Community Member

Default What are good cleric spell selections?

Currently on my level 5 human cleric the stats are:
    str-8
    dex-8
    con-14
    int-8
    wis-21
    cha-14
    I decided to drop most str because it distracts me from maintaining the team's health and functioning capabilities. When I do use combat, it's almost always in the form of spells. My current spell selection is:

Level I
    -Cure Light Wounds
    -Night Shield
    -Shield of Faith
    -Nimbus of Light
    -Remove Fear

Level II
    -Cure Moderate Wounds
    -Bull's Strength
    -Lesser Restoration
    -Summon Monster II (I usually use scorpion)

Level III
    -Cure Serious Wounds
    -Aid Mass
    -Prayer

Should I change this up in any way? What do you recommend I add at future levels?
    Last edited by Joseph_Korczakowski; 03-17-2014 at 08:22 AM.
    Joseph Korczakowski

2015 DDO Players Council FuzzyDuck81's Avatar

Sound burst (level 2) has recently been changed so that the stun effect is actual helplessness, which will give the +50% incoming damage debuff - just use it without metamagics to keep it cheap & if you're in a group, have the fighter run ahead then drop it on top of them, fights can end very quickly that way Even solo, use it 1st since if any enemies fail the save it'll mean less other spells needed to finish them off. Make liberal use of the SLAs, and rememberyou can have metamagics always-on for them since it won't increase the SP cost.

Later on, freedom of movement & death ward are pretty much essential, greater command is great for crowd control, divine punishment is arguably one of the best damage over time spells available (it stacks up to 3 times, but is mainly good against bosses, i recommend 2 instances on hotbar, cast it without metas for the 1st 2 then full metas for the 3rd & most powerful tier). Level 6 spell slots are when it becomes trickier, Heal is pretty much mandatory, as is the mighty blade barrier, which will become your bread & butter for dealing with groups of mobs... cometfall is a nice combo crowd control & damage spell too. That should keep you going for a while
    I don't mean to come across as unsympathetic - but I am, so I do.

Community Member

I'd drop Bull's Strength and Lesser Restoration from that line up and replace them with Soundburst (as the previous poster already recommended) and Resist Energy. In the former case, whoever needs a high strength score presumably already uses strength items and the bonus stack; in the latter case that's for when someone either doesn't use resistance ship buffs or has died, though at your caster level the spell is admittedly weak (should be 10 points instead of the maximum 30).

For third level spells I'd drop Prayer for Circle Against Evil. That's mostly useful for the immunity to some enchantment based spells.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyDuck81 View Post
    Sound burst (level 2) has recently been changed so that the stun effect is actual helplessness, which will give the +50% incoming damage debuff - just use it without metamagics to keep it cheap & if you're in a group, have the fighter run ahead then drop it on top of them, fights can end very quickly that way Even solo, use it 1st since if any enemies fail the save it'll mean less other spells needed to finish them off. Make liberal use of the SLAs, and rememberyou can have metamagics always-on for them since it won't increase the SP cost.

Later on, freedom of movement & death ward are pretty much essential, greater command is great for crowd control, divine punishment is arguably one of the best damage over time spells available (it stacks up to 3 times, but is mainly good against bosses, i recommend 2 instances on hotbar, cast it without metas for the 1st 2 then full metas for the 3rd & most powerful tier). Level 6 spell slots are when it becomes trickier, Heal is pretty much mandatory, as is the mighty blade barrier, which will become your bread & butter for dealing with groups of mobs... cometfall is a nice combo crowd control & damage spell too. That should keep you going for a while
    What should I trade in for sound burst? Because I was talking with friends in my guild and they agree that sound burst is a good spell to have.

Also I don't have any metamagic feats yet and I'm not sure what I would pick either.
    The feats I have chosen in the past since I made the character are:
    -mental toughness
    -extra turning
    -improved turning
    -follower of the sovereign host (it made me pick one of these two and I wasn't sure what they did so I chose this one instead of the silver flame randomely because I remember that when I had a paladin in the past it led to a really big heal ability)

Do you think this is a bad selection of feats? I don't even know which ones to get in the future.
    Joseph Korczakowski

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by assimilateur View Post
    I'd drop Bull's Strength and Lesser Restoration from that line up and replace them with Soundburst (as the previous poster already recommended) and Resist Energy. In the former case, whoever needs a high strength score presumably already uses strength items and the bonus stack; in the latter case that's for when someone either doesn't use resistance ship buffs or has died, though at your caster level the spell is admittedly weak (should be 10 points instead of the maximum 30).

For third level spells I'd drop Prayer for Circle Against Evil. That's mostly useful for the immunity to some enchantment based spells.
    That seems to make sense, I think I'l go with that.
    Joseph Korczakowski

If you are planning on playing a caster style cleric I would look into the following feats:
    Maximize
    Empower
    Empower Heal
    Quicken

Those will boost your healing and direct damage (quicken is a must)

Heighten
    Spell Focus (evo or necro)

Those improve DC's (difficulty check of the monster to save against your spell)

Turning works early on but will lose power in the later part of the game. Although the more turns you have the more Healing Aura (tier5 enhancement in Radiant Servant) you can have.

