Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Community Member

Thanks Fedora, that's good info.

I think I was looking at vendor in House D section as opposed to another person? I never saw those items, but maybe I don't have enough favor?

The acid worth a slot? Guess even if I didn't want it later I could dump out of it as I progress.

Quote Originally Posted by slayerkdm View Post
    Thanks Fedora, that's good info.

I think I was looking at vendor in House D section as opposed to another person? I never saw those items, but maybe I don't have enough favor?

The acid worth a slot? Guess even if I didn't want it later I could dump out of it as I progress.
    Once you get Tier 1 favor with House D, a vendor up by the tower becomes available with the stuff I mentioned, except the +3 sturdy arrows and the large thin quiver require tier 2 favor.

I think the acid imbue arrows (or whatever elemental damage type you prefer) only cost 1 point in addition to the core, so 2 points for 1d6 extra damage per arrow. To me that's as good as any other investment if you plan on using ranged at all. Since rangers get STR bonus and rapid shot (and later, Manyshot) even if you just plan on using ranged weaponry to pull mobs I like it. Combined with a good bow it's even better, but unless you specialize and go all-out ranged your melee is always going to be better so it's really a matter of preference I guess.

Community Member

Well, the plucky little Halfling keeps battling on. Level 6, and "many shot" really helps, though I can see I need some type of clicky attack.

I switched into AA to try it out, and though I wanted to like DWS better, so far AA has been more to my liking, a bigger impact at this level anyway it seems. I have for the most part given up melee, not that I think the archery is better, but I rather like the bow. I am thinking about making more a ranged build for the moment.

I did invest up to the last Dragonmark and find it really great for soloing. I cant imagine finishing "Proof is in the Poison" without it. I didn't realize that while you only get a couple early spell slots, the spells are not single cast, so I can see him being pretty self sufficient with a couple more heals.

Yep rangers are fun, one of my favorites. I have two of them in epics right now, one capped at L28 the other just starting his epic journey and hit L21 yesterday.

The sad part about rangers, or rather tempests, is the tier 4-5 enhancements are underwhelming. They need to lengthen the time they run and shorten the cooldown. The top tiers of DWS and AA are nice though. So niether of my rangers are pure, one (the L28) has a splash of L2 fighter and the L21 is 16/2/2 ranger/fighter/rogue. I may redo enhancements and see how it goes using ranged combat as primary instead of secondary.

If you haven't already taken it, grab empower healing for your next feat. That will significantly boost your DM heals for free, and will really help your cure spells (especially when you get CSW).

2015 DDO Players Council MangLord's Avatar

Back when the cap was 25, my first character to reach that mark was a halfling ranger/rogue arcane archer. I didn't have much trouble getting from 1-20, and he was surprisingly good at soloing EH content in shiradi destiny.

Based on the new enhancement trees, the build looks a little less attractive than it used to, and I TRed into a pure elven arcane archer, with the intention of doing well at end game. I have to say that race/class combination was made for each other, obviously, and I'm having fun playing such a classic character. No problem soloing heroic elites so far. Paralyzing arrows are a lifesaver. It was much tougher with the old enhancements. That being said, undead and construct quests are a bit trickier now that they nerfed paralyzing arrows a bit. I'm relearning how to kite. LOL.

Sneak attack damage is really nice, but like pets and hirelings, its not something you should rely on. For that reason, I tend to focus on reliable, concrete damage/crit boosts from stats, gear and feats. If I can add a couple d6 worth of sneak damage, cool. Whenever I've built an assassin, I've found the enemies gravitating towards me even when there's a paladin intimidating and they're standing in a wizards wall of fire. There's something in the game mechanics that makes monsters favor casters and rogues as targets, the same way we do.

Personally, I looked over the Deepwood tree and was a little wary. There's a few nice things in the tree, but overall it's grossly underwhelming for the way DDO is set up, at least in comparison with AA and Tempest. It looks good on paper, but when you have a handful of ogres breathing down your neck, sneak attack dice don't mean much. Same with rogue. Once you get a couple hits in, you will grab aggro whether you like it or not. The sniper autocrit ability would be nice to have with slayer arrows, as a guaranteed kill on a caster when you're in big trouble on heroics, but you can't take both.

I'd recommend spending a couple AP to get AA conjured arrows, at least. It saves you a lot of trouble visiting vendors constantly. To me, the convenience is well worth it. If you're going to open up AA tree for acid arrows, you may as well spend the point on conjured arrows.

The way that I play my ranger is to put two weapon sets on 1 and 2 of my main active hotbar. That way, I can switch out weapon sets in the middle of battle without taking my eyes off the action. For a lower level ranger, this is especially important, as you can instantly switch over to melee weapons as the enemy is closing in on you. Given how focused my current build is on archery, I just have two different bows, since my ranged damage exceeds my melee output, but the premise remains the same. One bow is specialized for the main enemy type of the quest, like a disruption bow, and another is a more generalized option, like a shrieking bow of heartseeking. Not a big revelation, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

I understand the desire to build what you want, definitely. If you like making lots of characters, try out an elven AA and see what you think. Paralyzing every monster on screen is surprisingly satisfying. In general, I find that going whole hog into one specialty makes you a much more valuable asset to a party, as opposed to spreading points around. If your plan is to solo, then you definitely need a more generalized build. The first time I got into epic gianthold with my halfling ranger/rogue, I started thinking about dumping rogue levels and making the most focused archer possible. Epic is an entirely different beast than levels 1-20, so it's up to you as to how far you plan to take your build. I had a good time with my halfling trapper/archer on the way to 20, so I expect you will, too.
    Last edited by MangLord; 03-19-2014 at 05:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedora1 View Post
    If you haven't already taken it, grab empower healing for your next feat. That will significantly boost your DM heals for free, and will really help your cure spells (especially when you get CSW).
    Cosigned. Particularly if you plan to run epic quests, empower heal and quicken feats are must have. Realistically, if you have healing abilities, empower healing is one of the most valuable feats you can take. You get a significant boost for only an extra 10sp.

Community Member

Does empower work with the Halfling Dragonmark healing?

I have tried so many iterations of my Halfling at this point. My latest one was a Halfling starting with 1 level of Artificer to use the repeater. At low levels, which is all I have experienced, it is so much stronger than the bow. Most of the DWS stuff seems to work with repeaters.

Im also thinking a STR based Halfling (ya I know) as I like the early healing of the Dragonmark, and the damage from Bow Strength is appealing. Im wondering 1-20, if an Bow Ranger can catch up to a Repeater ranger in damage.

Does Bow Strength, surpase three bolts?

My pure dex based AA ranger hits for far more damage than my pure intel based Battle Engineer Artificer. (Not taking into account the rune arm, just talking about the bows.) By the time you get to level 20, I'd say the amount of ammunition going downrange per minute is about the same. I don't have hard numbers, but the repeater seems to reload at the same speed it did when I took rapid reload feat, while archery seems to get faster. If you have a Pinion bow, the amount of arrows you can fire per minute dramatically increases and leaves a repeater in the dust. There's also a lot more really nice named longbows than there are repeating weapons, and repeaters require you to actually reload the weapon. I sometimes forget and I'll be forced to reload while an enemy is closing in on me.

Long story short, I feel like bows have more ways to win in the long term. Repeaters are strong at lower levels, but start to fall off as you approach level 16.

Community Member

So you are playing a pure ranger now? Do you miss the rogue levels? (for opening lock and disable device?)

Solo I like them, but when Im grouped, which usually means playing elite, I don't seem to actually have enough skill in them, without trapper gear to really make it worth while.

I do want to stay Halfling, so wondering if pure dex is good in the long run. As an elf, you get to add dex to damage, but no such option for the bow and Halfling. That's why was thinking of rerolling a more str based Halfling.

I'm pretty familiar with most quests, so I've grown to accept missing a locked chest or two. It doesn't bother me much anymore. A True Seeing item will automatically find secret doors for you reliably until level 16 or so. I've gotten used to drinking a heroism and haste pot and casting protection from energy to get through most traps. Blade and spike traps are a little more tricky, but a high reflex save and jump skill will allow your evasion to mitigate most of the damage.

Heroic elite is pretty unforgiving to undergeared rogues. Even with good stats and skills, you absolutely need to have +13 or better gear past level 11. Crafting is the best way to ensure you always have a +13 set of trapping goggles. Aside from that, random loot with half decent trapping boosts seem to be exceedingly rare, and you'll be looking to farm named items. The Crystal Cove event has a terrific trinket for trappers called the Treasure Hunters' Spyglass. I believe it should be coming back soon.

Halfling will never be as good at archery as an elf, but their racial tree has some nice bonuses. The save boosts are helpful, as are the dragonmarks. Halflings do very well as rogues and clerics. I've seen a couple halfling paladins, too. Each race has a preference, and I've learned to swim with the current, because the DM will offer you no concessions like they might in a tabletop game. Personally, I like to play highly specialized characters now, but I did enjoy trapping abilites for soloing. There's so many ways to assist in mitigating trap damage that I'd rather not spread myself thin on the way to building a strong character for epic levels.

If you're planning on building a STR based halfling, you're definitely fighting an uphill battle, but why not? The game is about making something fun and cool that you like. I could roll up a monkcher or toaster powertoon to make epic levels even easier, but I want to play a pure ranger that sticks to the spirit of the game and might not die 20 times in an EE quest. My only concern for you is that if you plan on playing epic content, many epic warrior feats require a very high base STR or CON, such as epic toughness or overwhelming critical. You need an 18 with a +3 tome or better. Topping out at a 16 STR will make all of those epic feats unavailable to you.

All of this you will learn as you play the character to 20. Then you can TR, gain a special feat and more stat points, and adjust what didn't work for you last time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12