Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 150
  1. #81
    Community Member Nestroy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Europe, and proud of it
    Posts
    2,829

    Default

    Please sign here!

    Thank you.

  2. #82
    The Hatchery zwiebelring's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    2,419

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    Which is exactly why they should have communicated with us about the forced inclusion of a program like this. If they thought it was a good idea - they had plenty of time to say so and explain things, but they just stood mute on the matter.

    And if they haven't realized by now that people react badly to this sort of thing...
    Well, when did you consider something not worthy of mentioning at all, because you thought of it as a negligible matter? It could have been prevented, but you cannot blame them for not noticing a potential outrage. Only for ignoring.

    In any way, we got 2 official posts stating in short lines, that peer-to-peer is disabled but no detailed explanation and information about that interface, so this is indeed ignoring the current concerns.
    Characters on Orien:
    Wanzer/ Klingtanz/ Incanta Superior/ Mercantus

  3. #83
    Community Member Grimlock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    475

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Olds-cool View Post
    Okay this is clearly saying the opposite of what Maj posted earlier in this thread:

    Peer to Peer is NOT part of Akamai on Turbine products.
    Period.

    Are we being lied to now?
    ~ Archangels ~
    Grimmlock (Heroic Completionist Life 15); Saulot (Life 3); Leviathian (Life 5); Flogging Molly; Mithriss; TheBoondock Saynts; Bushmils; Humblebeard; Guinnesss.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

  4. #84
    Community Member Garix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    944

    Default Dear Turbine...

    Why is this...ah..software...pinging away quite merrily to the RIPE NCC? (237.212.238.119)
    Leader of Shrodingers Cat Support Group a Husband and Wife guild on Orien.
    Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm. Sir Winston Churchill

  5. #85
    Bwest Fwiends Memnir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    ¿
    Posts
    16,603

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zwiebelring View Post
    Well, when did you consider something not worthy of mentioning at all, because you thought of it as a negligible matter? It could have been prevented, but you cannot blame them for not noticing a potential outrage. Only for ignoring.
    If it's relating to something I know other people are concerned about, and there has been a pattern of like things causing issues in the past, then I make it a point to mention something. Even if I think it's a negligible matter, they don't think the same. And by being open, up front, and by initiating the discussion - I then prevent a potential blow-up over the matter. I then can discuss it on my terms, and I can better manage it's outcome. Turbine has yet to learn this trick.
    53461

  6. #86
    Community Member Olds-cool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    U.S. Eastern Time Zone
    Posts
    172

    Default

    I didn't post that to suggest we're being lied to... but at a minimum the Akamai agreement is pretty clearly showing that they are aggregating information on people using it's technology for whatever purposes and that it can and will be maintained for long (indefinite??) amounts of time.

    Add to that that at least the Wikipedia page (author?) seems to specifically point to the NetSession client as specifically a p2p type of application. I'd like to take Cordovan at his word that there is no p2p in the sessions that DDO is using... but can he take Akamai at theirs?
    Last edited by Olds-cool; 03-10-2014 at 12:28 PM.
    Olds, Proud Member of The Silver Legion on Cannith
    http://www.guildmedieval.com/

  7. #87
    Community Member Fhauvial's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Desert, USA
    Posts
    279

    Default

    Once again, for those interested: http://www.akamai.com/html/solutions/client_faq.html

    You should be able to verify P2P is disabled by following the steps in that FAQ, no less.
    (Combat): ********** was healed by you for 5,033 points.

  8. #88
    Community Member Grimlock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    475

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Olds-cool View Post
    I didn't post that to suggest we're being lied to... but at a minimum the Akamai agreement is pretty clearly showing that they are aggregating information on people using it's technology for whatever purposes and that it can and will be maintained for long (indefinite??) amounts of time.

    Add to that that at least the Wikipedia page (author?) seems to specifically point to the NetSession client as specifically a p2p type of application. I'd like to take Cordovan at her word that there is no p2p in the sessions that DDO is using... but can she take Akamai at theirs?
    Doesn't matter what they say if it is listed in their T&C we are forced to agree with it if we want to play DDO.

    The only other option I see is to pin your Akamai client to your task bar until you get the login screen, then disable the service once you connect and manually disable the service again each time you reboot your PC, or change the settings in services.msc to do this.
    ~ Archangels ~
    Grimmlock (Heroic Completionist Life 15); Saulot (Life 3); Leviathian (Life 5); Flogging Molly; Mithriss; TheBoondock Saynts; Bushmils; Humblebeard; Guinnesss.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

  9. #89
    Blogger and Hatchery Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council
    katz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Texas - the most "MURICA!" part of 'murica! rawr
    Posts
    3,425

    Default

    just FYI... DDO-ML is a great little utility that does exactly what it says on the package... and it's easy to use... and best of all...

    IT COMPLETELY BYPASSES THE LAUNCHER... no more akamai!

    and yes, the patch feature works.

    the official home of LOLWUT

    LONG LIVE R.O.G.U.E ! Pay2Win AND PROUD
    Q: how do you get me to instantly appear in a thread? A: ask a bard question!

  10. #90
    The Hatchery zwiebelring's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    2,419

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    If it's relating to something I know other people are concerned about, and there has been a pattern of like things causing issues in the past, then I make it a point to mention something. Even if I think it's a negligible matter, they don't think the same. And by being open, up front, and by initiating the discussion - I then prevent a potential blow-up over the matter. I then can discuss it on my terms, and I can better manage it's outcome. Turbine has yet to learn this trick.
    But how do they know that this is something people are concerned about or not thinking the same as they do? Now Shorlong posted even Microsoft uses Akamai related software for updates. That is another point why someone delivering a game update might not have been concerned about a related interface at all.

