Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Lvl 24 Rogue hires are useless

EE Partycrashers and the lvl24 rogue hire can't find find the traps, why is this so? Can the devs not make a trapper that can find traps?
    The Arms Of Orien
    Dokalfar - Jhanjra - Khlaryssa - XiaNYdE - Tammin Burfoot
    In a way, we are magicians. We are alchemists, sorcerers and wizards. We are a very strange bunch. But there is great fun in being a wizard. -Billy Joel

Community Member

Rogue hires can rarely find/disable tough traps. But there are a number of traps in that quest that cannot be disarmed (mostly the force spikes).

Quote Originally Posted by XiaNYdE View Post
    EE Partycrashers and the lvl24 rogue hire can't find find the traps, why is this so? Can the devs not make a trapper that can find traps?
    NVM im dumb
    Last edited by Qhualor; 02-23-2014 at 11:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Qhualor View Post
    do you now where the trap boxes are so he can find the traps? the boxes are not by the wheels. they are in tents and behind tents.
    Think you mixed Partycrashers with Big Top ...
    Proud member of Lotusfly's squelch list!

Quote Originally Posted by XiaNYdE View Post
    First, for my opinion on hires in general I agree fully with the 3rd quote in my sig.

Second, for doing traps at level on elite, many players need some boosts. Take your Rogue hire back in there, and this time give it a little love in the form of Foxes Cunning and Greater Heroism, maybe even a Prayer clicky for the luck bonus; see if that helps.

If at this point your thinking it's pretty sad that a pure Rogue hire can't perform comparatively to my 1 level Trap splash builds with a base Int of 13, you're right. But hey, they're just hires after all...
    Now excuse me while I wander off to arm myself with Grilled Cheese Sandwiches and hunker down behind my Armored Beer Refrigerator, while I have the UFO's take control of the Congresional Wives with the help of the International Cocaine Smugglers and the Evil Geniuses for a Better Tomorrow

I dont know about traps but the lv 24 can open ee locks.
    Through avarice, evil smiles; through insanity, it sings.

Default They Can

Yes, they can disable them. Make sure you have augment summoning and some druid lives. If you don't have that, then you are a gimp and also a noob. :P

I've said for a long time that rogue hirelings should all be specced to find and disable traps and open locks. Skill Boost should be on their hotbar.

No one should need to take augment summoning in order to have a TP-bought hireling be better than useless. When people spend TP on a rogue hireling, they do it so they can find and disarm traps. Like all hirelings, they are nearly useless in all other ways, so why not have them able to do the one thing people buy them for?
    All on Thelanis: Archenpaul Sixblade, Archernicus Thornwood, Gregorovic Redcloak, Hermanius Brightblade, Jaklomeo Evermug, Jonathraxius Kane, and Praetoreus Silvershield.

Cogito ergo summopere periculosus.

Quote Originally Posted by mobrien316 View Post
    I've said for a long time that rogue hirelings should all be specced to find and disable traps and open locks. Skill Boost should be on their hotbar.

No one should need to take augment summoning in order to have a TP-bought hireling be better than useless. When people spend TP on a rogue hireling, they do it so they can find and disarm traps. Like all hirelings, they are nearly useless in all other ways, so why not have them able to do the one thing people buy them for?
    I would like to say that you are a noob gimp, maybe not as much as me but still, come on now. Hires were never intended to do EE, unless they have buffs. Do you really want it to be that easy?

Quote Originally Posted by dragondragondragon View Post
    I would like to say that you are a noob gimp, maybe not as much as me but still, come on now. Hires were never intended to do EE, unless they have buffs. Do you really want it to be that easy?
    Hires are already virtually useless, especially in EE. I hardly think it is gamebreaking to have the ability to buy a rogue hireling (which is only available for TP, not for plats) in order to do traps and have that hireling actually able to do traps.
    All on Thelanis: Archenpaul Sixblade, Archernicus Thornwood, Gregorovic Redcloak, Hermanius Brightblade, Jaklomeo Evermug, Jonathraxius Kane, and Praetoreus Silvershield.

Community Member

Hires are already virtually useless, especially in EE. I hardly think it is gamebreaking to have the ability to buy a rogue hireling (which is only available for TP, not for plats) in order to do traps and have that hireling actually able to do traps.
    Actually, you can buy Rogue hires in Eveningstar for plat. Also, i think its fair enough that a Hireling needs to have some boosting in the form of GH or other buffs to get the EE traps. EH? sure they should be able to (and can) get the traps without the buffs, but on EE it should take a little more planning / investment.

There is no Epic hireling in the DDO store that is different from the ones you can buy with plat. If you are talking heroic hirelings, then you could use random loot like gloves of heroism and it works fine.

I see it differently.

Rogue hirelings are bought to do traps. That's it. If you bought a cleric hireling and had to buff them before they could heal or raise anyone, I'd think that was poor planning/design and should be changed. If you buy a rogue hireling and they can't do traps without Augment Summons or buffs, I think that is poor planning/design and should be changed.

I see it differently.

Rogue hirelings are bought to do traps. That's it. If you bought a cleric hireling and had to buff them before they could heal or raise anyone, I'd think that was poor planning/design and should be changed. If you buy a rogue hireling and they can't do traps without Augment Summons or buffs, I think that is poor planning/design and should be changed.
    The hirelings can do traps, but they are not designed to take the place of a live rogue (and i dont mean just the Ai part), so its no wonder they cant do EE traps unbuffed.
    Dystopia = utopia achieved

I see it differently.

For me, the poor planning/design from Turbine is when they made rogue hirelings bought by TP, combined with other issues like dungeon scaling. If we are simply talking about hirelings in general, bought with platinum, then I would seriously question why anyone should expect a bot to be an effective contributor to EE quests. So sure, eH, eN, bots should be able to help you through the quest. But lets reserve at least one difficulty in this game to be completed only by competent players running in groups or able to fill specialized roles on their own, like trapping, without the aid of bots. This is supposed to be an MMO after all.

Also, I believe 21+ rogues can be bought in-game without shards/TP, just not heroic rogues (correct me if wrong), if that's not the case, then this is really a Turbine screw-up. If it is the case that epic rogues can be bought in plat (havent' checked) then I have less sympathy for the OP complaint, though I would like to see heroic rogues bought by plat too. Such a specialized role shouldn't be so clearly pay gated when others aren't.
    Kobold never forgive....kobold remember waterworks.

Quote Originally Posted by KookieKobold View Post
    i'll be putting a bug into our system.

Quote Originally Posted by dragondragondragon View Post
    Yes, they can disable them. Make sure you have augment summoning and some druid lives. If you don't have that, then you are a gimp and also a noob. :P
    The astounding quality of your insights have caused me to wonder... Did you by chance formerly post under a different zNamez?
    Now excuse me while I wander off to arm myself with Grilled Cheese Sandwiches and hunker down behind my Armored Beer Refrigerator, while I have the UFO's take control of the Congresional Wives with the help of the International Cocaine Smugglers and the Evil Geniuses for a Better Tomorrow

Get an epic Roderik's wand, equip it at the start of the dungeon when you summon your hireling. Then take it off and forget about it. You don't need to be able to hit the huge UMD score needed to summon up the pointless monsters in order to get the augment summon benefit.
    I am the 'Who' In the call "Who's there!?"
    I am the wind blowing through your hair.
    I am the shadow on the moon at night, filling your dreams to the brim with fright.

I see it differently.

That's what happened a couple years ago. People complained because they had to buff up hires to get at level runes and traps. Some couldnt even do specific tasks even after being buffed and not everyone will have the ability to buff hires either. Hires are meant to be a convenience item for players that solo/short man and want them to perform certain roles in their group. Changes were made in the past so hires can do what they are bought for as long as its at least at level, so if this level 24 rogue is unable to find level 22 trap boxes unbuffed than I would say soon(tm) it will be fixed.

Its a pure rogue, why would he need any buffs to find traps.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan_Milic View Post
    Its a pure rogue, why would he need any buffs to find traps.
    Its also a hireling, it needs buffs to figure out what end the food goes in.
    Dystopia = utopia achieved

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast