priority for this type of character, since bards get a decent number of skill points & humans get extra), and wisdom helps with will saves (avoiding being crowd controlled, mostly). The reason to focus on CHA & CON is because CHA is your casting stat & will determine how many spells you can cast, what level spells you can cast, and how often they're resisted. Con is for hit points and fortitude saves (avoiding instant death effects). And hit points. Hit points are pretty important in this game, no matter what class you are.

The reason to choose human is because they're the only race you can get without buying something extra (like drow) that gets any CHA bonus. There are arguments for going with drow, but there are arguments against that too, so I'll just stick to recommending human Humans get enhancements for skill boost (helps with Use Magic Device - an important skill for bards) and spellpower boost. They also get +1 to 2 different stats (like, say, CHA & CON) and another enhancement that boosts a stat when they use one of their other boosts.

Other than that, hm - skills: perform, Use Magic Device, Heal. Others to consider might be Jump, Tumble, Balance, Haggle & Diplomacy, but definitely want those 1st 3. They help with your spellcasting and general versatility (You might find people disappointed if you can't at least attempt to use Raise Dead scrolls by 7th level). Feats - Spell Focus Enchantment, Spell Penetration, Empower Heal and various other spellcasting feats (don't take spell penetration first, though - it only helps against things with spell resistance, and you won't see much of that before about 9th level). Spells, hm...Cure Light Wounds, Soundburst, Blur, Haste(!!!), Displacement, Greater Heroism, possibly Heroism &/or Good Hope to tide you over till you can get Greater Heroism, Ottos' Resistable Dance, Otto's Sphere of Dancing (AKA "Disco Ball"), Charm Person, Charm Monster (but make sure you have Dismiss Charm on your quickbar or some folks will get annoyed).

OK, I've run on long enough, but hope that gives some insight into basic cc/healer/buffer bard stuff for you, or at least helps you think of more pointed questions

Anyway, good luck, have fun, and welcome to DDO

Community Member

Thanks for the replies. I've created a bard following your advices and based on the forums data.