Default Sorc/FVS/Paladin vs. Sorc/FVS/Monk

I've been playing a 14/4/2 split with the two being Paladin and it's been going pretty nicely so far. The massive saves from the paladin levels has been pretty fancy, but lately I've been considering swapping those levels for monk to get the evasion and some feats.

Looking for some input from people who might have tried it with 2 monk in that type of split (if any). I love the 4 FVS levels for the bonus spellcraft and the extra 4% crit it grants me, and don't really feel a need to get 2 more levels in either sorc or FVS for how the build feels at this point, so am looking for the best bet with those 2 levels I have "floating"

Thanks,

-JJ

The question that has to be answered is which brings more for you:

Paladin
    Aura of Good - This Paladin class feature grants a +1 bonus to AC and saving throws to all allies within range.
    Divine Grace - a Paladin gains a bonus equal to his or her Charisma modifier (if not negative) on all saving throws.
    Lay on Hands (1 Per Rest)
    Spell Point Bonus (Paladin)
    Smite Evil (1 Per Rest)
    +3 Fort Save

vs

Monk
    Flurry of Blows
    Unarmed Strike
    2 Martial Arts Feats
    Finishing moves
    AC Bonus
    Evasion
    Meditation
    +3 Fort / +3 Ref / +3 Will

Now considering Melee is not something you may want in your build so the value of Smite and blows and finishing moves and even Ki may be zero.

Now as a sorcerer you will generally have a pretty high charisma so you are benefiting quite a bit from the Paladin's Divine Grace ability (ie a 40 Charisma = +15 Saves). So one of the first things you need to evaluate is if the reduced saves of going Monk will still mean Evasion is useful. And this will be highly dependent on what content you will be running.

Additionally you need to consider if you spend any AP in the Paladin Tree and what benefits you receive from those - Maybe something along the lines of Extra LoH.

The Extra Feats you get are limited to the Martial Arts Feats so it is not the Full List(http://ddowiki.com/page/Martial_arts_feats). So the next question is can your build benefit from them as most of them deal with Melee and Ranged fighting or with AC/Dodge or Toughness. Toughness does equal more HP but if all you are getting with the extra feats is 2 toughness I don't think that is a Good trade for the saves you lost.

Community Member

Considering the pretty poor base reflex saves of sorcerers I would consider Monk without Paladin pretty useless as you can't get your Reflex up high enough for Evasion to even work.

So in my opinion sorc 14 fvs 4 pally 2 would be superior to sorc 14 fvs 4 mnk 2.

Thank you both. That's exactly what I was looking for. I took a break from playing for a while and only logged in to keep my apps up to date so I'm way out of my element with knowledge for saves and such required for EE (or even just EH content). Knowing that getting my saves up enough for evasion to be "worth it" without Paladin will (most likely) be an exercise in futility is the guidance I was hoping to get.

Thank you,

-JJ

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by jjflanigan View Post
    I've been playing a 14/4/2 split with the two being Paladin and it's been going pretty nicely so far. The massive saves from the paladin levels has been pretty fancy, but lately I've been considering swapping those levels for monk to get the evasion and some feats.

Looking for some input from people who might have tried it with 2 monk in that type of split (if any). I love the 4 FVS levels for the bonus spellcraft and the extra 4% crit it grants me, and don't really feel a need to get 2 more levels in either sorc or FVS for how the build feels at this point, so am looking for the best bet with those 2 levels I have "floating"

Thanks,

-JJ
    Have u thought abou t going 16/2/2 Sorc/pala/monk.

I just got my WF sorc to 28 and i have 60+ saves and thanx to evasion i never get hit (took Epic reflex to cancle auto fail save when rolled a 1) Also went with the sharadi ED and with that maxed out by 3k sp lasts a very long time, as all im reli using are things like Force and scorching Ray.