Another great spell is command early in the game.
    Last edited by Atremus; 03-17-2014 at 11:05 AM. Reason: Spelling
    Characters: Celemia / Tukson / Thau (Broken link) / Atremus

“A pessimist is one who feels bad when he feels good for fear he'll feel worse when he feels better.”

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph_Korczakowski View Post
    What should I trade in for sound burst? Because I was talking with friends in my guild and they agree that sound burst is a good spell to have.

Also I don't have any metamagic feats yet and I'm not sure what I would pick either.
    -mental toughness
    -extra turning
    -improved turning
    -follower of the sovereign host (it made me pick one of these two and I wasn't sure what they did so I chose this one instead of the silver flame randomely because I remember that when I had a paladin in the past it led to a really big heal ability)

Do you think this is a bad selection of feats? I don't even know which ones to get in the future.
    You can replace improved turning and extra turning with maximize and quicken (later maximized blade barrier and quickened heal will be your best friends).
    The improved and extra turnings can be acquired from the enhancement trees for as little as 1 action point each and stack three time (3 extra of each for 6 AP) and the feats slots can be used for more important abilities. Plus at the higher levels turning undead becomes less and less likely/more difficult
    (Combat): You are hit by your knockdown.

2014 DDO Players Council

I'd drop Summon Monster for Sound Burst.

Also, Command (1), Hold Person (2), and Searing Light (3) are worth looking at for your level. Also maybe Magic Circle Against Evil (3), and Resist Energy (2).

-mental toughness
    -extra turning
    -improved turning
    I am personally not a big fan of Mental Toughness or Extra Turning, but I know some people like them.

However, Improved Turning is clearly in the running for the worst feat in the game. You should swap it for something more useful as soon as possible.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by SirValentine View Post
    I'd drop Summon Monster for Sound Burst.

Also, Command (1), Hold Person (2), and Searing Light (3) are worth looking at for your level. Also maybe Magic Circle Against Evil (3), and Resist Energy (2).

I am personally not a big fan of Mental Toughness or Extra Turning, but I know some people like them.

However, Improved Turning is clearly in the running for the worst feat in the game. You should swap it for something more useful as soon as possible.
    How do you swap feats? Is there a way to? I don't remember ever doing it before without making a brand new character which would be time consuming.
    Joseph Korczakowski

Community Member moomooprincess's Avatar

Are you a solo player or do you play with others only?

Do you play a battle cleric or a healing cleric when you play with others?

A solo build is obviously a battle cleric.
    A grouping build should be a healing cleric allowing others to do the damage.
    Recipemaker Guild: Top Chef School of Recipes

Event Statistics: Risia, Festivult, Midwinter, Daily Dice, Mimic Hunt

How do you swap feats? Is there a way to? I don't remember ever doing it before without making a brand new character which would be time consuming.
    All players can earn a FREE feat swap from the quest giver in the market. You must answer a series of questions that you learn the answers to inside the quest. This is a zero favor, zero XP quest. You can only do it once.

All feat swapping occurs with FRED the Mind Flayer in House Jorasco. Fred is also the location of the quest, Dead Predators in House Jorasco.

As a person who plays a lot of clerics, I insist on Mental Toughness. No on the extra turning. You can get that from enhancement tree for radiant servant.

Feats I use Mental Toughness, Improved Mental Toughness, Spell Penetration, Greater Spell Penetration, Extend Spell, Quicken Spell, maximize Healing.

I also insist all my clerics be RADIANT SERVANT.

I find that even a healing cleric with radiant servant and using the offensive spells that you are given is an excellent character that can stay alive, and you can solo with it.
    Last edited by moomooprincess; 03-17-2014 at 10:48 AM.

Definitely go with Soundburst, Command, and Hold Person if you plan to be a caster cleric. (And later, Greater Command and Cometfall - you don't need to heal when the mobs are sitting on their behinds in someone's Firewall )

As far as feats, I personally avoid Mental Toughness feats, even on first life Clerics. Would much rather pick feats that increase offensive abilities. But my clerics, caster or melee, always take Radiant Servant (Burst and Aura) - I find the SP-free healing is just too good to pass up, especially soloing (though I've seen convincing arguments that there may be other enhancements that are better choices in end game content)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ertay View Post
    While they were at it though, the devs decided to go on an incredible nerfhammer rampage and left nothing in their wake standing...

Centre of the Universe-ish, winterland version

You can swap Feats by talking to an NPC Mindflayer named Fred in the House Jorasco area. It requries some money and dragonshards - the costs will be fairly low at level 5, but they increase as your level goes up so better to do it early. You can also earn a free feat swap, as mentioned previously - speak to an NPC named Lockania, who is close to the auctioneer in the Marketplace, to get a short quest that involves answering a number of questions.

The details on feat swapping can be found here: http://ddowiki.com/page/Fred
    The details about the free feat swap quest are here: http://ddowiki.com/page/Hall_of_the_Mark
    ---------------------------------------
    * Thelanis - Mercure *
    C.L.A.W. (Council of Law and War)
    ---------------------------------------

2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by moomooprincess View Post
    All players can earn a FREE feat swap from the quest giver in the market. You must answer a series of questions that you learn the answers to inside the quest. This is a zero favor, zero XP quest. You can only do it once.

All feat swapping occurs with FRED the Mind Flayer in House Jorasco. Fred is also the location of the quest, Dead Predators in House Jorasco.
    That is true, but unless he's dead broke, I suggest paying to swap a feat with Fred now. He's only level 5. Feat swaps with Fred are relatively cheap at low levels, but get quite expensive at high levels. He might want to save his free feat swap in case he changes his mind about something again later.

At level 5, you need 1,250 plat, and an Imperfect Siberys Dragon Shard to swap a feat. (Or 15 Astral Shards if you have those lying around.)

Community Member

As a person who plays a lot of clerics, I insist on Mental Toughness. No on the extra turning. You can get that from enhancement tree for radiant servant.

Feats I use Mental Toughness, Improved Mental Toughness, Spell Penetration, Greater Spell Penetration, Extend Spell, Quicken Spell, maximize Healing.

I also insist all my clerics be RADIANT SERVANT.

I find that even a healing cleric with radiant servant and using the offensive spells that you are given is an excellent character that can stay alive, and you can solo with it.
    Okay I did the small quest and got fred to trade in improved turning for spell penetration: evocation since that seems to be what most of the offensive spells are in my spellbook. I'l make sure to gather some more of those dragon shard things and swap extra turning for probably faster casting metamagic feat. I think I'l keep the mental toughness too.
    Joseph Korczakowski

Community Member

All players can earn a FREE feat swap from the quest giver in the market.
    This is correct but whatever you do, don't waste the free feat swap at a low level since at higher levels those become exponentially more expensive. Check out ddowiki.com for details (search for Fred as that's the name of the NPC responsible for this).

EDIT: Just read your above reply, came a bit late with that advice.
    Last edited by assimilateur; 03-17-2014 at 04:34 PM.

Community Member

Here's a list of spells I have loaded and actually use on my CLR 20 with some commentary. I am currently heavily invested in the Divine Disciple tree in necro flavour; if you go Light you will have different SLAs.

• Level 1: Nightshield (blocks magic missiles), Cause Fear (cheap debuff to enemy saves so long as it gets through SR), Obscuring Mist (20% concealment, though I typically only cast it in ToD to help grab aggro for shadow tanking), Divine Favour.
    • Level 2: Soundburst, Resist Energy.
    • Level 3: Magic Circle Against Evil, Prayer (debuffs enemy saves). Cure Serious with metas if Heal is on timer.
    • Level 4: FoM, Enervation (level drain save debuff; also does massive incidental damage on epic monsters by dropping their HP cap), Holy Smite (can blind as a side effect; 50% miss chance), Chaos Hammer (can slow lawful enemies), Order's Wrath (can incapacitate chaotic enemies; great for cheap CC against opponents with SR as it has no SR check). Cure Crit with metas of Heal is on timer. Deathward until you get the mass version later.
    • Level 5: Slay Living, Greater Command, Break Enchantment, True Seeing, Mass Cure Light.
    • Level 6: Heal, Blade Barrier, Harm (emergency heal for undead PMs), Cometfall, Mass Cure Moderate, Necrotic Ray (no SR check, negative energy damage, one negative level to enemy). I swap in Undeath to Death when doing content with undead where my DCs are high enough to matter.
    • Level 7: Symbol of Stunning, Destruction, Mass Protection from Elements, Word of Balance, Resurrection, Mass Cure Serious.
    • Level 8: Sunburst (can blind), Symbol of Death (persistent AoE you can kite enemies around to continually level-drain them; can stack on top of Blade Barrier for extra fun), Mass Deathward, Power Word: Stun, Mass Cure Crit.
    • Level 9: Energy Drain (delevel), True Resurrection, Mass Heal, Implosion.
    • SLAs: Necrotic Bolt, Negative Energy Burst, Mass Inflict Moderate.

Many of the above can be scrolled for the same or almost the same effect (e.g., Mass Protection from Elements, raise spells, Break Enchantment to get rid of enemy AoEs); you'll have to make your own judgement about mana efficiency and your pocketbook (raise scrolls are expensive) and whether you can risk failing a Concentration check while scrolling.
    I Cannith-craft (150 levels in all schools) for free on Thelanis if you provide all needed materials.
    Getting Past Traps without Trap Skills | Musical Musings