Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Community Member

Default List of complaints for Rangers

1. Why cant melee rangers get a stance that paralyzes similar to AA paralyze?
    2. Resists seem low.
    3. Gimped by light armor to keep evasion
    4. Why oh why is the best pet I can summon only CR4? absolutely useless. Give us a real pet like the artificer has. Black Panther anyone?
    5. Not sure why camo uses cats hair instead of camelions tail like all my other spells.
    6. dance of death should last longer then 5 seconds.
    7. An additional spell level we could cast would be awesome.

Not sure if trolling . . .

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by valkrei View Post
    2. Resists seem low.
    4. Why oh why is the best pet I can summon only CR4? absolutely useless. Give us a real pet like the artificer has. Black Panther anyone?
    5. Not sure why camo uses cats hair instead of camelions tail like all my other spells.
    why would a list of complaints about things that In my opinion need fixed be trolling?

Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    Not sure if trolling . . .
    Dude there's a Drizzt reference in there how can you not be sure.

2. Resists seem low.
    1. Because tempest does not spend time worrying about magic.
    2. Because they are not wizards
    3. This makes sense. They should be a class that gets evasion in light; as a tempest enhancement for level... 7.
    4. Their pet should be upgradeable, oh wait, they don't get a pet. They get a summon spell. Not their mainstay for combat. There is a feat to help you with that.
    5. haven't looked in a while, but I would wager because of its spell level.
    6. It should be a stance.
    8. Not in Pnp, not in ddo.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Seikojin View Post
    1. Because tempest does not spend time worrying about magic.
    2. Because they are not wizards
    3. This makes sense. They should be a class that gets evasion in light; as a tempest enhancement for level... 7.
    4. Their pet should be upgradeable, oh wait, they don't get a pet. They get a summon spell. Not their mainstay for combat. There is a feat to help you with that.
    5. haven't looked in a while, but I would wager because of its spell level.
    6. It should be a stance.
    8. Not in Pnp, not in ddo.
    Appreicate your comments.

1. I think you could not be magic based and know critical locations to strike to cause paralysis, Hey if Jet li can can do it with a needle why can't my ranger.
    2. I think when I talk about resists I am mainly speaking about traps. I know a ranger is not a rogue but my ranger can't pass through a trap to save his life and thats even with me being a Dex based ranger.
    3. Just to be clear, If Rangers could keep evasion in Medium armor that would go along way to keeping them viable.
    4. upgrade to pets, yes currently its just a summon spell, but even if I spent a feat at best my creature would only be CR8.
    5. Spell level as a factor for component, at least that makes some sense.
    6. Dance of death stance, would be cool, I am a drow tempest. Would have to swap out my venomed blade stance but the dance of death stance would be worth it easily.

Community Member

Hi,

I think most of your problems with the class can be solved with better building and gearing.

1. If you want a paralysis effect in melee, use paralyzing weapons. I don't know of any movies in which Jet Li plays a ranger, but perhaps I missed that one. As for 'why can't I?', I think the real question here is 'why should you be able to do that?' How does the ability you want fit in the with theme of the class?

2. If by 'resists' you mean saving throws, then no, they aren't low. You have the best save progression in both Fortitude and Reflex. If you aren't making your saving throws for those two you may need to look at your gearing to boost your saves. There are also enhancements in the ranger trees which you can use to further increase your reflex saves.

Not regularly making saves really only becomes a serious problem for builds without divine grace in higher difficulty end game content. Even then there are plenty of ways to work around it.

3. Evasion is far, far more useful than medium armour. But you can still wear medium or even heavy armour if you want to do that, not that it would be a good idea. I'd suggest you look at your aggro management techniques instead, and invest in some way to get more dodge, as well as blurry, ghostly and displacement effects.

4. Like another poster mentioned, you have access to summons, not a pet. You might not know, but in DDO rangers got full lines of feats in both two weapon fighting and ranged to make up for the lack of the pet. Don't be upset about this, it makes your character very versatile, and means you don't have to worry about why you have a pet with wonky AI instead of half the feats you need.

5. How is this a problem exactly? Camouflage is not a useful spell unless you are sneaking. Casting it on other party members is usually a complete waste of time too, and when I see people doing that it's usually a warning sign that they are a weaker player.

6. No opinion about this.

7. Access to spells is based on PnP. Some unfortunately are missing in DDO. Take the cure and utility spells which are useful and forget the rest. You have a bunch of useful spells for party buffing and looking after yourself, but you are not an offensive caster.

You can get a lot of help with building and gearing by asking the right people. Complaining about the deficiencies of a class which many other people have made to work well is just unproductive.

Thanks.
    Astrican on Khyber

2. Resists seem low.
    1. sounds like an enhancement. be cool to have, but there are some nice paralyzing named weapons in game.

2. not sure what you mean here. saves? its all in the build and gear. my ranger never really had what I would call a problem with saves.

3. would it make sense to have evasion in heavy armor?

4. yes. ranger pets are useless and not worth the sp to bother summoning. I cant imagine augment summoning and 3x druid past lives would be enough to still bother wasting the sp summoning them. if augment summoning was that good, than people would be suggesting to use a feat slot. they are still cr 4, but buffed up a little.

5. minor thing

6. I don't know what that is.

7. rangers are in desperate need for more useful spells. the spell levels are the same in PnP. most spells are either too weak or not worth the slot.
    Gary Gygax quotes

The essence of a role-playing game is that it is a group, cooperative experience.

There is no winning or losing, but rather the value is in the experience of imagining yourself as a character in whatever genre you are involved in, whether its a fantasy game, the Wild West, secret agents or whatever else. You get to sort of vicariously experience those things.

Role-playing isn't storytelling. If the dungeon master is directing it, its not a game.

When AI approximates Machine Intelligence, than many online and computer run RPGs will move toward actual RPG activity. Nonetheless, that will not replace the experience of "being there" anymore than seeing a theatrical motion picture can replace the stage play.

The secret we should never let the game masters know is that they don't need any rules.

"5. How is this a problem exactly? Camouflage is not a useful spell unless you are sneaking. Casting it on other party members is usually a complete waste of time too, and when I see people doing that it's usually a warning sign that they are a weaker player."

or a player that doesnt like the bark or stone look

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by toaftoaf View Post
    "5. How is this a problem exactly? Camouflage is not a useful spell unless you are sneaking. Casting it on other party members is usually a complete waste of time too, and when I see people doing that it's usually a warning sign that they are a weaker player."

or a player that doesnt like the bark or stone look
    Hi,

Hope you've been well.

I think barkskin isn't a terribly useful spell either, but I can certainly understand why someone wouldn't like the appearance. If I cast barkskin, I usually cast stoneskin over it.

The fact that camo removes the stoneskin graphic is one more thing I don't like about it. Being able to see when stoneskin has disappeared on your character is more useful (to me anyway) than scanning an often very crowded buff bar.

One of the best spell fixes to DDO was when they removed the camo graphic. The old appearance basically made it a griefing tool, and what we have now is much better.

Thanks.
    Astrican on Khyber

Community Member

The problem with barkskin is that if you have enough of the right bonus from an item, it wont cast on you.

Best spells, heal and resists and after that pretty meh. I just think they could do something to make the spells you cast more relevant end game is all.

I also never said I wanted evasion in heavy armor, I said Medium. Right now there really are not many classes geared towards medium. Usually you see people in light or heavy.

Community Member

2. Resists seem low.
    My list would go more like this:

1) tempest capstone is broken (supposed to be fixed next update) and generally not that good anyway
    2) tempest tier 5s are useless. They should get something on par with kensei, assassin, etc. My personal opinion is that they should get full str bonus to offhand and imp evasion.
    3) they should be the best archers in AA/DWS. The real problem here is that silly 10k stars shouldn't effect arrows, or at least should share a timer with manyshot and manyshot shouldn't debuff doubleshot which should be buffed if 10k is nerfed.
    4) cure light should be a level 1 spell and something useful needs to be added to level 3 spell list. Level 4 gives FoM and cure serious.... I think all cures should be moved down a level and cure crit added to level 4.

Quote Originally Posted by Inoukchuk View Post

1) tempest capstone is broken (supposed to be fixed next update) and generally not that good anyway
    2) tempest tier 5s are useless. They should get something on par with kensei, assassin, etc. My personal opinion is that they should get full str bonus to offhand and imp evasion.
    3) they should be the best archers in AA/DWS. The real problem here is that silly 10k stars shouldn't effect arrows, or at least should share a timer with manyshot and manyshot shouldn't debuff doubleshot which should be buffed if 10k is nerfed.
    4) cure light should be a level 1 spell and something useful needs to be added to level 3 spell list. Level 4 gives FoM and cure serious.... I think all cures should be moved down a level and cure crit added to level 4.
    Also remove the caster level limit on CSW. Do that, a little hjealing amp, and LOLz Reconstruct.

Yet another example of a failed enhancement system overhaul.
    As I stated in another thread, "without monk splashed in, the game passes you by"

Tempest got nerfed 3.5 years ago due to "bandwidth allocation of TWF" Since then, Tempest is a nick-nack on a shelf.
    I used to take my Tempest into ToD and be at the top, if not lead the kill count. NOW? Just a paid piker in a raid.
    Truly a shame the devs have purposely ignored the real potential of Tempest.
    Add this to the "Enhancement Pass" failure we have to deal with.

Community Member

Also remove the caster level limit on CSW. Do that, a little hjealing amp, and LOLz Reconstruct.
    In retrospect, the vigor spells didn't exist when the ranger spell list was created and would better fit the class as a nature hybrid and I think provide more overall healing. And some hamp would be nice, yes

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by ferd View Post
    As I stated in another thread, "without monk splashed in, the game passes you by"

Tempest got nerfed 3.5 years ago due to "bandwidth allocation of TWF" Since then, Tempest is a nick-nack on a shelf.
    I used to take my Tempest into ToD and be at the top, if not lead the kill count. NOW? Just a paid piker in a raid.
    Twf isn't in terrible shape actually. The main drawbacks being:
    1) a ranger/fighter can't splash both monk and paladin, having to choose one or the other (a problem sine both are OP for 2 level splash)
    2) twf doesn't play well with cleave attacks making it slightly less preferable for blitz builds (though it benefits from blitz just fine)
    3) tempest is flawed as detailed in my previous post

Quote Originally Posted by ferd View Post

Dude, rangers are fine. Seriously, they made out in the ENH pass.

Are they ridiculously OP like monks? No, but they are more powerful they they were before.

Twf isn't in terrible shape actually. The main drawbacks being:
    1) a ranger/fighter can't splash both monk and paladin, having to choose one or the other (a problem sine both are OP for 2 level splash)
    2) twf doesn't play well with cleave attacks making it slightly less preferable for blitz builds (though it benefits from blitz just fine)
    3) tempest is flawed as detailed in my previous post
    Dude . . . TWFing is more powerful and the new weapons push that further along.

Dude, rangers are fine. Seriously, they made out in the ENH pass.

Are they ridiculously OP like monks? No, but they are more powerful they they were before.
    Ok, I'll go with this.

Founder & Hero
    2016 DDO Players Council

Appreicate your comments.

1. I think you could not be magic based and know critical locations to strike to cause paralysis, Hey if Jet li can can do it with a needle why can't my ranger.
    2. I think when I talk about resists I am mainly speaking about traps. I know a ranger is not a rogue but my ranger can't pass through a trap to save his life and thats even with me being a Dex based ranger.
    3. Just to be clear, If Rangers could keep evasion in Medium armor that would go along way to keeping them viable.
    4. upgrade to pets, yes currently its just a summon spell, but even if I spent a feat at best my creature would only be CR8.
    5. Spell level as a factor for component, at least that makes some sense.
    6. Dance of death stance, would be cool, I am a drow tempest. Would have to swap out my venomed blade stance but the dance of death stance would be worth it easily.
    'Rangers don't get a pet instead they got both the melee and range lines if you got a pet you would have to choose which line to specialize in and then you would get a pet at half the strength of a druid or artie. well that's how it worked in pnp and no way should they get a pet as strong as the pet class as that would be a indirect nerf to those classes. Rangers shouldn't get any more spell levels

The ANTI-Realms FANBOI NUKE THE REALMS ITS THE ONLY REAL WAY TO BE SURE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast