Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Member Cryptobranchus's Avatar

Default A suggestion to made the Druid even cooler

I am a fan of the Druid. Enough said. I mostly play as a wolf/melee druid and find running around in animal form to be a blast. However, of late I have been wondering if more variety could be added to the mix ... I mean, the wolf is more like a rogue as far as being able to do sneak-attack damage and they do best been working with a group so that they can flank (much like how a wolf pack operates in the wild). The bear, on the other hand, is the barbarian/tank which uses its size and strength to brutalize the enemy and can pretty much stand on its own, for the most part. Upon seeing the Onyz Panther Hireling fight, and since I know there are cat lovers out there, AND knowing she is a fighter ... A thought came to me. Why not allow Druids to turn into large cats! This form would be Fighter based with the initial form a panther or lion and the secondary, stronger form a Razor Cat (since all the other types of cats are fiendish in origin and out of the question).

I would also suggest that there be other companions to choose from (or be assigned automatically depending on why animal form people choose) like a bear instead of just a wolf since I find a bear/dire bear running around with a wolf odd (consequently the large cat would also have a large cat companion). Not to mention, I find if irksome that an NPC Druid can have a bear companion and a player Druid cannot.

ALSO, can I suggest skins for the Druid companions, at least. Everyone runs around with a grey wolf. BORING ... Why not let them be Winter Wolves or Black Wolves or Spotted Wolves??? I mean, we can do it on LOTRO with Loremasters. Why not here?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cryptobranchus View Post
    I am a fan of the Druid. Enough said.
    You're right, enought was said. From there on, I agree with all you will say.

So even though I didn't read, YES!
    Last edited by Azarddoze; 02-27-2014 at 06:39 PM.
    Kal Vas Flam... Corp Por... Corp Por

...And then there was silence

Community Member

Druids will only be complete when you can transform into a giant squirrel, summon a giant squirrel and/or summon a squirrel swarm.
    besides that, in Wolf From you should be the fastest moving characters in game...

Quote Originally Posted by rasend View Post
    Druids will only be complete when you can transform into a giant squirrel, summon a giant squirrel and/or summon a squirrel swarm.
    besides that, in Wolf From you should be the fastest moving characters in game...

Hate to burst your bubble, but wolves are not that fast. They're actually pretty slow compared to other four legged creatures. What I don't get is why they did not give us feline forms which are far superior hunters on their own than large dogs who have to depend on others are.
    Last edited by Veriden; 02-28-2014 at 02:53 AM.

Community Member

That would depend on the the type of wolf
    In game, I'm thinking of a wolf that runs faster than a two legged monk.
    and when thinking squirrel form, I'm thinking of a squirrel that runs faster than a two legged monk.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Veriden View Post
    Hate to burst your bubble, but wolves are not that fast. They're actually pretty slow compared to other four legged creatures. What I don't get is why they did not give us feline forms which are far superior hunters on their own than large dogs who have to depend on others are.
    Sorry to burst your bubble but your only accurate in so far as a marathon runner isnt as fast as a 100m sprinter. I have never met anyone who would say the winner of last years London marathon was a slowpoke and I'm damn sure he would more than likely be able to keep up with me (if not downright leave me standing looking silly) in a short distance 100m sprint (and I am around average over that distance).

Wolves are fast in the extreme which means above the average over short distance and almost the pinacle over the long haul.

Ever since they announced that they'd be bringing out the druid as a class in DDO I've been really hoping that they'd have a Dragon wild shape. There's still hope with the level cap rise to 30, right? Right? D:

I can dream...

Quote Originally Posted by Weemadarthur View Post
    Sorry to burst your bubble but your only accurate in so far as a marathon runner isnt as fast as a 100m sprinter. I have never met anyone who would say the winner of last years London marathon was a slowpoke and I'm damn sure he would more than likely be able to keep up with me (if not downright leave me standing looking silly) in a short distance 100m sprint (and I am around average over that distance).

Wolves are fast in the extreme which means above the average over short distance and almost the pinacle over the long haul.
    Sorry, that bubble doesn't exist. Great hunting felines are faster than wolves. Google is your friend. Wolves are inferior hunters on their own, why they would give us glorified dogs and fat filled bears when there are hundreds of much better things a druid can shift into pnp wise. People get all teary eyed at wolves but they really aren't that great when you break it down and compare them to other creatures we could possibly be.

Also, monks are mystical, they're not fashioned after real life monks. Their teachings in the game allow them to move with a fluid alacrity that does not truly exist in the world anywhere but anime and cheesy b-rated kung-fu movies...at which they're often out maneuvering creatures and doing impossible feats.

Devs dropped the ball on the what coolness the druids could possibly have.

Sorry, that bubble doesn't exist. Great hunting felines are faster than wolves. Google is your friend. Wolves are inferior hunters on their own, why they would give us glorified dogs and fat filled bears when there are hundreds of much better things a druid can shift into pnp wise. People get all teary eyed at wolves but they really aren't that great when you break it down and compare them to other creatures we could possibly be.

Also, monks are mystical, they're not fashioned after real life monks. Their teachings in the game allow them to move with a fluid alacrity that does not truly exist in the world anywhere but anime and cheesy b-rated kung-fu movies...at which they're often out maneuvering creatures and doing impossible feats.

Also, winter wolves are magical beasts, they're not fashioned after real life wolves.

Founder & Hero
    2016 DDO Players Council

Wolves are known for endurance not speed.

The ANTI-Realms FANBOI NUKE THE REALMS ITS THE ONLY REAL WAY TO BE SURE

I would love it if they added falcon or eagle. I'd settle for pigeon, but would be surprised to even get penguin.

Ok ... That is just funny!!!

Good question ... Which is why I am suggesting it.

I could also ask Turbine why NPC Rangers have companions, as all Rangers should, and why player characters cannot? Or, why do Wizards not have familiars? I mean, in the new wilderness the Ruins of Thunderholm there is a mage rare who has a psuedodragon as a familiar! This is something that I think needs to change. After all, this IS supposed to be Dungeons and Dragons.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaisoni View Post
    Ever since they announced that they'd be bringing out the druid as a class in DDO I've been really hoping that they'd have a Dragon wild shape. There's still hope with the level cap rise to 30, right? Right? D:

I can dream...
    That WOULD be cool. And, you are not the only one I have heard who has wondered about that. However, I really don't think they want us that OP ... sorry

I can dream too ...

Community Member

Uh Bears are tremendously fast. A bear would run you down with ease. Cats are also sprinters, none of them have stamina - sure they can go fast for brief spurts but then they are blown. Wolves can run all day, that's how they get their prey, they run them into the ground. Before the Disneyification oif Bears they were the most fearsome animal out in the wild.

Also your historical basis for the Druid archetype would have no knowledge or access to big cats. Bears and Wolves were the top predators in their area.

Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Cryptobranchus View Post
    That WOULD be cool. And, you are not the only one I have heard who has wondered about that. However, I really don't think they want us that OP ... sorry

I can dream too ...
    Given how OP our characters already are I think changing into a dragon might actually be a nerf.

Community Member

Cats and bears are not pack hunters, though. There's no reason a cat or bear would follow you around and listen to your commands...they'd just go off and find a kobold of their own to munch on. They don't have the instinct for cooperative fighting that wolves and other social hunters do.

Druids don't magically charm or compel their companions, after all, they just "convince" them to follow along with their forest lore.

Wolves are intelligent and have greater endurance. Cats are over appreciated by many. They are one trick ponies that come in various shapes.
    Dystopia = utopia achieved

Maybe they could give Druids Monk form, but it could only last a few seconds or it would be OP.

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    Cats and bears are not pack hunters, though. There's no reason a cat or bear would follow you around and listen to your commands...they'd just go off and find a kobold of their own to munch on. They don't have the instinct for cooperative fighting that wolves and other social hunters do.

Druids don't magically charm or compel their companions, after all, they just "convince" them to follow along with their forest lore.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmdqFe2URnU

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast