Default Best race for final Rogue life

I have a rogue which is probably my favorite character. Just finishing up her fifth life. So far have done Rogue 3 times, and both Fighter and Ranger each once. I am currently half elf but am not satisfied with that race after the enhancement pass. So, I'm going to do one more life to get into a race I'll like better. Problem is... Which race?

I'm currently torn between Shadar-kai to start at 15 and get some cool stuff and going Drow and using an Otto's box to speed things up. Just want to get back into Epics. Will absolutely be max Int high Dex Assassin using int/dex to hit and damage. Problem is, once I get everything I want in assassin and mechanic, not much left for acrobat and race trees.

Shadar-kai seems cool but expensive to go up the tree. Drow is nice for higher int and dex, but some/most of their tree is currently bugged. So, any advice out there on either of these two? Am I overlooking another contender (besides human)?
    Proud Officer of the Guild of the Black Dragon on Sarlona.

Quote Originally Posted by Riekan View Post
    I have a rogue which is probably my favorite character. Just finishing up her fifth life. So far have done Rogue 3 times, and both Fighter and Ranger each once. I am currently half elf but am not satisfied with that race after the enhancement pass. So, I'm going to do one more life to get into a race I'll like better. Problem is... Which race?I'm currently torn between Shadar-kai to start at 15 and get some cool stuff and going Drow and using an Otto's box to speed things up. Just want to get back into Epics. Will absolutely be max Int high Dex Assassin using int/dex to hit and damage. Problem is, once I get everything I want in assassin and mechanic, not much left for acrobat and race trees.Shadar-kai seems cool but expensive to go up the tree. Drow is nice for higher int and dex, but some/most of their tree is currently bugged. So, any advice out there on either of these two? Am I overlooking another contender (besides human)?
    I would go human and my flavor rogue choice would be dwarf.

I'd say go human, the extra feat and healing amp are always nice. Though....since you're one of those people that's a max int assassin..what's your hp looking like around lvl 20/28?
    XxMazexX the Rogue SneakATank, 30th Life, Completionist.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Riekan View Post
    I have a rogue which is probably my favorite character. Just finishing up her fifth life. So far have done Rogue 3 times, and both Fighter and Ranger each once. I am currently half elf but am not satisfied with that race after the enhancement pass. So, I'm going to do one more life to get into a race I'll like better. Problem is... Which race?

I'm currently torn between Shadar-kai to start at 15 and get some cool stuff and going Drow and using an Otto's box to speed things up. Just want to get back into Epics. Will absolutely be max Int high Dex Assassin using int/dex to hit and damage. Problem is, once I get everything I want in assassin and mechanic, not much left for acrobat and race trees.

Shadar-kai seems cool but expensive to go up the tree. Drow is nice for higher int and dex, but some/most of their tree is currently bugged. So, any advice out there on either of these two? Am I overlooking another contender (besides human)?
    Most of the drow bugs are fixed but honestly when choosing a pure rogue int-based assassin race I think you have to toss the racial enhancements out the door anyways. I can't see spending more than 6 points in a racial tree and that's pushing it. Drow gives you +2 dex/int on build and +2 int for 6 total AP. Human gives you +1 int for 3 total AP as well as some boosting options for up to +3 more while boosts are active. Shadar-kai seeming cool but expensive going up the tree is what discounts it as a choice in my mind. I'm completely with you - there are so many great choices in the rogue trees that I could easily spend 100AP and be happy with everything I bought. Racial trees just aren't compelling enough to compete so it boils down to the races that can cheaply boost int (human, drow, helf) or get bonus feats of some sort (human and helf).
    Tajawuka 20 Bladeforged Paladin running divine ETR's (3 ranger/monk/fighter pl's, 3 martial epl's) - Toolbots working on Morninglord Cleric life #2 (3 wizard/sorc/druid pl) - Evisra 28 rogue

Halfling!

Start with 18 dex and 18 int, rest into con. All level ups into Int. makes for a great int based assassin with high dex. Halflings get extra sneak attack. I am on my third life with this build and loving it.
    Kill'em all and let their favorite deity sort'em out
    Quote from a shroud run "I am an idiot, not a newb"

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bolo_Grubb View Post
    Halfling!

Start with 18 dex and 18 int, rest into con. All level ups into Int. makes for a great int based assassin with high dex. Halflings get extra sneak attack. I am on my third life with this build and loving it.

This. Halfling saves are awesome for a rogue's survivability, and extra sneak attack is great. The extra +2 int isn't that big a deal, I assassinate everything anyway.
    Graceana, 28 rogue (TRing) ~ Xiya, 12 ranger/8 fighter ~ Shinshi, 28 monk ~ Ayaxi, 20 rogue (TRing) ~ Saravi, 28 cleric ~ Sanziana, 20 ranger (TRing)
    Talvi, 20 druid ~ Zinzie, 18 sorcerer/2 paladin ~ Kishori, 20 bard ~ Faunia, 9 druid/9 monk/2 fighter/8 epic ~ Viven, 16 bard/4 fighter/8 epic
    Cliodna, 18 wizard/2 rogue (TRing) ~ Serenwyn, 15 bard/3 fighter/2 rogue ~ Duisteri, 12 monk/5 wizard/3 rogue/4 epic
    The Casual Obsession
    Khyber

Check out the link in my sig for a comprehensive halfling assassin build that hits over 700 HP, 28% dodge, and a 68-71 DC with simple buffs
    The Shadow Assassin ~ Hsoftl ~ 16th life Halfling Assassin

Do you even sneak bro?

"Death on Call"

Community Member

best "anything" for the most part, is partially subjective.

Halflings get some nice saves, +3 SA dice and Dragonmark stuffz.
    Shadar-Kai get +2 SA dice and practical fear immunity.
    Humans extra feat, no stat penalties/bonuses, healing amp, yay..

Your build and personal preference is going to determine the best race for your final rogue life build.

I think the best advice that I've read on these forums, can be paraphrased as follows:

If you're 99% of the way there, grinding out that last 1% isn't going to make a significant difference.

One final note, you're likely to invest heavily in your other enhancements so, and i'm guessing, you'll likely only have 10-15 points to spend, less if you go pure and get capstone.

Also, make sure you own the build you're in, because (at least for me), playing a cookie cutter or FoTM build is no fun.
    Last edited by RoguemcStabby; 03-28-2014 at 03:19 PM.

one way to help figure this out is to determine how many APs you will have available for Racial Enhancements

If you won't have enough for the Enhancements that you feel will make a difference then that could help narrow down the right race for you.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Someone failed their "Spot:Thread Necro" roll, I'm just not sure who.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    Someone failed their "Spot:Thread Necro" roll, I'm just not sure who.
    +1

Community Member

Drow are very underrated as Rogues. Every stat boost will help you. +2 CHA? Yay, more UMD! +2 INT? Yay, better Search/DD! +2 DEX? Yay, less points needed for GTWF! Only downside is -2 CON, which doesn't help Rogue's low HP. However, it's still not crippling, especially on a 3rd+lifer.