Community Member

Default Mechanic who hates crossbows

Okay, so first off - sorry for the weird request. This all happened because I wanted to make a build themed around batman (grenades, shurikens, and fists) for fun. It was a blast until I crafted my first grenades and realized it uncentered me, and that sort of turned me off to that idea. But in the process I learned that I love using grenades! I had never tried it before and they are a blast (pun absolutely intended).

Only issue is that I hate using crossbows. I just don't like the feel of it. So if anyone has any build ideas for a grenade-lobbing mechanic who doesn't use crossbows that would be a blast. So any sort of grenades and [x] for the other half of my damage. Maybe quarterstaffs and mix in acrobat, or maybe splash in ranger and use bows, or maybe just go twf and some assassin... Or maybe just mostly mechanic and use throwers instead. I dunno.

I was thinking of going ahead with the 'batman' idea, but just ditching the melee portion of it and just use shurikens and grenades instead. I would just need minimum 3 monk to get the 'advanced ninja training' which would give me dex to damage and a dex% chance to throw another star (that also would stack with shuriken proficiency). Becoming uncentered every time I switch to grenades would be annoying though... Any thoughts/ suggestions?
    Proud member of the Extreme Explorer Permadeath guild on Sarlona.
    http://extremeexplorers.guildportal....4&TabID=856487

Quote Originally Posted by Nayo View Post
    Okay, so first off - sorry for the weird request. This all happened because I wanted to make a build themed around batman (grenades, shurikens, and fists) for fun. It was a blast until I crafted my first grenades and realized it uncentered me, and that sort of turned me off to that idea. But in the process I learned that I love using grenades! I had never tried it before and they are a blast (pun absolutely intended).

Only issue is that I hate using crossbows. I just don't like the feel of it. So if anyone has any build ideas for a grenade-lobbing mechanic who doesn't use crossbows that would be a blast. So any sort of grenades and [x] for the other half of my damage. Maybe quarterstaffs and mix in acrobat, or maybe splash in ranger and use bows, or maybe just go twf and some assassin... Or maybe just mostly mechanic and use throwers instead. I dunno.

I was thinking of going ahead with the 'batman' idea, but just ditching the melee portion of it and just use shurikens and grenades instead. I would just need minimum 3 monk to get the 'advanced ninja training' which would give me dex to damage and a dex% chance to throw another star (that also would stack with shuriken proficiency). Becoming uncentered every time I switch to grenades would be annoying though... Any thoughts/ suggestions?
    Have you considered a DEX/INT elven mechanic?

You can capitalize on having a high INT (for grenade DC's) and a high DEX for damage (using one of the two elven sets) as well as trappy skills.

You'll have pointed ears--like a bat--and you can use weapons doing a bit more damage than a dagger or kukri using DEX.

Quote Originally Posted by Nayo View Post

Batman doesn't use guns , I can dig it.

I'd just go halfling to get the tier III dex to damage returning thrower enh.
    After that it is all up to you.
    Except maybe tier IV for +1 critical on throwers.

Other option is to go with some arti to get the int to damage spell. Still need dex for to hit but frees up your racial choice and gives some utility spells.