Default This old chestnut: current (U20/21) "best" slot for greensteel for multiple lives?

Okay, this is a common question. But the loot available has changed a lot since the last in-depth discussion of this that I can find. All slots are useful, and any slot will conflict with at least one excellent item (for some builds). That said, it's just not feasible to custom-craft new greensteel for every TR life. So -- what is currently the best single slot to dedicate to greensteel for heroic TR lives?

I've recently returned to the game and I'm about to re-start the TR train on my main dude and finally go for Completionist. I want to prepare one greensteel item for proper twinkage in the 11 - 20 heroic levels across multiple different lives. Some lives will be melee, some will be casting, some will be ranged. I'm looking for as close as possible to a generic slot.

With the ready availability of augment slots, the various new gear (revamped Gianthold stuff, the FR equipment, the challenge items, etc.), and the incredible improvement in the quality of random lootgen stuff (Deadly items, resistance +6/7, etc.) . . . I really can't justify wearing two pieces of greensteel full time anymore. And I'm not even sure where best to put the one piece I do want to wear (which will be a Conc Opp HP item).

I currently have an HP cloak (earth x 3, not ideal but it was my first, years ago) and a pair of Conc Opp SP goggles. But giving up the cloak and goggles slots are painful to me; as I level up my guy, I keep coming across items that would be great to use there instead (e.g., the cloak of flames on my current fire savant life, or my Tharnes goggles on melee lives). But I don't want to give up the nearly irreplaceable 45 HP and the Conc Opp procs.

Help me out, guys. Where are you slotting your greensteel HP for multi-TR builds? What's easiest to give up? (Especially in the 15-20 region, where there's a lot more competition from good items and where the difficulty of maintaining an elite streak ramps up to the point where optimal gearing becomes fairly important.)

I'm currently leaning toward helmet, now that the +20 vitality from Minos can be easily slotted elsewhere. Also considering belt, now that the TOD belts have been pretty completely outclassed, but there seem to be a bunch of other options there. Maybe gloves? One problem with either gloves or helm is that I quite like the Wrath of Sora Kell Set for several levels (13-17ish) for most builds, but I'm definitely willing to give that up. And there are a couple of nice sources of Devotion in the glove slot that will be useful for self-healing melees who can't/won't use caster weapons and don't have red slots available (due to using greensteel weapons, etc.).

Help me out, please? As you can tell, I'm talking myself around in circles on this decision.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizard_Zero View Post
    One day I just wrote "Why Do I Die So Much?" in party chat, and that is how I learned about fortification.

Slots That I have found "Available" for Greensteel for different classes

1. Belt

I agree with the TOD set, but for levels 11 to 17 (Pre TOD items) this belt was commonly used to slot Constitution/False Life/Fortification. These are features have more options now available.

2. Cloak

Exception being Cloaks of Night for lower levels, the cloak spot at the beginning (at least for me) was a common swap out spot for cloaks with elemental resistances, but this was prior to Ship Buffs. I still find that this spot is still usually very flexible a slot.

3. Helmet

Minos Legends was the primary item for this slot that would be in contention with GS. However, with Vitality now coming on different sources as well as augments it is not as needed as it once was. Still a very good "Starter" item. The problem comes later on in the Epic Levels where there are some nice Helmet options some which are part of sets (ie Dragon helmets). But for TR purposes such as 1 to 20 and back again these Epic helms don't need to be considered.

At this time if I had to choose which slot I would make a GS item I would pick Helmet. But only for the TR turn around as it would not compete with anything until Epic Levels.

I usually use the belt slot for my green steel hp item. There are too many good items for the cloak & gloves slots. Helmet & goggles would be my next choices.

Default Goggles

I went with goggles myself. I can situationally change them as necessary. This drops the hitpoints temporarily, but that is a single pot recovery and, honestly, I hardly ever do it during my regular questing. I use 45 HP concordant opposition goggles. Don't forget that +6 wisdom is +3 will save!

Quote Originally Posted by Enoach View Post
    Slots That I have found "Available" for Greensteel for different classes

1. Belt

I agree with the TOD set, but for levels 11 to 17 (Pre TOD items) this belt was commonly used to slot Constitution/False Life/Fortification. These are features have more options now available.