    Whatever the case, I succumb to my German Angst and play console games. Put game into console, press start, play, good times. DDO has just become too complicated before you even can start, I need a break.

    [insert silly Nintendo screen here]
    Last edited by zwiebelring; 03-10-2014 at 12:35 PM.
    Characters on Orien:
    Wanzer/ Klingtanz/ Incanta Superior/ Mercantus

  11. #91
    Community Member Olds-cool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    U.S. Eastern Time Zone
    Posts
    172

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fhauvial View Post
    Once again, for those interested: http://www.akamai.com/html/solutions/client_faq.html

    You should be able to verify P2P is disabled by following the steps in that FAQ, no less.
    And as has been stated and I can confirm, there is no option to pause or disable uploads. I'm using Win7Pro-64 with all current updates. My Preferences tab shows only the ability to clear the download cache and to start/stop the service.
    Olds, Proud Member of The Silver Legion on Cannith
    http://www.guildmedieval.com/

  12. #92
    The Hatchery
    2014 DDO Players Council
    Dandonk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    5,278

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by katz View Post
    just FYI... DDO-ML is a great little utility that does exactly what it says on the package... and it's easy to use... and best of all...

    IT COMPLETELY BYPASSES THE LAUNCHER... no more akamai!

    and yes, the patch feature works.
    Awesome, will have to try this. Thanks!
    It's definitely an N-word.

  13. #93
    Community Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    353

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Olds-cool View Post
    My Preferences tab shows only the ability to clear the download cache and to start/stop the service.
    THis is at least positive news. If I can disable this when I'm not playing DDO I might be able to live with it.

  14. #94
    Community Member Grimlock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    475

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brendael View Post
    THis is at least positive news. If I can disable this when I'm not playing DDO I might be able to live with it.
    You will need to go into the Akamai Control Panel each time you reboot your computer to disable this service.
    ~ Archangels ~
    Grimmlock (Heroic Completionist Life 15); Saulot (Life 3); Leviathian (Life 5); Flogging Molly; Mithriss; TheBoondock Saynts; Bushmils; Humblebeard; Guinnesss.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

  15. #95
    Community Member Panzermeyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Thelanis by way of Salt Lake City
    Posts
    705

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by katz View Post
    just FYI... DDO-ML is a great little utility that does exactly what it says on the package... and it's easy to use... and best of all...

    IT COMPLETELY BYPASSES THE LAUNCHER... no more akamai!

    and yes, the patch feature works.
    So no having previously used, this I can install this today, and get Update 21 with Akamai at all and continue to play DDO?
    Panzermeyer - Huge Terry Brooks Shannara Fan

    Main
    Jelara Shannara - PDK
    Steel Shrine (TR XX - Barb x3, Drd x3, FvS x3, Pal x2, Rgr x1, Rog x2, Sorc x3, Wiz x3 - EtR X - Arc x3, Div x2, Mart x3, Prim x3 - ItR II - PDK x2)
    Alts
    DamsonRhee Shannara - PDK Swashbuckler
    Challenge Farmer
    Eritria Shannara - Human Swashbuckler
    (TR VII - Ftr x3, Sorc x1, Wiz x3 EtR - Prim x1)
    Kirisin Shannara - Sun Elf Shadovar Infiltrator (TR XIV - Barb x1, Bard x1, Clc x3, Fvs x3, Sorc x3, Wiz x3 - EtR V - Mart x2, Div x3 - ItR - MLE x1)


  16. #96
    Community Member Fedora1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    1,934

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Olds-cool View Post
    And as has been stated and I can confirm, there is no option to pause or disable uploads. I'm using Win7Pro-64 with all current updates. My Preferences tab shows only the ability to clear the download cache and to start/stop the service.
    This might actually confirm there is no P2P going on, if all it does is download then there may not be a "disable upload" button.

  17. #97
    Community Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    353

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dandonk View Post
    Awesome, will have to try this. Thanks!
    Are you sure you want to download and use software from an unknown source which makes you store your password (Linked to a credit card service) in plain text? This sounds to me like a security risk in of itself.

  18. #98
    Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council
    Krelar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    3,741

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brendael View Post
    THis is at least positive news. If I can disable this when I'm not playing DDO I might be able to live with it.
    You can stop the service but you'd have to do it ever time you reboot your computer or exit the game.

  19. #99
    Community Member die's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Denver - West Side
    Posts
    1,571

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nestroy View Post
    I guess Turbine and WB will cover for any inconveniences caused by being forced to use this 3rd party product to play your game now, correct? So if I get malware to my computer first time thanks to the Akamai software, I can claim any costs necessary to clean the mess up from Turbine, right? And I can hold Turbine legally liable?

    BR, Nestroy
    Nope if your read the agreement you would see that if you said yes then they are not liable. I hate Turbine even more now. when I log out the akami is still going and there is more tHAN 1 there is 2 and when I try to disable one the other pops up before I can shut it down, CHINA IS INVADING AMERICA THE END IS COMING
    Kahzadoom~Xzr~Irondoom~Doomlord~XvKing DoomHammer~
    Xoriat Born~Doompriest~Doom~DoomTusk~Legion of Doom~Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering.

  20. #100
    Bwest Fwiends Memnir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    ¿
    Posts
    16,603

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zwiebelring View Post
    But how do they know that this is something people are concerned about or not thinking the same as they do?
    Because Pando. Because OfferWall. Because Awesomium. And so forth. There is a precedent here.
    They should have at least had an inkling something like this would happen with Akami, simply from prior blowouts on the forums.

    And with a smidgen of proactive communication, they could have nipped all this fuss and bother in the bud. I'm mostly posting all of this rhetorically. I know Turbine won't communicate with us better - because they never have nor will they ever.


    Pity.
    53461

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload