Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Angry You have to be kidding me

Quote Originally Posted by kinggartk View Post
    Its no conspiracy...its just business. Akamai gathers non personally identifiable information and statistics on which sites you visit so advertisers can spam you with ads that would be most applicable to you.l
    !. Neither Turbine nor any of their partners are paying ME for the information they are gathering from / about me.

2. Read the last part of my Sig.. Nor does it mean I have to condone it.

I DON'T NEED MORE SPAM!

4. Now that I can't play DDO unless Akamai is running... I WILL NOT BE PLAYING DDO EVERY AGAIN!

5. They have now lost my money, and I am/was VIP since 03-09-2006.
    Please try to remember THIS IS JUST A GAME!! So have FUN, LAUGH, and ENJOY YOURSELVES.
    I try to understand what others mean, NOT just what they say! Failing that I still try to keep an open mind about all things. And YES, everyone has the right to be wrong, ignorant, and just plain stupid, (this includes myself.) BUT that doesn't mean I have to like it.

If the reason is to make ppl quit playing they are doing a great job.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathermune View Post
    It probably does sit there, maybe not even active, just minding it own business using "negligible amounts of bandwidth and system resources" according to the folks at Akamai themselves.

But DDO doesn't know that you don't have any other programs that use it, so just in case, it leaves it open.

My issue, which admittedly has evolved over the past 24 hours, is simply that I want control over what is installed on my machine. I don't want to install Akamai, I can't play DDO because of it.

But what if people have programs that would use Akamai, but they don't have Akamai, and don't know about it. It now starts hacking into their bandwidth when they don't even want it to. It's now causing 'shenanigans' where it isn't wanted.

You know it isn't 'harmless' which is why you're not installing it yourself!

Quote Originally Posted by HAL View Post
    Nope, as I said it IS active. And from someone with more computer experience:
    I defer to people who know more about it than I do.

The main reason of my post was to answer why it stays open.

...and to complain a bit more... :-s

Quote Originally Posted by DrNuegebauer View Post
    But what if people have programs that would use Akamai, but they don't have Akamai, and don't know about it. It now starts hacking into their bandwidth when they don't even want it to. It's now causing 'shenanigans' where it isn't wanted.

You know it isn't 'harmless' which is why you're not installing it yourself!
    I don't know any software is harmless, which is slightly different, you can say that about any software in fact, I don't know windows is harmless, but I have to have windows installed, because it's the only OS I know (inbound linux fan any second...) I have to have DDO installed because I want to play DDO. Do I need Akamai installed?

Turbine already said that they will not use that P2P aspect of Akamai and I take their word on that. I think predictions of Akamai hacking into people's bandwidth is a non-starter. They are a reputable company and have one of the most informative and robust, and honestly quite transparent privacy policies of any company I've seen. It's worth a look.

http://www.akamai.com/html/policies/...statement.html

That said. I still don't want to install it to play DDO. It's weird, I find myself defending Akamai from people I hold the same opinion with... :-)

My reason for continuing to discuss this is that I truly Turbine will respond better to a rational discussion than anything else, and as I have a vested interest in getting an opt-out option, I'm just trying to be civil.
    Last edited by Mathermune; 03-11-2014 at 06:39 PM.
    [/post]

Quote Originally Posted by mutilador View Post
    If the reason is to make ppl quit playing they are doing a great job.
    The worst part are the assurances that we got from Rowan saying it wouldn't go live.

Then it goes live.

Now we're told 'but we told them not to P2P you'

Mmmmmhmmmm.

Default At first nothing happened. Then after a minute or two, nothing continued to happen.

I ran Wireshark on the Akamai client for about 8 hours today. It sent one SSL request and 1 ACKnowledge every minute, consisting of a 20 byte HTTPS header in the SSL and 10 byte data in the ACK. The ACK consisted of a single flag bit and the rest was TCP wrapping. The data was sent to an IP address in the Akamai domain, 96.6.40.4. There was no other data encoded or sent that I saw. The CPU and network usage were below the measurement threshold ie: <0.

I'll run it for a full 24hr and see if the results change. I highly doubt they will.

Personally, I'll take Turbine at their word concerning how the client is configured, and I'll believe Akamai really doesn't care about my web surfing habits.

Cheers
    “A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.” ~ Douglas Adams

Hero, Mo Bro H'ro, & MB Super-H'ro ComicRelief's Avatar

Default Thanks, MM!

Quote Originally Posted by MajMalphunktion View Post
    *snip*
    We have heard you, we are looking at it again.
    Thanks, Maj. I don't know about anyone else, but just knowing you're re-examining things is much appreciated by me.

BTW, just as an FYI, I'm not a big fan of Steam, either (though I know a lot of people are, and that's fine).
    "...At least it tells us they understand our language; they're just not willing to speak to us in it. -Who knew they were French?"

Quote Originally Posted by ComicRelief View Post
    Thanks, Maj. I don't know about anyone else, but just knowing you're re-examining things is much appreciated by me.

BTW, just as an FYI, I'm not a big fan of Steam, either (though I know a lot of people are, and that's fine).
    I was the same way with Steam until I realized it saved ALL of my purchased games and then I could just re-install them all when I moved to a new computer. I'd lost more money in missing CD-Keys than anything else until Steam came along.

I own four copies of Neverwinter Nights II and two CD Keys for it.
    [/post]

[...]
    I am not a big fan of Steam either. Although being able to run any of your purchase software on a new computer without finding the original software keys and disks is nice.

I would rather have something like GOG.com; where every piece of software is DRM free. Most of the software on GOG.com is single user, single computer only. Most of the software nowadays either use Cloud Technology or some sort of Client-Server computing.

With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility

Founder

I don't really care that Turbine has a new installation service. What I don't understand is why they made it required to RUN DDO. I didn't like Pando either, but I could let it install, patch DDO, and then I could uninstall Pando. The only explanation I've seen (something to the effect that if Akamai was kept running it could repair DDO incase you deleted a file) seems very suspect to me. How many players have gone into their DDO program folders and deleted a file? (Program folder, not Document folder.) Why would someone even consider doing such a thing? I can't believe that scenario has happened any significant number of times.

IMO, the only reason to force players to keep Akamai on their computers is because it is used (or will be used in the future) for something other than game updates. Does Turbine have a contract with Akamai to allow them to data mine after some period of allowing DDO players to become used to having the "service" on their computers?

Community Manager

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkTraveler View Post
    I ran Wireshark on the Akamai client for about 8 hours today. It sent one SSL request and 1 ACKnowledge every minute, consisting of a 20 byte HTTPS header in the SSL and 10 byte data in the ACK. The ACK consisted of a single flag bit and the rest was TCP wrapping. The data was sent to an IP address in the Akamai domain, 96.6.40.4. There was no other data encoded or sent that I saw. The CPU and network usage were below the measurement threshold ie: <0.

I'll run it for a full 24hr and see if the results change. I highly doubt they will.

Personally, I'll take Turbine at their word concerning how the client is configured, and I'll believe Akamai really doesn't care about my web surfing habits.

Cheers
    Thanks for reporting your results!
    Have fun, and don't forget to gather for buffs!
    Submit DDO Bugs through: ddobugs.turbine.com
    Follow DDO on: Facebook Twitter Google+ Pinterest
    Join us on Twitch!

Quote Originally Posted by Failedlegend View Post
    Speaking of Steam I have DDO on steam yet it still had me install Akamai now I don't what is bothering people about that program but since the Akamai addition I've be unable to get into DDO it keeps disconnecting (I used to get the once than could log in the second time) any chance that Akamai is interfering with steam?
    Serious question here. Why are you so worried about Akamai, but you trust Steam?

Quote Originally Posted by FestusHood View Post
    Serious question here. Why are you so worried about Akamai, but you trust Steam?
    1) I can run my games offline (not DDO obviously, but others) turn steam off when I don't want to use it, tell steam I don't want it to run on start up and tell it I don't want to have it update automatically.

2) The convenience factor of having one piece of software store, manage and patch most of my collection of games is worth it.

Why can't DDO just use Steam to update without Akamai? All of my other games update on Steam with no problems.
    Last edited by Mathermune; 03-11-2014 at 06:59 PM.
    [/post]

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkTraveler View Post

Cheers
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    Thanks for reporting your results!
    O_o This cannot be! Did you just thank a user posting about his 8h experiences with a program your company installed 24h ago on thousands of computers??? This leads to the assumption that even Turbine doesn't know what this program exactly does.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanhelin View Post
    O_o This cannot be! Did you just thank a user posting about his 8h experiences with a program your company installed 24h ago on thousands of computers??? This leads to the assumption that even Turbine doesn't know what this program exactly does.
    My assumption would be "Thanks for being a calm voice of reason in a sea of internet rage," perhaps?

You can only test so much before the release. Live data helps I would assume.
    [/post]

I don't know any software is harmless, which is slightly different, you can say that about any software in fact, I don't know windows is harmless, but I have to have windows installed, because it's the only OS I know (inbound linux fan any second...) I have to have DDO installed because I want to play DDO. Do I need Akamai installed?
    You should switch to Linux. We have penguins. ^^

(I couldn't resist)
    (Combat): ********** was healed by you for 5,033 points.

Community Member

It is totally outrageous to require that we instal 24/7 tracking software in order to play a game we pay for.
    Wherever you went - here you are.

Hero, Mo Bro H'ro, & MB Super-H'ro ComicRelief's Avatar

Default It's Been Updated

*snip*
    I don't know [that] any software is harmless...
    *snip*
    The editors updated the entry for software. It now reads, "Mostly harmless."
    "...At least it tells us they understand our language; they're just not willing to speak to us in it. -Who knew they were French?"

The editors updated the entry for software. It now reads, "Mostly harmless."
    I know Final Fantasy VIII was harmful to my A-Level grades if nothing else...

Triple Triad is more fun than revision, who knew?
    [/post]

The Mad Multiclasser Failedlegend's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FestusHood View Post
    I didn't say I was worried about it, actually I specifically said I don't know why it bothers people so much...my question was "Does this have any negative effects for people running DDO from Steam, because ever since U21 I have been unable to get past the character selection screen"
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan
    There is little value in getting into an edition debate; as with anything, we create what we believe works best for DDO.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast