Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 39
  1. #1
    Uber Completionist luvirini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,378

    Default Pay to win to happen in WOW too..

    It is just not Turbine that sells ottos boxes.. Blizzard will start to do simila thing in WOW too.

    As in: Pay $60 to get you character to level cap.

    http://wow.joystiq.com/2014/02/18/le...ervers-for-60/

    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...haracter-boost

  2. #2
    Community Member Nestroy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Europe, and proud of it
    Posts
    3,063

    Default

    Funny. Since WoW still IS p2p only. Seems they loose players too fast and now have to milk for the last of it.

    Welll, no good trend for MMOs at the moment. We will have to wait until the dust has settled and then the industry will have to be built anew.

    Perhaps then we can get a DDO 2?

  3. #3
    Community Member DogMania's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Near Dover ,England
    Posts
    596

    Default

    Hum, Who gives a toss about another game and why are you posting that here?

  4. #4
    Community Member Rakuda13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    309

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nestroy View Post
    Funny. Since WoW still IS p2p only. Seems they loose players too fast and now have to milk for the last of it.

    Welll, no good trend for MMOs at the moment. We will have to wait until the dust has settled and then the industry will have to be built anew.

    Perhaps then we can get a DDO 2?
    WOW is free to play,I made an account when DDO was down.

  5. #5
    Community Member Nestroy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Europe, and proud of it
    Posts
    3,063

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rakuda13 View Post
    WOW is free to play,I made an account when DDO was down.
    Yeah, a short-timed test version. Buha, buha!

    F2P is any game that does not charge money for continuous play. WoW is even worse than DDO - in DDO I can grind out and farm the TP necessary to buy most of the packs and ammenities. DDO just makes it much easier to get anywhere by paying for it. In WoW I have to pay for playing longer than a couple of days AND I have to pay extra for a lot of features or ammenities...

  6. #6
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    6,907

    Default

    Hasn't WOW always been this way except the sales were player-to-player?

    My only experience with WOW was playing the card game. I tried it out because the tournaments were packed so I thought it must be a great game. I finally figured out people were only playing to get some in-game items and the card game itself wasn't so good. I do remember people telling me they were selling in-game items for over $100 at that time. I don't know if it's within the WOW rules or not, but people have been buying character power for a long time in that game and as I understand the power gained is much higher with those items than what you would get from an Otto's box or anything in the DDO store. And this was 7 years ago I think.

    Again, I never actually played the game, I just picked this up from talking to people playing the card game for the 2 months I played it several years ago.
    CC Casting Druid: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...C-Summer-Build
    Shiradi Wiz Plan for 1st Lifers: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...r-First-Lifers
    LE Capable Int Assassin - U29: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...Assassin-Build
    Warlock DC Caster: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...ld-Blast-Build

    Several characters on Sarlona all starting with "Rand" in the Guild "Guardians of House Cannith". My main four characters are Randowl (20 Warlock EA DPS Build), Randslar (Bard 14 / Fighter 4 / Rogue 2 Swashbuckler), Randek (Druid CC Caster 17/Fvs 3) and Randomall (Rogue 20 assassin).

  7. #7
    2014 DDO Players Council Flavilandile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    France
    Posts
    3,792
    On G-Land : Flavilandile, Blacklock, Yaelle, Millishande, Larilandile, Gildalinde, Tenalafel, and many other...

  8. #8
    Community Member shores11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    2,188

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nestroy View Post
    Funny. Since WoW still IS p2p only. Seems they loose players too fast and now have to milk for the last of it.

    Welll, no good trend for MMOs at the moment. We will have to wait until the dust has settled and then the industry will have to be built anew.

    Perhaps then we can get a DDO 2?
    No to DDO 2 and WoW is no longer completely p2p. You can play up to a certain level free.
    Fizban - Avatar of Khyber
    Guild Leader of Legends: Where adventurers are born & Legends live.

  9. #9
    Community Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    182

    Default

    I believe the MMO popularity is failing with every day.
    People are less and less willing to pay for an MMO in any business model just so they would play with the same type of jerks they meet in real life for free.
    i know a decade ago it was a big thing that you could play with a guy from the other side of the world, but it turned out that the same ******** inhabit that part of earth too. The magic is gone.
    The new MMOs coming out are all new and flash, but don't really provide any different playing experience, just bigger boobs, skimpier higher res armor.
    Slowly people start to understand that better graphics not = better game.

  10. #10
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    6,907

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ulgabi View Post
    I believe the MMO popularity is failing with every day.
    People are less and less willing to pay for an MMO in any business model just so they would play with the same type of jerks they meet in real life for free.
    i know a decade ago it was a big thing that you could play with a guy from the other side of the world, but it turned out that the same ******** inhabit that part of earth too. The magic is gone.
    The new MMOs coming out are all new and flash, but don't really provide any different playing experience, just bigger boobs, skimpier higher res armor.
    Slowly people start to understand that better graphics not = better game.
    Thank handheld devices.

    The growth in the social game industry will be on handheld devices and not the PC. This has more to do with technology evolution than anything else. I don't think the MMO companies failed as much as the technology platform they used became less significant before the industry every peaked. Even if they did everything right they will continue to attract less new people.

    It amaze me that so many new pc games continue to be made, but I guess there is still money in the market just alot less potential.
    CC Casting Druid: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...C-Summer-Build
    Shiradi Wiz Plan for 1st Lifers: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...r-First-Lifers
    LE Capable Int Assassin - U29: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...Assassin-Build
    Warlock DC Caster: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...ld-Blast-Build

    Several characters on Sarlona all starting with "Rand" in the Guild "Guardians of House Cannith". My main four characters are Randowl (20 Warlock EA DPS Build), Randslar (Bard 14 / Fighter 4 / Rogue 2 Swashbuckler), Randek (Druid CC Caster 17/Fvs 3) and Randomall (Rogue 20 assassin).

  11. #11
    Community Member Nestroy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Europe, and proud of it
    Posts
    3,063

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by slarden View Post
    Thank handheld devices.

    The growth in the social game industry will be on handheld devices and not the PC. This has more to do with technology evolution than anything else. I don't think the MMO companies failed as much as the technology platform they used became less significant before the industry every peaked. Even if they did everything right they will continue to attract less new people.

    It amaze me that so many new pc games continue to be made, but I guess there is still money in the market just alot less potential.
    I think it is not time yet for a true handheld device MMO, even if programming should not be the issue. The MMO industry simpl ahas not yet found out that handheld exist for gaming purposes and the handheld industry simply has not yet foudn out MMO exist. Let´s wait for the first to enter this market and be successful. And I still wait for Second Life 2.0 on handhelds and for The Sims to be available on handhelds as well.

    Well, that would be an industry.

  12. #12
    Community Member Chilldude's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1,607

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by luvirini View Post
    As in: Pay $60 to get you character to level cap.
    In order to pay 2 win, in my opinion at least, you need to win from paying. Ottoboxes, as well as the lvl 90 boost you linked, are pay not to play at best, or more appropriately pay to loose.

    You simply don't win anything at all. In DDO, an arcade game with powerups, sure, you get a very small powerup , a single past life powerup that is so weak there would be no way to tell you had the powerup without specifically looking at past life feats.

    In WoW, getting to cap isn't much more difficult than in DDO. Just like DDO, it's simply a matter of time. An inevitability, a foregone conclusion, there is no winning by getting to cap. Further still, there are no powerups for grinding in WOW at all, much less stacking past life powerups.

    I see no pay 2 win here.

  13. #13
    Community Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    182

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by slarden View Post
    Thank handheld devices.

    The growth in the social game industry will be on handheld devices and not the PC. This has more to do with technology evolution than anything else. I don't think the MMO companies failed as much as the technology platform they used became less significant before the industry every peaked. Even if they did everything right they will continue to attract less new people.

    It amaze me that so many new pc games continue to be made, but I guess there is still money in the market just alot less potential.
    Wouldn't people play the same MMOs on the same web just on hand held devices?
    Are you saying that people will rather play **** touch phone/tablet games like angry birds instead of stuff like skyrim?
    I hate this world.

  14. #14
    Bacon Queen MadCookieQueen's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where Ash goes, I go
    Posts
    1,564

    Default

    Not shocked at the news, we'll see more and more of this.

    However if Blizzard wants to borrow form DDO then can DDO learn from Blizzard....the Diablo 3 auction house (real money...like astral shards are real money) is shutting down March 18th. they realized it was just bad for business all around and made the game unbalancing and players were missing the fun of treasure hunting.


    Just a thought.

  15. #15
    Community Member Teh_Troll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Under the bridge
    Posts
    5,874

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MadCookieQueen View Post
    Not shocked at the news, we'll see more and more of this.

    However if Blizzard wants to borrow form DDO then can DDO learn from Blizzard....the Diablo 3 auction house (real money...like astral shards are real money) is shutting down March 18th. they realized it was just bad for business all around and made the game unbalancing and players were missing the fun of treasure hunting.


    Just a thought.
    Noes! I needs to pillage the n00bs with my outrageous prices.

  16. #16
    Community Member Ryiah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    2,866

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by luvirini View Post
    Blizzard will start to do simila thing in WOW too.
    You could already have this done by third parties. Blizzard is simply cutting out the third parties, and any risk those third parties typically carried with them, with this decision.
    Ryiah | Raeyah | Reikara
    Toy Soldiers

  17. #17
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,707

    Default

    Getting to top level in WoW has nothing to do with P2W.

    In fact, for most the game really starts at top level. Evertime a next expension comes, all the previous content is usually getting a big nerf. Also, once you've leveled up once, there's not much replayability unless you really choose different zones to level... but even there, pretty much the same experience with a different skill bar. Target, click, move on.
    Kal Vas Flam... Corp Por... Corp Por

    ...And then there was silence

  18. #18
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    6,907

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nestroy View Post
    I think it is not time yet for a true handheld device MMO, even if programming should not be the issue. The MMO industry simpl ahas not yet found out that handheld exist for gaming purposes and the handheld industry simply has not yet foudn out MMO exist. Let´s wait for the first to enter this market and be successful. And I still wait for Second Life 2.0 on handhelds and for The Sims to be available on handhelds as well.

    Well, that would be an industry.
    I don't think MMOs work well on handheld devices except for maybe tablets. At some point in the last decade the use of handheld devices started to exceed the usage of PCs and that trend is continuing at a faster pace every year. The issue is that the people in high school / college today are more comfortable with handheld devices so more of them will play games on handheld devices - but they aren't MMOs. That is a big reason the MMO market is shrinking. There is and has always has been attrition, but each year less new people enter the MMO space. That is the problem DDO, WOW and every game is facing. An MMO that is growing is doing so mostly by attracting players from other MMOs - not many brand new MMO players.

    Time marches on....

    I remember thinking GENIE was fantastic 23 year ago because it connected me with face-to-face gamers around the globe. There was nothing else like it at the time, but it didn't survive the technology evolution that happened over the next few years.
    CC Casting Druid: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...C-Summer-Build
    Shiradi Wiz Plan for 1st Lifers: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...r-First-Lifers
    LE Capable Int Assassin - U29: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...Assassin-Build
    Warlock DC Caster: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...ld-Blast-Build

    Several characters on Sarlona all starting with "Rand" in the Guild "Guardians of House Cannith". My main four characters are Randowl (20 Warlock EA DPS Build), Randslar (Bard 14 / Fighter 4 / Rogue 2 Swashbuckler), Randek (Druid CC Caster 17/Fvs 3) and Randomall (Rogue 20 assassin).

  19. #19
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    857

    Default

    Everybody who played wow knows getting to the lvl cap is peanuts in comparison to
    Ddo also you dnt need to reincarnate and reach the lvl cap again doing the same monotounos thing
    That game got actual content and lore that they bring out for the community

    Adv pack there is 40 euros and gets you

    New models
    New continent
    New items
    New lv cap
    New game modes
    New awesomem lore
    New cities
    Multiple raids with multiple tier bosses
    Multiple quests and instances
    Worldbosses
    New class
    New race

    Adv pack in ddo

    4 quests 1 explorer area
    And 1 manbearpig pet for 80 dollars

  20. #20
    Community Member Lauf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    644

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bartosy View Post
    Everybody who played wow knows ...
    That game got actual content and lore that they bring out for the community
    I think that ship has sailed when they decided to introduce kong-fu pandas

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload