Community Member Charltonsexton's Avatar

Default Lvl 24 Mostly Solo Player, Never Raided, I Want In!

I'm lvl 24 Enchantment focus Archmage/Magister who has pretty much soloed until this point. Sure there was the occasional group (Gianthold Tor, Tears of Dhakan etc), but mostly I've cc'd my way to Eveningstar content. Raids look like a lot of fun, especially Shroud, and I want to run it. Anybody specialize in breaking in newbs? Any channels I should join? I'm flagged for damn near everything except not yet Vault. My guild usually raids on weekends which until recently, I've always worked. Any suggestions?

Community Member

I would suggest joining Titan and Social (/joinchannel Titan and /joinchannel Social), they are both open channels that people post open raid spots in.

Default Welcome to the Orien Raiding Scene

Welcome to raiding, one of the most enjoyable aspects of ddo. Even if not in a hardcore raiding guild you can still get in on raiding in Orien via the LFM panel and channels. Many of us would be more than happy to help you get used to things and join in on the fun! To begin with, certain raids post right away in the LFM panel and are joinable most evenings, but others are best run in experienced groups which form in certain open channels. To begin with, the following raids often post for open groups in the LFM panel starting around 4pm EST most days and going through about 12pm EST.

1) Vault of the Night
    2) Shroud
    3) Fall of Truth
    4) Caught in the Web

Most of these groups are open to new players unless otherwise stated in the LFM, so feel free to join in if flagged, and just ask for help if you don't know what to do. Most people are friendly and most good leaders want to help you to succeed.

Aside from this, as mentioned previously, many other raid groups form in public channels before posting to the LFM. The most important of these is the Titan Channel (to join, simply type in /joinchannel titan). This channel forms the basis for several raids run by Item of Epic Fail, whose runs are always friendly and geared towards helping newer raiders learn the elite version of the raid. For all runs reservations are taken in the channel, and if the group is not full it will be filled via the LFM panel.

The weekly Titan Schedule is as follows-

1) Monday nights (8pm EST)- Hound of Xoriat, Vision of Destruction, and Tower of Despair (this last run is hosted by myself or Haelton based upon availability) in that order.
    2) Tuesday nights (8pm EST)- The Twilight Forge/The Titan Awakes, The Ascension Chamber (Abbott Raid). The latter raid runs between three and five runs, so if you arent in an earlier one it is easy to get into a later one.
    3) Saturday afternoon (2pm EST)- Flagging runs for the Titan Raid.
    4) Saturday afternoon (5pm EST)- Same Schedule as Tuesday

The other channels which can be relevant are the social channel (/joinchannel social), where raids are formed often in an informal way before going up on the LFM panel, the Raid Channel (/joinchannel Raid), and, for advanced players, the cORe (/joinchannel cORe shovel) channel. The cORe channel is where open raid spots for Over Raided, one of the premier raiding guilds on Orien, are announced. OR's runs are always smooth, professional, and pleasant, but you should probably get some experience first before joining them as they are an elite group of people. They tend to run raids around 4pm EST on many days, and spots are only announced if there are open ones after the rest are filled by OR guildies. The Raid channel has focused on running the Lord of Blades and Master Articifer raids, and are led by Mahalko of the Support guild. Mahalko hasn't always been running these raids as consistently as he used to, but they have been picking up again.

The weekly schedule for the Raid channel is as follows-

1) Wednesday nights (4pm PST)- The Lord of Blades, Master Articifer or Fall of Truth
    2) Saturday nights (4pm EST)- Same Schedule as Wednesday.

So there is access for you to much of the regular raiding on Orien. Hope that helps and see you in the raids!
    Main- Carrianne Taliesin Elven Fighter 12/Ranger 6/Rogue 2 Tempest AA, Orien

Community Member Charltonsexton's Avatar

Default Newly Raided

Wow thanks for the suggestions guys. I appreciate the schedule, Leclaire. I ran VON yesterday and it was a lot of fun! We wiped on Plane of Night, and I wasn't aware there was no end reward after Vault until I checked the Wiki- I kept thinking I missed something.
    Anyway, I've experience lag often enough in the game, but the lag during the raid was pretty serious. Is that just par for the course in raids?

Quote Originally Posted by Charltonsexton View Post
    Wow thanks for the suggestions guys. I appreciate the schedule, Leclaire. I ran VON yesterday and it was a lot of fun! We wiped on Plane of Night, and I wasn't aware there was no end reward after Vault until I checked the Wiki- I kept thinking I missed something.
    Anyway, I've experience lag often enough in the game, but the lag during the raid was pretty serious. Is that just par for the course in raids?
    No problem, happy to help. I wouldn't say that raids are typically more laggy than any other ddo content- its just that in some instances (killing stuff at the same time) where the consequences are particularly bad. On raids without a pre leaders sometimes instance check to avoid i2049 (thought be some to be an especially laggy instance) though this is controversial and not universally agreed upon. Nonetheless, keep on raiding, it won't always be that bad.
    Main- Carrianne Taliesin Elven Fighter 12/Ranger 6/Rogue 2 Tempest AA, Orien