Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Community Member

Default I would like to purpose a change in terminology.

I have noticed that a number of players have started using the term hamster wheel.
    This is a descriptive term that illustrates the cyclical grind of the TR process.

I find this term degrading to human dignity because hamster wheels are for animals and not just any animal but rodents no less. Therefore I would like to suggest changing hamster wheel to treadmill.

Treadmills are dignified objects for overweight humans and do not have the pejorative connotations that hamster wheel does.
    So when describing mind numbing cyclical grinds please use the term treadmill.

You mammals are all the same anyway, at least that's what I learned from watching Richard Gere movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Darthsarlacc View Post
    I have noticed that a number of players have started using the term hamster wheel.
    This is a descriptive term that illustrates the cyclical grind of the TR process.

I find this term degrading to human dignity because hamster wheels are for animals and not just any animal but rodents no less. Therefore I would like to suggest changing hamster wheel to treadmill.

Treadmills are dignified objects for overweight humans and do not have the pejorative connotations that hamster wheel does.
    Are you trying to be sarcastic? Or taking a stab at a little satire?

If not, then I think you've missed the point here--"hamster wheel" is used because has pejorative, degrading connotations.

Why should a less unpleasant term be used to describe something that is "mind numbing"? Also, the wheel fits better with the cyclical nature of the grind than does a treadmill.
    Useful links: A Guide to Using a Gamepad w/ DDO / All Caster Shroud, Hard Shroud, VoD, ToD Einhander, Elochka, Ferrumrym, Ferrumdermis, Ferrumshot, Ferrumblood, Ferrumender, Ferrumshadow, Ferrumschtik All proud officers of The Loreseekers. Except Bruucelee, he's a Sentinel!

What exactly is your purpose?

I propose to rename porpoise because it is hard to spell. Yes, I did that on purpose.

So is it monkey treadmill now? Or primate treadmill? Higher form of life and exercise equipment and all that.

Community Member

Both terms are used to illustrate constant effort to reach more. I'd also prefer the hamster wheel over the treadmill, because the hamster in its wheel and from its perspective thinks to steadily move up the career ladder. How to illustrate this with the treadmill?

Quote Originally Posted by Lanhelin View Post
    Both terms are used to illustrate constant effort to reach more. I'd also prefer the hamster wheel over the treadmill, because the hamster in its wheel and from its perspective thinks to steadily move up the career ladder. How to illustrate this with the treadmill?
    Easy. Set the treadmill on a 45 degree incline.
    "Why is stuff so hard?" - William Murderface

So when describing mind numbing cyclical grinds .
    So. What you are saying... Hamster wheels are fine for rodents, of apparent any health... And treadmills are of only use to obese humans....

methinks the mind numbing description has uglier roots OP.

/four paws down

Quote Originally Posted by NaturalHazard View Post
    So is it monkey treadmill now? Or primate treadmill? Higher form of life and exercise equipment and all that.
    I'll stick with my original mammal theory.

This post offends me as a 57kg person who practices on a treadmill just to stay healthy, not only you said I'm a "overweight human" but also said it was a "numbling" and "cyclical grind" (which also offends cyclists and forefoot runners).
    I'm waiting for a formal apology.
    Last edited by Nayus; 02-21-2014 at 09:56 AM.

Hamster wheel is the more apt and evocative phrase befitting the matter, so I'll still use it - degrading to human dignity or not.

2015 DDO Players Council
    Ravenguard Press

Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    You mammals are all the same anyway, at least that's what I learned from watching Richard Gere movies.
    Interesting you would bring up Richard Gere in the same topic of Hamsters... Gerbils, whatever
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    MuleAxe (Triple Completionist) | MuleSticker | MuleRaptor | MuleFort | MuleParts

Quote Originally Posted by MuleAxe View Post
    Interesting you would bring up Richard Gere in the same topic of Hamsters... Gerbils, whatever
    If you find it interesting I won't judge you. Mammals is as mammals does.

I would like to propose we return to utilizing a word that long ago was more than sufficient to describe endless, futile, retributive toil: i.e. sisyphean. These johnny-come-lately phrases like "hamster wheel" and "treadmill" fail to capture in the slightest all the emotional, historical and visceral imagery implied by my suggestion.

I do realize I'm suggesting an adjective over a noun which, according to modern predilections, is to be avoided. However, simply because recent vernacular has all but entirely relegated adjectives to the land of pejorative exclamations is no reason to abandon such a thoroughly correct and requisite word.

Good day.
    The newest computer can merely compound, at speed, the oldest problem in the relations between human beings, and in the end the communicator will be confronted with the old problem, of what to say and how to say it. - Edward R. Murrow (1964)

2015 DDO Players Council
    Ravenguard Press

Quote Originally Posted by sebastianosmith View Post
    I would like to propose we return to utilizing a word that long ago was more than sufficient to describe endless, futile, retributive toil: i.e. sisyphean. These johnny-come-lately phrases like "hamster wheel" and "treadmill" fail to capture in the slightest all the emotional, historical and visceral imagery implied by my suggestion.

I do realize I'm suggesting an adjective over a noun which, according to modern predilections, is to be avoided. However, simply because recent vernacular has all but entirely relegated adjectives to the land of pejorative exclamations is no reason to abandon such a thoroughly correct and requisite word.

Good day.
    Thread killer
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    MuleAxe (Triple Completionist) | MuleSticker | MuleRaptor | MuleFort | MuleParts

Quote Originally Posted by MuleAxe View Post
    Thread killer
    Vole smasher.
    The newest computer can merely compound, at speed, the oldest problem in the relations between human beings, and in the end the communicator will be confronted with the old problem, of what to say and how to say it. - Edward R. Murrow (1964)

2015 DDO Players Council
    Ravenguard Press

Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    If you find it interesting I won't judge you. Mammals is as mammals does.
    Mammal: a warm-blooded vertebrate animal of a class that is distinguished by the possession of hair or fur, the secretion of milk by females for the nourishment of the young, and (typically) the birth of live young.

You, sir... are one of us

2015 DDO Players Council
    Ravenguard Press

Quote Originally Posted by sebastianosmith View Post
    Vole smasher.
    Perhaps, but only for population control

It is said that one day a game developer was watching Arnie playing Conan the Barbarian. In the scene where he goes from child to man pushing a millstone around in a circle the idea for MORPGs was born.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast