Default Is it possible to sneak through Missing?

Yesterday I learned about a fast way to run Missing -- if you are willing to forego Burno Vass and Guard Prosser optionals. After getting Evidence 1 (bill of sale) do not proceed to the playground, but return to the canal and swim west. There you can collect Evidence 2 and 3 with relatively little fighting -- a few mind flayers and Taken. We ran the quest several times in this manner; two times we killed Pale Fire, but it was by choice -- it is entirely possible to stay away from her.

So my question is -- can a rogue at level solo this quest in the above manner without alerting anything? End fight cannot be avoided, of course, but aside from that?
    "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

"Of course it is. Are YOU going to question beholder's artistic sense?"

Sneaking is probably way too slow.
    With Dimension Door/DD hire and Invis scrolls, it's one of the best xp / min quests in game and well worth running ( even ehn or daily runs with Litany, Shadowcrypt, Von3, Wizking etc ).
    Go for Devious, shouldn't take you more than 5-6 minutes. Forget optionals or swim, take DD.

Shahang (fvs caster), Bellezza (assassin), Wipekin (monkcher), Farida (air savant), Nezhat (melee) Ghallanda/Devourer

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by brian14 View Post
    Yesterday I learned about a fast way to run Missing -- if you are willing to forego Burno Vass and Guard Prosser optionals. After getting Evidence 1 (bill of sale) do not proceed to the playground, but return to the canal and swim west. There you can collect Evidence 2 and 3 with relatively little fighting -- a few mind flayers and Taken. We ran the quest several times in this manner; two times we killed Pale Fire, but it was by choice -- it is entirely possible to stay away from her.

So my question is -- can a rogue at level solo this quest in the above manner without alerting anything? End fight cannot be avoided, of course, but aside from that?
    If you're a rogue, just cast invisible. I farm this quest every life. I did it on my last rogue life, but I think I just invisid through because sneaking was too slow. Even without DDoor, these are three minute completions, and ddoor can knock off about half a minute. Definitely a good xp/min farming quest.

Quote Originally Posted by brian14 View Post

I did that yesterday with my solo Ninja Spy. I did stop to tag the madman and locate the Swiftfoot lair, but fought very little, skipped the chest-related optionals and bypassed most of the Taken and other mobs. I think I pulled a Devious bonus as a result and completed in about 20 minutes on Hard (1 level over my character at the time).

The challenge that a Rogue will have (provided you have strong Hide/Move Silently skills of 30 or better) is your DPS and healing. If you've added UMD points to use wands or scrolls, especially Invisibility to aid with reducing Spot checks at closer range, you're likely OK to navigate just as you described. Thankfully the end fight's beholder doesn't have an anti-magic cone so you should come out ahead.
    Editor, The Book of Syncletica: An unofficial DDO Monk Guide, and Stormreach Shadows: An unofficial DDO Stealth Guide
    The Order of Syncletica: A DDO-flavored blog on Monks and gameplay and more

The rogue in question is pure Acrobat. Currently level 12, I expect to run the chain at level 16 -- he already has Nature's Vengeance from a sibling character. Hide and Move Silently will certainly be above 30; for healing I think I will summon a cleric hireling just before the end fight.
    "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

"Of course it is. Are YOU going to question beholder's artistic sense?"

Community Member Talon_Moonshadow's Avatar

Tharask Hounds have Blindsense (in the direction they are facing).

Reavers can See Invis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jandric View Post
    ..., but I honestly think the solution is to group with less whiny people.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Talon_Moonshadow View Post

Reavers can See Invis.
    You will have to kill two reavers with the invis method.

Quote Originally Posted by jalont View Post
    You will have to kill two reavers with the invis method.
    You don't need to kill anything except the end beholder using the invis method.

You might sometimes get a bit of DA before the ddoor, but no big deal, it goes away after you ddoor and before the boss.

Reavers can See Invis.
    Spiders, T/Hounds and wraiths generally chase you immediately even in Sneak because of their abilities, yes.

Doesn't mean you can't use the quest's territorial borders to escape them, specifically the canal (over or in it), building tops, ladders and the like.

While Reavers may see invisibility, they have to Spot you through your Sneak ability as with most anything else.

Being an Acrobat, their new vaulting ability might be quite useful in Sneak to get from place to place.
    Editor, The Book of Syncletica: An unofficial DDO Monk Guide, and Stormreach Shadows: An unofficial DDO Stealth Guide

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrNuegebauer View Post
    You don't need to kill anything except the end beholder using the invis method.

You might sometimes get a bit of DA before the ddoor, but no big deal, it goes away after you ddoor and before the boss.
    You have to open a door to get the second book that is protected by two greater hounds and a reaver. The reaver insta aggros on you. I've found it much easier to kill these mobs. YMMV.

Community Member Talon_Moonshadow's Avatar

Reavers can See Invis.
    I was simply pointing out two obstacles to sneaking or running Invisible; not saying anyone couldn't find ways to deal with these problems.

Edit: I mention those two because I see players in-game who seem unaware of those traits of those monsters.
    (my favorite is the large amount of players that think they can run Invisible through Drow quests. )
    Quote Originally Posted by Jandric View Post
    ..., but I honestly think the solution is to group with less whiny people.

I was simply pointing out two obstacles to sneaking or running Invisible; not saying anyone couldn't find ways to deal with these problems.

Edit: I mention those two because I see players in-game who seem unaware of those traits of those monsters.
    (my favorite is the large amount of players that think they can run Invisible through Drow quests. )
    Or anywhere, from my experience. That armor that others wear makes them as loud as church bells from two feet away. The new AI hones on you hyperfast.

Same on See-Invisibility is true for many giants, especially in Gianthold or the Fens. Hell, their Spot bonus begins, oh, about a mile away from where you are. Once you can see them clearly, you're already too close.