2. Cloak

Exception being Cloaks of Night for lower levels, the cloak spot at the beginning (at least for me) was a common swap out spot for cloaks with elemental resistances, but this was prior to Ship Buffs. I still find that this spot is still usually very flexible a slot.

3. Helmet

Minos Legends was the primary item for this slot that would be in contention with GS. However, with Vitality now coming on different sources as well as augments it is not as needed as it once was. Still a very good "Starter" item. The problem comes later on in the Epic Levels where there are some nice Helmet options some which are part of sets (ie Dragon helmets). But for TR purposes such as 1 to 20 and back again these Epic helms don't need to be considered.

At this time if I had to choose which slot I would make a GS item I would pick Helmet. But only for the TR turn around as it would not compete with anything until Epic Levels.
    I've been (slowly) remaking all my greensteels to go in belt slots for HP GS's...and for Con-Op/SP greensteels I've been putting them in the goggle slot. In heroic levels, I usually wear the Mantle of the Worldshaper in the cloak slot. It's a free +5% xp during optionals (which adds up) and lets me be lazy and not have to remember to swap in my Voice. There's too much competition in my trinket slots to leave the Voice in all the time. In epic levels I really like the epic Cloak of Night.

I haven't seen anything really exciting in the heroic goggle slot, except maybe Tharnes (if you do sneak attack damage). For trapping lives I cannith craft my trap gear, so I don't need to depend on lootgen goggles.

In heroic levels, helm has a few nice choices, including the Abashai set, the Sora Kell set, Minos, etc. In epic levels Tor dragon helms are pretty sweet. I'd be hard pressed to give that slot up for a green steel. I find the goggle slot much easier to give up than the helm slot.

I know you specify only for being on the heroic TR treadmill, but, unless you want to re-make all your greensteel again, it doesn't hurt to consider where you'll slot it in epic levels as well. I realize gear changes, but it's just one factor to consider, and it makes a handy way to break ties. (if you equally find goggle and belt useless in heroic levels, for example, which one are you better able to fill with nice named gear in epic levels?)

I am personally slotting my green steel in the waist slot. As others have said, head and goggles are probably the other only options without losing out on something great on one or more lives.

Back - Way too many things compete for this slot.
    Gloves - +8 heroic stat item now goes here.
    Boots - To many things compete for this slot now also.
    Bracer - Actually an option considering how weak the slot is later and diversity of the new random loot. Epic seems to have people slotting convelecse of parry (heal amp 30/stacking resist) that no longer drops so seems to be a "let's put something here" cause there isn't anything else that says "wow!"

Default Depends

I would say it mostly depends on what you think you are going to end up in your final life.

Waist is great slot, unless you plan on running a trapper of some sort. The Spare Hand from the House C Challenges is great for a trapper.

Cape can be a great slot. Unless there are particular cloaks that you think you will like, keep and use on your build.

I definitely think the helm is the best place, as a replacement for the old Minos staple.

For my arti TR project Goggles don't work as I plan on wearing Int in my goggles slot through most lives, and I found on my other caster it does not work well for a con-op item cause when I start a quest out using Flesh Renderer Visor, I lose all the bonus spell points anyway. A HP items should be fine in other cases for goggles.
    Panzermeyer - Huge Terry Brooks Shannara Fan

Main
    Jelara Shannara - Human Caster/Intim/Tank Druid (TR XXI - Barb x3, Drd x3, FvS x3, Pal x3, Rgr x1, Rog x2, Sorc x3, Wiz x3 - EtR XVI - Epic Completionist - ItR III - PDK x3)
    Alts
    DamsonRhee Shannara - PDK Swashbuckler
    Challenge Farmer
    Eritria Shannara - Human Swashbuckler
    (TR VII - Ftr x3, Sorc x1, Wiz x3 EtR - Prim x1)
    Kirisin Shannara - Sun Elf Enlightend Spirit Warlock Tank (TR XIV - Barb x1, Bard x1, Clc x3, Fvs x3, Sorc x3, Wiz x3 - EtR VII - Primal, x2, Mart x2, Div x3 - ItR - MLE x3)
    RueMeridian - Gnome Artificer (TR I - Arti x1 - EtR II - Primal x1, Div x1)