Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    795

    Default Looking for suggestions for a fun-to-level druid

    I recently got the full MotU pack since the getting was (and still is) good. I'm now looking to get a druid past life in before I play an artificer, but it's a completely new class to me so I would appreciate some advice.
    I'm not looking for a build that can solo EE quests, I'm not looking for the most twinked-out gear. I'm looking for a pure druid build that can meaningfully contribute to a PUG from Korthos up until epic Gianthold or so and is fun to play on the way.

    "Fun" is, of course, relative, but generally speaking I enjoy ranged combat or spellcasting more than melee for damage. I also like to (yes really!) play healers, and CC holds a certain charm for me.


    I have +3 tomes in all stats to work with and a +5 in dex, I'll get a +4 tome from FoT before I TR (probably Con or Int).
    I'm not sure how EDs carry over from one life to the next, but I'll have maxed out Shiradi by then and have at least leveled up a bit more in one other.


    I guess I could simply wing it. Put max points in Wisdom, tweak the spells according to quest, choose feats that "seem like a good idea"(TM), and hope for the best. I played both wizard and cleric that way, though the former needed some serious respeccing once I got into the 20s. However, I would like it better if I could get some advice on what possibilities there are, and even more importantly on what I should avoid.

    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Community Member Grailhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,774

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sunnie View Post
    I recently got the full MotU pack since the getting was (and still is) good. I'm now looking to get a druid past life in before I play an artificer, but it's a completely new class to me so I would appreciate some advice.
    I'm not looking for a build that can solo EE quests, I'm not looking for the most twinked-out gear. I'm looking for a pure druid build that can meaningfully contribute to a PUG from Korthos up until epic Gianthold or so and is fun to play on the way.

    "Fun" is, of course, relative, but generally speaking I enjoy ranged combat or spellcasting more than melee for damage. I also like to (yes really!) play healers, and CC holds a certain charm for me.


    I have +3 tomes in all stats to work with and a +5 in dex, I'll get a +4 tome from FoT before I TR (probably Con or Int).
    I'm not sure how EDs carry over from one life to the next, but I'll have maxed out Shiradi by then and have at least leveled up a bit more in one other.


    I guess I could simply wing it. Put max points in Wisdom, tweak the spells according to quest, choose feats that "seem like a good idea"(TM), and hope for the best. I played both wizard and cleric that way, though the former needed some serious respeccing once I got into the 20s. However, I would like it better if I could get some advice on what possibilities there are, and even more importantly on what I should avoid.

    Thanks in advance.
    18/2 Drunk (Druid Monk)

    Human or Helf would be my recommendations for race (Wisdom Bonus, Cleric Dilettante on Helf )

    Code:
    STR: 16 I like it this high just to make the lower levels 1-7 quicker and easier  
    DEX: 10
    CON: 14
    INT: 10
    WIS: 18
    CHA: 08
    
    If you don't care about Level 1-7 (7 and 9 is where being a spell caster begins to work well before that its a bit tough) lower your STR as much as you like punting the 16 in CON and the rest in DEX and INT as you like. DEX to boost Reflex, INT for Skill points, could put a bit in CHA as well so you want to work UMD)
    Leveling Order would be either

    Monk 1-2 Druid 1-18
    Code:
    L01: Power Attack (M), Cleave
    L02: Dodge
    L03: Arcane Initiate 
    L06: Empower Spell
    L09: Maximize Spell
    L12: Spell Focus Evocation
    L15: Greater Spell Focus Evocation
    L18: Quicken Spell
    L21: Epic Spell Focus Evocation
    
    If you don't have Arcane Initiate bring Spell Focus up to Level 3 and Greater Spell Focus up to 12
    Other feat to consider Toughness, Mental Toughness, Heighten, Empower Healing, Stunning Fist, Great Cleave (At 6), Stunning Fist, TWF Line (kind of forces you to human and requires a different leveling order but you said you were more interested in a caster type build then a hybrid and probably works better as 17/2/1 Druid/Monk/Fighter)
    or
    Druid 1-18 Monk 1-2
    Code:
    L01: Empower Spell
    L03: Arcane Initiate 
    L06: Maximize Spell
    L09: Spell Focus 
    L12: Greater Spell Focus
    L15: Mental Toughness
    L18: Quicken
    L19: Dodge (M)
    L20: Stunning Fist (M)
    L21: Epic Spell Focus Evocation
    Stay centered and in Water Stance to make up for the lose of the capstone. In Shiradi your nuking will be fine but what you really excel at is CC, you also will make a good healer if you want to really push the healing work in Empower Healing (I would swap Mental Toughness in that case)

  3. #3
    Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    17,667

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sunnie View Post
    "Fun" is, of course, relative, but generally speaking I enjoy ranged combat or spellcasting more than melee for damage. I also like to (yes really!) play healers, and CC holds a certain charm for me.
    Hard to go wrong with a pure caster druid: max WIS, max Heal/Concentration/Spellcraft, typical metamagics, Spell Focuses, etc. Have a look at Michele's Evoker.
    Revisiting the Classics: Axesinger / Dwarven Defender / Drow Ninja / Drow Paladin / Elven Ranger / Monkcher / Sacred Vanguard
    Other build threads: Cleric Domains / Kundarak Brigade / Iconic Builds
    My Build Index: a Motley Menagerie of Original Rapscallions, Pugilists, and Gimps!

  4. #4
    Community Member PNellesen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    2,786

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    Hard to go wrong with a pure caster druid: max WIS, max Heal/Concentration/Spellcraft, typical metamagics, Spell Focuses, etc. Have a look at Michele's Evoker.
    That's almost exactly what I did on my first Druid, and it was (and still is) a lot of fun. Went Helf with Fighter Dilettante, but now that he's at 24 I may change that to maybe Cleric (if you can? Not sure about Dilettante feat swaps).

    Earthquake and Word of Balance are awesome
    Quote Originally Posted by Ertay View Post
    While they were at it though, the devs decided to go on an incredible nerfhammer rampage and left nothing in their wake standing...

  5. #5
    Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    17,667

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PNellesen View Post
    Went Helf with Fighter Dilettante, but now that he's at 24 I may change that to maybe Cleric (if you can? Not sure about Dilettante feat swaps).
    Is cleric just for using Raise Dead scrolls?

    Anyway, you can swap dilly feats as long as your initial stat started at least 13; tomes no longer apply retroactively to the dilly feat pre-req. Given that you're a caster druid, I presume WIS is not an issue.
    Revisiting the Classics: Axesinger / Dwarven Defender / Drow Ninja / Drow Paladin / Elven Ranger / Monkcher / Sacred Vanguard
    Other build threads: Cleric Domains / Kundarak Brigade / Iconic Builds
    My Build Index: a Motley Menagerie of Original Rapscallions, Pugilists, and Gimps!

  6. #6
    Community Member Cardtrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Cannith
    Posts
    2,030

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    Is cleric just for using Raise Dead scrolls?

    Anyway, you can swap dilly feats as long as your initial stat started at least 13; tomes no longer apply retroactively to the dilly feat pre-req. Given that you're a caster druid, I presume WIS is not an issue.
    It would give access to an extra +1 WIS enhancement in the half elf tree . . . awfully expensive to get, though.

    EDIT: Although, so would monk, and that would also give access to better healing amp.
    Last edited by Cardtrick; 03-11-2014 at 03:11 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizard_Zero View Post
    One day I just wrote "Why Do I Die So Much?" in party chat, and that is how I learned about fortification.

  7. #7
    Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    17,667

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardtrick View Post
    It would give access to an extra +1 WIS enhancement in the half elf tree . . . awfully expensive to get, though.

    EDIT: Although, so would monk, and that would also give access to better healing amp.
    Versatile Nature (1), Adaptability WIS (2), Imp Dilettante x2 (4), Imp Recovery human (2), Imp Recovery monk (2), monk WIS (2): so that's +2 WIS +20% heal amp for 13 APs. For 8 more APs you can crank the heal amp to 40%, but that's probably too expensive. I'd probably just add Spell Power Boost for 1 more AP. Fortunately, a pure druid caster doesn't want much from Nature's Warrior, apart from Pos Spellpower and maybe Flight, which means everything else can go into Season's Herald.
    Revisiting the Classics: Axesinger / Dwarven Defender / Drow Ninja / Drow Paladin / Elven Ranger / Monkcher / Sacred Vanguard
    Other build threads: Cleric Domains / Kundarak Brigade / Iconic Builds
    My Build Index: a Motley Menagerie of Original Rapscallions, Pugilists, and Gimps!

  8. #8
    Community Member Cardtrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Cannith
    Posts
    2,030

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    Versatile Nature (1), Adaptability WIS (2), Imp Dilettante x2 (4), Imp Recovery human (2), Imp Recovery monk (2), monk WIS (2): so that's +2 WIS +20% heal amp for 13 APs. For 8 more APs you can crank the heal amp to 40%, but that's probably too expensive. I'd probably just add Spell Power Boost for 1 more AP. Fortunately, a pure druid caster doesn't want much from Nature's Warrior, apart from Pos Spellpower and maybe Flight, which means everything else can go into Season's Herald.
    Yup, that seems like an awesome way to spend the APs on a pure half elf caster druid. When I said it was expensive, I was thinking about cleric dilettante.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizard_Zero View Post
    One day I just wrote "Why Do I Die So Much?" in party chat, and that is how I learned about fortification.

  9. #9
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    795

    Default

    Thanks for the input and suggestions everyone.

    Grailhawk, that does look pretty interesting, only problem is I don't have the Monk class (yet. It is next on my list of stuff to get once I have the TP and it goes on sale). Your post did give me some ideas, though.

    I had skimmed Michele's Evoker build already, but it seemed to focus pretty heavily on the end game at first glance. Looking through it more closely and checking it against Grailhawk's suggestions made me reconsider a bit.


    It seems that the most desireable feats are Mental Toughness and Improved MT, Arcane Initiate (luckily available to me and one I hadn't had in mind), Spell Focus and Greater SF according to preference regarding damage or CC. If I go the damage route I'll definitely want Maximise and Empower as well, if I go CC I'll consider leaving out one of them or at least saving Empower for level 21 unless I see something better then. That fits pretty well with what I would probably have taken if I'd just winged it.


    I don't have access to Half-elves yet, so human seems to be the best option from what I've gathered. I not a huge fan of them aesthetically and the Drow spell resistance has proven hugely useful to me in the past, so I'm a bit torn there.

  10. #10
    Community Member Grailhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,774

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sunnie View Post
    I don't have access to Half-elves yet, so human seems to be the best option from what I've gathered. I not a huge fan of them aesthetically and the Drow spell resistance has proven hugely useful to me in the past, so I'm a bit torn there.
    Would say Drow is a very week choice for a Druid it doesn't add much if anything. That said its not going to ruin the toon if you go drow.

  11. #11
    Community Member PNellesen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    2,786

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    Versatile Nature (1), Adaptability WIS (2), Imp Dilettante x2 (4), Imp Recovery human (2), Imp Recovery monk (2), monk WIS (2): so that's +2 WIS +20% heal amp for 13 APs. For 8 more APs you can crank the heal amp to 40%, but that's probably too expensive. I'd probably just add Spell Power Boost for 1 more AP. Fortunately, a pure druid caster doesn't want much from Nature's Warrior, apart from Pos Spellpower and maybe Flight, which means everything else can go into Season's Herald.
    Yeah, on further consideration Monk is probably a better choice for Dilettante feat on a Max Wis caster Helf Druid, at least in Epic levels (I personally love Fighter dilettante for leveling up though.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ertay View Post
    While they were at it though, the devs decided to go on an incredible nerfhammer rampage and left nothing in their wake standing...

  12. #12
    Community Member susiedupfer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    900

    Default

    I have found I like toons better when I try to do one thing and do it well. So, I would go human pure druid. Build for casting, with metas, mental toughnesses and arcane initiate. Don't waste a feat for raise dead scrolls. By the time you get the scroll out and cast it, the person has been rezzed by a clickie and you are standing there doing nothing with a scroll in your hand.(tried that, regretted it)
    Orien: Zizie, Zeelee, Zeeny, Zeety, Zeleste, Zeeby
    ?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload