Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Shadowfell Conspiracy worth purchasing?

I'm considering purchasing the latest expansion, but I'm underwhelmed with how little it offers compared to Menace of the Underdark. Are the quests at least fun and the gear good?
    Quote Originally Posted by DeafeningWhisper View Post
    I agree with the feathered marsupial.

I love the quests, and I love the gear (except for the armor). Also, the two explorer areas can be pretty good xp (and Wheloon Prison seems to have unlimited mobs, so if you're a big slayer grinder, you never have to leave until your slaying session is over.)

And some of the gear is downright excessive. The Elemental Fury shortswords in particular. Love them.

Quests are not bad, slayer area is weird for Wheloon prison. The Storm Horns is really nicely done.
    Mobs are VERY (overly even) challenging. I think one of the sub bosses in WGU is CR72 or 73. yea really.

The loot is great (named & random*).
    Personally I bought the pack for the wondrous items. I have not been disappointed yet in that regard.

*+10 con & 10% dodge on a ring for example. if your lucky enough, you can find +11 stat items, but they are rare. (only pulled one so far.)
    You'll bend to my will - With or without your precious sanity.

Neilus Soul of the Phoenix - Completionist - Orien

Quote Originally Posted by blerkington View Post
    Everyone who is more effective than me is OP, and should be nerfed.
    Everyone who has more stuff than me cheated to get it, and should be punished.
    Everyone who plays differently to me is a bad person, and should be mistreated.

Alright, cool, so even if I'm not getting as much as I'd like it sounds like I'm getting quality. I guess I'll be shelling out some money then.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeafeningWhisper View Post
    I agree with the feathered marsupial.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Quetzacoala View Post
    Alright, cool, so even if I'm not getting as much as I'd like it sounds like I'm getting quality. I guess I'll be shelling out some money then.
    Well, as already stated it comes with 2 adventure areas, and both areas have a heroic and an epic version to them so it's really more like 4 adventure areas although all 4 versions have that horrible 'find the object' style explorer ala High Road or King's Forest instead of the much better old school 'find the area' style, such as is seen in all the older content like Vale of Twilight. In addition, both adventure areas have 5 quests each stretching from level 16 onward.

Plenty of new monster types too....harpies and satyrs and owlbears OH MY! (and others)
    Last edited by digital_terror1; 03-06-2014 at 09:53 AM.

It's worth buying with the caveat that it goes on sale sometimes. But for some reason people don't seem to be running it very much so it's not the first lfm I'll think to throw up and I don't see the lfms as often as I'd like. The gear is good but they give it away so easy, it's probably why people don't bother playing it over and over like some of the classic epics. If you play it solo and take in the story from the quests and (primarily) the explorer messages, it's actually pretty good. Cool graphics in many parts, especially the storm horns and the mountain quests. Very nice ice graphics imo.

Community Member whereispowderedsilve's Avatar

Yeah, absolutely do not buy it at full price or from the in game store for TP. Wait until it goes on sale & then buy it.
    http://dillonpfaff5.wix.com/theob Sign this!!!: http://goo.gl/vS6htg

DDO toll free support phone#: 855-WBGAMES (855-924-2637)

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by whereispowderedsilve View Post
    Yeah, absolutely do not buy it at full price or from the in game store for TP. Wait until it goes on sale & then buy it.
    best pack in the game imo.

Wheloon Prison chain is my favorite (cept for WW, never forget)
    Stormhorns area is probably the best looking and it is good size.
    Stormhorns quests are decent. Breaking the Ice and Trackers Trap are fun and quick (which is more fun). WGU is getting a HUGE boost to XP in the update.

Wheloon? never
    Stormhorns? maybe, too bad there is no guest pass for this yet.

other people gave you the packs positives, and contrairy to my rant below, their points are valid, however there is a downside too.

I pre-ordered this after the "succes"of the underdark, i still regret it.

The wheloon/stormhorns is not a expansion but a double pack and it shows. It feels narrowminded and small. Lot's of emphasis on graphics, not so much on content. The writting seems to ressemble emo fanfic at best. The end rewards are hit and miss, it looks more like random trash loot sometimes.
    The exp was terribly low and is now changed once they noticed people were running von3 more then their newest content (hurting sales?)
    Another big problem was the purple haze and the lag.
    The purple haze made it very hard on people to see things in game
    as for lag...
    Some quests spawn huge amounts of mobs with auto agro, the server can't keep up and lags out quitte a bit.
    Howlers, especialy in large numbers cause debufs that make people lag out too
    Emo clowns weilding chains
    Adding a cloud to beholders (incl eberron ones), the cloud keeps hanging in mid air afteryou kill them, killig the emersion (keep yer stinking emo realms stuff of me Eberron lawn Turbine!)

Only buy on sale after you got some double points on sale as wel! preferbly after getting a guestpass and checking things out for yourself

Get Haunted Halls of Eveningstar first. Then get the latest xpacks too. I think the xp changes will help a lot with filling xpack groups again.

Community Member

Greetings,
    As a player that running Shadowfell very often i can say that this pack worth it!
    BUT, and there is a but.
    Shadowfell pack is a harder pack than GH high road and all those, so beware if u dont like having some fun i dont recommend getting it,
    Loots from there are good even on u21, so i strongly recommend getting this pack if u wanna have more fun in the game.
    Jurgimp.

I would say yes. stormhorns is in my opinon one of the best done quest area's to date with a fair challenge on EE while still offering heroic versions and pretty nice gear that can be looted or as static rewards.

it's good but it's over-priced. If you're porr buy it when it's on sale, otherwise go for it.

when i think of wheloon prison i think of midgar from ff7 you know the slums. so even in that aspect i really love that place. one person didn't like the shadar kai because they are a different type of mob. i love it. the assassins will kill you if you just sit there taking their damage. Now don't me wrong if they could just work on the number of mobs that spawn then things would be better. i would rather see more many type bosses then 50 mobs on you where you get lag. i would rather see more large hp mobs then 50 etc.

that is just my opinion. i love both the prison and stormhorns. they are quite exciting and well done. some people just don't understand some areas can't be all exciting and pretty lol. some need to be sad and depressing like the prison is.

Community Member

I'm considering purchasing the latest expansion, but I'm underwhelmed with how little it offers compared to Menace of the Underdark. Are the quests at least fun and the gear good?
    I think the wilderness areas suck more than any content I've seen in an MMO. For some reason, the hitpoints of the trash mobs have been scaled so high through the roof that you'll spend AGES just chipping away in braindead boredom trying to get some slayer skills. Turbine has fallen into that trap of "How do we keep players around a long time? Ohhh I know, let's make mobs take forever to kill."

What this ends up doing is causing people to leave the game and go play on another MMO that doesn't waste your time and flush your life down the tube. There is no challenge in the wilderness mobs, none of them can kill me, it just bores me to tears the brain bleeding repetition of chipping down their fake epic high amounts of hit points to clock up another kill.

Another factor is the enormous amounts of XP required to get from say 26 to 27 and the expansion pack only providing half the amount of XP given for completing it all once. Lame. Game feels like going to work, not having fun anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarrell View Post
    I think the wilderness areas suck more than any content I've seen in an MMO. For some reason, the hitpoints of the trash mobs have been scaled so high through the roof that you'll spend AGES just chipping away in braindead boredom trying to get some slayer skills. Turbine has fallen into that trap of "How do we keep players around a long time? Ohhh I know, let's make mobs take forever to kill."

What this ends up doing is causing people to leave the game and go play on another MMO that doesn't waste your time and flush your life down the tube. There is no challenge in the wilderness mobs, none of them can kill me, it just bores me to tears the brain bleeding repetition of chipping down their fake epic high amounts of hit points to clock up another kill.

Another factor is the enormous amounts of XP required to get from say 26 to 27 and the expansion pack only providing half the amount of XP given for completing it all once. Lame. Game feels like going to work, not having fun anymore.
    Ha ha is this for real. You are chopping away at wilderness mobs In stormhorns. Dude I swing twice and their dead. Man there are some terrible players out there.

Quote Originally Posted by count_spicoli View Post
    Ha ha is this for real. You are chopping away at wilderness mobs In stormhorns. Dude I swing twice and their dead. Man there are some terrible players out there.
    Good thing, I make tons from my course.

Yes.

Community Member

The expansion is awesome, you won't regret buying it.

Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    it's good but it's over-priced. If you're porr buy it when it's on sale, otherwise go for it.
    Best summation. The choice to buy it will really depend on what other packs you could be buying. If its a choice between buying this and say Gianthold, then buy Gianthold (yes I know the prices aren't comparable). It has good gear and nice quests. But you will definitely learn how to turn off your video post processing when playing quests like WGU, will want a guide to help you get to the Stormhorn quests the first time (they took lessons from the hobbit on how to get to a quest I'm thinking), and it is fairly expensive.
    Kobold never forgive....kobold remember waterworks.

Quote Originally Posted by KookieKobold View Post
    i'll be putting a bug into our system.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast