Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shorlong View Post
    Seriously? SERIOUSLY?! Like...REALLY?! Some people got laid off, it sucks, it really does. But losing 4 people from a staff of around 50 isn't going to do a LOT in the long run. Some will be promoted to fill the void left by leads, but the game will keep chugging along. It was even mentioned in the article that the majority of the hit was LotRO, so again, it's not going to affect this game that badly. They said that all plans are still on, and gave no indication that we should expect anything less for next year. In the twitch that cordovan had last week, he even talked about some more of the future plans that will be looked into after this year.....

Just give it a freaking break already. Jesus, when they let go of a major count of people in 2012 there wasn't this much panic....
    Arguably- and personally- that's when things started to go downhill in terms of content release and quality. Say what you will, but layoffs in any sense are not good. I won't pretend to know the ratio of VIP to premium players, but based on the number of folks I've seen jump from the former to the latter it's probably not insignificant. And it's a sure thing that premium players with any sense would reconsider buying content to a game they felt was closing shop. If the premium revenue stream dried up, that could end things regardless.

It doesn't matter what the actual state of things are if the perception of things is that bad.

Quote Originally Posted by FrancisP.Fancypants View Post
    Arguably- and personally- that's when things started to go downhill in terms of content release and quality. Say what you will, but layoffs in any sense are not good. I won't pretend to know the ratio of VIP to premium players, but based on the number of folks I've seen jump from the former to the latter it's probably not insignificant. And it's a sure thing that premium players with any sense would reconsider buying content to a game they felt was closing shop. If the premium revenue stream dried up, that could end things regardless.

It doesn't matter what the actual state of things are if the perception of things is that bad.
    Whoa, a reasonable post? Who are you and what did you do with Fancypants <3

Quote Originally Posted by HotMaarl View Post
    ... full of emo nerdraging internet trolls.
    ... and spineless yes-persons.
    ~~~ ~ ~~~ turning each thread into a p2w discussion since 2012 ~~~ ~ ~~~

Quote Originally Posted by morkahn82 View Post
    But mostly nerd-raging emo trolls.
    "Implosion: For when you just HAVE to kill every M**********R in the room"-
    (Samuel L Jackson)

"Some are insane, and the're in charge"

Sarlona: Mercilless, Maliciouss, Relenttless. Plus others.....

Quote Originally Posted by relenttless View Post
    But mostly nerd-raging emo trolls.
    yes-persons are more active on facebook clicking on like buttons. indeed.
    ~~~ ~ ~~~ turning each thread into a p2w discussion since 2012 ~~~ ~ ~~~

Quote Originally Posted by morkahn82 View Post
    You mean the ones that will join any troll-train, right?
    Dystopia = utopia achieved

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    ....to go into "turtle mode" about layoffs. The single worst thing you could possibly do, ever, *EVER* in an MMO is let doubt about the future of the game creep in. The suggestion that all your hard work over years may soon be sunset is the worst possible fear for an online gamer, and so such fears garner the most vehement doom-crying and spread the fastest and deepest. Even if its really nothing to worry about, people will worry.

Don't hide behind corporate speak, repeating the same lawyer-wrought quotes. Don't hide behind corporate policy - if you need someone's permission, go get someone's permission. If they don't give it, ask again. If they keep refusing, go all Snowden on 'em and leak it anonymously to Massively or someone :P If you don't, you risk letting the seeds of doubt take root, and you'll have to go into damage-control mode sooner or later anyway.

I think you already know the value of openness and frankness with your playerbase, learned many times over with things like the EP, the rollout of ETR, etc. The only valid reason to withhold anything is for the personal privacy of the people involved. Let us know what the "restructuring" entails, and how it will affect the future of the game. We know one community relations staffer was let go, and that's often the first sign that a game is being tracked towards sunset, because a game on the way to the abattoir no longer has a need to liaise with their playerbase.

You know we're big boys and girls, so treat us like mature adults and we'll take it like mature adults. Try to hide it from us like little kids, telling us that Fluffy just went to live on a big farm, and screaming histrionic little kids is what you're going to get :P
    none left to answer..
    Taenebrae, Daemonsoul, Daemoneyes and Daemonheart of Argonessen
    Glitzakram - Trade Thread

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

Just frankness and honesty. No corporate doublespeak or carefully-couched statements
    Frank honesty? It is how the gaming industry is run. Go look up layoffs online, they are all over the place Companies wise. Turbine is not special in this aspect.

It was stated a few times now in the PC threads about how one of their goals is to improve player perception regarding transparency.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

I'm not worried a bit. I'm pretty sure DDO will last until April 4th. Who's with me? It would be awesome to start a guild.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicMew View Post
    Whoa, a reasonable post? Who are you and what did you do with Fancypants <3
    Lol, you mean my usual sarcasm and dry wit sounds like crazy and exiteable hyperbole?

Quote Originally Posted by slarden View Post
    To me the big question is will Turbine be able to renew the license for D&D beyond 2015 (not sure when in 2015 it expires.... but that year has been mentioned alot as the year it expires). If I hear they've reached a longer term agreement I would feel much better about the future of the game. I am not a doomer, but any reasonable person would wonder what future the game has with layoffs, no communication and a license that expires in 2015.

I hope for the best and will continue to support the game with purchases, but my purchases may be declining a bit as I will assume anything I spend could be very short term.
    The old license expired in 2015, the one from when they were partnered from Atari. When the lawsuit was finished in 2012, the license went back to WotC, and Turbine resigned a new one that supposedly goes for 10 years. Now, whether the ten years is true or not is not for us to know, as it wasn't made public, but the new license is, and I doubt they would only sign for three years knowing that they where getting ready to launch into Forgotten Realms with the WotC back Lolth storyline...

Again though, the layoffs on DDO side were minimal. At last count, we had three (or was it four?) of the devs laid off, out of around 50-60 developers, artists, designers, engineers, producers, etc. Yes, two of them (or was it three?) were lead devs, but they were part of a team of leads that I assume, knowing what I know about business (not a whole lot, but enough to sound impressive to my little cousin...) would have someone else from that lead team take over their responsibilities and probably promote from within.

The biggest thing to think about, however, is that in the MMO world, outside of around 3-4 games, you never know when your money is being spent on something very short term. Look at City of Heroes. Game was chugging along fine, just had a successful F2P transition, had bleed some old school vets but brought in many new people. Then, suddenly, out of literally nowhere...they announce they are closing shop in three months. Same thing happened with MxO. Game was bleeding like crazy, so many bugs, and Sony bought it, cleaned up the bugs but started to "standardize" it, make it fit in with other MMOs at the time. Chugged along for about three years after that. Didn't really lose any subs, but didn't gain any, either. I think everyone that was playing at the end was playing at the beginning. Then it was announced in June of 2009 it was shutting down. August 1st, game was done. Granted, the first three or four months of 2009 saw a huge drop in subs (somewhere in the neighborhood of around 500 active subs come June 2009.)

Point is, you never know when it's going down. I'll pay VIP and buy points until the day they announce no new content. Once that happens, well, you know.
    Shorlong - Pale Master, Cevon - Druid Archer, Gorgnak - Barbarian, Addanc - Bear Tank, Juristash - Shadar Kai Assassin, Treiah - Morninglord Tempest Ranger, Baylfyre - CC Bard, Deimanus - Bladeforged Melee Arti, Daerian - Healing Cleric Morninglord, Krazig - Pally Tank, Veriste - Shadar Kai Death Knight, Xanapheia - TWF FVS, Helainia - Shadar Kai Henshin-Theif

Leader of The Dark Creed

Miasto Stołeczne Warszawa (The Capital City of Warsaw)

Regardless of whatever the reasons were, the only replies turbine can produce are:
    • [1]Fired individuals were responsible for many of current ongoing game issues and bugs (IE put blame on something in game on someone fired)
      [2]People that left turbine must take care of their personal issues, and/or they wanted to change their work (IE it has nothing to do with game).

Whatever happened, you will never hear any company admiting they let the good people go.

Just frankness and honesty. No corporate doublespeak or carefully-couched statements.

Something along the lines of "Two community relations and one network management position were terminated as cost saving measures. These cuts may reduce our responsiveness, especially during gameplay outages, but they do not affect the core development team. WB has made no long-term decisions about the game and we are proceeding with our usual short- and long-term development cycles."

Or, if its true, "Our core development team has lost two members. While we predict that we will be able to complete all currently planned updates in their original projected timeframe, future updates may be less ambitious or be spaced further apart. However, these cuts will allow DDO to maintain profitability without any additional cuts or changes." (or something to that effect, I know they never talk about profit or deficit).

Basically, we know the layoffs happened. Either that will negatively affect Turbine's operations in some way (and we deserve to know how, and how much), or it wont (and, therefore, Turbine has been wasting money on unnecessary positions). Since I think Turbine is a fairly professional business run by competent people, I assume its the former.
    Last time i checked DDO has lost devs many times right? even after motu right? so this isn't really anything new. we also saw other devs come around too. So let's not worry about it. We aren't even close to 2015. so there is no reason why we should know any plans for then. its so far away

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12