Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Member

Default Best class for a dabbler new player?

I played the game like 2 years ago, but have been on a DnD kick lately and wanted to come back. I'm basically starting from 0.

I'm planning on subscribing for a month or two, and it seems like I have some spare Turbine points.

What race/class/build would you guys recommend for someone entirely new to the game, who wants a moderately easy time going through, and doesn't have any friends. I mean no friends playing.

I was interested in Bard, just as a general support type character, but honestly I'm happy to play anything. I do have a predisposition to wanting to swing city-block sized swords (darn you crappy anime in my formative years!).

Well, if you have access to it, a Bladeforged Paladin is pretty much easymode for heroic levels, and swings giant swords. Just spec mostly into Bladeforged (you want the Scribing enhancement that gives you Reconstruct as an SLA) and Knight of the Chalice, since the big sword prevents shields, and thus, a lot of Sacred Defender.

Also, there's the Bardbarian, specced into Skald. Not only a bard, but swings a big sword or axe.

And with the addition of Divine Disciple and Warpriest, Human Cleric is rather easy too, and doesn't need anybody unless it's on elite (where having a trapper on hand becomes valuable).

Community Member

I'd say it depends on how familiar you are with DnD/DDO. One thing to know about DDO is that it IS NOT DnD. Yes its based on it, but its still not. Keep that in mind when creating characters, and playing.

In my opinion, Bard my be a little more on the advanced side of things. Plus I found when I was a bard, that while I was trying to sit down to play a cencerto to inspire and buff my team mates, they were too impatient to listen to it. In other words, bard songs take a minute to play, and most players run off before your even done playing your first song. I also didn't find most of their beneficial buffing spells to be all that... well... beneficial. To be honest, when I am creating an group of random players to run quests, I often exclude bards from the list of those who can join. I'm not sure if I am alone in this. A well made bard by an experienced player can be a great help, but I've found that more often, bards can be a liability.

I would suggest sticking with the melees to start. Either fighter or barbarian. Very easy to build, easy to play, and the party wont expect anything special from you except to run in and bash things! You dont need a ton of skills to play either of them. Jump, balance, maybe intimidate, (though I skipped intimidate on all my melee builds and was fine)

The difference between DDO and DnD is how you build a character. In DnD its not a big deal if you get crappy rolls for your stats. Not a big deal if you have a wizard who starts with 14 INT, or a barbarian who starts with 14 STR. In DDO this will be a serious short coming. Whatever your characters main stat is, you will really need to start it as high as possible. Gonna be a Sorceror? Start with 18 CHA, Druid? 18 WIS. Fighter/Barb? 18 STR, and at least 16 CON. As a matter of fact, I'd say all classes should start with 16 CON.

Im not sure if you know about true reincarnation and past life feats (if not see the wiki http://ddowiki.com/page/Past_Life_Feats).I'd say the barbarian past life feat is probably better than the fighters. Every life of Barbarian gives you +10 max HP, can stack up to 3 times. The thing I found about this, is that once I had done a number of lives, I didn't want to go back and do barbarian. It was hard to work up the motivation to do it after I had done 9 lives of other classes, all of which could have benefited from more HP.

Community Member

Allrighty. I'm basically at 0 for pen and paper dnd and DDO, so there's that.

If I went fighter, which type would you recommend?

Is artficer a horrible choice?

I was looking at bladeforge, but don't you have to start the iconics at 15? I don't think that it's a great idea for me to just jump right in at mid-level.

Quote Originally Posted by Kroonerman View Post

I was looking at bladeforge, but don't you have to start the iconics at 15? I don't think that it's a great idea for me to just jump right in at mid-level.
    Badeforged is curently the op "race" so that's a great choice for you and a fast start. Also paladin splash (bladeforged forces you to take at least 1 lvl) is one of the best assets in the current state of the game.

You should know that curently multiclasses are stronger than 99% of the pure classes in any scenario you can think off. Don't let bladeforged do your leveling to 15 for you, more than 2 lvl of paladin is usually counter-productive.

If you figure out what type of character you want to play (role), we can probably give you a link to a build idea you might learn from and adopt.
    Last edited by PrimalConcreteSledge; 03-02-2014 at 08:08 PM.
    NESALOMLJIVI, Thelanis

Community Member

What about melee dps, two handed weapon style?

I was reading some stuff from 2012 that said tanks in DDO aren't really needed most of the time? If so, will I be fine just sort of running around with a DPS build that takes a few tanking abilities (I'd guess +threat, +hp, +AC/DR?)

Honestly I'm not super picky about what I end up playing as long as it's fun (I know, arbitrary value). To me, that usually means more passive abilities than clickies, and swinging a huge sword.

But to be fun for me it has to work well, and has to solo pretty decently, but also have something to bring to a group. So if it's like super mega awesome in a group but can't solo, that's no good. And if it's super awesome solo but useless in a group, that's no good either.

I pretty much cross the entire range in other games, from ranged dps to tank to healer. About the only thing I hate playing is a ranged caster. Too fiddly and squishy, though I like rogues and those aren't much better.

Community Member

Good thinking this. I'd avoid the bladeforged until you have ran through the game level 1-20 a couple of times.

For fighter, I really liked Kensei. Easy to build and easy to equip, stalwart is also fun and easy. Kensei is going to have more DPS (damage output), Stalwart is going to have more defense.
    I don't have the character builder at the moment, but for kensei, Id say 16 STR, 14 DEX, and the rest in CON. For skills take jump, balance, and intimidate.

Artificer is an awesome class. My personal favorite. Very powerful! Especially if you choose Warforged. Also pretty easy to build, but can get stretched a little thin. You'd need to start your INT at 18, DEX 14 or 16, and the rest in CON.

The thing to know about artificer, is that groups will expect a bit more from you. They will expect you to find and disable traps. You'll also be a spell caster and be expected to pass around buffs. Artificers have some of the best buffs IMO.

Lots of people do multiclass, and most builds are made more powerful by multiclassing, but for new players, I suggest staying pure. Multiclassing is really for advanced players, again this in my opinion.

First -
    • What do you prefer playing? Honestly I don't know why anyone hasn't asked this already. Do you prefer (a) to be up close and personal swinging a weapon, (b) casting spells and destroying your enemies that way, or (c) helping others out and allow their ego barometer to rise?
    • I would HIGHLY recommend staying away from Blade Forged if you are new so that you can learn the game. Maybe as a third or fourth toon, but not as your first or second.
    • From personal experience; Tempest Ranger (18/1/1), WF Artificer, Warchanter(16/2/2 or 15/3/2), Paladin, Wizard*, WF Sorcerer, Druid, and Cleric/FvS (melee) are new player friendly. They are new player "friendly" because they are all self-sufficient by time you get into 15+ content which makes life easier and are fairly easy to gear.
    • Most importantly play what makes you happy

* - Wizards are not "smell the roses" kind of characters and do require some knowledge of the quest. Thankfully there is DDO Wiki and Youtube for guides as well as the forums (if you can get the search function to work). They are very simple to gear though and their power is exponential so although the lower levels can be bothersome, upper levels (non-EE) become a lot easier.

Can't stress this enough though, Play what makes you happy even if it isn't something people (the player community) consider "optimal."
    Last edited by AbyssalMage; 03-02-2014 at 09:13 PM. Reason: Forgot to add Druid as a self-suffiecient/easy to gear

Ah, now that's specific. Melee, mostly passive abilities, not so many clickies, can solo, but is still useful to groups.

Since you're new to the game overall, I'm going to assume you won't be insisting on going elite-streaking and epic-elite running on your first pass through. I'll also assume that you'll be fine with using hirelings.

There, allow me to suggest, though it may seem a little strange, and won't be 100% optimal powerwise...

Human or Halfling Barbarian, specced into Occult Slayer.

As Human, you'd have one more Feat to play with, an extra skill point (for...um...jump, intimidate, or swim) and access to the useful Healing Amp racial line.
    As Halfling, you could dump a feat on the Dragonmark of Healing. If you go that route, take the racial enhancements for it, /especially/ Bring out the Leeches, which will let you get rid of negative levels.

Occult Slayer is mostly passives, though it has a few click abilities (but mostly you'd just be using the standard Cleave + Great Cleave). What it excels at is improving your defenses against magic and destroying spellcasters. It's not too shabby against everything else either. The core ability to it, however, is the Weapon Bond, so it encourages you to find a weapon that is as universally applicable as possible to avoid weapon swapping mid-quest.

To help with the healing issues, keep a hireling on hand when soloing, and keep an eye out for the Swaying Mushroom Cluster and Swaying Mushroom Spore Pod collectables. They can be turned in, in Lordsmarch Plaza, for Elixers of Greater Healing, which are far, far superior to Cure Serious Wounds potions. (If halfling, you'd also have access to a few clicky-castings of Heal per rest.)

Then, once you're used to things, you can move on to more complex builds, or try to get the gear to optimize what you're already doing.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Have a look at Kensei Warpriest and Chai's melee bard.

First of all, welcome back.

for a new player with no acces to iconics (so no bladeforged) i would suggest:
    a paladin4 monk6 fighter10, very hard to kill, decent dps (divine might!) with a greatsword, falchion or greataxe.
    A rog 2, ranger 6/11 fill the rest with fighter (i'm a bit out of date with rangers atm)

Decent dps, high saves and evasion make it fun to play a melee in here

make one of your toon ready for free to play, you'll lose acces to some races and classes if your subscription expires.

What about melee dps, two handed weapon style?

I was reading some stuff from 2012 that said tanks in DDO aren't really needed most of the time? If so, will I be fine just sort of running around with a DPS build that takes a few tanking abilities (I'd guess +threat, +hp, +AC/DR?)

Honestly I'm not super picky about what I end up playing as long as it's fun (I know, arbitrary value). To me, that usually means more passive abilities than clickies, and swinging a huge sword.

But to be fun for me it has to work well, and has to solo pretty decently, but also have something to bring to a group. So if it's like super mega awesome in a group but can't solo, that's no good. And if it's super awesome solo but useless in a group, that's no good either.

I pretty much cross the entire range in other games, from ranged dps to tank to healer. About the only thing I hate playing is a ranged caster. Too fiddly and squishy, though I like rogues and those aren't much better.
    Do you intent to play end-game epic elite quests or just want to learn the game, play epic hard and do a couple past lives? New players with no gear can do good in epic elites but require very specific class/race combinations. On the other hand, for heroic levels and epic hard anything goes really.
    NESALOMLJIVI, Thelanis

Community Member

What race/class/build would you guys recommend for someone entirely new to the game, who wants a moderately easy time going through, and doesn't have any friends. I mean no friends playing.

I was interested in Bard, just as a general support type character, but honestly I'm happy to play anything. I do have a predisposition to wanting to swing city-block sized swords (darn you crappy anime in my formative years!).
    Quote Originally Posted by skaught78 View Post
    In my opinion, Bard my be a little more on the advanced side of things. Plus I found when I was a bard, that while I was trying to sit down to play a cencerto to inspire and buff my team mates, they were too impatient to listen to it. In other words, bard songs take a minute to play, and most players run off before your even done playing your first song. I also didn't find most of their beneficial buffing spells to be all that... well... beneficial. To be honest, when I am creating an group of random players to run quests, I often exclude bards from the list of those who can join. I'm not sure if I am alone in this. A well made bard by an experienced player can be a great help, but I've found that more often, bards can be a liability.
    Yes, bards are a bit more complicated to play than straight melees. However, the solo melee will find themselves wanting various kinds of support fairly often, and bards bring a lot of that on their own. Somewhat different detail choices for solo/DPS than for party buffs and crowd control though.

Quote Originally Posted by skaught78 View Post
    I would suggest sticking with the melees to start. Either fighter or barbarian. Very easy to build, easy to play, and the party wont expect anything special from you except to run in and bash things!
    Yes, solo fighter or barbarian is probably the simplest thing to play, at least to start with. IF you can get the appropriate support, at least.

A multiclass build with some of the support capabilities included may become easier in the long run if you don't get the stable group. Any number of those have been listed already by unbongwah and EllisDee37 - and I have at least started several of those myself (three Tempest Trapmonkey variants active, three that look like variants of the Tempest Warpriest, one Kensei Warpriest, one Pale Trapper, one Evasion Paladin, one sorta-bardcher, one each of two different "weekend warrior" builds), and... it's mostly a question of which playing style you prefer.

The Kensei Warpriest, Evasion Paladin, and the simpler melee bard-based builds at least naturally gravitate towards large blades.
    Last edited by mna; 03-03-2014 at 06:46 AM.
    No longer completely f2p as of November 2014. Father of 3 more DDO players so far (I do have more children than that).

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by PrimalConcreteSledge View Post
    Do you intent to play end-game epic elite quests or just want to learn the game, play epic hard and do a couple past lives? New players with no gear can do good in epic elites but require very specific class/race combinations. On the other hand, for heroic levels and epic hard anything goes really.
    I think I'm going to settle for the Kensei Warpriest build linked here. It seems to do what I want.

To answer your question, I'm not really planning on doing much epic/hard stuff, just learn the game and enjoy it for now. I usually get bored trying to end-game raid.

Community Member

For someone new to the game who solos a lot I can't recommend an artificer enough. If you play warforged you'll be able to do traps (Don't under-estimate how annoying traps can be at higher difficulties.), self heal, cast spells, decent DPSwith a repeater and have a mutt to absorb some aggro. It's easy to play and very forgiving of the minor build mistakes you're likely to make.

It was my first serious character that I got to 20 and I don't think I've enjoyed playing any other class as much.

Once you get to level 20+ you do fall behind in DPS so you'll probably want to TR into something else.
    Last edited by Brendael; 03-03-2014 at 12:05 PM.

Artificiers would be a great place to start.

They are feat heavy, so allows for alot of customization. They can be self healing if warforged or with construct essence. They do great damage, particularly in heroic levels. They are very easy to level up. Trapping skills. Flame turret, bad barrier, tactical detontation and such are great spells.

You can solo easily or contribute to a group well well.

So if you are thinking that give artificer a go. Would be well worth it. I'll dig up a build for you.
    Panzermeyer - Huge Terry Brooks Shannara Fan

Main
    Jelara Shannara - PDK
    Steel Shrine (TR XX - Barb x3, Drd x3, FvS x3, Pal x2, Rgr x1, Rog x2, Sorc x3, Wiz x3 - EtR X - Arc x3, Div x2, Mart x3, Prim x3 - ItR II - PDK x2)
    Alts
    DamsonRhee Shannara - PDK Swashbuckler
    Challenge Farmer
    Eritria Shannara - Human Swashbuckler
    (TR VII - Ftr x3, Sorc x1, Wiz x3 EtR - Prim x1)
    Kirisin Shannara - Sun Elf Shadovar Infiltrator (TR XIV - Barb x1, Bard x1, Clc x3, Fvs x3, Sorc x3, Wiz x3 - EtR V - Mart x2, Div x3 - ItR - MLE x1)

The only downside of a warforged artificer for a new player is that both the race and the class are pay to play.

2015 DDO Players Council Seikojin's Avatar

EllisDee37's builds are all solid.

You could tinker around with those or make some 12/6/2 combo yourself on Lamannia and see what you like.

18 wiz/2 rogue wf am
    try all the spells. get all the traps. do all quest hard/elite solo yet still great in group. great first life solo build!

alternatively

18 sorc/2 pally wf savant
    decent selection of spells, won't be able to do traps but your saves will be good so you should be able to survive them. will have an easier time soloing quests first time with sorc's bigger mana pool for forgiveness.

sorcs can't freely swap spells like a wizard, but truthfully there aren't that many worth taking beyond what your sorc will get(but maybe you'll want to discover that for yourself and play wizard to experience them all). it is fun to be able to take stuff like glitterdust low level on a wiz.

a lot of time people say a wizard is like a swiss army knife and a sorc is like a machete but really its like a wizard is that fat ass swiss army knife with the blender on it and the sorc is the smaller model of the swiss army knife so don't think that playing sorc over wizard will limit your options too much.

warforged race is kind of a big deal though since wiz/sorc get repair spells which is self healing for warforged.
    Orien
    Spills (Completionist in Training), Pother (Gimpy Monk), Concert (Gimpy Bard)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast