Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Community Member

Default Switching servers needs to be free due to population decline

Hate to say it. But why not? Switching should be seamless and free and instantaneous if it can be. Might save the declines everyone is talking about.

I know there will have to be some changes in character slots and the way that works, but I doubt there are people with 4 toons on every server and play all those toons. Why shouldn't we be able to go to a populated server if there is space with toons from other servers? Is it that big of a deal to transfer over? If so Turbine can just streamline and automate it. Maybe even charge a small toll in TP for transfer. And if one server is on the slow side they can get rid of it or it can be a place for others to avoid trolls or for static groups and those that want less lag. They could even have promotions server specific to try to migrate players from an overpopulated server to one that is underpopulated with xp bonuses and other bonuses. I am not a tech and have no idea if this is possible.

All I know is the pug scene sucks sometimes.

Maybe hook up a group on a main server and then migrate to one with less population and maybe less lag.
    Last edited by firemedium_jt; 03-08-2014 at 08:44 AM.
    Your lack of healing amp not my problem. Please buy and use your own remove curse pots in combat, so I don't waste mana. Not my job.

Quote Originally Posted by firemedium_jt View Post
    Hate to say it. But why not? Switching should be seamless and free and instantaneous if it can be. Might save the declines everyone is talking about.

I know there will have to be some changes in character slots and the way that works, but I doubt there are people with 4 toons on every server and play all those toons. Why shouldn't we be able to go to a populated server if there is space with toons from other servers? Is it that big of a deal to transfer over? If so Turbine can just streamline and automate it. Maybe even charge a small toll in TP for transfer. And if one server is on the slow side they can get rid of it or it can be a place for others to avoid trolls or for static groups and those that want less lag. They could even have promotions server specific to try to migrate players from an overpopulated server to one that is underpopulated with xp bonuses and other bonuses. I am not a tech and have no idea if this is possible.

Maybe hook up a group on a main server and then migrate to one with less population and maybe less lag.
    If all that was involved was simply taking one line of data and moving it to another folder, yes, it should be free and should be instantaneous. However, it isn't. It is a difficult process involving tons of lines of code. Inventory items, xp, favor, all of these things have to be found and bundled before moving. It has to be done by hand. I have yet to find a game that offers server transfers where it is a free and simple process.
    Shorlong - Pale Master, Cevon - Druid Archer, Gorgnak - Barbarian, Addanc - Bear Tank, Juristash - Shadar Kai Assassin, Treiah - Morninglord Tempest Ranger, Baylfyre - CC Bard, Deimanus - Bladeforged Melee Arti, Daerian - Healing Cleric Morninglord, Krazig - Pally Tank, Veriste - Shadar Kai Death Knight, Xanapheia - TWF FVS, Helainia - Shadar Kai Henshin-Theif

Leader of The Dark Creed

Altho they could offer a limited time X% off...
    Zibok, Zibo, Zibow, Zibah
    Cannith

Community Member

Hi,

I'd say that Turbine doesn't want to give away something for free that they think that can make them some money.

Remember, this is a game where you get charged through the nose for small increases in storage space per character, and for any other changes than the simplest respecs of your characters. When I started playing I was quite shocked by that, now I am mostly numb to it.

I'd say that their process is for character transfer isn't well set-up and likely does involve some manual labour.

I'd say that making it an automated process might be too hard for them, and they are worried about being swamped by frivolous changes from people who can't make up their minds about where to play given that transfers are hard.

Most of all, I'd say they wouldn't want to give the community the power to make some servers wastelands and overload others. Giving the community the ability to do defacto server merges may just be the stuff of nightmares for the people trying to manage DDO.

It's not that I don't agree with you, OP, I'm just saying the reasons above and probably a bunch of others are why it won't be done.

Thanks.
    Astrican on Khyber

if moving to any server you wanted freely was possible, it would be a lot of work for the devs.

a better solution would be to have new players who log on go straight to the lowest populated server, excluding Wayfinder. Wayfinder seems to be a server for players that prefer soloing/shortmanning, a lot of German players and prefer a smaller population. someone mentioned somewhere that Wayfinder population has actually increased over the past year in another thread. this could explain one reason why most other servers are declining during that time.
    Gary Gygax quotes

The essence of a role-playing game is that it is a group, cooperative experience.

There is no winning or losing, but rather the value is in the experience of imagining yourself as a character in whatever genre you are involved in, whether its a fantasy game, the Wild West, secret agents or whatever else. You get to sort of vicariously experience those things.

Role-playing isn't storytelling. If the dungeon master is directing it, its not a game.

When AI approximates Machine Intelligence, than many online and computer run RPGs will move toward actual RPG activity. Nonetheless, that will not replace the experience of "being there" anymore than seeing a theatrical motion picture can replace the stage play.

The secret we should never let the game masters know is that they don't need any rules.

It shouldn't have to be so difficult really, the difficulty would be in them investing some time/money into a better transfer system. As it stands now it is very clunky and doesn't work well.

For example, In the past I transferred from a server I made a character and have since tried to get back to that server and it fails every time. Bugs like need to be addressed, the system overhauled so it is more simplistic and automated on request, and I bet they would see some revenue coming in from this feature.
    ELITE RAIDERS
    Xevlen
    . Jibcutter . Pipehitter . Seanconnery-
    Live Twitch Feed - Youtube Channel - Facebook

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Qhualor View Post
    if moving to any server you wanted freely was possible, it would be a lot of work for the devs.

a better solution would be to have new players who log on go straight to the lowest populated server, excluding Wayfinder. Wayfinder seems to be a server for players that prefer soloing/shortmanning, a lot of German players and prefer a smaller population. someone mentioned somewhere that Wayfinder population has actually increased over the past year in another thread. this could explain one reason why most other servers are declining during that time.
    Horrible idea. Why would you want new players to see a ghost town? You want new players to stay not leave due to lack of LFM.

If Server Transfers were Free then Wayfinder would disintegrate!

However the current cost is too high for many and I could see the Devs making a lot of Profit out of bringing said price down and putting the Transfers on the DDOStore instead of hiding them away.

Suggestions

1) Put Server Transfers on the DDOStore - TP Cost 1,995 {TP can be earned in game so the cost is justified here}
    2) Allow ONE Free Server Transfer Per Account - Most people have mutiple toons so One Transfer isn't going to cause too big an issue.
    3) Allow One EXTRA Free Server Transfer TO Wayfinder for people who've started fresh over there.
    4) Allow us to Transfer OFF Wayfinder for Goodness Sake even if we have to pay for it!
    5) Allow Guild Transfers - TP Cost 4,995 {An Exact Copy of said Guild is created on the New Server along with the Leader's Character - Must be the Guild Leader and the Old Guild remains so long as it has characters in it.}
    6) Allow Astral Shards to be transferred OFF a server along with the character
    Alternatively - Why on Earth are Astral Shards separated by Server in the first place?
    Why can't I buy Astral Shards on Cannith and use them on Sarlona?
    Why do I have to pay out for a complement of Shards on each Server I play on just so I can Post an Auction on the ASAH or Skip Crucible!

Oh and what were you thinking when you decided ONE Shard was a viable reward for the Monster Manual - These should be retro-actively changed to 10 Shards each ASAP!

You want people to use the ASAH - Give them the ability to use it!
    Otherwise it will remain the Exclusive Property of the Whales!

Quote Originally Posted by Fallout_Zero View Post
    Horrible idea. Why would you want new players to see a ghost town? You want new players to stay not leave due to lack of LFM.
    so its better to send new players to the most populated server and let the other servers continue to dwindle? sending new players to the least populated server would help keep the population more stable. it could be Cannith today, tomorrow Khyber, the next day Ghallanda, the next day back to Cannith. it all depends on which one is lowest.
    Gary Gygax quotes

The essence of a role-playing game is that it is a group, cooperative experience.

There is no winning or losing, but rather the value is in the experience of imagining yourself as a character in whatever genre you are involved in, whether its a fantasy game, the Wild West, secret agents or whatever else. You get to sort of vicariously experience those things.

Role-playing isn't storytelling. If the dungeon master is directing it, its not a game.

When AI approximates Machine Intelligence, than many online and computer run RPGs will move toward actual RPG activity. Nonetheless, that will not replace the experience of "being there" anymore than seeing a theatrical motion picture can replace the stage play.

The secret we should never let the game masters know is that they don't need any rules.

Community Member

Rather than talking about server transfers, we should be talking about having one world, one instance. One big server for all.

Sure, I wouldn't mind free character transfers. But if they can't do that (Which is understandable), then they should at least lower the price of character transfers. $24.99 for one character? A bit pricy if you ask me, especially considering that people have more alts now than they did a few years back.
    Here's a riddle for you: What do you call people who play the game for only a day and apparently know everything?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by rayworks View Post
    Rather than talking about server transfers, we should be talking about having one world, one instance. One big server for all.
    I agree. Having a bunch of empty servers doesn't do anyone any good.

One server would help retain new players, revitalize the LFM panel, and keep the game alive for longer.

Quote Originally Posted by DakDeFrosted View Post
    I agree. Having a bunch of empty servers doesn't do anyone any good.

One server would help retain new players, revitalize the LFM panel, and keep the game alive for longer.
    The resources simply aren't there for this. It would be a major investment in time & money. You would need one heck of a server to handle the load of every player in DDO at once.
    (Combat): ********** was healed by you for 5,033 points.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by rayworks View Post
    One LAG to ghostbane them all.
    http://myaccount.turbine.com

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

i think this is a great idea. i have mentioned this many times and i will continue to back it if they do it the right way.

Quote Originally Posted by Shorlong View Post
    If all that was involved was simply taking one line of data and moving it to another folder, yes, it should be free and should be instantaneous. However, it isn't. It is a difficult process involving tons of lines of code. Inventory items, xp, favor, all of these things have to be found and bundled before moving. It has to be done by hand. I have yet to find a game that offers server transfers where it is a free and simple process.
    yes there is a game out right now that does exactly what you say. Rift. you can transfery any toon for free once a week. nothing is lost and you keep everything. it has yet to kill the game so whoever said it would failed. this is working for them quite well. all they ask you to do is clear your mail and auction house then boom your transferred. its that simple game wise. now coding i couldn't tell ya.

I change servers every once in a while to see new blood or if my guild moved to another server. it happens. another thing that makes them different is they allow multiple server parties/raids/pvp. so it pulls from a few without having to leave your server.

Quote Originally Posted by Shorlong View Post
    Runescape. Except you don't need a transfer, you can just log out and log into a different server.

Community Member

To summarize, basically...

-It's extremely high-overhead to Turbine, and they have to justify spending that much hands-on time on one customer.
    -Having it be free would encourage people to jump around more, which increases their overhead.
    -There are two kinds of players: those who like high-pop servers and those who prefer medium-pop servers. But all of the former will flock to one "megaserver" like a moth to a flame, if its free, and the whole point of having distributed servers is to distribute the work load more or less evenly.
    -They DO do things to encourage you to certain servers - do they still do +10% bonus XP on Wayfinder?

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnbeimnech View Post
    Runescape. Except you don't need a transfer, you can just log out and log into a different server.
    Then that's not really game servers, where you have multiple identical but non-overlapping parallel worlds. That's just different login servers...its whole-world instancing, but the character database still has to be centralized on one server. That's something you have to institute when you're first creating your game engine architecture.

Community Member

Server transfer is available and if there is that big of a demand for it, Turbine would be fools to give it away.

No, merge servers or leave servers to die.

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    -They DO do things to encourage you to certain servers - do they still do +10% bonus XP on Wayfinder?

Giving 10% xp to almost dead servers is like a drop in ocean.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast