Thread: Tank help

Community Member

Default Tank help

So I am now a level 4 pure fighter however I am still taking a lot of damage. I was wondering if I should go down the cleric path a bit to get some heals and other buffs. I have 8 wisdom however I can get gear to get it to 14 that isn't terrible. Should I pick up some cleric skill or what is suggested for a tank?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lilinoth View Post
    So I am now a level 4 pure fighter however I am still taking a lot of damage. I was wondering if I should go down the cleric path a bit to get some heals and other buffs. I have 8 wisdom however I can get gear to get it to 14 that isn't terrible. Should I pick up some cleric skill or what is suggested for a tank?
    Get all the + protection items you can get like +2 protect necklace same with natural armor+ items get battle plate when you can get it.Cleric 1 level is very useful being able to use the cure crit wands actually all cleric wands but you really should of started out with higher wisdom first wont stop you from using wands though.
    Guild leader Thelanis - Rexit, Guild leader Gallanda -Rextexx, Guild leader Khyber - Rexwar, and former guild leader Argonnessen - Rexonater

If you have any friends with cannith crafting skills, see if they can make you an unbound "Armor of Invulnerability" and possibly a moderate fort item. At this level, 5 points of magic DR helps you shrug off more damage than AC does (except against red name bosses).

Self healing is also very useful, but not required in heroic levels. There are various ways of getting it at low levels without multi-classing, but they are admittedly much easier to acquire if you already have a higher level character that can pass items to your low level character.

2014 DDO Players Council

So I am now a level 4 pure fighter however I am still taking a lot of damage.
    One of the best ways to take less damage is to kill the enemy faster.

I was wondering if I should go down the cleric path a bit to get some heals and other buffs. I have 8 wisdom however I can get gear to get it to 14 that isn't terrible. Should I pick up some cleric skill...?
    Don't multiclass willy-nilly, or you'll likely end up with a poor combination. You should have a plan.

That said, "a bit" of Cleric probably won't be very helpful to you in the long run. For good self-heals on a fleshy Ftr/Clr mix, 12 of your eventual 20 levels as Cleric is a reasonable start, as that would end up giving you access to both the Heal spell and the Cleric healing aura (heal-over-time effect).

But you don't necessarily need to do that, either. Damage Reduction, Physical Resistance Rating, Armor Class (at low levels...it becomes less and less viable at higher levels), Dodge, concealment, incorporeality, are all ways to avoid taking as much damage.

...or what is suggested for a tank?
    Are you sure you're building a tank? Are you sure you want to?

I won't say they are useless, as there are a few situations where they can shine, but in most content, they are not needed and are sub-optimal compared to a more damage-focused build.

There are threads (mostly old ones you will have to Google or search for) which will give you AC break downs so you can find what stacks. But basically if you are making the D&D "Tank" you want the best AC you can find as you level.

You may also want to look up builds (again, these will be old posts usually) so you can find Feat selections and order. 12 Fighter/6 Paladin/2 Monk was a popular "Tank" Build for those who preferred Plate or PJ's except in situations where evasion was mandatory. I will let you look up builds but at level 4 you haven't progressed so far that you can't "reset" by rolling up a new one.

From what I remember from the old AC/Tank builds:
    All Shield Feats
    Combat Expertise (13 Int )
    THF feats
    Bastard Sword (If not Dwarf)
    Dodge (13 Dex , ?)
    Toughness (taken multiple times)
    PA, Cleave, Greater Cleave
    The Feats that grant +4 save (Reflex and Will, ?)

But this is all from memory and could be totally off. It is best if you find a build (as current as possible) to model. The Celestia (Think that is the correct build) used to be Pure Fighter before he rebuilt is from the ground up thanks to Blade Forged and the new Enhancements made staying pure less powerful.

First thing I'll tell you from one tank to another is: Don't listen when people on here tell you tanks are useless. Their view on the game is very, very screwy. I have a level 28 pure fighter so I can tell you a little about tanking and what you have to look forward to as you go along. Right now you're level four mate and as far as tanking goes, all you need to make sure is that you have a high intimidate score, pretty good health, and that you're going up the Stalwart Defender line. Like they've said, it's smart if you go with protection and natural armor since those will boost up your AC. The one thing they didn't mention however is that later on you may wish to go with medium armor so that you can have a decent amount of dodge for the same amount of AC. If you'd like to see at how a pure fighter tank usually works out, I have a build on the forums that I'll post here for you to look at. Have fun tanking!

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...lwart-Defender
    Keep on rollin'.

Community Member

I think you took the tanking feats too early and are not doing enough damage.

At that level, get invulnerability armor from the auction house or trade chat, buy cure potions from a vendor and get healing elixers from collectible turn-ins.

Later on, at level 8 or so, with cleave, great cleave and enough plat income to use haste potions, the game will become a lot easier for you, at least on normal difficulty.
    Kmnh * Kmn * Kmm * Knn * Knm

Leader of Templar

DDo is not exactly setup for the classic Tank, DPS, Crowd Control, Heals setup of most other MMOs. There are a few reaids that used to require a tank, but they aren't run much anymore.

In addition, due to the way damage mitigation is set up, I don't think that a 'tank' character can get enough additional mitigation compared to a 'DPS' character to make a difference in much content.

With that being said:

-----------

In general, it's a terrible idea to try to alter your character plan on the fly. While there are plenty of vets who can probably make a character with three random classes and get them to 20, you probably aren't one of them (yet). That being said, in the current metagame, (well built) multi-classed characters are generally more powerful than single classed characters.
    There are many combinations of fighter + cleric that make viable characters, but most of them require careful planning in the beginning.

-----------

Now, let's go over the different types of damage mitigation available:

1. Armor class (AC)
    Getting a good AC requires stacking multiple pieces of gear, which means that your gear slots are largely accounted for. This means that, for example, you aren't wearing DPS gear instead. This usually means that you don't do enough DPS to be relevant. So, a monster a DPS character could kill in a few seconds, you'll struggle with. SO, even though you theoretically take less damage over time, the amount of time you are 'exposed' to damage is higher.

In low level heroics, I'd guess that AC you just happen to acquire while putting on gear can be useful. But starting in elite heroics around lvl 10, and I'd guess normal heroics around level 15 or 16, the amount of build power you lose by putting on AC gear instead of other gear makes you character weaker overall.

2. Damage reduction (DR)
    Damage reduction is a straight up subtraction from the damage you take. At low levels, it's some of the best damage mitigation available, because the amount of incoming damage is so low. That's why you see people talking about the armor of invulnerability (DR 5/magic). When a kobold thrower does 1 to 6 points of damage, being about to bounce 5 points of damage is really all the damage mitigation you need. But when an orthon cleaves you for 50 or 75 damage, taking 5 from that isn't as helpful.

In general, DR reduction is great as a main source of damage mitigation in elite heroics around level 9. That's because the incoming damage 'packets' are much much larger than the amount of damage reduction you can have. Of course, it does help, and it's only 1 gear slot to equip an item with it. So you may be able to have some anyway.

3. Physical resistance rating (PRR)
    PRR reduces incoming damage based on a percentage. So, for example, PRR 50 reduces damage by 25.67%. So, when an orthon cleaves you for 75 damage, you take only 56 damage. Your PRR reduced incoming damage by 19 points. If you are doing epic elite quests and getting hit for 200 damage at a time, your 50 PRR is providing 51 points of damage mitigation a hit.

Now, using heavy armor and big shields does provide some amount of PRR, but people generally prefer to use other methods to get PRR, because heavy armor prevents evasion, and a big shield uses up one of your hand slots. In addition, the additional damage mitigation gained from more PRR goes down.

4. Dodge
    Dodge provides a straight up chance for the monster to miss. Normally, your maximum dodge percentage is 25%. But your maximum dodge % goes down if you used armor. This is one of the reasons that armor isn't really popular. Once you have 'enough' PRR (around 40 to 80), your want more dodge, not more PRR.

5. concealment (blur, displacement, etc)
    Concealment provides another straight up chance for the monster to miss. Unless your concealment is illusion based and the monster has true seeing. All raid bossses (and a few other monsters have true seeing). Note that concealment provided by 'cloud' type spells isn't negated by true seeing.

6. incorporeality
    Yet another straight up miss chance. Only negated by things with ghost touch, and I don't think any mosters in the game have ghost touch.

------------------------

So, what does this mean for you?

Here's an easy to acquire list of things that'll increase your damage mitigation:

Lvl 3
    Bracer of the wind (ML3 version) available from the cannith challenges. Collect several daily tokens and get advice on how to run them. Run enough of them to get the ML3 bracers, enjoy permanent blur (20% miss chance)

Lvl 4
    Armor of invulnerability (DR 5/ magic)
    Any veteran player with some crafting levels can make you some, just ask. You'll want to wear this until around level 10 to 12.

Lvl 9
    Cloak of invisibility (incorporeality)
    Available from the F2P raid, Tempest Spine. You don't even have to complete the raid to get to the chest that drops the cloak. So it's very easy to farm up.

--------------

Other forms of damage mitigation:

1. elemental resistances. There's a lot of sources of elemental (fire, acid, electricity, cold) damage out there. Having elemental resistances early reduces a lot of spell damage that you would otherwise have to heal.

2. High saving throws.
    Even without evasion, if you save against a spell, you can generally take half damage. When a spell does 200+ points on a failed save, this can mean the difference between life and death.

Hey there and welcome to DDO! I've played Paladin tanks for long time, so I have a few tips for you.

1) At low levels the bad guys don't have a lot of hit points. You are generally best off using as much offense as you can, which means using a two handed weapon instead of weapon and shield. Also use the power attack and cleave feats. I find I don't really have to use a shield until I get into the teens.

2) To "tank" or get aggro, use intimidate as needed, though because opponents have such low hit points it's better just to swing away and only use intimidate if a fellow party member is in trouble.

3) To mitigate most of the damage get your armor class (AC) and PRR as high as you can...this means the best full plate with the highest + (invulnerability is better at low levels if you can get it), a protection item, a natural armor item and a fortification item. Resistance buffs from an airship will be super helpful to reduce enemy caster damage.

4) Use a cleric hireling if you can. At low levels hirelings take little managent, though as you level up their poor AI means you'll need to learn how to control th better. Best thing I found is to leave them parked far away from combat and only smom th to heal you up after the fight is close to over.

5) Get yourself some cure potions to heal yourself up if you don't have a hireling, or you need to heal yourself in a pinch. While you're at it make sure to have some neutralize poison, remove curse, remove blindness, and similar curative potions.
    Aryk Stoutheart, Paladin - Sarlona
    Rindyl Twirliblade, Elven Swashbuckler - Sarlona
    Vyyndar Stoutheart, Vanguard Paladin - Argo

Community Member

Fighter tanking is 1/2 active, 1/2 passive in DDO. Trip, Sap, Stunning blow, Improved Trip, and Hamstring combined with a high intimidate and positioning will control a lot of mobs at once and will make for very smooth dungeon runs. Defensive stats and enough damage to hold aggro are the remaining 1/2.

At epic levels on elite, defensive stats alone will get you destroyed in about six seconds. At lower level, anything goes and tanking isn't really needed.

They will be slower runs than a veteran who is geared out just mowing everything down, but they will be smooth.