Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Intergalactic Space Crusader Livmo's Avatar

Default EE Lord Sable ~ My Prefered and Favorite Way to Kill The Beast. Spoiler Alert

Greetings All,

Foremost to all the folks that had a role in making Study in Sable happen I want to thank you very much for this quest. It’s one of my all-time favorite quests in DDO.

The end fight with Lord Sable on Epic Elite can be very challenging or very simple depending on how you handle the end fight in my experience. The end fight is one of my favorite parts this quest. I want to share my preferred method for handling Lord Sable here, since I’m unable to make a video at this time. I encourage you to share your thoughts and methods in this thread, because I will not be including every detail.

I won’t be discussing the rats in this post. Just how I prefer to handle Lord Sable himself in a Pick Up Group (PUG).

I want to point out that two of the traditional methods for boss fights and other fights in DDO that allot of folks use do not translate well in dealing with Lord Sable in the end fight. You may or may not find what I have to say to by iconoclastic, but that is my aim here. I want to break the old pillars of knowledge and shift your paradigm regarding how you deal with Lord Sable in a group/PUG*.

First, nobody in the PUG is going to be able to grab and hold Lord Sable’s aggro. His aggro shifts at random. For example, the method of a tank holding the Stormreaver’s aggro in Fall of Truth does not apply here. Lord Sable will randomly shift aggro and run around from one player to another. Folks are often times surprised when they haven’t attacked or done anything to Lord Sable and he runs across the room and cleaves them to death. His spells can be nasty too (web, etc.) The key point here is that he runs around the room and his aggro shifts randomly from player to player regardless if you are active or passive.

Second, group kiting does not translate well here either. Having players spread out and running around is going to cause Lord Sable to do the same, as his aggro shifts randomly from player to player. For the most part group kiting is bad. However, you can kite in a small close knit area (see pic below) once you become comfortable in dealing with Lord Sable. The key point here is that spread out players that are constantly moving causes Sable to do the same. This is where he will take down the party with ease as he taunts you.

Hopefully we all know that he has to die in the light and that breaking the pillars lets in the light, and harms/weakens him. You can choose to break all 3 pillars or just the middle one in the picture below. If you kill Sable in the dark you get to fight him again and again if you keep killing him in the dark, etc. On a side note, if the party wipes and folks take too long to get back in and start hitting him again, he will slowly regenerate. The key point here is to fight him in the light and kill him in the light. This can be very hard to do if he keeps moving around the room at random, as his aggro shifts at random.

So how do you take down Lord Sable when he runs around randomly changing aggro? How can we make the unpredictable predictable? My preferred method to do this in group/PUG is to stop Lord Sable from moving around and keep him in the light. This is gonna hurt to do, but it can be simple and fast.

The key to stopping Sable from moving around all over the place as his aggro shifts is to keep the group clustered together. He won’t run very far when his aggro shifts, because we are all together in the same spot/area of the room when we fight him. Preferably in the middle on top in the light.

In the picture below I’ve encircled the area in red where I like to take him down. This is on top and NOT the bottom of the room, although there is light in both places. In my experience the middle pillar area works great and you can take advantage of the ledge in several ways to get him off you and keep hitting him, and it will work for solo as well. However, I will leave the ledge, jumping out and back in, hanging and pull up, sides, and such for your own journey of discovery. The goal here is to stress that the group/PUG needs to pin him in the middle on top where the middle pillar used to be after it was destroyed. The group needs to cluster up, so when his aggro shifts randomly from player to player he doesn’t move far out of the light, or at all from that little area. I made the red circle a little wide for those that would be comfortable kiting in a small area, where they remain close to the group fighting so there is not much movement from Sable.

People are gonna die. Lord Sable is a beast, as he should be. The healer in the party should stay as close to the group/cluster as possible, but maybe a smidgeon to the side and cast mass heals on the group since we will all be taking damage. We will all be in close together and mass heals will cover the group nicely. Likewise, don’t be surprised when Sable’s aggro shifts and he strikes down the healer. Don’t panic. Rez/Raise the healer ASAP and continue on until Sable is dead. A stop-gap healer can help while the main healer is getting back on their feet.

You can fight Lord Sable as you wish to, but keep in mind his aggro shifts randomly from player to player. To keep him from running all over the place I feel its best that the PUG stay as close together as possible so that he doesn’t move much. This will also make it easier for the healer(s) in the group to keep the group healed via mass heals. Furthermore, folks won’t be out of range for that rez/raise should they need one.

Please refer to the image I created below. For some folks a picture can be worth a 1000 words. Also, if you’ve made a video and/or want to share your experiences and insights please do so. I’m interested in learning other ways to do this fight and the quest in general. It would also be neato if someone could cover how the thralls relate to the end fight and the part about the rats.

Some details can also be found on Wiki:
    http://ddowiki.com/page/A_Study_in_Sable

Lord Sable Battle Plan

All the best,

Livmo

*The first person on Sarlona that correctly identifies the author and book I pulled these references from in this segment will get a nifty prize. Please send me a private message with your response and player name in game.
    Last edited by Livmo; 02-20-2014 at 04:58 PM.

Thank you for posting, but I do not feel that you have posted a solution at all. The first requirement of the solution that you propose is that there is a healer in the group. That is not the way that the current game works. People do not want to run healers right now. Where people stand or not is made irrelevant by the fact that you believe a healer is required to complete this quest in a pug group. My thinking is that there has to a better solution for non pug healer groups which pretty much the vast majority of pug groups right now.
    Norg Fighter12/Paladin6/Monk2, Jacquiej Cleric18/Monk1/Wiz1, Rabiez Bard16/Ranger3/Cleric1, Hangover Bard L20, Boomsticks Fighter12/Monk 6/Druid 2, Grumblegut Ranger8/Paladin6/Monk6, Rabidly Rogue L20, Furiously Rogue10/Monk6/Paladin4, Snowcones Cleric 12/Ranger 6/Monk 2, Norge Barbarian 12/FVS4/Rogue4. Guild:Prophets of The New Republic Khyber.

Default :d

Quote Originally Posted by maddmatt70 View Post
    Thank you for posting, but I do not feel that you have posted a solution at all. The first requirement of the solution that you propose is that there is a healer in the group. That is not the way that the current game works. People do not want to run healers right now. Where people stand or not is made irrelevant by the fact that you believe a healer is required to complete this quest in a pug group. My thinking is that there has to a better solution for non pug healer groups which pretty much the vast majority of pug groups right now.
    I should point out here that this can be done without a healer. I've pugged this with no healers lots of times with great success on EE. However, I recommend a healer tho. It will go allot smoother if you have people in group new to the quest. Which would be true for the whole quest in general on EE.

If/when you get the right mix of people you do not need a healer and he will drop fast. Keep in mind I did not share all the details. I'm hoping others will fill in the rest. A savvy group of surly savages can make quick work of Lord Sable. I've ransacked that end chest with a party of only 3 before and no healer class amongst us per se and we skipped saving the thalls and killed them upon entering the crypt.

Get some peeps you are comfortable puggin' with and try it without a healer. I know you can do it without one. Maybe you want to try my method after you kill the rats first if you don't have a healer?

~

OK I will throw in another juicy. Lord Sable will stop and taunt you. Use those few seconds to wail on him and then move away when he is about to finish. You can get in allot of extra shots when he stops and taunts.

~

Edit, this quest can also be solo ed on EE. Perhaps someone would be willing to share the those details in this thread?

nvm
    Distributed - Currently on life 72.

Default Pillars

Quote Originally Posted by Livmo View Post
    Edit, this quest can also be solo ed on EE. Perhaps someone would be willing to share the those details in this thread?
    No bites or takers? Sometimes the hardest part is gettin' started? It will take an afternoon to do, or allot more, if you want the golem as well

I will throw out a hint to get the party started regarding the end fight if you want a piece of Sable on your own. You can keep/use one or more of the pillars to help you deal with the baddies and Sable.

Crickets...?

@ op Get of the idea of a "healer" , Turbine killed the dedicated healer years ago,
    Just kite 'm around in the light, ranged dps/Dot's are your best friend here

A large % of melee's is bladeforged these days, they can be healed by any other class with a sp item and cocoon/recon sla. Scrolls work too
    A sorc (wich is popular due to shiradi) can toss repairs/recon's too
    Tbh, you need to have your own heals in EE's.

Edit:
    pugging a quest on EE for the first time is generaly a bad idea, too many people expect to be caried through a completion with their 398 hp rog etc.

As for soloing, kite, dot, kite, pew pew, kite rince and repeat.
    Get self healing, speed boosts, fast healing, dps etc on 1 toon
    Last edited by lyrecono; 02-25-2014 at 08:05 AM. Reason: clarification

I soloed it on EE my 1st time through. The quest is quite fun, lord sable hits quite hard, but i was on a ranger life, so i basically kited him for the whole time, waiting for MS/10k stars to be available. I broke all pillars just to have more places where he was vulnerable. Considering my gear sucks and i was only lvl27 it took me several MS/10k stars and a couple of unbrilded fury to get it down. To be honest it wasn't that hard though, just long. Rats were quite annoying cause, even being a halfling, lining them up for IPS was basically impossible while kiting, so i had to kill them one by one while avoiding Lord sable. The knockdown effect was kinda annoying (dunno if it has a save or not), his other spells and abilities weren't a real treat.
    Cannith: Hazrael--Nyal--Thalax

Default Me too!

Quote Originally Posted by pHo3nix View Post
    I soloed it on EE my 1st time through. The quest is quite fun, lord sable hits quite hard, but i was on a ranger life, so i basically kited him for the whole time, waiting for MS/10k stars to be available. I broke all pillars just to have more places where he was vulnerable. Considering my gear sucks and i was only lvl27 it took me several MS/10k stars and a couple of unbrilded fury to get it down. To be honest it wasn't that hard though, just long. Rats were quite annoying cause, even being a halfling, lining them up for IPS was basically impossible while kiting, so i had to kill them one by one while avoiding Lord sable. The knockdown effect was kinda annoying (dunno if it has a save or not), his other spells and abilities weren't a real treat.
    Damn rats nipped my behind too! To survive that first run I used 3 Blade Barriers and ran in a large circle to get their health down, so I could pick them off one by one. I was too slow at casting Flame Turret (got killed trying), so I don't use it.

For me the worst was getting knocked down and mobbed. I discovered the pillar(s) while running for my life after being knocked down and trying to heal : ) )

Default So True!

Quote Originally Posted by lyrecono View Post
    Edit:
    pugging a quest on EE for the first time is generaly a bad idea, too many people expect to be caried through a completion with their 398 hp rog etc.
    I've seen players go down from just one of Sable's hits. I will get up in his face when he taunts, because I know he won't swing again till he stops . I try to move away and not get cleaved at that point However, I've seen peeps not move in time after the taunt and cleaved to death as well.

Default Sweetening the pot...

*The first person on Sarlona that correctly identifies the author and book I pulled these references from in this segment will get a nifty prize. Please send me a private message with your response and player name in game.
    Nobody has claimed the prize, so I've upped it to this:

Please refer to the paragraph in the original post for the clues.

Damn rats nipped my behind too! To survive that first run I used 3 Blade Barriers and ran in a large circle to get their health down, so I could pick them off one by one. I was too slow at casting Flame Turret (got killed trying), so I don't use it.

For me the worst was getting knocked down and mobbed. I discovered the pillar(s) while running for my life after being knocked down and trying to heal : ) )
    Eheh, you can't stop running while there are rats or he'll knock you down and rats might box you
    Cannith: Hazrael--Nyal--Thalax

Default Silly me!

Quote Originally Posted by pHo3nix View Post
    Eheh, you can't stop running while there are rats or he'll knock you down and rats might box you
    Yep and I remember thinking, "I can't believe this. I got killed by rats? OMG!"

I'm sure the person resposible for the rats in the quest has a big grin : ) )

Nobody has claimed the prize, so I've upped it to this:

Please refer to the paragraph in the original post for the clues.
    Printers ink by Frederick Barnard?

Predictable results in unpredictable times by covey and Whitman?

Default No

Quote Originally Posted by lowborne View Post
    Printers ink by Frederick Barnard?
    No this is not the book and author. However it has to do with pillars. I'm surprised none of our scientists jumped on this:

"I want to point out that two of the traditional methods for boss fights and other fights in DDO that allot of folks use do not translate well in dealing with Lord Sable in the end fight. You may or may not find what I have to say to by iconoclastic, but that is my aim here. I want to break the old pillars of knowledge and shift your paradigm regarding how you deal with Lord Sable in a group/PUG*."
    Last edited by Livmo; 02-27-2014 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Orginal date of publication was 1962

Chaos and fractals by David Feldman?

Default Warmer?

Quote Originally Posted by lowborne View Post
    Chaos and fractals by David Feldman?
    Here is another neat book on Chaos, "Chaos: Making a New Science" by James Gleick (Author)

Although not the right answer, your in the right genre (science).

Community Member

The value of science, Henri poincare?

Default Closer

Quote Originally Posted by Jasongnc2 View Post
    The value of science, Henri poincare?
    The book I'm refering to came out 4 years after Poincare's. Also my author was an American physicist and philosopher of science. Poincaré would be his French contemporary.
    Last edited by Livmo; 02-27-2014 at 04:01 PM.

10 pillars of human knowledge by Chaim zins?

Barring that something by Copernicus?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast